• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

POST UPDATED: April 30, 2014

New videos! - 04/03/14
New video! - 04/04/14
Scheduled Release:
May 29th, 2014
May 30th, 2014
May 30th, 2014
May 31st, 2014

Official Box Art:
Characters (Starting)

As of April 30th, 2014, there are 30 playable characters confirmed.
Characters confirmed thus far:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Toad
Koopa
Daisy
Toadette
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Larry Koopa
Morton Koopa Jr.
Wendy O. Koopa
Iggy Koopa
Roy Koopa
Lemmy Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Shy Guy
Lakitu
Metal Mario
Pink Gold Peach
Mii

Current Finalized Character Roster (04/30/14):

- - - -

Like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 8 will have twelve player races.

Tracks

Mushroom Cup:
Mario Kart Stadium
Water Park
Sweet Sweet Canyon
Thwomp Ruins
Flower Cup:
Mario Circuit
Toad Harbor
Twisted Mansion
Shy Guy Falls

Star Cup:
Sunshine Airport
Dolphin Shoals
Electrodome
Mount Wario

Special Cup:
Cloudtop Cruise
Bone Dry Desert
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

Shell Cup:
Wii Moo Moo Meadows
GBA Mario Circuit
DS Cheep Cheep Beach
N64 Toad's Turnpike
Banana Cup:
GCN Dry Dry Desert
SNES Donut Plains 3
N64 Royal Raceway
3DS DK Jungle

Leaf Cup:
N64 Wario Stadium
GCN Sherbet Land
3DS Music Park
N64 Yoshi Valley

Lightning Cup:
DS Tick-Tock Clock
3DS Piranha Plant Slide
Wii Grumble Volcano
N64 Rainbow Road

Pictures!:

Mario Circuit

Toad Harbor

Sweet Sweet Canyon

Thwomp Ruins

Twisted Mansion

Sunshine Airport

Bone Dry Dunes

Cloudtop Cruise

GCN Dry Dry Desert

3DS Music Park

3DS Piranha Plant Slide

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! If you'd rather see the rest of the known tracks in action, check out the video below:

Items

In MK8, when you receive an item, the character will hold the item in their hand like Double Dash. This is a balancing technique so you can view other peoples' items even if you don't use the GamePad

* In terms of triple shells, you can no longer hold triple shells out and have the ability to obtain another item. Triple shells will remain your active item until they are all fired away.

Known Returning Items:
Banana (And Triples)
Green Shell (And Triples)
Red Shell (And Triples)
Mushroom (And Triples)
Golden Mushroom
Blooper
Bob-omb
Shock
Blue Shell (Mario Kart 7 style)
Bullet Bill
Fire Flower
Coin (Grants 2 coins when acquired)

New Items:
- Piranha Plant
- Boomerang

Not Returning:
- Fake Item Box
- Tanooki Tail
- Mega Mushroom
- POW Block
- Thundercloud
- Boo

There were also two new items that were unannounced:

First up is the Super Horn. Sending out a small shockwave around your kart, the Super Horn destroys all obstacles and items, including the mighty Blue Shell. The horn also spins out other racers around you making them lose coins in the process. Definitely going to be an interesting item and I am curious to see it used in action.

Next, is the Crazy 8. As many of you probably remember from Mario Kart 7, this item works very similar to the Lucky 7 item. The only difference being that now instead of having 7 items rotating around your kart, you now will have 8 items rotating around your kart. These items include: Coin, Bob-omb, Mushroom, Star, Blooper, Green Shell, Red Shell, and a Banana.

Gameplay
Judging from those who have played the demo, the gameplay is similar to Mario Kart 7 in many respects. Drifting is similar to Mario Kart 7 and you will auto-drift if you hold the Control Stick in a direction without holding the drift button, like MK7. However, unlike MK7, you cannot hold a drift in the off-road forever, even with Monster wheels which were notorious for their off-road and speed boost in MK7.

