• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Tennis N64

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hey lets talk about one of the best sport games ever made mario tennis for the N64.

who are peoples favorite characters?

what would a tier list look like for this game in peoples opinions and why would u put people were u did on the list

Also a doubles tier list b/c some characters are only good in doubles

and anything else people want to say about this or if u really want the other 2 mario tennis games

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Top Tier
Bowser
Wario
DK
DK Jr.

High Tier
Boo
Paratroopa
Luigi
Mario

Mid Tier
Birdo
Yoshi
Baby Mario

Low Tier
Waluigi
Shy Guy
Daisy
Peach
Toad

If you're very skilled, the most desired trait is power and the least is technique. Tech's are designed to have better accuracy. But if you are used to angling the ball, the buffered accuracy is not very needed. Serves can be easy points, and there are times when you can fake out the other player if you land a 'NICE' (which, if you know which spot to release, would be very common).

Speed characters are great on defense, but rarely lead to an attacking position.

All-arounds do have a small bit of each characteristic, but not enough of each to distance from everyone else.

Tricky can be a pain if you're on the defense against one. The swerving ball movement from trickys are the hardest to control, opposite of techniques. It is also the most likely to hit out of bounds if handled incorrectly.

Which leaves powers. Aces are easy points, and there are times when you can fake out the other player if you land a 'NICE' (which, if you know which spot to release, would be very common). Additionally, it is the hardest to recover when a power is on the attack, and have to rely so much on backcourt handling.
10tennisplayers

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ i disagree with that b/c as much as having power is nice its pointless if u r to slow to get to the ball. i dont have a list of my own yet but i am playing the game again and will work on it as i play. i will say this atm in my top tier is boo, and in low tier peach and daisy are there.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Power characters **** because they hit the ball fast to the point it's hard to keep track of it unless your a Speed character, though Speed characters are weak when it come's to countering the ball. Tricky characters really have it good in this game unlike in Power Tennis, Technique and Speed characters replace Tricky characters in placement of epicness in Power Tennis.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I saw this thread, and I had to post.

Top:

Yoshi
Mario
Baby Mario
Luigi

High:

Wario
Birdo

Mid:

Shyguy
Peach
Daisy
Boo
Paratroopa
DK Junior

Low:

DK
Bowser
Toad

Bottom:

Waluigi

Every character has a "fox trot" of sorts that works in a similar way in the smash series. It polarizes the cast in terms of accelerating speed, and plays a crucial role in net play.

Speed is the top tier trait in the game. If you can get to the ball faster than your opponent, then the shot will never be as important. I find technique to be the most useless of the traits being that most tech players other traits are horrible which forces them to constantly play defensive catch-up for the entire volley. Their wheelhouse is serving.

Power players are way too slow and incredibly easy to hit with the ball, they're awful at the net being huge targets and horrid foxtrots for mobility, and they smell. Think about it. Wario is the best out of all of them, since he's short, fat, and surprisingly quick. Short players are better at getting smash hits (Baby Mario at the net. . . . . jesus)and with the power to back it up he's crazy good at the net, which is where majority of the points are scored.

All-Around speaks for itself. Mario has a better foxtrot than Luigi, but Luigi's got a better reach @ the net. Both are amazing at smash shots, making them super net players. Contrarily to the previous post, their other traits easily close gap between the other players and then some.

Tricky is good if actually use their tricks. I might be switching this up because I haven't played it in awhile, so I'll edit if I'm wrong, BUT you can position them around the ball and use the right spin to get the maximum sharpest curve. I think it's

Back-hand > slice > sharp left
B.H > topspin > sharp right
F.H > slice > sharp right
F.H > topspin > sharp left

If I'm wrong on those then the directions are just flip-flopped with the hit.

And lastly, Waluigi

I don't say this in spite of the deeply underdeveloped villainous placeholder that is the skinny, wicked, clone, and although this is his debut appearance he is the ABSOLUTE worst character in the game. I personally love everything about the character. His volley taunt with the glowing eyes is insanely cool, and I don't know why he never did it in another game, his voice is cool and gradually got cooler in the games to come, and his design is really likable as far as character design goes. Now for the grit. . .

-He may be skinny but his render is as big as Bowser's
-Worst foxtrot in the game
-Terrible @ the net (he was designed to be a net player)
-I've never seen a character get hit by the ball more than that character
-His reach is really awkward, since his arms cover the areas of really far away or inside his torso, so there's a huge gap near his shoulders and face that are usually the target for a point.
-His running animation is so long because of his leg length so he's really effing slow, and you'd think he'd cover more distance because of it, but it's really sad how bad this character is compared to how he was intended to be.
-He's a technique player

Yoshi is basically the opposite of Waluigi.

Have you ever seen Waluigi ride a Yoshi?

Didn't think so. . . .

R0B0T

Smash Rookie
I remember playing this game a lot with my cousins. Good times. Typically, I played as Mario, Luigi, Wario, or Waluigi. One of my favorite modes is the Bowser course where you get to shoot items at people while playing tennis. It's pure chaos.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The game where Waluigi made his debut. Honestly, I don't see this happening, but it's about time they gave the poor guy a better role than a filler character for a Mario side game. Didn't this game also reintroduce Daisy since her Mario Land appearance?

