• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mario Hotel - Super Social 4

D

Deleted member

Horrible compromise/idea.

I'd rather have him not in the game at all if I can't play as the good ol' Doc.

Here's a better compromise: Make him SELECTABLE like an alternate costume (like Wario's overalls), but still keep his differences intact.
Meaning, he is the same Doc that Doc mains loved in Melee, and he doesn't take a "precious" spot on the CSS.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Horrible compromise/idea.

I'd rather have him not in the game at all if I can't play as the good ol' Doc.

Here's a better compromise: Make him SELECTABLE like an alternate costume (like Wario's overalls), but still keep his differences intact.
Meaning, he is the same Doc that Doc mains loved in Melee, and he doesn't take a "precious" spot on the CSS.
That's inconsistent. If you want him to be playable, give him a spot in the roster. Your idea would only confuse people. I mean, costumes that change the character's abilities? No, thanks.

D

Deleted member

>Says idea would only confuse people.
>Concept has been done plenty times before outside of Smash.

I take it you haven't played DBZ Budokai. Otherwise, you would notice that this same exact concept is done with Gohan.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
>Says idea would only confuse people.
>Concept has been done plenty times before outside of Smash.

I take it you haven't played DBZ Budokai. Otherwise, you would notice that this same exact concept is done with Gohan.
I miss EX modes. Fighters used to do them all the time, but now nobody does them. :(

jigglover

Smash Lord
But making Doctor mario's alternate costume have different qualities to Mario, and making him the same as in melee, is just bringing the character back in. Sakurai will probably think of this idea if he wants doc in, but if he wants him in that bad then he'll just give him a slot on the screen. Adding him as an alternate costume like you said is basically just bringing doc back, and Sakurai will probably think of him as a separate character like he does with Sheik or Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Also, I was wondering if it was a good idea to implement the hammer into Mario's moveset? Some people say it may copy Kirby and DDD, but he was the original one to have it and it could open some new moves for him, whether they be special or regular smashes. Also, it could give him some new tilts.

Up B: Starspin (Galaxy)
Side B: Cape (SMW)
Down B: Hammer Pound/ maybe uppercut (maybe in the air, it could be a horizontal swipe)

or Smashes

UpSmash: Headbutt
SideSmash: Firehand
DSmash: Hammer Swing (Horizontal Knock-back)

D

Deleted member

Your idea is terrible.
Your idea is far worse, my friend.
At least my idea lets people play as Dr. Mario the way he was meant to be played, not as some temporary transformation that does random effects to people.

D

Deleted member

Cut him.

This character just isn't relevant in todays video game environment anymore.
He's a bad influence too. He tells kids they can be fat and still be able to jump, run, and save princesses from fire breathing turtles. So he promotes obesity.

Oh, and speaking of turtles, he also steps on them. He promotes animal cruelty.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Not to mention that he punches his brother, rival, girlfriend, side-kick, regular friend etc. in every mario party game. Self-explanatory why that is bad. *Punches computer

RedGamer

Smash Ace
*reading the last couple of posts*

well, Xiivi did say "discuss ALL information pertaining to mario" so I guess this makes sense.

Here's an idea, make him like project M mario.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Mario should be outlawed.
Ring Ring
Me: Hello, Mr. Myamoto?
Myamoto: That's me!
Me: I'm worried that your series, Mario, is bad influence on children.
Myamoto: And why is that?
Me: He punches people in every mario party game.
Myamoto: Uh huh.
Me: He is cruel to all kinds of animals, mainly turtles.
Myamoto: I understand.
Me: And he is fat.
Myamoto: What?
Me: He is fat, he promotes obesity.
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Mario should be outlawed.
Ring Ring
Me: Hello, Mr. Myamoto?
Myamoto: That's me!
Me: I'm worried that your series, Mario, is bad influence on children.
Myamoto: And why is that?
Me: He punches people in every mario party game.
Myamoto: Uh huh.
Me: He is cruel to all kinds of animals, mainly turtles.
Myamoto: I understand.
Me: And he is fat.
Myamoto: What?
Me: He is fat, he promotes obesity.
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

RedGamer

Smash Ace
forgive me. I should've said "wow" or "*speechless*"

It's just that I didn't expect that one, and I literally sat staring at the computer screen unable to think for five minutes.
the only thing I could think to type was ".........."

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Instead of having Doc as a costume, make him a separate character with a slightly different moveset. Mario can have FLUDD, Doc can have the tornado.

Mario can have the mega punch (the fair), Doc can have Mario's fair from SSB64 etc.

jigglover

Smash Lord
forgive me. I should've said "wow" or "*speechless*"

It's just that I didn't expect that one, and I literally sat staring at the computer screen unable to think for five minutes.
the only thing I could think to type was ".........."
All I can manage to type is: LOL!

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I don't type "lol" because I only type what I say and "lol" sounds stupid.

@Ove: that's not a bad idea. I've actually wondered what it would be like to combo with the ssb64 fair in the melee and brawl engines.

D

Deleted member

Sure, add Doc, but get rid of one of the moves that made him so great. :rolleyes: REAL GENIUS.

While we're at it, let's set Falcon's Nair back to his Fair like in 64, and have his old Nair from 64 back too.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I actually now think F.L.U.D.D could be useful if it had more of the properties it had in Sunshine.
For Example:
Being able to propel yourself upward with water
Possibly changing the dash attack while Fludd is out or mabye have some kind of boost move as well like at 8:59
http://youtu.be/BGJgfsJd34Y
It has so much versatility plus i feel like if we also change Luigi's down special it's the answer to his vacuum.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Doc and Mario: I think that would be a nice compromise. Sure, Doc's fair is good, but it hasn't really anything to do with him. The move is based on Mario's punch in Mario RPG, so it would make more sense to give it to Mario. Mario's fair from SSB64 is more generic, and can be applied on Doc easily.

