• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Throws dont work on ICs :(
Also, I too bored/tired of Marth.
Grabbing the ICs is actually stupidly good. You just have to know what you're doing.

Main thing which has G&W and Marth beat Mario is there very good range and disjoints. Marth does better because he is really fast. Pikachu suffers from the same range problem Mario does but has a couple of better options and doesn't have the blind spot Mario has.
G&W also edgeguards significantly better than Marth does.

Mario isn't bad at all vs. ICs btw. All you do is fireball camp and jump around platforms (chances are you will start on BF and I would probably CP them to either Brinstar or Lylat so that I have platforms). ICs will chase you and try and hit you with a Uair through the platform. Dodge, punish, separate, destroy Nana, destroy Popo. Repeat
I never said Mario was bad against the ICs. I said Falco does in fact have very good tools for dealing with the ICs. And especially if you're going against the ICs on stages they prefer (FD obviously, YI and Halberd are also more IC friendly imo), Falco is more adept at this matchup.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
For some reason I like fighting Marth, and I don't have a lot of trouble with him either. I think it's because Marth is a very straightforward, basic character. No gimmicks. I hate fighting GaW because dumb stuff happens and I don't know what to do. I'd probably go Marth vs Gaw anyway.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
As long as marth outranges the majority of Mario's moves and has the speed to apply those to his advantage marth is a harder character for Mario than gw. Also marth (one that actually knows the mu) ***** pikachu easily pika's worst mu
I've heard that Lucario really shuts down Pikachu.

For some reason I like fighting Marth, and I don't have a lot of trouble with him either. I think it's because Marth is a very straightforward, basic character. No gimmicks. I hate fighting GaW because dumb stuff happens and I don't know what to do. I'd probably go Marth vs Gaw anyway.
1. I like fighting Marth as well and it's the MU I have the most experience in. Marth can shut down Mario with ease. As long as the Marth knows what to do, it'll be really easy for him to win. Some of G&W's moves, although long range, long lasting, and low end lag, have a slow start up. I'm mainly talking about his kill moves. You just have to play cautious and patient. It's not too bad.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
If you ask ESAM/K Prime about that, you'll hear otherwise.
No, this is true. Lucario beats Pikachu.

Pikachu is a 300 stat pokemon; while Lucario has a total of 525 stats. That's a 225 stat difference!
PIKACHU - LUCARIO
HITPTS: 35 - 70
ATTAK: 55 - 110
DEFENC: 30 - 70
SP.ATK: 50 - 115
SP.DEF: 40 - 70
SPEED : 90 - 90

Their types don't really have any advantages or disadvantages against each other, and regardless of moveset, Lucario clearly ***** Pikachu in every aspect except speed. You can paralyze him, but he'll still **** you in the end.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
at 0% against fox, is Fthrow>fireball legit? i dont have anyone to play except on wifi for now so im going to ask a lot of questions

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nah, but F-throw -> regrab or reverse F-smash IS legit. Unfortunately F-smash only combos on Fox.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-throw at 0% does not induce tumble on any character. Fresh F-throw can get one guaranteed regrab on a few characters from 0%, or on Fox, a guaranteed reverse F-smash.

Stale F-throw however can chaingrab a few characters to like 25%. Then against against Fox, you finish the chaingrab with a reverse F-smash to deal over 40% to him.

Dash Shield canceled grabs are required for regrabs, so there is a random chance of a trip ruining your chaingrabs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doesn't need to be stale if you're only looking to do one regrab at 0%. And trust me, that extra 9% makes a significant difference when doing D-throw combos. Especially against Fox and Falco.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Fox mains are starting to become more common. Zeton from Kansas is crazy good.

az2 said:
Besides Fox, I'm pretty sure you can chaingrab Falco with F-throw. Famous said that you could chaingrab some heavies with F-throw, but I'm not certain about it yet.
o_O say what? Does this require boost grabbing or any special inputs?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You F-throw, you dash, then you shieldgrab. Dashgrab is too slow. It has to be a dash shieldgrab.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not really sure, generally speaking the reason why it works on Fox and Falco is because they are both fastfallers and they are lightweight. In Smash, the timing to combo lightweights out of throws at low percents is more lenient since you get out of throw animation faster against lightweights.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Air camping as the Jiggs still actually did take an offensive at times.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Would have been stalling if he flew as high as he could and did nothing but rising pounds all game. He might have, the entire match was too horrible to watch.

lilchrome850

Smash Rookie
you can just run up and jump. right in front of them. theyll sheild or sidestep mostly. you can DI backwards just in case too. or jump forward using back air.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
We marios need to talk about the "Wavebounce" fireballz tech. Anyone here knows to do it?

BSP

Smash Legend
Is that when you input fire ball, but mash the control stick in the other direction so you change directions?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Nah, its pretty easy to pull off. It's great for escaping juggles. You don't need to mash the control stick either, you can just tilt it SLIGHTLY in the opposite direction, then fireball and you should wavebounce it. If you tilt it too much though, you'll cape instead. It's pretty well known already. The only tricky part about it is to not tilt it too much during battle, which I still can't do very consistently.

I think the only thing we're missing is Cape Teleport and/or f-tilt slide.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oops... I thought that was called a B reverse, and that the wavebounce was what Lucas does during his PKfire which we can do to a certain extent (Run in a direction, then move backwards when you shoot a fireball in said direction.
The latter is trickier, but they both work on the same basic mechanic.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that they're the same things. As for the other fireball thing, you mean like RARing, and then throwing a fireball?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, one of them reverses your direction and the direction you face/throw a fireball in, whereas the other makes you reverse your momentum while still facing/shooting the same direction (What lucas players do). Hard to explain, but yeah, I've heard both terms used for both of them so IDK.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Oh, I get what you mean now. Basically, you mean its like your definition of b-reversal but you're still facing the same direction, but you're still bouncing backwards. I've seen Snakes and Pikachus do it with their DownB moves. I don't know if thats even possible for Mario, I never ever seen it happen. I always thought both those terms meant the same thing. ((and still kinda do.))

EDIT: Caleb! You have 999 post count! Be sure to make your next post in the Mario boards :D

Top Bottom