• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Video Archive

a rookie

Smash Ace
Thanks for all these videos, haven't seen a lot of these actually =D You're the best d2Law89<3
But yeah, you should add Green Mario =(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Generally speaking, the thing that I noticed most is that you go for F-smashes too much when they won't combo, and you don't implement enough combos into grabs. Both you and especially your opponent still have technical skill problems to work on.

Not too bad, like me you and your opponent just need more practice. =)

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Generally speaking, the thing that I noticed most is that you go for F-smashes too much when they won't combo, and you don't implement enough combos into grabs. Both you and especially your opponent still have technical skill problems to work on.

Not too bad, like me you and your opponent just need more practice. =)
Thanks. I got the fsmashing style from when I see Green Mario in doubles and Boss in singles. I guess I'm still kinda doing it wrong :p

a rookie

Smash Ace
Just remember, fsmashing is golden when you can do it consistently without missing. It's like Mario's trump card, trust me on that ;D

j3ly

Smash Champion
wd back fsmash beats fox sh nair and fh nair, but i wouldent call it safe anymore (not trying to deface your point rookie, totally different one).

i find that i get tons of kills stageguarding with fsmash. Be it forcing a char to recovering onstage and wd'ing on or timing it for when people make mistakes WDing onto platform and do the attack/getup/roll.

mario controls alot of space if the opp is hanging off the edge and he is not within their range. that getup attack is only invincible for a little bit - tons of time to wd in and dsmash/fsmash.

similarly but its risky, renew your inv.frames hanging off the ledge, wd on and dsmash

i didnt actually watch the vids i just posted my thoughts on fsmash, i will check vids out later on my break :o

j3ly

Smash Champion
i would have done it instead of commenting ur youtube vid, but i want to smoke up and then do it properly. first up though i notice u cant, like almost all marios, l-cancel dair. its awesome awesome against CC'ers, you can apply shield pressure with it and spike the bottom if their shield starts at less than 100% before the attack. under a platform (they are in shield) bair, jump WL onto platform, isai-drop dair. jab afterwards so they cant grab, but their shield will be longgg gone by that point.

anyway yeah, ill edit this with my actual critique later when im blazed. ill make it nice and long :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
i had a look, wrote some shiz down i think i have a few tips that could help your play

i think your 2 biggest weaknesses are l-canceling and edgeguarding. also you seem to panic and mess up when a falcon is DDing infront of you. His response to your DDing was DDing himself, and everytime that happend you ended up getting kneed.
This shouldent be the case - falcons often start DDing themselves when faced with a DDing opponent. he should approach with either nair/knee, or try to bait you into making a mistake, which is essentially whats happening when you begin to DD. I use this to bait falcons into attacking - WD back fsmash or utilt beats both approaches, or short wd forward to shield-grab if you are fast enough.

onto l-canceling, and approaching. You approach with nair alot, which is fine - nair begins combos, finishes combos, and goes into dsmash at many %'s if you want a quick combo, which i see you use well. but you fail the l-cancel a fair bit, same goes for with dair, watch up to 1.10

your auto-cancelling of bair and uair is good, i would recommend zone-ing a bit more when u have him cornered, but thats a little hard with mario. i would definatly bair more - create walls and shield pressure if your in a tight spot or watever - you can still jump into your 2nd jump after a SH bair.

by far the biggest problem we have here is edgeguarding, and getting gimps is a big big big part of (my) marios game. without it i would never have gotten out of pools anywere. failed edgeguards at 0.40, 0.47, 1.20 and 1.28. They were all fatal edgeguards aswell, 3 bairs and a wd onto stage charged fsmash i believe.

One technique i actually didnt think of until watching a shroomed vid, when hanging off the edge press back to fall off and A to do a bair. you can have a bair hitbox out within around 7 frames of grabbing the edge, or renewing your frames or whatever. its alot faster and better than drop -> jump -> bair, but they are both suitable for their own situations

dont cape falcon unless he came from below the stage, and was far away. even if caped, if he came from slightly above stage or close to the stage he will make it on 9 times out of 10. cape is neverrr a substitute for bair!!

i can take this 1 step deeper, but im already scared i sound really patronising and know-it-all that i dont feel to carry on. so 1 more thing that helps bair edgeguarding - weak bair. If you hit the opponent, off the stage, with a weak bair - any char, almost any %, you are guarenteed a rising bair afterwards. its like jiggs using her weak fair -> strong fair, or falcons soft knee -> rising uair, etc.