Vudujin

Smash Lord
If he gets a attention outside of sports games, it'll be from some playable cameo in a new Wario game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If he gets a attention outside of sports games, it'll be from some playable cameo in a new Wario game.
Honestly, I'd gladly take that.
I love this game and now i m playing this game on emulator b/c my N64 controller is busted.
Was it because of Mario Party 1? Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Tug 'O War
Puddle Paddle
Shy Guy Challenge
Cast Aways

Each layer of callused skin on my palms tells a story of horrific pain.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Honestly I thought this thread said Mario Tennis Open, lol. Weird I didn't remember posting here two years ago. O_o

zyth

Smash Lord
yo u didnt put Alex in that list...hes is the definition for top tier. he can smash almost any shot sent towards him, and his speed is the best.....:troll:

Vudujin

Smash Lord
The GB roster is broken. Same thing for Mario Golf. Kid's exp got him nothing lower than an albatross on any hole. . . ANY HOLE!!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bmario is great in doubles because his height allows him to smash return alot of balls if he's rallying corner to corner, and it allows him to intercept balls at the net with a smash. He's also got surprising power.

Top spins and serves are really the only good things trickies can do in dubs.

Bowser is probably the best power in dubs as he has the best serve and his lack of speed doesn't hurt him as much.

Powers are only good in singles when they're serving. They can net aces, or at least hit good enough serves to force poor returns and then finish them off. They're bad at returning serves unless they commit to one side early.

I agree with Waluigi being one of the worst chars in the game. One thing I didn't see mentioned was his terrible serve.

What do people think of Birdo and Paratroopa? I always saw Para as just an inferior Boo, but Birdo seems to have good power for a speed character.

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Anyone here played Mario tennis on 3ds? it looks good but I'm not sure it's worth getting though...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I haven't heard overly amazing things about it, but I'll still probably pick it up.

Mario Tennis gave us the greatest thing ever, Waluigi a good tennis game with the Bowser Stage. I really liked the Bowser stage...I think I just like crazy situations.

zyth

Smash Lord
I just thought about it, but i think the reason hte waluigi assist trophy does an attack with his tennis racket was to give credit to where he first showed up.

BSP

Smash Legend
On the bowser stage, I would always try to get mushroom and star combos to turn my character yellow lol

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I just thought about it, but i think the reason hte waluigi assist trophy does an attack with his tennis racket was to give credit to where he first showed up.
Wow, I just now realized that Mario Tennis was Waluigi's debut I didn't know that. Also that makes sense that he would have a tennis racket.

UberMario

Smash Master
The one thing that disappoints me about Mario Tennis Open is that Miis have replaced the normal humans that Camelot used to have. I wish that they would stop trying to force Miis into the Mario World, because they look jarringly out of place.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The one thing that disappoints me about Mario Tennis Open is that Miis have replaced the normal humans that Camelot used to have. I wish that they would stop trying to force Miis into the Mario World, because they look jarringly out of place.
Miis in general just don't have good aesthetics that suit any gameplay really. They look out of place anywhere except mii games.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I was thinking of making a Mario Tennis Open thread, but I don't know if it is a good idea since I don't know many people with the game. Should I make it?

BSP

Smash Legend
It can't hurt IMO, but I didn't even know there was a Mario tennis open

Edit: Oh, it's a 3DS game, that's why

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I also wish they stop using Mii's because they are getting very repetitive to see in Mario games now...

-J-

Smash Rookie
Mario Tennis Open isn't "all that", per say (I ended up trading it in since I can't do with 'bitesize' packages, as some reviewer called it, without bountiful amounts of friends to play with, of which I have a resounding none since no one I know ever bothered to buy the game <_<), but it's a fine-enough game of simple tennis, if that's what you want. I hate those markers that appear that basically tell you the shot that you need to put you in the best situation, though. That takes away ooku no senryaku, and, honestly, I'm not down with that part of it all. So glad you can turn off that wretched "auto-walking" feature, though. Also, did anyone else find it weird that they disallowed doubles from public Wi-Fi? Like, what the hell? lol

As for Mario Tennis 64, oh boy, I loved that title. Waluigi actually WAS my favorite character, and as far as spin-offs go, he still is. Don't hate. ;D I hated playing against AI Donkey Kong as a kid. He was one ******* that hogged the whole field with his lanky arms, but that challenge provided half the fun, really. I also loved Donkey Kong Jr.'s inclusion in there. That was nice.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
SO GUYS, if you have Mario Tennis Open and are looking to find people to play with/against, then I just made a thread about it some come check it out here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324140

Post your FC and all that and cuz aside from just having our own place dedicated to the game, we'll run tournaments and stuff as well.

Niko45

Smash Master
Damn how have I never seen this thread?

Anyways I'm a DK player and I'm godlike however I think paratroopa is god tier broken in this game.

xxbroken-gloryxx

Smash Rookie
Here's my tier list.

Top Tier
Wario
Baby Mario
Mario
Boo

High Tier
Yoshi
Bowser
DK
Luigi

Mid Tier
Birdo
Paratroopa
DK Junior
Toad

Bottom Tier
Shy Guy
Peach/Daisy
Waluigi

I have Wario at the top mainly because he is the fastest Power class character and is a decent server. He is kind of short so he is good at the net too. Baby Mario is a close second because he is very fast, and very short, so can smash at the net very well.

Everyone else else is kind of preference except the bottom tier. Peach/Daisy are equal in almost every way so I have them in the same spot but dear GOD WALUIGI IS TERRIBLE!!! He gets hit by the ball a lot more than most characters (he has the same hitbox as bowser) even though he is skinny and is tall so its a little harder for him to get a good smash in. His only positive i that he is a GREAT server.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
The game where Waluigi made his debut. Honestly, I don't see this happening, but it's about time they gave the poor guy a better role than a filler character for a Mario side game. Didn't this game also reintroduce Daisy since her Mario Land appearance?
Well, Waluigi was one of the main story characters (villain) of Mario Party 3, so that counts for something.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I remember playing this so much as a kid and playing DK every time, then I grow up and get it again and it's still amazing as DK. This one just had something about it that the cube version just didn't. Seems like it's that way with a lot of n64 vs cube scenarios, or that's just me.

Top Bottom