• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Griselda

Smash Lord
So glad you asked you asked. I was waiting for something to do that. One of the things we can do right now as a community is to take a page out of the Shantae Community and start advocating figures like Nendroid. That one way to push demand and relevance for the puppet boi.
Not too terribly long ago, there was a Geno Nendoroid push, actually. I even voted for him as soon as it was brought to my attention.

Apparently, Shantae beat him.

Edit: After a little thought I think I came off as a bit too bitter or negative, there, so I apologize.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
recently i have uploaded SMRPG remixes that has been taken down by nintendo which was originally posted by a japanese person so hear take a look
his videos in his entire youtube channel are all gone except one video and here is the original link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKrEU0EtUQ&t=0s
these remixes were also in supermariolegacy.com but that website was wiped out

one more thing i have also uploaded Geno vs Giga Bowser that was originally posted on twitter the person who made it has done many of these mini smash animation in the past but they are no longer available so take a look its really cool
keep in mind these videos i have saved years ago
So glad you asked you asked. I was waiting for something to do that. One of the things we can do right now as a community is to take a page out of the Shantae Community and start advocating figures like Nendroid. That one way to push demand and relevance for the puppet boi.
oh nice they are showing the winners i am really hoping for Geno to be one of the winners i told many people to vote for him and spread it

Dan

Smash Lord
Personally? At this point, I don't believe there will be another Smash, and I'm kinda glad. If I was never going to be given anything I ever asked for, then there was no point in waiting and hoping for another however many cycles. Ultimate is the perfect Smash for modding, given the large roster and costumes and all. Whenever I figure out Switch modding, I'll have more than enough resources to make the game I wanted, even if it's just aesthetic swaps so everyone has weird movesets and only looks like themselves. (because, lets be honest - especially the further back you go, Smash has always been hit and miss on how canon accurate the movesets have been).

But, also honestly? I think you guys should all keep campaigning to get Geno, Shadow, whoever into a hypothetical next Smash anyways, because the last thing we need is the stupid situation where the next game rolls around and all the businessmen go "Oh, well, support for these characters was pretty high 2019-2021, but then they got quiet so we guess they don't want them anymore".
There is definitely going to be another Smash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking on community goals I have said before, this is one that we can certainly achieve.
It’s kinda strange I thought SSF2 is nearly finished due to the other game they are busy making fraymakers i haven’t seen or heard anything new regarding SSF2 content since a year ago.
But yup hoping to get Geno in ssf2 also 6 or 8 players in a battle

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Well kids and people, we have now come to the last day of 2021.

May the upcoming year help bring us closer to seeing a grand return to traditional RPG Mario games, whether it be revisiting Seven Stars, or getting an update on the future of Mario and Luigi, or the possibility of Paper Mario fully returning to it's roots, or something else that's completely new.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I guess Geno is coming back but as NFT...

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I planned on doodling some Smash alt colors for Geppetto and/or Mallow (probably Mallow since Geppetto's Mii Costume won't be able to have any extra colors anyway) but my hands are wrecked from working 30+ hours straight and I've got wrist braces, so I guess I shouldn't push it.

But I can still type, so I guess it might be worth discussing, anyway? So what do you guys think? For Mallow, anyway, these were my thoughts:

Default pale yellow Mallow,
A white alt, because clouds,
A fully gold/deeper yellow one to represent the part in SMRPG with the golden statue disguise,
A gray/black stormcloud alt with yellow eyes, which also doubles as the 'dark' alt many Smash characters get,
And a green one based on Mokura, possibly with the face altered to match. That's this guy from Land's End, in case you didn't know:

I'm not sure about the remaining slots, though.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I planned on doodling some Smash alt colors for Geppetto and/or Mallow (probably Mallow since Geppetto's Mii Costume won't be able to have any extra colors anyway) but my hands are wrecked from working 30+ hours straight and I've got wrist braces, so I guess I shouldn't push it.