Oh yeah, and grab more. Grab near the edge, throw falcons *** off. mix it up - throw a high bair, if he jumps into it its over. The next time he may try to recover low, so WD off the stage and bair. Those 2 cover most of the possible outcomes from bthrowing a falcon off the edge - the only problem is that you cannot cover both high and low at the same time, so make a guess everytime and go for it. Bthrowing an opp offstage gives mario a nice chance to take a guess and wipe a stock clean off. at high levels of play it will cease to be a 50/50 anymore, but you can space bair so you dont get hit by a rising knee, theres alot of stuff that can be done but typically - jump and bair, or WD off and bair - take a guess every time u throw a char off the edge.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
i had a look, wrote some shiz down i think i have a few tips that could help your play

i think your 2 biggest weaknesses are l-canceling and edgeguarding. also you seem to panic and mess up when a falcon is DDing infront of you. His response to your DDing was DDing himself, and everytime that happend you ended up getting kneed.
This shouldent be the case - falcons often start DDing themselves when faced with a DDing opponent. he should approach with either nair/knee, or try to bait you into making a mistake, which is essentially whats happening when you begin to DD. I use this to bait falcons into attacking - WD back fsmash or utilt beats both approaches, or short wd forward to shield-grab if you are fast enough.

onto l-canceling, and approaching. You approach with nair alot, which is fine - nair begins combos, finishes combos, and goes into dsmash at many %'s if you want a quick combo, which i see you use well. but you fail the l-cancel a fair bit, same goes for with dair, watch up to 1.10

your auto-cancelling of bair and uair is good, i would recommend zone-ing a bit more when u have him cornered, but thats a little hard with mario. i would definatly bair more - create walls and shield pressure if your in a tight spot or watever - you can still jump into your 2nd jump after a SH bair.

by far the biggest problem we have here is edgeguarding, and getting gimps is a big big big part of (my) marios game. without it i would never have gotten out of pools anywere. failed edgeguards at 0.40, 0.47, 1.20 and 1.28. They were all fatal edgeguards aswell, 3 bairs and a wd onto stage charged fsmash i believe.

One technique i actually didnt think of until watching a shroomed vid, when hanging off the edge press back to fall off and A to do a bair. you can have a bair hitbox out within around 7 frames of grabbing the edge, or renewing your frames or whatever. its alot faster and better than drop -> jump -> bair, but they are both suitable for their own situations

dont cape falcon unless he came from below the stage, and was far away. even if caped, if he came from slightly above stage or close to the stage he will make it on 9 times out of 10. cape is neverrr a substitute for bair!!

i can take this 1 step deeper, but im already scared i sound really patronising and know-it-all that i dont feel to carry on. so 1 more thing that helps bair edgeguarding - weak bair. If you hit the opponent, off the stage, with a weak bair - any char, almost any %, you are guarenteed a rising bair afterwards. its like jiggs using her weak fair -> strong fair, or falcons soft knee -> rising uair, etc.

Oh yeah, and grab more. Grab near the edge, throw falcons *** off. mix it up - throw a high bair, if he jumps into it its over. The next time he may try to recover low, so WD off the stage and bair. Those 2 cover most of the possible outcomes from bthrowing a falcon off the edge - the only problem is that you cannot cover both high and low at the same time, so make a guess everytime and go for it. Bthrowing an opp offstage gives mario a nice chance to take a guess and wipe a stock clean off. at high levels of play it will cease to be a 50/50 anymore, but you can space bair so you dont get hit by a rising knee, theres alot of stuff that can be done but typically - jump and bair, or WD off and bair - take a guess every time u throw a char off the edge.
This is kinda late, but thanks a lot J3ly, I'll post more vids soon and hope to see if you see any improvements :D

Oh and thanks for the vids A2ZOMG.

n0ne

Smash Ace

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
rookie, stop doing single Jabs after F-airs. It sucks. If you land F-air, do D-smash or grab. Those are the best options.

