• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Falco

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sooooooooo...check this out. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186338

Alright now since this new match-up thread requires both boards to agree the Marth vs Falco match is not up there. It was taken down when a Falco mainer showed that both the Marth community and the Falco community disagreed about the match-up ratio.

So, that brings us here. We are going to talk about the match-up and settle it. So now is your chance to debate the match up and use evidence to support w/e ratio you claim the match-up to be.

If you think it's dead even, then you had best be able to back that claim up. Think Falco destroys Marth? Support it. Think Marth mows Falco down? Prove it.

Remember this is about Falco Vs Marth at a high level. If you don't play at a high level then you need to envision how the match would be played. Meaning Marth isn't going to be spamming smash attacks since a good Marth knows it's unsafe to do so and Falco won't constantly spam dash attack canceled U-smashes for the same reason.

The line is drawn in the sand and you even have the home field advantage. But I did this for a reason of course. I'm bored and I think one against the entire Falco community could be interesting. ;)

Let's see how long it takes for the Marth community to catch onto this thread. :laugh:

Anyway...discuss!!!

You can all go ahead and present your arguments. I will respond later.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
IMO an even match-up is what comes to mind. I play both , but Falco more.

I heard that the chaingrab can be broken at around 8% by a quick ^B from Marth so all those Chaingrabbers might not suceed much if that is what they do. Falco's lasers may be able to catch Marth whilst approaching, but Marth definitely wins when it comes to range.

Falco's "good" ranged attacks are his Lasers and his Reflector. As we all know, the reflector has quick start-up, but it takes time to return and Marth IS extremely fast.

Marth's Aerial game is better than Falco's in terms of Speed, Range, and if tipped, Power. Marth's floaty-nature can also be of disturbance to Falco's tight hitboxes on most moves.

On the ground though, a smart Falco will space well (A Smart player in general actually) and can find good oportunities through means of lasering and IAPh (Immediate Aerial Phantasm). Marth might have trouble if he chooses to stay grounded so he will most likely take flight. Although, Marth's >B combo is extremely fast and has good damage numbers.

Marth's Dolphin Slash is extremely quick, unexpecting, powerful AND a "Get the F_ck away from me" move.

Yeah, looks pretty fair a match to me.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
I would have to say they are pretty much even. They almost cancel out each other. Falco with the chain grab and marth able to get out of it using up b. Falco is able to keep marth on the ground with shdl so marth cant do fairs or anything unless marth is up close. Both of them have punishable smashes. Both fsmashes are about the same range kinda but marth's fsmash is faster and less start up time. Falco has a easier sweet spot for spiking than marth. Marth's attack has more range than falco i believe. Marth also has IASA frames on his dtilts and other attacks. I know marth is the better punisher because of his dancing blade and he also has a good edge guarding game also but falco has better recovery because he's able to recover both horizontally and vertically. I know that falco has more techniques than marth seeing that he has the dash attack to usmash combo or the boost smash and what not. They are both easy to gimp. If they either characters grab each other they are probably going to be able to get at least 35% on each other or more with follow up attacks after the grab.

Rimmer

Smash Rookie
Having a lot of experience playing against a good Marth user, I can with confidence say that Marth has an advantage. First off, his moves all outrange Falco's. Lasers work badly since Marth can attack pretty much instantly after being hit with, for instant, Fair, which makes lasers ineffective for approach. Spacing with reflector is risky due to the lag being easily punishable with Marth's range. The window of opportunity to punish Marth's attacks is tiny at best. Marth has a death combo on Falco also. The best strategy I've been able to use is shielding and grabbing/punishing, but that only works since the guy I play against doesn't use Shield Breaker a lot.

And then of course there's the fact that Marth can gimp Falco with no trouble at all.

Oh yeah, Marth is also the reason I incorporated grounded lasers into my game, since he can rush under short hopped ones unless you do them perfectly.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Can you elaborate more on the Death Combo Rimmer? I saw it somewhere, but i just don't know what it is exactly.

Esca

Smash Champion
Okay, i'll give you plenty of reasons, Emblem Lord.

Marth > falco, about 60:40. Why?

