• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Moveset Discussion. Current: None!

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
The dair in brawl was nearly perfect. Okay rising was semi missed, but besides that, imagine the possibilities for mario if it retained its 'brawl' priority with the melee extended hitbox, and it could still spike!!!!!!!!!! OMG, that would be fierce....

Besides all that, besides being a great oos approach, its great for mindgames/movement. I still don't get why people fall for it all the time, it should be anticipated better at least.

ie;

FH dair to bair against a grounded opponent can sike people out
Fastfalling dair against opponents who try to grab the edge with a recovery move (Pit most especially) without landing the last hit like mario's old skool dair. I did this randomly a couple of times and it threw some people. Especially if i edgehogged right after ^_^
SH dairs to keep foes second guessing your movement....

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I must be missing something, because in my Mario experience D-Air has been one of the more useless moves in his arsenal. From what I've seen, rarely do all the hits land unless they're at very low percentages, it has next to no priority, and it's his second most laggy attack in his arsenal, next to the F-Air. Almost ALWAYS do I get grabbed or smashed out of it because of its long recovery.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I must be missing something, because in my Mario experience D-Air has been one of the more useless moves in his arsenal. From what I've seen, rarely do all the hits land unless they're at very low percentages, it has next to no priority, and it's his second most laggy attack in his arsenal, next to the F-Air. Almost ALWAYS do I get grabbed or smashed out of it because of its long recovery.
Yeah...you're definitely missing something...

Try and use it a little more flexibly. Don't run into someone like MK or Marth with this attack because they'll usually just eat through it. It's one of those moves that don't have a purpose until you've found it. I dunno where you got the laggy and no priority bit from tho. It has quite a bit of priority actually.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Yeah...you're definitely missing something...

Try and use it a little more flexibly. Don't run into someone like MK or Marth with this attack because they'll usually just eat through it. It's one of those moves that don't have a purpose until you've found it. I dunno where you got the laggy and no priority bit from tho. It has quite a bit of priority actually.
Hmm... That's an interesting statement. I may "think" it's laggy because I'm a B-Air addict and compared to that it does have a slightly longer recovery. As for the no priority, if my opponent isn't afraid I've me, I'm constantly hit completely out of the attack. If they throw ANY sort of attack at me their's always outprioritises my D-Air.

EDIT: Could someone tell me what a DJ is really quickly?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Keep in mind Range =/= Priority.

If Mario is in range to hit, it'll go against whatever attack is coming. However if the attack outranges Mario's D-air, then of course you're going to get hit, especially if it's disjointed.

D-air has plenty of priority. Not only that, but it lasts for quite awhile, but like the majority of Mario's moves, you have to be up close. If you're a B-air addict then it probably means you're more into spacing.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Range=Priority in the air. I think his hands may be disjointed during this attack, giving it good priority.

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Holy, I never knew this move had so many advantages...this move is crazy good.

Pros:
+Hard to shield grab the move due to the 'long lasting' hitbox.
+Punishes spot dodges, and roll 'spammers.'
+A good move to seperate the Ice Climbers.
+Good for baiting (You can move back and forth during the move, very slightly.)
+It auto cancels into a d-smash.
+Combo's well into other air attacks.
+If you D-air over items, you pick them up (Diddy's Banana Peel)
+Good priority.
+Zero startup and ending lag.
+Short-hop D-air doesn't autocancel. It finished up in the air.
+Aerial with a ground hitbox.
+Decent Out of Shield option with less risk than Super Jump Punch.
+D-air also goes through projectiles like Mario's Fireballs and Pikachu's Thunder Jolt.
+The last hit goes through Meta Knight's Tornado.
+Down throw to D-air works wonders on people that airdodge after the throw.
+D-air can eat shields alive.

Cons
-Lack of range.
-D-air lacks a general purpose besides an alternative to aerial approaching.
-It doesn't have enough KO potential.
-It's knockback properties doesn't allow gimping.
-It can only be used for combos at low percentages.
-It is 'long lasting' so it is easier to get punished at times.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Actually Mario's down B in Melee was garbage. Mario's down air is like a weaker, faster, punish free version of Wario's dair. It also has good priority. IMO>>(runs.)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Holy, I never knew this move had so many advantages...this move is crazy good.

Pros:
+Hard to shield grab the move due to the 'long lasting' hitbox.
+Punishes spot dodges, and roll 'spammers.'
+A good move to seperate the Ice Climbers.
+Good for baiting (You can move back and forth during the move, very slightly.)
+It auto cancels into a d-smash.
+Combo's well into other air attacks.
+If you D-air over items, you pick them up (Diddy's Banana Peel)
+Good priority.
+Zero startup and ending lag.
+Short-hop D-air doesn't autocancel. It finished up in the air.
+Aerial with a ground hitbox.
+Decent Out of Shield option with less risk than Super Jump Punch.
+D-air also goes through projectiles like Mario's Fireballs and Pikachu's Thunder Jolt.
+The last hit goes through Meta Knight's Tornado.
+Down throw to D-air works wonders on people that airdodge after the throw.
+D-air can eat shields alive.

Cons
-Lack of range.
-D-air lacks a general purpose besides an alternative to aerial approaching.
-It doesn't have enough KO potential.
-It's knockback properties doesn't allow gimping.
Iit can only be used for combos at low percentages.
Matt07 is quite active in these move/stage/character discussion threads. Quite the guy.

On-topic: Dair is probably one of Mario's best moves , topped only by the B-air, IMO.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
When I started with Brawl, I seldom used Mario's dair. But then I discovered something called short-hopped dair. :) Now it's one of Mario's moves I use the most.

Matt07

Smash Master
Alright thanks for the info guys. Updated my post (It's on the bottom of page 9, Skyler Ocon.)

Hippiedude92, yea it's a lot of Pro's we like literally squeezed everything we could about D-air, a lot of pro's for a good move :).

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Cons
-Easily read
-Easily powershielded
-Easily shield grabbed

Pros
+Lovely range
+Lovely knockback
+Complimets every move in Mario's arsenal nicely

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
+ Good range
+ Good knockback
+ Good strength
+ Mario's strongest Aerial (ties with fully connected D-air and beneath the Sweetspotted F-air)
+ Decent spacer

- Somewhat predictable, as many Marios utilize it
- Can be Shield-grabbed out of move

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
+Can be used twice in a SH
+Good range
+Low ending lag
+Good damage
+Good knockback
+Some comboability

-Predictable

Basically there are not actually many disadvantages to the attack, except for the fact that it's pretty obvious that you will use this a lot. It's decent overall.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't forget RAR Bairs. They're also ridiculous for spacing a stutterstepped Fsmash and baiting an opening for Usmash. You can also perform a pseudo WoP with them and use Bairs as a combo starter.

Aside from maybe the cape, which is broken, Bair is definitely his best move.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I find B-air godly against G&W. I spam that **** all day and I win against them.

I think B-air even tops the Cape since we can use it consistently.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, it's fast...faster than alot of G&W's go-to moves. That...and it leads into combos.

I use my cape and my Bairs about the same. Even if I didn't, cape is what allows us to be one of the best at gimping, deal with projectile spam, and good for creating openings through shields or punishing predicted laggy attacks. It's THE reason why Mario's so versatile.

Bair's good...very good, but the cape is broken.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh yeah, which reminds me, drop off platform -> B-air is also very good.

Top Bottom