• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario is not an Aggro character

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's not about necessarily camping...it's called "defensive zoning"

The point is, you want your opponent to be approaching or baited into doing a punishable option that you can react to. Oh yeah and you want to space pokes at maximum range.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
how i determine rather or not to go aggro is by seeing who my opponent picks. i usually use both just to see if the other player can handle both and the one they cant seem to do good against is what i use the most.

BSP

Smash Legend
It's funny. In the Luigi boards, Boss said don't be aggro either. Aggro doesn't really work well with either of the bros. Luigi does have all the pros listed, but if you blindly attack without worrying about safety, he'll have trouble as well.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The thing about this is if you go one way or the other, you will not win any matches, especially for Mario.

I agree with the overall statement of this thread, but I absolutely deplore the direction this thread is taking which is saying "Aggressive sucks, go defensive" which is completely inaccurate.

Mario's moveset all aims for a defensive style, but that does not mean he is unable to just beat down the opponent when the situation calls for it. Matador's Mario is the epitome of an aggressive Mario and I usually tend to have a full mixture of styles to keep all my options open. Boss' Mario is quite aggressive as well when he has the ability to do this.

I dunno about Luigi, but I can't say I give a **** about him anyway.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
The thing about this is if you go one way or the other, you will not win any matches, especially for Mario.

I agree with the overall statement of this thread, but I absolutely deplore the direction this thread is taking which is saying "Aggressive sucks, go defensive" which is completely inaccurate.

Mario's moveset all aims for a defensive style, but that does not mean he is unable to just beat down the opponent when the situation calls for it. Matador's Mario is the epitome of an aggressive Mario and I usually tend to have a full mixture of styles to keep all my options open. Boss' Mario is quite aggressive as well when he has the ability to do this.

I dunno about Luigi, but I can't say I give a **** about him anyway.
To add on to what you just said, Mario is more "Middle of Lower-middle" of a Defensive-Aggro chart (assuming top is aggro). Also, not only does he have to play both styles in order to maximize his play, but he also has to change it greatly depending on the matchup (Compare vs Marth to vs Pit or something - I don't know too many matchups, but that's the biggest difference I've played semi-consistently).

There's also his whole combo approach to damage, which is really weird whenever I watch replays with my friends. I dunno which direction it means he should go, but I'd watch my friends slowly rack up the percents as the battle goes along, while I'd bring up the damage in bursts.

I mean, I don't know too much about Mario's Playstyles right now, but that's something I've noticed (especially since I went to my first tourney)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Despite this thread...regardless of how true it is, I'm still playing an all aggro playstyle...

Because it's more fun to play Mario that way (for me)....and much more fun to watch (for everybody).

I haven't really hit any roadblocks because of my aggressive style either, mostly because I make dumb decisions. Nothing a few more tourneys won't fix.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol, true Matador, but some match-ups require us to camp aka Chaingrab, Metaknight, and Ice Climbers (?), and Olimar (I missed a few characters, but meh). Other then those characters we can play aggro xD, but I do agree...aggro is fun to play and watch.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Despite this thread...regardless of how true it is, I'm still playing an all aggro playstyle...

Because it's more fun to play Mario that way (for me)....and much more fun to watch (for everybody).

I haven't really hit any roadblocks because of my aggressive style either, mostly because I make dumb decisions. Nothing a few more tourneys won't fix.
Play a different game lol.

SKidd

Smash Master
I play a campy style. Does that count as defensive? I refresh my moves and get openings.
Whenever I get the opportunity for a gimp, though, I immediately go aggro, which includes the taunt :D

SKidd

Smash Master
lol.
A lot more people should main Mario because he's such a universal character, he works with defensive, offensive, and both. Seriously, Meta Knight is for *******, amirite?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol, true Matador, but some match-ups require us to camp aka Chaingrab, Metaknight, and Ice Climbers (?), and Olimar (I missed a few characters, but meh). Other then those characters we can play aggro xD, but I do agree...aggro is fun to play and watch.
True, I switch it up for some match-ups. Generally though, rushdown is what works for me.

Play a different game lol.
lol, I still play melee (when I can :() and SF and whatnot...I play aggro in all of those too, lol.

Sometimes you literally can't... just like vs ICs or D3 like Matt said...but most of the time yea.

PSN = Byowing. Hit me up sometime people!

Famous

Smash Champion
My Mario is aggro...and it works for me...You just can't camp certain characters to begin with

[EDIT]I became even more aggro after that week long stay at Boss's house in Winter 08...Thats around the time when I started winning a few tourneys here and there.

Late 09 people started playing extremely gay and everyone started picking up Snake and MK. This is around the same time me and Boss started playing Luigi alot more

SKidd

Smash Master
boss has a 1337 style.
that's all.

and lil' g, switch to TKD, he canbeat MK :D

Top Bottom