• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Dittos

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
what in the world is more frustrating than thinking you're spacing well in a marth ditto only to get tipper ftilted off the stage at mid percents and then dtilted on recovery?
Getting KO'd by a random tipper F-Smash! =^_^=

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Generally, the option that gets me on stage safely the most is just jumping up and landing barely on the edge. Not as effective vs Falco because of lasers obviously, as well as Sheiks that just throw needles at you when you get up, but it works well vs all the other top/highs.

Niko45

Smash Master
^Yea but even if you do manage to get up, if they didn't take the bait and they're just sitting there you're still Marth with 0 space behind you. Not out of the woods yet.

Just checking into this thread to update that I still suck horribly at Marth dittos and probably always will.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you fight one of like 7 people that might be a problem.

Marth ditto can be tl;dr'd into whoever swings first loses.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Me: "Hey mew2king who do you think the 2nd best Marth in the world is?"

M2K: "Idk they're all pretty bad"

/thread

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
^Yea but even if you do manage to get up, if they didn't take the bait and they're just sitting there you're still Marth with 0 space behind you. Not out of the woods yet.

Just checking into this thread to update that I still suck horribly at Marth dittos and probably always will.
I've never really had a problem with not having space behind me, but I don't rely/need to spam dashdance camping like most Marth players...

Niko45

Smash Master
I didn't realize DD camping was something that stilled worked on anyone/could be relied on. I'm just saying it's more about on their end their ability to rule out certain threats that you would normally have, making their approaches safer and your options more limited. Isn't it pretty basic that a character with no stage behind him is disadvantaged to the character that has stage behind them? Literally getting yourself back on to the stage is only half the battle with the whole Marth on the ledge problem.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Only if you don't understand how big your sword (read: threat) is. Marth happens to be a tremendous douche when he is at the edge. See: Mew2King.

There is a reason people yell to not go to the edge.

Generally, it is far more safe for an opponent to allow you room once you have established that you are on stage, regardless of having that disadvantage in rear space purely because of the threat of being tossed off stage. This is dependent on opponent character obviously, but for the majority, it still holds true.

From there, its just a matter of pushing back for control. If you try to engage too soon, you will get ****ed because Marth sucks at offensive play.

Jun.

Smash Lord
not meaning to john for him but the guy does play two very different games at every major tournament.

Dart!

Smash Master
not meaning to john for him but the guy does play two very different games at every major tournament.
...no johns. He dropped out of brawl before this part of the bracket because he was having more fun in melee. which means he was focusing on melee.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
hmm, after pound 5 i find this post to be lulzy
I watched him get trounced by dr peepee while using marth. it was embarrassing to say the least
...no johns. He dropped out of brawl before this part of the bracket because he was having more fun in melee. which means he was focusing on melee.

its not like any other marth has done better than him...

even the ones that only play melee... which is sad :( :( :(

Niko45

Smash Master
It's pretty misleading to compare m2k to other marth players because m2k's...not really a marth player. He uses Marth for a handful of matchups. No sheik player or fox player outplaced him at P5 either, so I guess it's all really sad?

OverLord

Smash Ace
You can say it's sad just compared to "old" M2K. He placed good and could do better. Still among the best.

Kadano

Magical Express
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokIqAnK3HA

Marth Ditto's are stupid....and confusing to me.
1) When your opponent is recovering, don't spam Shieldbreaker. Instead, just wait at the right distance from the ledge and dtilt his recovery. You can fsmash him if he upBs again, but dtilting again is safer. If he is so far away from the ledge that he won't be able to get on the stage with his reocvery, simply edgehog. Dtilting his recovery mostly makes them try sweetspotting the ledge so that they don't get punised; so if you see them hesitating before their upB (they often do a sideB to stall a little), wavedash and fastfall to the ledge afap.

2) DON'T approach with fairs. Fairs are very good for combos if the Marth is already in hitlag, but approaching with them gets extremely easily punished by Fsmashes. Auto-canceled Nairs are much safer if you space them out of their grab range or dash behind them as soon as you land (their grab won't get you because of shield stun).

3) If you get grabbed, always DI away from the stage. Marths usually fthrow fsmash you if they look towards the ledge and dthrow fsmash you if they face towards the stage. Smart Marths will eventually do the opposite, but 1. it's possible to still react correctly and not get hit and 2. if the Fsmash hits you, you are most probably not dead (except high %) while the fsmash tipper towards the ledge can kill you from about 30 %.

4) Dtilt is extremely good vs Marth. Keep using it that much; it's often a good alternative to fsmashes as he can't wd oos punish it.

Top Bottom