1. Priority: Both Marth's dtilt, nair, and ftilt out-prioritize Falco's fantasm. (Side-B)

2. Recovery: Yes, Falco has a decent horizontal recovery, BUT.. as listed in 1, it's very easily predicted, and out-prioritized. Marth's recovery > Falco's.

3. Damage: Sure, Falco has the chain grab, but Marth can very easily get out of it. Up-B, takes care of every situation.

4. Death %: Falco also dies at lower percentage than Marth does.

5. Play styles: Falco has to play close up, right? right. Well of course not if your gonna spam lasers, but hey...you said advanced players are playing, soooo. Advanced falco players know that they have to get close to even try to do damage. Marth has this really useful thing called a Tipper, it's the hitbox at the end of his sword, and it hits harder and has extraordinary knockback. yeah, A good falco can't get close if a good Marth is playing him.

I win.

60:40.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
i believe falco has a slight advantage because he stops marth from using his air game to his full potential with lasers, grabs, shield to arials. Both have a decent ground game, up close it can be pretty even except for the fact that no matter what marth does falco will be farther from marth wherther he is hit or not, unless its off the stage its not a good thing for marth. marth's lack of projectiles is his vital weakness in this match and a defensive falco will spam lasers and phantasm all day. An offense falco will laser and grab marth most of the time.

Also i would like to state that chain grabs aren't as nessacery in this match, which can at nair instead, run and hold shield for the obvious fair from marth (don't have to sometimes) in which he will be stun in the air and falco can nair him again. marth should never use his second jump in this situation because a good falco can space himself for a double laser up smash or tilt.

falco can still hurt marth in the start of the game with the dash attack up smash. it's one of falcos little "combos" where he can dash upsmash>u tilt>u tilt>nair>nair>double laser>nair/up smash/grab/dair/maybe something else to and it works pretty well on marth and anyone else and to mention it can also start with the d throw. Falco can stop marth's ground game in its track with the AAA combo but don't always hav to shine. And to mention my favorite kill action for marth, since he is sorta like a floaty in the air and he is falling down slow falco can f smash because it beats his fair and any of his air moves (unless he counters).

now marth can gimp him but not as easily horizontaly since there have been times the phantasm has went through the fair or you can't simply time it write. marth can side b to grab which can be good to gimping falco, tech chase, or the famous f smash. even chasing falco off the stage, there still be a chance that falco will make it before you. marth's f smash ***** falco wen the poor bird is either trying to get on the ground or on a platform (vise versa with falco's nair). marths up moves beats falcos dair (marth is most vunurable when falco is under him). only marths throws can really get falco verticaly off stage fair sends them horizontal and slightly upwards same with his nair but a bit more up. D tilt and shield breaker great with marth vs falcos, use it to shield pressure along with fairs, and don't use fairs constantly.

there I'm done =)
i hope i am resonable.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Okay, i'll give you plenty of reasons, Emblem Lord.

Marth > falco, about 60:40. Why?

1. Priority: Both Marth's dtilt, nair, and ftilt out-prioritize Falco's fantasm. (Side-B)

2. Recovery: Yes, Falco has a decent horizontal recovery, BUT.. as listed in 1, it's very easily predicted, and out-prioritized. Marth's recovery > Falco's.

3. Damage: Sure, Falco has the chain grab, but Marth can very easily get out of it. Up-B, takes care of every situation.

4. Death %: Falco also dies at lower percentage than Marth does.

5. Play styles: Falco has to play close up, right? right. Well of course not if your gonna spam lasers, but hey...you said advanced players are playing, soooo. Advanced falco players know that they have to get close to even try to do damage. Marth has this really useful thing called a Tipper, it's the hitbox at the end of his sword, and it hits harder and has extraordinary knockback. yeah, A good falco can't get close if a good Marth is playing him.

I win.

60:40.
don't touch my falco, EVER

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
i believe falco has a slight advantage because he stops marth from using his air game to his full potential with lasers, grabs, shield to arials. Both have a decent ground game, up close it can be pretty even except for the fact that no matter what marth does falco will be farther from marth wherther he is hit or not, unless its off the stage its not a good thing for marth. marth's lack of projectiles is his vital weakness in this match and a defensive falco will spam lasers and phantasm all day. An offense falco will laser and grab marth most of the time.

Also i would like to state that chain grabs aren't as nessacery in this match, which can at nair instead, run and hold shield for the obvious fair from marth (don't have to sometimes) in which he will be stun in the air and falco can nair him again. marth should never use his second jump in this situation because a good falco can space himself for a double laser up smash or tilt.

falco can still hurt marth in the start of the game with the dash attack up smash. it's one of falcos little "combos" where he can dash upsmash>u tilt>u tilt>nair>nair>double laser>nair/up smash/grab/dair/maybe something else to and it works pretty well on marth and anyone else and to mention it can also start with the d throw. Falco can stop marth's ground game in its track with the AAA combo but don't always hav to shine. And to mention my favorite kill action for marth, since he is sorta like a floaty in the air and he is falling down slow falco can f smash because it beats his fair and any of his air moves (unless he counters).

now marth can gimp him but not as easily horizontaly since there have been times the phantasm has went through the fair or you can't simply time it write. marth can side b to grab which can be good to gimping falco, tech chase, or the famous f smash. even chasing falco off the stage, there still be a chance that falco will make it before you. marth's f smash ***** falco wen the poor bird is either trying to get on the ground or on a platform (vise versa with falco's nair). marths up moves beats falcos dair (marth is most vunurable when falco is under him). only marths throws can really get falco verticaly off stage fair sends them horizontal and slightly upwards same with his nair but a bit more up. D tilt and shield breaker great with marth vs falcos, use it to shield pressure along with fairs, and don't use fairs constantly.

there I'm done =)
i hope i am resonable.
Well this post was full of fail.

That's my input on this match up.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
what ever makes you happy
and you don't nothing about this match up and fail on understand falcos priority, which is his lasers.
you can talk about all day about my falco, i along with others know how good my falco is while you are making blind judgement. i state solid reasons why you are making poor judgement. In melee marth beat falco even if it wasn't without having to chain grab and this is brawl, which things are different even for us dedicated falco players (new or old) in which we our best to change the way we play with him and think things carefully with a good reason. random guess gets you nowhere.

edit: talking about that random diddy guy.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
so Emblem Lord so what do you think about my opinion on the match. I did my best to see the match on both sides that way me reasons are just and be like that eaccajes hubus guy who don't know ****.

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol @ beetle juice, i really don't agree with many of your points

Personally this matchup is really 50/50 - as a Falco mainer and Marth secondary (yeah sorry about not posting in your forum, EL - there's just nothing to talk about there seeing as I don't actually own Brawl), here's my input...

So, looking at Marth, we've got a character who's got a fantastic 4-frame move that can be used for offense, defense and decay reduction. We've got a counter move that comes out quick and can change momentum/deflect pressure. We have an Up-B with like 12 invinicibility frames (which is ridiculous) and has high knockback. We have a grab release combo that's guaranteed on pretty much all of the cast (gr -> dsmash but if you choose to pummel->gr then you do usmash, which is riskier). We have three dependable aerials with one that is situational but powerful (dair). We have a grab combo on ff'ers that goes like fthrow -> fthrow -> dair at the edge or any of RoyR's variations (he hasn't told us any of them -_-). And we have a sword that kills at really low percentages at the tip, and undecayed has about equal kill potential without it. Oh yeah, we also have some really really really nice tilts (UTilt, DTilt...Ftilt is okay I guess) and a jab that has some setups.

Wow. That's a lot of advantages on Marth's side. Looking at Falco, we have a very spammable projectile (laser) which can be used for offense/defense (largely pressure for both)/decay reduction/lock. We have a move that allows Falco's to travel around the stage and recover with great mobility (phantasm or shortened). We have a ridiculous priority move (Shine) that also reflects and causes tripping within a certain hitbox range. We have two fantastic tilts (UTilt and FTilt) and a great jab, and three good smashes along with a gatling combo. We have a chaingrab or pseudo chaingrab on pretty much the whole cast and another decent throw (fthrow). We have a spike that can be used on and offstage, a neutral aerial that is a fantastic setup, a situational aerial (fair) and an up air that is a reliable kill move (vertically speaking).

