• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Here's a Wacky Cross over for you guys in the Comic series Mario teamed up with Bomberman and TT from Diddy Kong Racing to Meet M&M to stop Ctululu turning everyone into food for his inter-dimension Café....

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It needed to be done if it hasn't already.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My main goal of Smash Bros is to be the best Mario main.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I'm attempting to hold my own against level nine computers. Any tips on how to play Mario better?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Y'know, I just realized something: Why doesn't Mario, Luigi, or even Wario have a ground-pound aka butt stomp move? I know it's something Bowser does in 2D and 3D Mario games, but why not Mario too? I don't remember Yoshi doing butt stomps in early games. Mario Tornado, Luigi Cyclone, and Dr. Tornado are based on the god-power spin jump that debuted Super Mario World, but Mario doesn't tend to do spin jumps in his 3D games and it's not as powerful as it used to be in his recent 2D games.

It'd be a cool dair move or a Down Special, but I'm assuming it's to differentiate Mario from Yoshi's and Bowser's butt stomp despite the fact they many characters have a flying side-kick.

Before anyone says anything about FLUDD, I think it's a good push-back or spacing move. So, I'm not ragging on it or suggesting it be swapped out, I'm just wondering why a ground-pound was never thought of for Mario.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
So I'm attempting to hold my own against level nine computers. Any tips on how to play Mario better?
I'll do my best to help you.

- Play smart, I suppose. Know when to approach and be careful about attacking shields as they can do lots of stuff OoS, but they usuall ydon't.
- D-Throw. Use it and abuse it at low percents. D-throw into Utilt strings work on most everyone to a certain degree.
- Focus less on outright killing, and more on knocking your enemy to the blast zone or far enough to where you can edgeguard them. Mario's Bair is pretty decent at edgeguarding and he has a cape to hit up+b moves and propel the enemy in the other direction.

In general just use Mario's versatile tilts and his really good D-Throw for low percent combos to set up into high percent options like knocking them offstage or sweetspotting Fsmash to kill them or send them into the blast zone. USmash at high percents works too.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
My main goal of Smash Bros is to be the best Mario main.

I'll fight you for that title :)

Also, have been playing some Smash 3d (demo) on and off. Have to say the physics take a bit getting used to, the play style I used in Brawl does not work with Mario in Smash 3d (and I am sure Wii U). I will say this though, he hits hard. I like the changes. The subtle noises from the first mario bros when he connects with a fireball or the cape noise.. Very much appreciated that such polish went into characters like mario. I am having a ball playing the demo. I cannot wait to use mario and possibly doc competitively. Anybody know if you're able to wi-fi battle through the demo??

Oh and to the one who posted above me.. Mario F-smash is a force to be reckoned with. I also really like his neutrals, and d throw too.

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Didn't think it needed a new thread of it's own, so I'll just post it here, why not. Mario's cape somehow recovers Megaman's, and ONLY Megaman's Up-B.(in the demo, anyway. Maybe the same counts for Sonic?) Be carefull with that.

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
It did that in Brawl for recoveries that didn't put the character in helpless, minus an early cancelled Pit wings of Icarus and ROBs up B iirc. (So G&W, Sonic, Snake)

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'll fight you for that title :)

Also, have been playing some Smash 3d (demo) on and off. Have to say the physics take a bit getting used to, the play style I used in Brawl does not work with Mario in Smash 3d (and I am sure Wii U). I will say this though, he hits hard. I like the changes. The subtle noises from the first mario bros when he connects with a fireball or the cape noise.. Very much appreciated that such polish went into characters like mario. I am having a ball playing the demo. I cannot wait to use mario and possibly doc competitively. Anybody know if you're able to wi-fi battle through the demo??

Oh and to the one who posted above me.. Mario F-smash is a force to be reckoned with. I also really like his neutrals, and d throw too.
Ha, well better hurry up cuz my brother got a Japanese version and I am already training my Mario!
Yeah, Mario's FS can lock people if they get near to him. It was awesome!

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
C'mon where's the Red Star color swap? ugh I hope theres DLC for costumes...

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Ha, well better hurry up cuz my brother got a Japanese version and I am already training my Mario!
Yeah, Mario's FS can lock people if they get near to him. It was awesome!

I'm playing the club nintendo demo.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you're testing things, please test D-throw combos for me. I have suspicions about what combos are actually optimal, but given I don't have the game and can't do in depth character specific data right now, I'll have to either wait or rely on help.

For some clarification, D-throw -> U-tilts at 0% is suboptimal because there are characters that can either interrupt your U-tilts or jump out of them. Instead, what I believe is more likely to be reliable is the following:

D-throw -> Jab -> U-tilt -> D-throw -> U-tilts -> aerials. The Jab is necessary at low percents to prevent gaps in between strings and also because ideally, the light hit will force hard landing lag which effectively extends your hitstun. And also, this should ideally bypass the ~1 second regrab timer.

I believe there's also some characters like maybe the spacies where U-throw -> U-air may be more reliable than D-throw on them at 0. Also against anything that has a legit DP, U-throw at 0 is also likely safer.