Falcon's SSB64 Nair is good, I hope to see it again. But why would we change his moves? My proposal enables Doc and Mario to be in the game, while still be very different from each other (yes, they differ in Melee, but their moves look the same).

@SmashShadow: I agree. FLUDD has a lot of potential, but I don't think he should dominate Mario's moveset. And Luigi's vacuum must be implemented in some way!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
What I was thinking is that if FLUDD is used in the air it could shoot downward sending him up and gimping those below him. This way Mario wouldn't miss the boost he got from using Mario Tornado and it could be its replacement. Of course the altitude he rises would depend on the amount of charging it had. Also make the water do 1-2% damage. Lastly remove the push back in the opposite direction when he shoots it on the ground because it only serves to shorten the distance the water flies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think it's time to let FLUDD go. Don't get me wrong, I love Mario Sunshine, but I don't think there's any real reason to keep FLUDD around in any way, shape, or form. It wasn't particularily useful, and I don't see any reason to keep it over any of his other specials.

Edit: On the whole "Doc gets Mario's old moves" thing, I think that if you do bring Doc back, be it as an alternate mode or a full character, his normals need to remain the same.

D

Deleted member

The fact that Doc IS Mario, wouldn't it make more sense to leave their normal capabilities similar?

Only the Specials should be different.

Also, I watched clips of Mario punching in Mario RPG, none of them are like his Fair.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Also, I watched clips of Mario punching in Mario RPG, none of them are like his Fair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJgfsJd34Y&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_605814#t=10m11s

That way, we can have both of Mario's fairs in the game, instead of the same move twice.

I think FLUDD should stay. If FLUDD would have been in Melee, I think he would have been much more viable, thanks to the game mechanics. In Brawl, it's too easy to recover, so the water hardly do anything. However, the water can lead to some fun stuff in FFA.

D

Deleted member

That's nothing but coincidence.
All cartoonish characters in Smash stretch and expand their limbs to attack.

Since he didn't actually do a flying knuckle in SMRPG, his Fair is not a reference to the game.
The video also claims that Mario Finale comes from SMRPG, when Mario is just naturally associated with fire and uses powerful fire moves in practically every spin-off he's in.

EDIT: Also, looking at Bowser's Melee video, it tries to correlate Koopa Klaw with SMRPG's Drill Claw, when the two are nowhere near the same thing.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Since he didn't actually do a flying knuckle in SMRPG, his Fair is not a reference to the game.
The video also claims that Mario Finale comes from SMRPG, when Mario is just naturally associated with fire and uses powerful fire moves in practically every spin-off he's in.

EDIT: Also, looking at Bowser's Melee video, it tries to correlate Koopa Klaw with SMRPG's Drill Claw, when the two are nowhere near the same thing.
Agreed, some of his stuff is good, but a lot of times I feel like CCD is just grasping at straws for some of the connections he makes.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Amazing, I am wrong all the time.

I'd be careful with the word "coincidense." Obviously, the expanded fist is inspired by the Mega Glove in Mario RPG. Sakurai has just modified it to be a viable air attack. It's just the same with Mario's fsmash in SSB64 and utilt. Yes, it could be because of the cartoonish nature, but in this case I find the Mega Glove to be conveniently similar. Isn't it too difficult to tell if the expanded glove is based on the Mega Glove or just the cartoonish, ordinary stretching?

Saying he isn't using a flying knuckle in SMRPG, and thus the fair can't be inspired by SMRPG, is ignorant. It's like saying his side B, the cape, is not from Super Mario World because he isn't using it the same way in Smash. The moves in Smash aren't always literally adapted from their origins.

And yes the video maker has some faulty reasonings. I believe that the history behind Ness' moves are flawed as well. But I strongly believe in the Mega Glove theory, and apparently, I am not alone.

I still think that Doc should be an individual character in the next Smash and I still want their movesets to differ from each other.

Also, I really liked the idea with using FLUDDs hover technique. Maybe all four forms could be implemented in the game some way?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I just don't see FLUDD being meaningfully inplemented without having it completely dominate his moveset, which it shouldn't. Plus, I don't see anything that FLUDD brings to the table that his existing special moves don't already offer.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
True, but Mario's moveset could be renewed.

Maybe you can switch form of FLUDD, so that he don't take up several spaces in the moveset?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just don't see FLUDD being meaningfully inplemented without having it completely dominate his moveset, which it shouldn't. Plus, I don't see anything that FLUDD brings to the table that his existing special moves don't already offer.
It offers something completely unique to Mario unlike tornado. What was so dominating of his moveset in the idea I had?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It offers something completely unique to Mario unlike tornado. What was so dominating of his moveset in the idea I had?
It's not your moveset/idea specifically, it's just that if FLUDD remains, I don't see any way that it could be implemented where it neither dominated his moveset or provided something his existing specials(i.e. cape, Tornado, etc.) doesn't already offer. Cape and Tornado already improve his horizontal recovery, so the hover isn't necessary, and cape is already a perfectly good gimping tool, which was really the only thing the spray was good for.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Come'on guys the fludd isnt that bad if you do it after you jab lock it can be really effective.

Top Bottom