One mindgame that I like a lot especially against Peach at low percents is 3 Jabs -> F-smash. They will usually try to do something dumb and try to punish your Jab, so they get F-smashed instead. =D

n0ne

Smash Ace
Nice. U gotta work on various things tho.
-NEED MORE GRABS. I cant stress this enough u gotta do this. u do safe damage with this and u can still follow up after.
-Dont dash attack. Personally i think dash attack are gay (like fox and falcos that follow up into ANYTHING) or are just useless. i only did it on accident some of the times.
-Check my vids and study them... observe the backwards wavedashing and wavelandings i do so i can aproach or combo with bair or uair . Mario is SO much useful fighting backwards than frontwards. (just like ganon and his almighty bair)
-Learn to attack with the last part of the hitbox. for example at 1:58 of first vid if u did that, she would of been sent to the left with your nair, confusing her DI and to her death.
-REMEMBER, when are are recovering, this is MARIO not Doc, Mario can angle his UP B for ridiculous distance. helps a lot too.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
In essence (not watching the vids but seeing the critique), watch more Eggz, Green, and Brown Mario.

Don't single jab after Fairs. Single jab and Dsmash :D
Do NOT underestimate SHABAWD.
Never forget the Up-B cancel for Yoshi's Story.
No matter how good your opponent is, stand your ground and continue to use Mario.

and in the words of James McCloud, father of the more broken of characters,

Never give up. Trust your instincts.

j3ly

Smash Champion
grab is the best followup to fair if they are heavy. unquetionably. dsmash is only a good follow up on floaties on very low &'s / you are scared and are happy to get a measly 30% combo out of marios HARDEST to land move. fair a spacie at 0% on FD and chaingrab to 70 -> uair with the very top part of the attack -> normal uair -> fsmash/assorted followup. hitting them with the tip of marios foot while he is at the 180 degree angle is good at 70 -80%, because it accounts for and can be landed on all 3 forms of DI. technically fox/falco should be dead off every grab on FD.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I F-air -> D-smash Falcon a lot, because he can be annoying to grab combo at low percents due to his weight. Getting 30% on him beforehand makes my next throw combos work a lot better. Although what I really should do for just a bit more damage is F-air -> U-throw -> D-smash lol.

As I was saying throw -> D-smash is really good on FFers and isn't done enough. It's AMAZING if you predict a combo DI.

j3ly

Smash Champion
why dont you try tech chasing falcon? fair -> grab -> dthrow tech chase is a fairly large portion of my vs falcon game, especially seeing as you can jab reset him outta fthrow and can mix it up with uthrow -> utilt/smash (smash @ 40)

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Its good that the melee mario boards have not died yet. Falcon at 0% can be juggle pretty much to Death between up-throw CG to a few U-tilts to a few u-airs into a F-smash hould do the trick. Use fireballs, N-airs, and D-airs to stop him from running all over the **** place

j3ly

Smash Champion
i dont recommend nairing falcon alot for the reason u cant buff an instant auto-canceled roll if you miss like you can with sh uair/fh bair+bair/uair, and if you miss you will be in trouble. fireballs are really good against falcon

n0ne

Smash Ace
Yup. Drunk Mario friendlies. Its pretty weird to play with mario while drunk, and hard too, to record with a weird lag/video response time I get everytime I record.

LOOL I really didnt remember if i posted the links or not I remember uploading them to youtube but... Its as if half an hour before i went to sleep my mind went blank. Note to self: it is not recommended to eat rice krispy treats with alcohol in stomach and before bed. Anyways , gonna update a thread i made a while back.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
add to the old one I guess
they got a bulk of videos that we lack
soooo maybe when our little community grows and gets legit tournament recordings, then yes we can make a new one

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
We need that combo video of everyone in our current community :D Who in the current community? Along with the other stuff in the checklist, we should have a Mario rankings page!

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
we need a video thread that's a lot more organized too. gotta label the player, and the player + character he's playing against and what stage. just looks better and would make it easier if we ever want to analyze certain match-ups.

Top Bottom