• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
The 1st set of the Mario Power Rankings was based on the following

1) Tournament Results:Attendence Ratio
2) Experience and Knowledge(of the game and of the character)
3) Development over time
4) Potential

as well as everything else in between

The Panel included
BO X7, Dory, Matador, Hero, and Myself

The Results are as follows
1/9/09

1. Mario is the greatest brawler.....

ok for real now

1/9/09
---
1.Boss
2.Dory
3.BO X7
4.Monk
5.TC1
6.Famous
7.1der
8.Matador
9.Kanzaki
9.Skyler

The following are Honerable Mentions...they did not receive enough votes for the main list they are in no specific order except for alphabetical...

Hero
Jo~p
Jwned
Kirin

----

Matt07

Smash Master
Good to see you decided to pick up where Dory left off.

Hopefully the PR will be up soon.

Also Monk, you missed the greatest thread yesterday.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I'm not sure about the 'development over time' criteria, and I can't see how potential will be judged. The aim of a power rank should be to show who's the current best out there right now, and giving someone a rank based on seeing improvements in their videos and tournament results isn't right, unless the tournament results are better than those of other people listed on the PR.

Also, I think if online was considered in this PR, it should be seperate.

My 2 cents.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about the 'development over time' criteria, and I can't see how potential will be judged. The aim of a power rank should be to show who's the current best out there right now, and giving someone a rank based on seeing improvements in their videos and tournament results isn't right, unless the tournament results are better than those of other people listed on the PR.

Also, I think if online was considered in this PR, it should be seperate.

My 2 cents.
Statistics and Numbers are fine and dandy however the only Mario player that consistently places well is Boss... and then everything after would just be a jumbled mass...

The main focus is tournament placements and attendance...in the discussion we had before that has actually stopped someone from making my list but you need more than numbers you need to see growth and all this stuff...also seeing an improvement in tournament placing is an obvious reason to put someone on a PR list just like and obvious drop is a good reason to move someone down...get your facts right

ThatGuy

Smash Master
So basically if I placed 1st in many tournaments, and then I consistently dropped to 5th place in many tournaments, and the next guy below me rose from 17th to 7th place consistently, he would be moved above me? I don't think that's right; if you're arguing the opposite then I think that's silly logic. The only exception I would make is if the person placing 7th is in a tournament with a higher skill density, which I'll get to later.

It's unfortunate that the Mario boards aren't good enough to pierce high rankings yet, but so what? You're evaluating Mario mains against other Mario mains, not every other player in the world We have a crepeton of tournament results compiled in the thread now, so why not use those for reference? We have Marios that place consistently mediocre, and some that place consistently bad. It actually makes the job of making a PR easier than, say, 5 Marios placing consistently well, as you have to evaluate who should be placed where.

Lastly, tournament attendance is important, but I think overall skill in the tournament matters more. Some people post some nice results, when the tournament attendees were utter garbage. I've won a couple tournaments like that myself but I'm not going to post any results from that; there's no reason to.

Anyways, we'd probably judge a PR the exact same way and we're just expressing ourselves differently, hence the arguments. I'm not part of the panel and so I should have no say in how a PR is determined. Looking forward to seeing it.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
So basically if I placed 1st in many tournaments, and then I consistently dropped to 5th place in many tournaments, and the next guy below me rose from 17th to 7th place consistently, he would be moved above me? I don't think that's right; if you're arguing the opposite then I think that's silly logic. The only exception I would make is if the person placing 7th is in a tournament with a higher skill density, which I'll get to later.
wow you took that the wrong way entirely...something similar was talked about for the FL PR...Afro has been placing first at almost every tournament except as of recent...however he is still considered #1... I'm an *******... not stupid don't get the two confused

Lastly, tournament attendance is important, but I think overall skill in the tournament matters more. Some people post some nice results, when the tournament attendees were utter garbage. I've won a couple tournaments like that myself but I'm not going to post any results from that; there's no reason to.

Anyways, we'd probably judge a PR the exact same way and we're just expressing ourselves differently, hence the arguments. I'm not part of the panel and so I should have no say in how a PR is determined. Looking forward to seeing it.
You do understand I do research on tournament placings right? I called Dory out because one of his tournaments didn't list his name, he went by something else. also people that get considered for the PR usually are playing against good people...like I said I do research

Dory

Smash Journeyman
lol yea :/
i left a story in the mario tourney results thread...
go read! :D lol

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Alright...whenever you guys get on AIM message me...cause I start classes....Monday...and chances are I won't be able to talk to you (I have four classes and a Lab, Mondays I'll be at school from 11AM to 10PM) or worst case scenario we can do this via text message or some crazy **** like that

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Good job on the list. I'm surprised that Jo~P didn't make it, though. I thought he was like, super good or something.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I would just like to state...this list is not set in stone... The first PR list for anything can be a little messy and raise quite a few questions however it is going to change over time

just sayin'

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Good list. I need to get more active here on the boards and get better, so that I could hopefully make the next list.

Tlmab

Smash Cadet
Well if I only had a good connection I would have been in the list. well sucks for me....:(

and who is this Boxy McBoxerson which monk speak of???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom