• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth players, how do you handle StarFox characters?

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
I mostly play characters not used by most people. But for the life of me, if there's anything that pisses me off more, it's a person who boasts about how great their Fox is when all they do is patterns.

Particularly, I've got a friend who always goes for the Smash moves Fox has and I've noticed he never uses c-stick or Fox's tilts or even his Side-B move as a recovery (he's still more used to the N64 SSB). Likewise he always aims to do the Uair move Fox has whenever he can. Another thing he constantly does is spam the A-combo attack and his laser. Hardly uses the reflector because he underestimates it's potential and frankly all he does is boasts about how great his Fox is.

I main Marth and have so far faired even with him. What else can you suggest as Marth?

∫unk

Smash Master
Fox's tilts are godly in 64.... Same with jab cancel but I doubt he's doing that he's probably just spamming A which is really bad.

Sounds like you're losing to a bad player that spams attacks. Which means you're even worse.

Watch videos of any of the good Marth players. Learn the basics and read the stickies.

For the matchup specifically you can chain f-throw to tipper f-smash for an easy 30% but that's an advance tactic that you don't really need to be worrying about until you have the basics down (which should let you 3 stock anyone that does what you describe).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Don't jump into the ****?

You're not describing your friend too well here. Therefore the fact that you're losing to him because he's playing newbish means you're not doing too well either.

Work on your spacing, zone/"camp" near tipper range w/ your fair. DI away from his jab attacks. Anticipate his Uairs and airdodge.

If he's very predictable about Smash attacks. And I mean very predictable, Counter.

Eh, just general advice. Generic post, w/e.

Palpi

Smash Hero
My friend is a fairly good fox player. Like vietg said, spacing and camping, I either die from a stupid recovery mistake or missing a predictable usmash. When you around 90% don't let him get close to you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
My friend is a fairly good fox player. Like vietg said, spacing and camping, I either die from a stupid recovery mistake or missing a predictable usmash. When you around 90% don't let him get close to you.
Isai or whatever his name is spelled once said: Don't get hit. Thats how you win in Brawl. Don't fall into your opponent, dont fall for predictable moves. Outspace him and beat him.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Dude if you know what he does and you can't beat him.... then frankly you need more practice.

If you know what he is going to do then take advantage of it. It doesn't matter if your opponent plays "unsafe" and "stupid" if it works and is beating you, then it doesn't matter how stupid it is, until you start to continually punish.

Anyway, against Fox. Outspace with your aerials primarily fair, use dtilt traps and counter since you seem to know what he will do, especially be aware when he uses smash attacks and goes for the uair kill. If he uses rapid jab then just DI away and punish.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
There is a thread for all Marth match-ups. It's stickied. Look for the Fox one. It even has summaries if you're too lazy to read it all. Although I think the Marth character guide is where you should go first. Just a suggestion.

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
I hold my own against him well enough to beat him 7 out of 10 matches.

The reason why I ask is I also want to learn how to mix up since what he may do I respond with another move. But if he keeps doing the same thing over and over, I don't want to end up doing the same.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hmm what was that guys name that talked about competitive gaming? Oh yea, Shirlin. Look him up, read it, live it, learn it. Playing cheap is the way to win. Why do you think DDD spams his grabs? Why does Pit spam arrows? Why is Falco always FIRIN HIS LAHZUR? The answer is simple, because it works. If your goal is to win, the ends justify the spamming/camping means.

That being said i think you just need to dolphin slash more. That fixes jab spammers real quick (except for snake and ike). As for the other problems you have, Backlash reccomends the Q/A thread (post a question there)

Coda

Smash Cadet
that Fox sounds like crap.

Counter pick! nah these are friendlies. But lasers don't mean anything. Approach him and **** him up.
Keep a good distance for tipped fairs.

If he smashes A LOT. shield and Up B. or Shield -> DB or Shield -> Grab.

During his jab, Up B.

Uair is difficult to aim. (fox's) though it's the beginning of the 2nd hit that is important to escape. Fox's Uair has a sex-like effect on the 2nd hit. If you fall into Uair in the ending animation you'll get damaged (with no knockback)... it doesn't matter. Some avoidable damage, But just follow him and punish. At the very least Falling Fair into him.

How does he approach?

If he doesn't approach either approach or force him to play some ledge games. Approaching is more effective but luring him to your side is fun if all he does is spam lasers.

If he approach, Jab his DA...(or shield, and DS, DB, or grab) Basically if doesn't know how to play fox as it sounds. You'll have to problem punishing him.

If he is competent. Then Shield ALL of his dair and grab him. I think you can DS him. But don't remember.

Keep distances.

KramCAKEs

Smash Rookie
f-throw chain to tip or spike (edgehog) lol basically works on all space animals and shfffairs are good cause it makes it so fox cant just go right under u and usmash retreating nair for tip is always cool, space animals are usually easy unless they grab u the whole time. yep

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Knock them off the stage and edgeguard. Use ledge traps, predict their predictable recoveries.

Falco has HORRIBLE recovery, knock him under the ledge and hes basically dead.

Fox is just **** for Marth as he is light and Marth outranges him in so many ways.

Wolf is kinda mixed, bad recovery, punishable smashes during cooldown. Abuse up b.

DON'T rely on fthrow to dair. You should be able to win without it.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Love their recovery. ven in Brawl the space animals still have horrible recoveries. They countinued to get gimped. Force their major recovery flaw. And you will make them your *****!

Top Bottom