That's a lot of advantages for Falco too. But what are their disadvantages? (Part two comes later today editted into this post, I have hw and marching band...I'll list disadvantages + the actual matchup later)

zamz

Smash Journeyman
escajehubus said:
What?

1) Falco WILL spam lasers. Lasers are not a scrubby tactic, they’re law.
2) Falco doesn't use lasers to build damage.
3) Falco uses his laser to:
-limit his opponent's movement
-Spacing
-Forcing his opponent to approach.
-Mind games
-Setting up a 'combo'
4) Falco's reflector is greater than (or equal to, I can never remember...either way, the distance that Marth must reach to be 'within range' of Falco leaves him valnuerable to Shine) Marth's Tipper in terms of range.
5) Falco is never required to approach Marth. As a consequence, Marth must play aggressively.
-Brawl caters to defensive play...the defending player has more options available and can punish approaches.
-Escajehubus, you say a good Falco can't get close to a good Marth? He wouldn't need to. Marth is required to get close to Falco. Not vice versa.
-Marth might outrange Falco in most areas, but Marth still has a problem approaching Falco. Marth won't be able to effectively SH F-Air (because of lasers) and his Dash attack is shield-grabbable.
-Marth requires getting near Falco, stopping within a properly spaced distance and spamming a variety of moves trying to force Falco to make the first move.
*This works, but Falco's reflector and his laser still out range Marth. Phantasm can hit the unsuspecting Marth and Falco's AAA combo pings with most of Marth's attacks. Even though Falco lacks range, he can still fight and compete. Should Marth mess up even a smidgen on his spacing, the advantage goes to Falco. Falco has a very good roll/spot dodge. And they both build into a quick, lagless D-Smash or U-Smash.
*This match-up isn't anywhere near as "cut and dry" as you made it seem.

I believe this matchup is…relatively even. Mainly because I believe the better player will win, regardless of the character they use. Marth and Falco are a two-man rock paper scissors game, where each have their strengths and weaknesses against each other. Marth has a slight advantage in more areas, but Falco has one or two blatantly significant advantages.

If you lessen the significance of Falco's laser, and lessen the significance of offensive/defensive play (where Falco can be aggressive and defensive, but Marth can only be aggressive) and you put emphasis on range, then Marth has the advantage.

You can tilt either character into sounding like he has the advantage here. Which leaves me to believe it's probably as even as a match-up is going to get. The better player will win and he won't be limited by the capabilities of his character. He’ll only be limited by his knowledge of the game and his skill. Both characters have a viable strategy against each other, and there is by no means a broken factor which makes the fight ‘easier’ for one side.

----------------

Lasers work badly since Marth can attack pretty much instantly after being hit with, for instant, Fair, which makes lasers ineffective for approach.
What? Rimmer...Lasers work against Marth identical to the way they work against other opponents. Now, if you're using it to build damage on Marth, you'll doing it wrong. A smart Falco will use lasors to limit positioning and force Marth into an unfamiliar footing. This means a good Falco will not spam SHDL like an idiot. He'll throw in single lasors, empty short hops and back jumps galore. He'll NEVER ground laser. L

Mind games. Falco would never use lasers to 'hold Marth back.' The goal isn't to camp. The goal is to get an advantage and build into a combo. This isn't wolf.

Spacing with reflector is risky due to the lag being easily punishable with Marth's range.
That's like saying: "Marth's F-Smash is risky. It's quick, but if you miss, he succumbs to lag and becomes punishable." Obviously. Every move in this game is punishable, with some more punishable than others. Falco's reflector shouldn't be spammed and it should never be used carelessly. But if Marth is within hitting distance of you, you're within hitting distance of him and should take advantage of it. If he's spamming D-tilt, or he's Side-Bing or he's charging B or he's AAAing, or even charging a smash, these can all be stopped with the use of the reflector. The reflector isn't meant to be used when Marth is standing still. He'll shield it. But if Marth is under any sort of delay, he'll be hit every time.

A favorite of Marths involve D-tilt spamming or F-Air spamming. The former requires your reflector. The latter requires your lasor.

The window of opportunity to punish Marth's attacks is tiny at best
Falco's spot-dodge is rather beautiful, and his rolls are faster than most. And his B-Air is solid. And his dash attack is great at punishing techrolls. The 'window' of opprotunity isn't small here by any means.

