• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth help please

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
I am a new player and maining Marth I know most of the basics but is there anything I should work on

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Try working on your ability to ask questions, it seems pretty deficient.

Seriously this game is way too deep to answer a question like that.

seko08sk

Smash Cadet

Ok like in order to play a better marth I can wavedash waveland etc but like stuff what are things that marths should be able to do

The Depths

Smash Rookie
Ok like in order to play a better marth I can wavedash waveland etc but like stuff what are things that marths should be able to do
Are you asking if there is any specific tech skill that Marth players should have? Pivot grabs and fsmash are important. I'm having a difficult time grasping what you're trying to ask though. Marth isn't really known for character specific tech. You just have to have really good ground movement. Dash dancing is #1 >_>

D

Deleted member

lol what a douche.

always hit with the tip. tech skill doesn't matter when you're new. just practice always hitting with the tip and try not to fall for things.

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
lol what a douche.

always hit with the tip. tech skill doesn't matter when you're new. just practice always hitting with the tip and try not to fall for things.
Ok thanks and what do mean by try not to fall for things?

D

Deleted member

just play smart. don't get tricked by gimmicks or overextend much.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Use shield stops to help you space your fairs. This has been extremely helpful to me lately. On top of that find different ways to use your zoning tools. Think about what makes these zoning tools good and try and use them in new ways. Watch other people play and try and understand their thought process on what they do and the moves they are using. I think working on your spacing is very important, but you also really need to work on your movement game as well. Use short dash dances and long dash dances. That should be a good place to start. Also it's best to practice against an opponent. When you are playing against your friends try out new things don't always try and beat them. When you play with them work on your game and refine it while you are playing with them.

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, humor doesn't translate well. Didn't mean to be so rude.

Anyway, yeah, I can't answer because I don't know what you're asking. Tech skill? Specific marth techs, general skill every marth should know? Matchup questions or combos/followups to be fluid with or...

Generally, practicing against other people is the best way to practice your spacing, but if you still need to get used to the exact ranges of your moves some people like to use bobombs and hit them with marth's aerials; if you space it correctly they'll blow up and you won't get hit.

lol what a douche.

That would seem misleading at first.
1) Suppose you are underneath falco on a platform. You fall from a short hop with Uair getting a tipper Uair around like 90% or something. Their DI puts them above the platform still. You FH non-tipper Uair directly which puts Falco in enough knockback for Fsmash to close out the stock. Where another tipper would not have allowed to get the stock.
2) You hit (insert character) offstage and run off to swat them away with Fair. But, you hit them with tipper Fair which cause them to go straight up and actually help them recover instead of getting the non-tipper which would hit them away from the stage horizontally.
3) Also, not all moves marth has can be tippered such as Nair.
In generally, I think your right and is a good thing to focus on tipper spacing. But, not always. "Always" versus "majority of the time" is confused far too often.

I am a new player and maining Marth I know most of the basics but is there anything I should work on
Maybe you think you know the basics :p I have been at this for a few years now and I am not entirely sure anymore what are the basics. But, about the topic at hand... From what I have observed from trying to pick up a new character or other people getting started is a sort of two phase agenda. In the simplest ways, the first part is getting familiar with what the character can do. The second part is refinement. The two sort of coincide I think at the same time. When you start learning and experimenting with one thing you are refining something else at the same time or multiple things.

So, I think you should just learn about the different things Marth can do and test it out. Did you know that the reverse hit on UpB is stronger than the regular hit? You can reach the lower platform of YI and FoD with a SH Uair? Marth can get a fully charged shield breaker on Jiggs from a missed rest and it kills on most stages near 0%? Undoubtedly, as you keep playing you learn new things. However, sometimes things can be misleading. Fthrow -> Fsmash might seem to work, but does not work given DI away in marth dittos. At the same time you are learning new things you can be refining things.

Basically, keep playing and practicing being able to get your execution well done. I believe you can never really call anything mastered. You might get something many times successfully one day, but not several months from now.

D

Deleted member

That would seem misleading at first.
You're thinking way too hard. He's new. He can learn nuance on his own.

I stand by my prior statement. Always hit with the tip. Once you never miss tip hits, you can expand to the rest of the character, tech skill, etc. tips first.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Learn your movement techniques to the point where they're second nature. You need them to win the neutral game, and they also help with edge guarding and combos. Dashdance grab, wavedash down tilt, and the occasional SH F-air are enough to beat 90% of players if you know how to use them correctly.

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
You could try practice juggling, Chain grabbing on lvl 3 foxes/falcos, and sweet spotting your up-b. Pivots are good aswell, whether it be pivot fsmashes or grabs. DI, L cancels, short hops, and shield drops. There's a never ending list of things you could practice.

Think about your opponent's position before you approach/defend. Just look at high level players and try to see how they do things

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Ok and is there a good way to practice tipppers
There's a couple ways. Tipping shy guys on yoshis is pretty good practice to hit moving targets. Bomb-ombs also don't hurt you when you tip them.

You should really listen too, the brain can react to audio cues faster than visual cues (fairly sure). Marth will have a distinct sound for when he tips aerials (kind of like a sharp sound) And a big boom when he tips fsmash.

Last learn your hitboxes, there are multiple hitboxes on most of your aerial moves which you need to combo that are affected by not only spacing but timing as well. Make sure you are precise.

Top Bottom