• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario cape bugs + up smash untechable?

riku1989

Smash Rookie
While playing with my buddy, i've began to notice something a little odd with mario. For some reason when he used the cape on my shield, i still take damage while being reversed (i dont know if this is supposed to happen¸ but every bit of dmg % counts).

Also, while using the cape, my controls (Left + Right) are reversed for about a 1.5-2 seconds after making contact with the cape, definitely disorienting me (yet making me somewhat unpredictable) making corner gameplay rather difficult. For example if caped first, then if you input a fox side b recovery (fox illusion, ZSS whip), the character will execute the move in the opposite direction still somehow being influenced by cape long after it was used.

Lastly, Mario's Up-smash produces a strong untechable knockback, allowing him to chain 5-6 of these in a row (cant DI/tech out), allowing him to rack on easy percentage. This effect is also noticed when grounded character is hit with the up-smash they are taken aback for a quite a bit of time.

Apart from these issues, it's the same 'ol SSBM mario that we all loved and respected. I found out about this game after randomly stumbling upon a video about project M on youtube last week. I cannot thank you all enough for bringing back the glory days of this game. Of course this is still a beta and the bugs are being rooted out, i just cannot believe how great a job you have all done so far. Keep up the great work and cant wait to see the mystery veteran!

HCK91

Smash Rookie
I thought the reverse controls after getting hit were intentional. Anyway being damaged while shielding is a bit too much XD

riku1989

Smash Rookie
haha agreed. I dont know about the intentional nature of the cape's "control switch" since i've only recently started playing Project M (approximately 4-5 days now, maining ZSS and Charizard), so i cant really say much on that.

but yea that cape-shield tech really does a number on ya.

Also check out his up+smash! uncharged he can easily juggle 5-6 of those at once with ease! all this tech, mario=god tier!? =S

riku1989

Smash Rookie
Good to know, thanks Toaster. If i may ask, do i just mash down? or is it some frame that i need to look out for because i've tried a fair bit and failed probably just as much haha

riku1989

Smash Rookie
Zero-Suit Samus and Charizard (Charizard i can understand since he's fat), but i main ZSS

Bryonato

Green Hat
Another bug I noticed with cape is at random times if you try to execute some sort of move right when mario capes you will randomly shoot up in the air and will be unable to take action until you hit the ground or die.

GMaster171

Smash Ace

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Now that I know its the same thing, I can provide input as well.

Each time Its happened to me, I've been doing a rising aerial (usually approaching the stage, as its one of the safest things Ness can do anyway), and I was caped the instant I did both the DJ and the aerial (basically holding jump and pressing c-stick at the same time.)

In regards to the boot method, Its happened to me on my Wii (running Homebrew method), and on my friends Wii (running hackless).

Finally, if there is still a DL of Demo 2.1, I can easily get a video of a similar bug also resulting in a t-stance due to the DJ+action. I don't know if its the exact same bug, but due to the similarities it seems to me like they are at least related in some way. (heck, I'll try to replicate it using the input assist, or through Dolphin if I can)

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well then you aren't trying hard enough :p, 2nd game against a computer I got it (not recording >.<)

I'm gonna continue recording till I get it, then post a vid of it. Should help the effort.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
You asked and I deliver. Just made a 50s video showing me getting it twice. I'll just put the description from the video here, it sums it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBhjR4S-Inw&feature=youtu.be
Just a short video showing me getting the T-stance bug twice in one match (in the beggining of the video, and at the end) I am of course doing DJCs for the purpose of getting this bug, but this can and does happen in actual matches.
First one at the start of the video was me doing a Rising DJ Dair, being caped. It resulted in what you see in the start.
Second one was honestly unintended. I didn't think I would get the glitch again, so I was just going for a DJC bair for a kill, and it happened. Ended the match as well, as you are unable to recover/ledge grab while in t-stance. The second one resulted from a DJC bair.

As we can see, it happens from both rising jump, DJC and with any aerial, provided Mario capes as you try it.

Finally, in extension, this bug would happen to Lucas due to their identical 2nd jump.

riku1989

Smash Rookie
Thanks KinkLink and Toaster, i'm finally able to get out of the Up Smash. But yes, so i guess in summary (for the time being) there are two notable bugs:

Cape -> damage through shield
Cape -> T-stance confirmed on Ness(video confirm) and Lucas(no video confirm, but jump properties between ness and lucas are practically identical)

Although i started this topic i dont have the hardware/software to record the footage (and i definitely dont want to burn any eyes using an IPhone to record anything). If at all possible can someone please record footage of the cape damaging characters through the shield (i know it works on ZSS and Char, but just so the devs can have an easy confirm) and also if you can, record footage of Lucas forced into the T-stance after the cape?

Sorry for any inconvenience, but i just want to make sure that the higher-ups can see it, and hopefully they can fix it in the next patch. Thanks guys!

-riku1989-

Burnsy

Smash Lord
This has happened to me several times with Lucas, exactly as it did in GMaster's video, on both hackless and homebrew versions.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
to counter the damage through shield thing is it possible to make the cape heal the opponent the same amount it damages so it looks like nothing happened?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
after almost 10 mins of spamming Peach's DJC in front of CPU mario (the exact same thing i did before), I could not get Peach into t-stance. Therefore I'm fairly certain that the t-stance bug is due to the optional DJC the boys have (only difference in the 2 scenarios)

hope these confirmations help something lol.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Cape should just have really low angle KB so you can still gimp with it, but no reversal effect (keeping the projectile reflection). Its a silly property overall, and without the reversal it would probably lose the glitches like these.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Idk personally I prefer the reversal as it adds a lot of character to Mario and gives him a ton of gimping potential. I'm sure all these bugs can be ironed out over time.

lil T

Smash Journeyman
ton of gimping potential is right..At this point mario is just, Knock character of stage then try to cape...Altho if you're going to fight Mario you should know to watch out for it, the move is still pretty crazy.
I don't even care about the damage while in shield, but after you get cape why is the controls Still ****ed up for like 2 seconds after you get caped?
ain't nobody got time for that! :/

Top Bottom