But again, I don't have a 3DS and a copy of this game, so I wouldn't know. Otherwise you can wait for me to get this game on the Wii-U (which will be November or December?), and then I'll come back with contributions with whatever comprehensive data I'm able to get.

Last edited:

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
Can you also test whether cape momentum acceleration is still a thing?

I don't have the game nor a 3DS. For FLUDD, your best bet is shooting people when they can't drift, or mid recovery move. I imagine that the characters that FLUDD is effective and ineffective against is largely unchanged. Experiment.

Plus, with less magnetic ledges, that little push could make all the difference.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I'm not sure if you can jab cancel in this game, if Im wrong, someone correct me. The down throw to single jab doesn't work, they just jump right out of it attack me. The dthrow to full jab combo is better off. In fact jabs in this game are a lot better. Mario's jabs should definitely be abused in this game. His ground game in general is pretty good imo.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not sure if you can jab cancel in this game, if Im wrong, someone correct me. The down throw to single jab doesn't work, they just jump right out of it attack me. The full jab combo is better off. In fact jabs in this game are a lot better. Mario's jabs should definitely be abused in this game. His ground game in general is pretty good imo.
Well, I tried. Thanks for checking. At any rate though, a lot of Mario's power is evidently tied to D-throw in this game, so making sure that we know what's guaranteed from it (or at least tactically useful) is going to be important in the beginning.

Regular Jab cancel combos without D-throw probably still should be checked at some point, because at least in that situation, people are less likely to react to it by mashing jump.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Well, I tried. Thanks for checking. At any rate though, a lot of Mario's power is evidently tied to D-throw in this game, so making sure that we know what's guaranteed from it (or at least tactically useful) is going to be important in the beginning.
I totally agree, dthrow is very strong. I also really like Mario's Usmash. it kills much earlier than it did in Brawl. And thanks to the nerfed Air dodge system in this game, it's very good for punishing it.

Last edited:

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
dthrow really on works when coupled with jab honestly, I've experimented with cape.. unsure how viable that combo is... I usually jab out of dthrow or dsmash, u-tilt really doesnt work too well, u-tilting into a dthrow is better.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A few other wacky/cool things to explore when we get good at this game:

*Catching landings with SHFF D-air due to changed airdodge mechanics. FFD-air in Brawl can legit combo into Mario's D-smash consistently, so assuming it works similarly in this game, this might be one of the better ways to consider punishing landings.
*Checking the game for dumb ATs like the sliding Up-smash exploit
*Edgeguarding low recoveries with N-air for gimps
*Finding ways to abuse Cape with ledge mechanics for the purpose of edgeguarding, either via invincibility frames or via the universal anti-edgehog mechanic.

Last edited:

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
You can seeing if getting hit with FLUDD cancels all knockback, although idk how this will applied with snake's departure.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
*Finding ways to abuse Cape with ledge mechanics for the purpose of edgeguarding, either via invincibility frames or via the universal anti-edgehog mechanic.[/quote]

This /\

Seriously his cape is amazing if used right. I cannot wait to play full version and start practicing. I am really hoping I can make mario shine here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No worries. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling you out, was just stating the obvious.

Anywho, gave the Mario boards a major rehaul. Merged/locked a ton of threads. Hoping to get some new ones up now that pre-speculation is over.

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
Mario is going to feel really nice with a controller. He s got a fair that combos and actually meteors, faster, I'm happy. I've already got some FLUDD KOs too. FLUDD + cape will be killer.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Although I haven't played him yet, I've seen and heard how Mario plays. With combo potential and fluid controls, I think Mario's going to be a force to reckon with.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, I just realized something: Why doesn't Mario, Luigi, or even Wario have a ground-pound aka butt stomp move? I know it's something Bowser does in 2D and 3D Mario games, but why not Mario too? I don't remember Yoshi doing butt stomps in early games. Mario Tornado, Luigi Cyclone, and Dr. Tornado are based on the god-power spin jump that debuted Super Mario World, but Mario doesn't tend to do spin jumps in his 3D games and it's not as powerful as it used to be in his recent 2D games.

It'd be a cool dair move or a Down Special, but I'm assuming it's to differentiate Mario from Yoshi's and Bowser's butt stomp despite the fact they many characters have a flying side-kick.

Before anyone says anything about FLUDD, I think it's a good push-back or spacing move. So, I'm not ragging on it or suggesting it be swapped out, I'm just wondering why a ground-pound was never thought of for Mario.
Yoshi does them in his very first platformer, Yoshi's Island. Mario doesn't do them until 64, I think.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone notice the noise his Fireballs make when they hit? Sounds like the noise they normally
make when they kill things in the platformers.

They really made Mario sound more like he came straight out of one his games.

!BSP

Banned via Warnings
I feel like cape has less active reflecting frames, so they match to actual cape swing. It still covers his back, which is good.

BSP

Smash Legend
Also, I don't think hitting people in knockback with FLUDD's water cancels momentum anymore. It's shouldn't be that big of a deal in singles, but now Mario can't save his partner in doubles for free.

We need a video thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom