• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Cheapness, idk what to do!

Akihiro

Smash Rookie
So, I had been playing Melee since I was pretty young and finally got a gamecube and Melee about a year and a half before Brawl was released. I played it a lot at my freinds house and when they were over at mine, and like we usually do with videogames we developed a fixation on becoming technically skilled at the game, aka shfflcs and WDs, etc. Now, we never reached the standard of "good" as would be judged on these forums, but Im pretty sure I couldve beaten anyone in the general area with Peach. I could shfflc a bit and wavedash semi-well (didnt need to mcuh as Peach, but I digress). Anyways, I played my Friend's friend for the first time and he picked Marth, who I was used to fighting due to my other firend using him. However, all this new guy did was spam dodge roll and C-Stick. I only won about half of the games against him, which really made me mad because technically I was faaar superior. Well with the release of Brawl I hoped the problem would be solved, but to my chagrin its even worse. I now basically cant beat him, and Im not kidding, he doesnt use his A button. He SPAMS dodgeroll and C-stick and I cant get over Marth;s range and priority. Im doing "skilled" things like shffs and b-sticking, and I think Im once again one of the better players of the general area, but he always beats me... This seems so cheap and I cant think of any way to get around it. I man Ike and Zamus and Pokemon Trainer. you have to remeber, because he dodgerolls all of my projectiles thats not working out very well, I usually end up eating a Fsmash when I try to spam. Shiledgrabbing wont work because of the aforementioned dodgeroll. I cant outrange him, even with Ike, and when Im Ike he spams counter. Anyways, Im sorry for the TL;DR material here, but Im stuck and its making me want to quit Brawl.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Learn to use your brain instead of your fingers. SHFFing and B-Sticking doesn't make you better than him, beating him makes you better than him.

WoodHaven The Cat

Smash Rookie
Marth, while i main him and 2 others, can be easily camped. As long as you are good at spacing and can use projectiles well you should be able to beat the average marth.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
First of all, fast falling HURTS you in Brawl. It will ADD lag to your attack. Don't believe me? Go try it.

Second, you need to wait for him to smash, shield, and punish him. Don't rely on tech skill for Brawl, it doesn't require as much as Melee, and can't completely make up for lack of "mind games."

Giff

Smash Rookie
use wolf........it always works for me against anyones marth.

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
Tech skill doesn't determine the outcome of the battle. It only helps if you combine that tech skill with your ability to outsmart your opponent. You already know how he plays, just look for ways to counter it. Don't rely on techs alone.

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
For whatever reason, I find Marth to be very predictable, which means everytime I see a Forward Smash coming, I do a quick side dodge and Smash him while he's still recovering from his own smash. Worked so far in Melee and Brawl...

Otherwise, you might consider a character better suited to trumping Marth's abilities.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
I never use Marth. But I get annoyed fighting her, esp. in melee. She is so cheap. Particularly when she is controlled by Ken.

And now they give her that ridiculous final smash......

Retaliation

Smash Cadet
I never use Marth. But I get annoyed fighting her, esp. in melee. She is so cheap. Particularly when she is controlled by Ken.

....marths a guy....

and to me, pit is the perfect counter for marth, pits arrows are viciously fast and if he tries to dodge roll at you, you can either grab him, forward smash him, or forward b him.

Mann

Smash Ace
Ever thought about the stage you are on.

How about trying something new.

If you were "faaaaar superior," then you would have known what to do. Did you know, you can hit them after the roll? As previously said, side-dodge? How about turnips? Or B. How about THROWING A TURNIP, and then FOLLOWING. There is nothing in the game that is preventing you from watching your opponent. Well, except for nintendog.

You already explained what that Marth was doing. And I'm pretty sure you could have figured out how to deal with it yourself.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Start roll spamming and projectile spam him. Also if he rolls behind you, be sure to do a down smash to punish him.

thebombguy

Smash Rookie
Umm... if you're far better you'd be beating him. Calling a technique or a combo cheap is the best way to show that you can't handle losing, and you're not as good as you'd like to think. Cheapness in its finest sense has even been fixed in this game to the point where if all he did, as you said, is spam the same moves, they would get weaker and have less knockback, so basically it's just proof that Marth is going to be high tier, to me. Conversely, Peach has been nerfed a little in this installment, and as has been a big topic on these boards, the whole game has been slowed down to more of a thinking person's game, and less of a muscle-memory melee. All I can say to you friend, is practice, practice against some lvl 9 computer Marths, and get used to the best combos, the dodge-rolling, the smash spam, etc. The only way to win is practice, you're not doing yourself any favours by posting here. (I would be playing right now, incidentally, but I was one of the unlucky ones to have smoke damage to my launch wii's disc-read lens..)

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
This might be a sign of you not being as good as you think you are?

anyways, I've had a lot of luck with King Dedede against Marth. I do quite well against a marth mainer that beat me most of the time in melee.

spam his b over and then shield grab him on his approaches and get some chain grabs.

jonfled

Smash Cadet
Start roll spamming and projectile spam him. Also if he rolls behind you, be sure to do a down smash to punish him.
This minus the roll spamming.

Learn to punish his approaches. Use projectiles aplenty if you have them. Make sure you know who has priority in every situation. You should know his playing style. Also, don't do b-sticking, etc. because it gives you an extra boost. It's like what people do in Halo 3 using the bumper jumper controller config. to "play better". Adjust to whatever makes you comfortable (if b-sticking is suiting you then it's fine). I use default and handle very well like I have been since the melee days.

Instead of Zamus try Samus and abuse her Zair. Sweetspotting, long range, no lag on landing, etc. Spam smissiles and hmissiles when the option is given. I have no trouble with my friend's Marth because I've memorized his playing style.

Counterpicks seem to be a heavy choice in brawl, much more so than in melee (I never counterpicked in melee because there were hardly any and I did fine with my main).

Supax

Smash Apprentice

Uhmmm... Marth isn't a 'she' it's a 'he'...

But you can't rely on tech skill to win with/against him.. You actually have to outsmart your opponent and be able to play mind games against them.. You can't just throw random wavedashes, and SHFFLs (in melee) against them and expect to win when you have no idea how to outsmart a player.

VU!?

Smash Cadet
dam... this just shows that it takes more than techs to be good. you have to use ur head too. its really simple tho, marth is purely a melee fighter so just space yourself from him. if u wanna stick with those characters tho i dont really know what you can do because i dont use those chars.

btw i lold at the guy who thought marth was a girl =D
no worries we all made taht mistake a one point....

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a woman
Oh dear. We best tell Sakurai, then, hmm?

Marth’s a royal prince from the Fire Emblem series who also is featured in the opening cinematic for the game.

He attacks with flowing blade work and special moves that enhance his offensive and defensive capabilities. You’ll want to play with Marth in a manner that befits his graceful style."

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Ya sorry I meant "Start projectile spamming and roll spamming AWAY from him. Also if he rolls behind you, be sure to do a down smash to punish him."

Mann

Smash Ace
I wouldn't just projectile spam. You guys remember the SF character Guile? Run after throwing the projectile at times to help you set up. Situational.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
we should tell sakurai

maybe she does not know that marth is a woman.
It's Sakurai, not Sakura. Although, I agree that Marth is woman, a woman to man transvestite named Martha to be more precise.

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a guy.
And this whole thread is flaming Marth just because he's a superior character.
Hey some people just can't beat Marth and that's that!
Give Marth some respect will you.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
we should tell sakurai

maybe she does not know that marth is a woman.
I'm sorry, but I can't find any evidence of that anywhere. Have you played the FE game Marth is from or what?

I'm just curious at this point.

Maku said:
Marth is a guy.
And this whole thread is flaming Marth just because he's a superior character.
Hey some people just can't beat Marth and that's that!
Give Marth some respect will you.
So your solution to the original poster's problem is "you can't beat Marth because he's better than your character?" That's silly. Even if certain characters have bad matchups against others, that shouldn't mean that you just plain can't win.

Anyways, I played my Friend's friend for the first time and he picked Marth, who I was used to fighting due to my other firend using him. However, all this new guy did was spam dodge roll and C-Stick. I only won about half of the games against him, which really made me mad because technically I was faaar superior. Well with the release of Brawl I hoped the problem would be solved, but to my chagrin its even worse. I now basically cant beat him, and Im not kidding, he doesnt use his A button. He SPAMS dodgeroll and C-stick and I cant get over Marth;s range and priority. Im doing "skilled" things like shffs and b-sticking, and I think Im once again one of the better players of the general area, but he always beats me... This seems so cheap and I cant think of any way to get around it. I man Ike and Zamus and Pokemon Trainer. you have to remeber, because he dodgerolls all of my projectiles thats not working out very well, I usually end up eating a Fsmash when I try to spam. Shiledgrabbing wont work because of the aforementioned dodgeroll. I cant outrange him, even with Ike, and when Im Ike he spams counter. Anyways, Im sorry for the TL;DR material here, but Im stuck and its making me want to quit Brawl.
Wait, he's rolling around you? And you're Ike? I play Ike!

Do you use your shield? Marth's Fsmash has a fairly large amount of lag , so you can punish him after he tries it. Why not let him eat a a tilt, or maybe even a smash (I doubt there's time) after you shield his fsmash? Also, don't forget his AAA combo. It's a good way to get the jump on people who think they can get in strong attacks because Ike is so slow, and that last hit has decent knockback. You can also use his AAA to disrupt people after they roll/dodge. Or you can use Ike's Down smash to hit them when they roll behind you. It's funny.

Alternative 2 - Counter his Fsmashes. If he's so predictable, this should be easy.

Alternative 3 - Sometimes waiting half a second to attack, to see if they're dodging or countering or whatever, is totally worth it. See, if you always shorthop->aerial, then he knows exactly what's coming. Instead, shorthop->doublejump back a bit->aerial. Not that you should do this every time, but if you mix it up, they can't pull out the same trick every time.

#1 & #3 should be useful for any character. Like other people have said, ATs are useless by themselves.

Top Bottom