But I can still type, so I guess it might be worth discussing, anyway? So what do you guys think? For Mallow, anyway, these were my thoughts:

Default pale yellow Mallow,
A white alt, because clouds,
A fully gold/deeper yellow one to represent the part in SMRPG with the golden statue disguise,
A gray/black stormcloud alt with yellow eyes, which also doubles as the 'dark' alt many Smash characters get,
And a green one based on Mokura, possibly with the face altered to match. That's this guy from Land's End, in case you didn't know:

I'm not sure about the remaining slots, though.
easy there are many pants Mallow does wear and they all fit the whole 8 slots

there is also his ending credit clothes wearing a silver crown and pink cape

Griselda

Smash Lord
How would Dimentio function in a Mario Kart game? Would he retain the Paper Mario art style or be fully modeled?

I miss when the Paper Mario games (and the spin-offs in general) were thought of as just being more of Mario's adventures that just happened to be presented in a different art style than usual - So there'd be the understanding that they all more or less took place in the same setting, and you'd have the Star Spirits appearing in non-flat form in Mario Party, and Beanish NPCs showing up in Paper Mario and so on.

easy there are many pants Mallow does wear and they all fit the whole 8 slots

there is also his ending credit clothes wearing a silver crown and pink cape
I always forget about the complicated clothes designs from SMRPG, since they aren't really represented in-game and I never owned the manual or any guides or anything. But these are definitely something to keep in mind for the potential mod - several of them seem like they'd line up well with the body color variations I already mentioned, too.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
How would Dimentio function in a Mario Kart game? Would he retain the Paper Mario art style or be fully modeled?
In a video about a hypohtetical MK9 I saw, the uploader included Dimentio in his roster, and said a 3D model would work fine, and his tricks could be based on switching between 2D and 3D. Might be somewhat tricky, but I'd totes be down for something like that.

Griselda

Smash Lord
In a video about a hypohtetical MK9 I saw, the uploader included Dimentio in his roster, and said a 3D model would work fine, and his tricks could be based on switching between 2D and 3D. Might be somewhat tricky, but I'd totes be down for something like that.
I wouldn't mind seeing Paper Mario characters in 3D, in general, but that's unfortunately not something I think can happen. If it was still the 2000s, maybe.. Not that people should stop campaigning for that sort of thing, either. Vivian making a return in 3D would be adorable. And also put a rest to people thinking her hair swirl is a giant nose.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Regardless, considering Crash Team Racing WAS able to have a diverse roster, with all sorts of different characters from his franchise, the fact that Mario Kart can hardly get ANY playable representation from ANY of the Mario subseries is splitting my brain in half.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Yeah. Regardless, considering Crash Team Racing WAS able to have a diverse roster, with all sorts of different characters from his franchise, the fact that Mario Kart can hardly get ANY playable representation from ANY of the Mario subseries is splitting my brain in half.
A combination of the ongoing Mario series mandates and a general out-of-touch mindset that Nintendo is known for. I dunno if it was ever proven to be legitimate or not, but I recall a while back after Geno got costumed there was a leak that stated something along the lines of "Geno was never even considered because Nintendo and Square are confused by SMRPG support, and aren't sure if anyone is serious about it". Considering how long we've been at the whole 'bring Geno and his friends back' game, which would be like, well over a decade at least, that's quite a long time to be unsure about whether support is legitimate. I'd expect that also extends to the various Mario RPG games in general, too.

See, Nintendo is a company that likes the idea of having a storied history full of fan-favorite games (the 8-bit Mario and Link sprites are iconic, and they're totally fine with milking the image), but they're absolutely terrified of actually acknowledging their past titles, especially in the modern era. They think that doing so will prevent them from innovating and moving in new directions, in the future.

..Which is why I was kinda surprised that Paper Mario came to Switch Online at all, especially considering SMRPG is still being skipped over. I thought, initially, that perhaps Paper Mario showing up meant that they were possibly testing the waters on the current-day playerbase's reception to the older RPG game style, but at this point, I dunno.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That would be because unlike Beenox, Nintendo is a horribly conservative Japanese company.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I played a great Paper Mario successor in 2020 with Bug Fables, and a solid DKC spiritual sequel with Kaze & the Wild Masks in 2021. Getting the hat trick with a real follow-up to Mario RPG in 2022 via Another Crusade would be fantastic.

