• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth units (how to tipper 100% of the time)

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
I have created this guide to help fellow marth users tipper with his sword. I lied in the title to catch you guys in. But atleast you're here and I can try to help and do my part. Arrite, so to go about this we must first create the arbitrary system to measure length in the smash bros universe. For marth we shall call them marth units. Note that the marth unit is the width of marths stance from toe to toe. Also note that this is approximately the space between the arrows on final destination. This will later prove useful. Now it is impossible to get tippers 100% of the time because this is purely theoretical and as we learned in our science classes; things don't go as smoothly or nicely in the real world. So with that in mind this guide further serves as a method to become familiarized with marth's spacing. When i talk about units in this guide I mean the space between marth's front foot and his opponents (note I tested this all on another marth). For all of the attacks I put the computer marth in the outer most green-blue arrow with his feet inside the arrow (inside the color of the arrow). My Marth was at the second arrow with his front foot touching the corner of the inside of the arrow. This means my marth was not inside the arrow as was the computer marth. The distance between the two was 2 units. Final Destination is 20 units from edge to edge. From the edge of final destination to the outside point of the first green-blue arrow is approximately 2 units (with marth's back foot on the edge). From the outside corner of the center diamond to the inside corner of the inner most arrow is two units. From the inner most arrow's outside corner to the outer most arrow's inside corner is 1 unit. Center diamond is 6 units. From half the stage to the edge is 10 units.

A A combo- 1 unit

F tilt- 2 units

D tilt- 2 units

U tilt- N/A

F smash- 2 units

D smash- 2 units

U smash - N/A

N air- 1 unit (tricky to land)

F air- 1 unit

B air- 1 unit (slightly tricky to land)

D air- N/A or rather...not worth it

B- 3 units

Up B- 1 unit

Down B- 3 units (from my testing. Someone should double check)

I ignored blade dancing because I'm not extremely comfortable with Marth yet and dancing blades is a pretty comprehensive things with all the different variations and shifting of marth's movements. I'll leave this for another time or maybe Emblem lord wants' to take up the challenge...? Again, sorry for not having a recording device. I tried my best to make this useful. Hope this really helps. Thank you.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I will thank you for making this effort at research, but I've always found that learning through intuition and practice helps more than attempting to strictly memorize positioning...However, I do recognize that different people learn different ways, so thanks for the small guide. :)

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
I will thank you for making this effort at research, but I've always found that learning through intuition and practice helps more than attempting to strictly memorize positioning...However, I do recognize that different people learn different ways, so thanks for the small guide. :)
yeah. I wanted to develop this approach so that you can then become familiar with spacing and develop that intuition with practice. I mean i mentioned early that theoretical and practical are completely different so in the real world this will not work at all but it helps familiarize with spacing.

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
This'll definitely help me when I'm on Final Destination :) I don't think I would be able to keep track on other stages though (unless I could figure out some pattern or something).

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
I think the precision would have to be deeper than that
Especially SB

I mean is it really that difficult to get used to "when your this close, press the button"?
Takes awhile but that's it

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I got what you were saying with this guide to an extent, but I still had issues drawing a picture. x_x

Iunno. Maybe some imagery would help alot more.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
yeah videos will make this guide COMPLETE...this will rly help marth players get that game deciding kill in order to win...i know itll help me :-)

Top Bottom