• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Grab Release (NEW INFORMATION!)

∫unk

Smash Master
I posted this in the Ness forums too...

This is known among some but not to all so I'll clarify some common misconceptions.

Everyone knows about the grab release Marth has on Lucas and Ness... here lies my problem:

• Lucas and Ness are lifted off the ground when Marth grabs them... that means that the release will ALWAYS be a jump break... UNLESS the break happens while lucas/ness is getting grab attacked. This will force a ground break. So if you get grabbed, don't worry about hitting the jump button it has nothing to do with doing a jump break, just spam.

• If Lucas/Ness jump break, then you guys have no problem you can jump away air dodge lots of options.

• If it's a ground break, Marth can grab again, but ONLY if you stand right in front of him. This means, While you're being grabbed always DI back with the analog, so if you do ground break you can break away from him.

• If the Marth is fast enough, he can dash grab and do this again. However, there are two limitations to this.
- One is the fact that he's spamming grab attack to force the ground break and minimize the chance of a jump break. This means when you do ground break his shield automatically comes up from spamming Z or R + A, and the frames to lower the shield and try a dash grab is enough for Lucas and Ness to escape. It is humanly impossible to react fast enough because your button input to do the next grab attack is in when the break happens.
- The second is that if you're near the edge, you'll just DI off and grab the ledge. So play near the edges. Your b-throw will kill at lower percents, and your both not bad off the edge.

• If the Marth grab attacks slow enough, however, he can react fast enough to do the dash grab. However, if he isn't doing the grab attack fast enough, the chances to do a jump break GREATLY increases.

Pretty much, you can get out either way. It's unreliable for Marth and not worth forcing, as it was before.

A lot of people think you have to hit jump to do the jump escape, or that Marth can continue with the dash grab. But I've tested this a lot as the Lucas/Ness player and the Marth, and I'm convinced this doesn't work.

Top Bottom