In general MK8 tries to set some middleground between MK7 and MKW in some mechanics.
Features
Anti Gravity

In MK8, a new feature was added, and that is anti-gravity. This feature adds many more opportunities for different and more robust track designs. However, you still drive the same as if you were on regular road, unlike underwater where you have less handling. The main difference is that if you bump into another kart, you will get a small boost. This is especially helpful to lightweight characters who before, had a major disadvantage against heavyweights.

The camera follows you so there's no need to be confused if left-is-right and right-is-left.
Gliding and Underwater Driving

These two features were introduced in MK7 and are returned for this title. They work the same as in MK7 with some differences, though. You cannot glider bounce in MK8 and instead you will gain a boost when you land. The handling for gliding is more restricted than Mario Kart 7.

For underwater, the physics are better than MK7 which was a complaint for many who played that game.
Customization

Also introduced in Mario Kart 7 was customization, the ability to customize your kart with different bodies, tires and gliders. It was confirmed there will be more options than MK7.

Bikes

This feature was introduced in MKW and returns in MK8. Bikes can charge red mini-turbos like karts now. Bikes cannot wheelie manually (require a speed boost of some sort, such as a boost pad or mushroom) and have not been shown to have inward drift.

For wheelies, it's not possible to do them manually in the demo, they only happen when you get a boost of some sort, such as a mushroom or boost pad. It seems to be an animation from the boost and whether or not you can do them manually in the final release is unknown.

Coins
Coins appear from MK7 and act exactly the same. The maximum is ten coins and you lose three upon each hit, two if you have 4 coins, and one if you have 2 coins. You gain speed from collecting them. Unlike MK7, they seem to be more spread out and in different paths. It's unknown how fast they respawn; but based on speculation from videos, they appear to spawn faster than in MK7.

Tricks
Tricks also return, of course. All characters get new animations for two types of tricks: small and big tricks. The boost from tricks are shorter than MKW but slightly longer than MK7. It's unknown if you can manipulate tricks in directions.

Controls

Obviously since the game is for Wii U, the main controller will be the Wii U GamePad.
Much like MK7, the GamePad provides a second screen in which you can see other peoples' items (known as item spy) and their direct placements (improved from MK7 where you had to tap the screen to view names.) When you press the big character icon in the middle, your horn honks. Pressing the GamePad icon will enable gyroscope and pressing the compass icon enables you to see the track map.

However, you cannot view a close-up map version on the bottom screen, unlike MK7, only an overall view. This means there is less of a need to constantly look at the bottom screen and mostly just to see if anyone has a shock/blue (and if the map allows you to see who's in a dodge, that too.)
It's confirmed that the game will allow more than just one control scheme. So far only the Wii Wheel is confirmed but it's expected that the Pro Controller will be supported. It's unknown if Wiimote + Nunchuck or the Classic Controller will be supported.

Point Distribution

The distribution of points is a little different than MKW and is more balanced along the lines like MK7. You can no longer get 0 points and it's more than likely that rooms with less than 12 players will be more balanced. In general, all spots except the top 3 gain one more point in MK8.

Other/General
- The game runs at 60 FPS in 1/2 Player Mode; drops to 30 FPS in 3/4 Player Mode
- Mini-turbos charge a lot faster.
- Item hits are less punishable, you recover much faster.
- Respawns are slightly faster than MK7, and the screen doesn't go black anymore like Super Mario Kart.

* Note that many things you see here are subject to change and can be different in the final product.

*Credit for information goes to 'Mecha' of MKBoards and GameXplain on Youtube.

Last edited:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You mind as well have MKW on this thread as well, the other thread was dead for just about a year.

Anyways, I played every Mario Kart out and enjoyed them all. Yoshi was my main in the past Mario Karts, (Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64). Then came Toadette, she's one of my favroite Mario characters and she was in Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, (<3 paper Toadette), let's not forget King Boo as well and I'm glad he return to the Mario Kart games, (main both Toadette and King Boo in Mario Kart Double Dash). Mario Kart DS didn't have both Toadette and King Boo so I had to look for something else, I took a liking to Luigi in Mario Kart DS, then came Daisy then I main her because.... just because, lol. R.O.B. was cool to, but he was kind of hard to play for me, so I only use him for fun. Mario Kart Wii had Toadette back so I was glad to play her again, King Boo as well. I still use Daisy, but according to the Mario Kart Wii carts she's too fast for a Medium weighted Kart and considered broken, now I only use Daisy for Mario Kart Wii item tourney's or just for fun, though Daisy's not as fun as the little cute Toadette. <3

Mario Kart Arcade both 1 and 2 I main Yoshi and Wario, I did wanted to use Pacman, but I didn't have enough time to use him since it was a tourney Mario Kart Arcade for the both I played.

