• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Match Up Thread. Being Redone Soon.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
it's so weird how little respect europe gets. it should be freaking obvious from watching any vids that amsah has the second best marth in the world right now

Niko45

Smash Master
idk if I agree that Amsah has the #2 Marth (just haven't seen it enough) but I definitely agree that europe is ****ing **** and has a bunch of **** marths. Especially for a relatively small smash scene.

Just Sexed

Smash Ace
idk if I agree that Amsah has the #2 Marth (just haven't seen it enough) but I definitely agree that europe is ****ing **** and has a bunch of **** marths. Especially for a relatively small smash scene.
Strawhat definitely got off at pound 4.

Yoshi is a every tricky fight for an inexperienced marth player. Mind Trick you got any vids of you vs marths ?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
so i don't understand this line: "intentionally underspacing the fair wil....and make them more likely to flinch.

what does underspacing the fair mean. do you mean landing on top of them with a fair? or landing away? not sure why either is good..if you land outside of range with a fair they will punish your lag and if you land inside tipper range you will probably be able to dash through with a late fair but they may grab you. though of course you should try to run through if you do misspace..but yeah i don't get what you're saying here.
By underspacing I mean intentionally hitting with the middle of your fair rather than the tip, as opposed to overspacing, which is intentionally spacing your move so it misses.

Dashing away is a lot better than dashing through unless you land like, inside them. The reason for underspacing is because if you tip the fair they obviously won't be able to reach with a grab so they probably won't even try. If you intentionally land inside their grab range then dash away, they'll be more like to "flinch," by which I meant taking the bait and shield grabbing.

I also don't understand what you mean by covering every tech option with upthrow onto platform into upair.. i can agree that you get 3/4 but don't see how it's possible to get more than that..if you upair at a time that can hit tech in place the back end of the upair will catch a roll in but it won't catch a techroll in the other direction. while if you just wait of course you can cover everything but tech in place.
Neutral tech and both side techs all have the same duration of invincibility (frames 1-20). It's actually pretty easy to cover all options with uair. Try it.

Dart!

Smash Master
It seems ive forgotten how to fight space animals...i ***** every sheik that crossed my path at the last tournament i played too. tell me fellow marth mains, what does it mean to **** spacies anymore?

Dart!

Smash Master
tink said being patient wasn't working, we have to be on them all the time... i don't think that's quite right but my waiting game was getting ***** :/

I.B

Smash Lord
hm... i'm beginning to think falco has a slight advantage vs marth. it could just be me in the matchup, but winning vs higher level foxes only to be beat out by their falco secondary is pretty ****ed.

lasers heavily restrict marth's dash dance game
dair > marth's CC game

and with his shine, falco can keep marth dangling up in the air a lot, which we know hurts marth.

thoughts?

Niko45

Smash Master
hm... i'm beginning to think falco has a slight advantage vs marth. it could just be me in the matchup, but winning vs higher level foxes only to be beat out by their falco secondary is pretty ****ed.

lasers heavily restrict marth's dash dance game
dair > marth's CC game

and with his shine, falco can keep marth dangling up in the air a lot, which we know hurts marth.

thoughts?
I know a lot of people who feel like this, including Falco players. Personally I think Falco definitively is tougher for Marth than Fox, but I also feel like Marth beats Fox in all honesty so idk if its necessarily a disadvantage to Falco. I lean towards calling it even.

I also have noticed that transitioning suddenly from fighting Fox to fighting Falco is extremely annoying and hard, for what its worth.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Fox is very good at being patient while being right in your face. I play fox because i dont know how to do that with marth without over-committing.

Niko45

Smash Master
Ultimately you have to hit powershields against Falco. Ur not mobile enough to consistently out-maneuver lasers. If you powershield well, Falco goes down hard. With no powershields, it feels like there are no openings against a good falco. My powershielding always abandons me in tourney tho. So frustrating.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I was only powershielding about 40% when i played zhu, but he wasn't phased at all. He spaces himself in preparation of the powershield. The match-up is just like any other match-up, tricking your opponent into attacking while never approaching dangerously.

booshk

Smash Lord
i think to use powershield effectively in matches you have to be extremely consistent and very good at doing things out of powershield.. if a marth can't hit his powershields all the time he can get punished and it's not worth it if you're not consistent enough at it. i think powershielding isn't essential, but i think it definitely helps a lot.

I.B

Smash Lord
become proficient at dashing asap out of everything you do

become proficient with CC grabbing

become proficient with spacing everything

learn to death combo

watch m2k vs jman or PC or zgetto or any fox for that matter

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hay guys. tips on vs ganon?
double space.

you can combo him really easy and get a kill from 1 hit pretty well. Just make sure you tech chase with grabs and throw him until he gets bored of being on the stage. Once he is off, edgeguard with fairs if he goes high. If he goes low you can really hit with whatever you want. When i really feel like disrespecting a ganon i just jab and fair them off the stage until they stop trying.

If you're really trying, just make sure to always spike his downb recovery. Free stock.

booshk

Smash Lord
double space.

you can combo him really easy and get a kill from 1 hit pretty well. Just make sure you tech chase with grabs and throw him until he gets bored of being on the stage. Once he is off, edgeguard with fairs if he goes high. If he goes low you can really hit with whatever you want. When i really feel like disrespecting a ganon i just jab and fair them off the stage until they stop trying.

If you're really trying, just make sure to always spike his downb recovery. Free stock.
any specific combos? for example possible regrabs or utilt or something at a certain percent?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Uhh i just free style. Get one hit and watch where he DIs and hit him again. As long as you keep hitting him (and tech chasing when he hits the ground) you should get some pretty cool combos.

Niko45

Smash Master
Cool combos are always nice.

Dash dance grab ***** Ganon btw.
I can never get in past the fair -> jab. I feel like the range covers his lag, but maybe my timing isn't precise enough. Either way, I'm kinda scared to rush in there. I'd rather sit back and hit him with my sword some and then grab him once he's a bit off balance.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Dash dancing implies that you're on the defensive. Grab isn't the best tool for breaking Ganon's wall of retreating fair. Running dtilt and dash attack serve that purpose better.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
falcon wins on a big stage, marth wins on a small stage. I'm not sure about the odds but that's the basic formula IMO.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i kinda feel like falcon wins if he knows the matchup

but like, almost no falcon knows the matchup

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
I can never get in past the fair -> jab. I feel like the range covers his lag, but maybe my timing isn't precise enough. Either way, I'm kinda scared to rush in there. I'd rather sit back and hit him with my sword some and then grab him once he's a bit off balance.
I have trouble with fair->jab as well, what is a good way around this/way to punish it?

Dart!

Smash Master
I have trouble with fair->jab as well, what is a good way around this/way to punish it?
you can always jump in with a counter, if he intends on spamming it i would definitely play his game and jump in with counter to piss him off.

a more serious and more effective answer is to space dash dance to wavedash jab/grab.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
haha, I will try the counter thing, sounds like it'll be funny.

space dd ->jab/grab sounds really good too. fighting ganon is fun, it's always **** cause ganon can just kill you in 3+ hits and with any good character you can combo the **** outta him.

Dart!

Smash Master
i mean really, once he throws that **** out he has to commit so just punish him with counters all day to really get him steamin ;)

Top Bottom