Oddball

Smash Lord
"Geno was never even considered because Nintendo and Square are confused by SMRPG support, and aren't sure if anyone is serious about it".
I can't say I blame them. Often "support" for Geno feels like bangwagon jumping and people making bad jokes. I don
t think half the people that say they want Geno even want Geno.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I can't say I blame them. Often "support" for Geno feels like bangwagon jumping and people making bad jokes. I don
t think half the people that say they want Geno even want Geno.
Eh. Geno support has been going on for far too long for it to be nothing but hot air, regardless of how many of his supposed supporters are genuine. But you have people like that with every group, honestly - people who've written in and filled out request columns and polls and stuff right beside people who are only in it for the memes, and people who have never played the game in question, are never planning on playing it, and just think the character looks cool/would have interesting mechanics when converted to a fighting game/etc.

I don't really see the point in questioning whether or not someone is a 'true' fan of something, though. Whether they're lying about wanting a character or not, the person next to them probably isn't. Besides, you put a character out there, and they're gonna get bought by the flocks of people that just buy whatever Nintendo releases, regardless.

My point being that it doesn't matter either way.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
IMO I consider Geno being pretty much pushed to the side in Ultimate to be a bad sign in general. The movement was too big to be ignored and for them to do that shows that corporations aren't really listening to their fans.

Cloud, Sephiroth and even Sora arguably were clearly just marketing decisions though I give Sora a free pass because he had a big movement too, but not as big or as long-lasting one as the Geno cult.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think due to the whole 7 square characters that were on the table which we got from it :ulthero::ulthero3::ultsephiroth::ultsora:
The only ones left on that list are Geno, Crono and Slime, if Sakurai and Square stays in the next smash game Geno and Crono would be the most likely become the next square reps however things could change in the future possibly regarding the list as it doesn’t have Taito and Edios content which are part of Square-Enix.
Strangely there are no Chrono trigger content in Smash ultimate despite Sakurai showing off a custom stage he made based on that game in Twitter and we even got octopath traveler and secret of mana content before it.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I think due to the whole 7 square characters that were on the table which we got from it :ulthero::ulthero3::ultsephiroth::ultsora:
The only ones left on that list are Geno, Crono and Slime, if Sakurai and Square stays in the next smash game Geno and Crono would be the most likely become the next square reps however things could change in the future possibly regarding the list as it doesn’t have Taito and Edios content which are part of Square-Enix.
Strangely there are no Chrono trigger content in Smash ultimate despite Sakurai showing off a custom stage he made based on that game in Twitter and we even got octopath traveler and secret of mana content before it.
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird we didn't get any CT spirits? Not even Magus or Schala?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird we didn't get any CT spirits? Not even Magus or Schala?
I wouldn’t be surprised if getting Chrono Trigger content turned out to be expensive compared to many other Square-Enix franchises so my guess is Sakurai didn’t want to go through this even if he likes Chrono Trigger and wanted just some spirits included to represent the game in some way it may not be worth paying too much just to have a png.
And I also do remember when the SNES Mini got released they did not include Chrono Trigger on it and I guess that proves it’s not easy getting Chrono Trigger stuff.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Dunno if I've brought it up before, but.. y'know what would've been cool (in the one out of infinite timelines where we actually won)? If when Mario and Geno are present in the same fight, or Mario is on Geno's stage, the purple Odyssey coins that occasionally pop out in his Up-B are replaced with the green Frog Coins from SMRPG.

I think I might commission a mod for that, too, actually.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Dunno if I've brought it up before, but.. y'know what would've been cool (in the one out of infinite timelines where we actually won)? If when Mario and Geno are present in the same fight, or Mario is on Geno's stage, the purple Odyssey coins that occasionally pop out in his Up-B are replaced with the green Frog Coins from SMRPG.

I think I might commission a mod for that, too, actually.
Project M Geno has a taunt that spawns a coin from under his hat. There is like a 20% chance that it will be a Frog Coin instead. Which I thought was pretty cool.

Top Bottom