Over all, I love all the Mario Karts, I really hate to judge which one is better because I love the series and hope it continues.

UberMario

Smash Master
You've played both of the Arcade games?

What are they like compared to the others? There are no arcades with them where I live.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You've played both of the Arcade games?

What are they like compared to the others? There are no arcades with them where I live.
It's not as good as the other Mario Karts. The controls are like an arcade racing games, but with random item's you throw at the other racers and you have the cc settings. There's also a lock on feature when you throw your item, which was really neat. Over all, it doesn't compare to the other Mario Kart's, but is fun when you first play it.

Scott!

Smash Lord
MK64 is so good. It was THE racing game for me even before I had my 64. So good. Toad was my man because he drove the blue kart. Double Dash was fun, but the 2-person thing didn't thrill me. I'm not a fan of not being able to get all the different items. I always had to have a koopa on my kart so I could get triple shells. My second would vary, often with it being Diddy. MK Wii is pretty fun too, though I haven't even unlocked everything in it. Shameful, I know. But Rosalina is just about the greatest thing ever. First off, I love her in SMG. Once I knew she was in Mk Wii, my character was chosen. She's made me appreciate the benefits of the heavies for the first time, too. Also, having a Luma in orbit around my head the whole time is pretty sweet.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
In my mind MK64 was the only good mario kart game.

In my old age Super Mario Kart memories have kinda disappeared (granted I was probably about 4 when I played it). I remember it being nifty but needing something of a facelift, which MK64 did beautifully. After that, like almost every nintendo game today, the MK series became incredibly flashy and gimmicky which I absolutely hated.

MK64 never gets old for me. I can play it day in and day out and never feel as though I've had the same experience before.

Double Dash put me off the series forever. MK Wii I have no intention of buying, primarily because I would feel as though I am in some way supporting double dash.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
In my mind MK64 was the only good mario kart game.

In my old age Super Mario Kart memories have kinda disappeared (granted I was probably about 4 when I played it). I remember it being nifty but needing something of a facelift, which MK64 did beautifully. After that, like almost every nintendo game today, the MK series became incredibly flashy and gimmicky which I absolutely hated.

MK64 never gets old for me. I can play it day in and day out and never feel as though I've had the same experience before.

Double Dash put me off the series forever. MK Wii I have no intention of buying, primarily because I would feel as though I am in some way supporting double dash.
I was SO disappointed with DD. Ugh, I don't know what it is but every time I play it my eyes throw up. But MKW is slightly better, but doesn't touch MK64, and I find myself throwing the controller on the floor from frustration from time to time. And I am not one to do that.

Scott!

Smash Lord
MK64 is the best of the three, no doubt, but MK Wii is quite good. I mean, it has double the tracks, and a lot of excellent retro stages that I never played because I never played MK on the SNES, MK GBA, or MK DS. DD wasn't terrible, but the double racer mechanic really was a silly gimmick. I would probably put MK Wii over MK 64 except that the catch-up AI is just stupidly good, and unfair to skilled players. Not that 64 didn't have it, but it's only gotten sillier since then, and with 12 racers in a race instead of 8, that means there are even more chances for blue shells in the 11th hour.

Also, I use Rosalina on a variety of karts. I don't really like bikes, for whatever reason. I'm not opposed to the idea at all; they're pretty sweet. But I just don't like the feel as much. I generally go standard kart, since it's easy. Also, Rosalina in her standard dress is better than the motorcycle jumpsuit.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I do competitive racing with MK64 (fastest Time Trials). People are still serious about this game (and the others, too)...I suggest looking here to look at the news and updates and here to look at the standards for the Mario Kart 64 competitive world. You can also navigate to different games in the series for their own news, updates, and standards, if you want.

If I remember correctly, Michael Jongerius is the best player at MK 64; if you like MK 64, do yourself a favor and check out his videos, such as his Kalamari Desert 3lap 1:44.23 NTSC/2:05:33 PAL. Skill like that makes champions. For example, look at 1:48-1:50 where he
goes through the train

After I finish accomplishing some "feats" in the puzzle games I am currently playing, I am going straight back to MK64 to start breaking my PRs. I must start moving from overall "Master" to "Eilte!"

Hmm...I wish they kept the original powersliding mechanics in MK Wii. I agree with Scott!, though, that the AI or their items when they fall behind in general is obnoxious sometimes.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
MK64 is the best of the three, no doubt, but MK Wii is quite good. I mean, it has double the tracks, and a lot of excellent retro stages that I never played because I never played MK on the SNES, MK GBA, or MK DS. DD wasn't terrible, but the double racer mechanic really was a silly gimmick. I would probably put MK Wii over MK 64 except that the catch-up AI is just stupidly good, and unfair to skilled players. Not that 64 didn't have it, but it's only gotten sillier since then, and with 12 racers in a race instead of 8, that means there are even more chances for blue shells in the 11th hour.

Also, I use Rosalina on a variety of karts. I don't really like bikes, for whatever reason. I'm not opposed to the idea at all; they're pretty sweet. But I just don't like the feel as much. I generally go standard kart, since it's easy. Also, Rosalina in her standard dress is better than the motorcycle jumpsuit.
@last sentence: Lolwut?

Anyway, I despised every battle mode that wasn't the MK64 one. Come on, you know you loved playing on block fortress trying to push your opponents off into the lower level where all the green turtle shells you fired went.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
@last sentence: Lolwut?

Anyway, I despised every battle mode that wasn't the MK64 one. Come on, you know you loved playing on block fortress trying to push your opponents off into the lower level where all the green turtle shells you fired went.
I loved going DK and just RAMMING toad through the **** wall at the back of block fortress out of the countdown boost.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Am I the only one who liked mission mode on mario kart DS? It gave me something other to do then only racing.

Also, I hate MKW's item system (like just about everyone else). Getting hit by a blue shell then getting zapped and shrunk and then getting hit by a red shell is not that fun. Plus, a lot of the not-so-harmful items like boo (which was one of the 5th-8th place item if I'm not wrong) were replaced with items like POW. Still wifi is a lot of fun and it's atleast better then DD.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think he was, though I've never played. I do miss old battle mode when I play MK Wii. Teams <<< free-for-all any day, though really, it should have both. I do see why they changed it, because it makes much more sense for online that way, but still.

Also, my sister and I used to play chicken whenever we battled on Block Fortress. We'd both pick heavies, and always rammed into each other to start. That makes timing very important. :)

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think he was, though I've never played. I do miss old battle mode when I play MK Wii. Teams <<< free-for-all any day, though really, it should have both. I do see why they changed it, because it makes much more sense for online that way, but still.

Also, my sister and I used to play chicken whenever we battled on Block Fortress. We'd both pick heavies, and always rammed into each other to start. That makes timing very important. :)
I have this game, but can't find the cords or controllers to my N64. You just reminded me I need to purchase more.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
This doesn't just apply to MK but has anyone noticed that characters like waluigi and daisy, that never appear in anything but spin-offs, are really good in spin-off games? There amazing in Strikers and are really good in sluggers too. I know daisy is good in MK but I'm not sure about waluigi.

-:bowser:Bowser King

§leepy God

Smash Master
Well, Daisy has been in at least one Mario game that's not a spinnoff, don't forget Mario Land. :p

Also Waluigi is only a beast on Mario Tennis series, the Strikers series. Daisy however, is very powerful in nearly all the spinnoff's she been in except for the Mario Baseball series and Mario Hoops 3 on 3, but even those two she's still a good character. Maybe everyone loves Daisy more than Peach? I sure do. XD

Wrath`

Smash Master
I never got to play MK64, I can hopefully get the emulation soon.

I did like DD, I thought everything was well done, MKW on the otherhand, it got boring, fast and felt chilidish.

MKDD: Luigi+ Waluigi + Green Fire= Win, actualy won our school tournament with this combination.

MKW: Mii+ Mach Bike. Bike are broken in my opinion.

In MK GP I felt as in the 4th race of a circut the CPU got an unfair speed boost, I had won 1st place by a 3ec margin on the previous, but I get to race 4 and they leave me in the dust.

MK:DS is awsome

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
...MKW: Mii+ Mach Bike. Bike are broken in my opinion....
I thought that Daisy + Mach Bike was the fastest combination? I forget where I found the information, although I remember seeing Daisy's character specific stats with Speed +5.

Anyway, I also find the Mach Bike really...powerful.

Since nobody seemed to notice the awesomeness of Michael Jongerius, I want to put a link to one of his videos of Mario Kart 64 again. His runs are a work of art.

Kalamari Desert 3lap 1:44.23 NTSC/2:05:33 PAL

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
The only Mario Kart Ive truly played and finished is DS and I say I mained Yoshi on only his egg cart (I forgot the name the one that looks like an egg). His drifting was easy. He was fast enough for me, he had good handling, etc. I remember I seconded R.O.B. when I unlocked him. But I swear I even had a BIG winning streak with Yoshi until some Waluigi ******* ended it

mzink*

Smash Ace
Double Dash was my favorite of the ones I've played. It was fun teaming up with a friend in one kart.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
The wii version of Mario Kart is pretty bad IMO

Nintendo should get rid of all that gimmicky stuff and just give us a great racer. The DS version was my favourite, extremely fun and the amount of drifting you could pull off was crazy.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Mario Kart Wii hates me. Whenever something bad can happen it happens. My friend said that one time he was two feet away from the finish line and got hit by a blue shell, a red shell, a green shell, and run over by a giant. In that order.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be best to stay in the back, your less likely to get hit (IMO) and you get all of the best items.
I go to the front and it sends me to the back by raining hell on me. When I'm in the back it olny gives me gay gold shrooms(That move me three places up and then even farther back) instead of Bullet Bills and it growled at me.

U900

Smash Rookie
Mario kart 64 was so good game I had... I just remember all those times playing it... too bad my N64 broke.
I always played with all the characters (well most of them) and I always win vs computer (N64 system) :grin:

toon_marth

Smash Ace
^^First post is about MK64! Awesome!

Double Dash was really boring IMO. There was nothing fun about it in any aspect for me. The doubles mechanic was useless, and gave you another reason to hate your little sister when she made you come in last place. There should be NO teamwork in the MK series, except for in battle mode. Double Dash killed this title forever. MKDS was nice because it did an adequate job of bringing the feel of MK64 to a handheld system, which was needed desperately.

Another OK title that is often overlooked is Mario Kart: Advanced Circuit for GBA. Anybody played and enjoyed this one? I liked it. The GBA graphics made it feel a lot like the SNES MK. That's why I like MKDS and MKAC: they bring the feel of the first two to a portable platform! Amazing!

UberMario

Smash Master
I loved 64 so much, they need to go back to the cartoony style of the originals instead of the "realistic" physics of DS and Wii.

@the wrath: I've noticed how the bikes feel "broken" and they are (Funky and Daisy are too). Unfortunately, the tracks in Wii are WAY too linear for the karts to be a factor. (The only track karts are better at is DK Mountain)

@toon_marth: Yeah, I loved Super Circuit. If they made it in 3-D I might keel over with excitement. Battle mode should have never been about teamwork EVER. Team modes ruined the point of it.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Bikes aren't broken, karts are simply nerfed to the point where bikes seem broken. Bikes would be a useful addition if they were slightly harder to use and karts were better than they are. But the sheer imbalance between the two is just ridiculous. Even though I use Rosalina with her bike, I still wish the bikes had a higher learning curve so they'd seem more worth it to be so amazingly good.

Top Bottom