Considering Falco is on defense, he merely needs to wait for Marth to attack and punish. Hits are traded. Short hops are exchanged and bottom line, spacing is never 100%. Falco will get closer to Marth, and Marth will get closer to Falco. The second that small sliver of: "Falcos Range < Marth's" is crossed (it's a rather small line), they're 100% on equal ground. They both have quick moves. Falco's short hopped B-Air hits Marth well. Falco's F-tilt is quick. Falco's D-smash can be built into almost anything. Falco's U-Smash can slide and hit at an unexpected position.

Range only matters if spacing is proper. This actually becomes a hinderance to a Marth who must maintain equal spacing to keep his advantage. Falco just has to move a tad bit closer and range becomes less significant.

The best strategy I've been able to use is shielding and grabbing/punishing
I'll point out we're talking about high level play...

And then of course there's the fact that Marth can gimp Falco with no trouble at all.
Believe it or not, but Falco's harder to gimp than you think. If he's predictable, sure, anyone can gimp Falco. A good Falco knows how to Phantasm safely and although Marth can certainly gimp Falco, Falco can gimp Marth. The only way Marth can gimp Falco involves Marth placing himself under risk. Typically, he jumps off the ledge with an F-Air trying to catch the Phantasm. If Marth is is even a milisecond off, Phantasm spike gives Falco a free stock. And considering Falco can phantasm instantly, can phantasm to the ledge or can wait in the air, DI forwards/backwards and then phantasm when it's safe, Marth has a lot of ground to cover. It's harder to gimp Falco than it looks. It's probable, but it's certainly not frequently.

Oh yeah, Marth is also the reason I incorporated grounded lasers into my game, since he can rush under short hopped ones unless you do them perfectly.
Falco should never ground laser...A good marth will punish it. Any opponent will punish it. A better, more viable option, is to back-jump single lasor. There's no way Marth can punish it, assuming Falco has enough room behind him.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Finally, some discussion which isn't about bread!

I personally think it's even, here's why:

-Falco can't chaingrab marth very much at all, because of marth's upb
-Marth's air game is better than falco's, especially with his long range, high priority sword.
-Falco forces marth to approach with his lasers, and marth can be punished if a mistake is made
-If well spaced, falco's ground game will prove to be better because of lasers, phantasms and jabs.

Esca

Smash Champion
what ever makes you happy
and you don't nothing about this match up and fail on understand falcos priority, which is his lasers.
you can talk about all day about my falco, i along with others know how good my falco is while you are making blind judgement. i state solid reasons why you are making poor judgement. In melee marth beat falco even if it wasn't without having to chain grab and this is brawl, which things are different even for us dedicated falco players (new or old) in which we our best to change the way we play with him and think things carefully with a good reason. random guess gets you nowhere.

edit: talking about that random diddy guy.

Yeah, so now Marth beats Falco without having to chaingrab.

Emblem Lord, you want some reason behind why Marth is better than Falco, go look at RoyR vs. Sethlon. RoyR is probably the best Marth in the U.S. And Sethlon has a great Falco. They're both at an expert level, go watch one of their matches.

I played with Falco in melee, he was okay. In Brawl he's a joke. I play Falco's all the time, you know how i counter-pick with? MARTH! Know why? BECAUSE HE'S BETTER!

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so now Marth beats Falco without having to chaingrab.

Emblem Lord, you want some reason behind why Marth is better than Falco, go look at RoyR vs. Sethlon. RoyR is probably the best Marth in the U.S. And Sethlon has a great Falco. They're both at an expert level, go watch one of their matches.

I played with Falco in melee, he was okay. In Brawl he's a joke. I play Falco's all the time, you know how i counter-pick with? MARTH! Know why? BECAUSE HE'S BETTER!
Better as a character or better in your skill with him rather than other people's skill with Falco? What if you have been playing some weak Falcos lately?

Esca

Smash Champion
Sethlon is no weak Falco.

Marth is a better all-around character. Because when you win, you can say you did it WITHOUT chain-grabbing or spamming a projectile.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
No matter how you put it, Marth has the advantage.

Marth outranges Falco on the ground in close combat, his smashes and some tilts are undeniably better, don't even get me started on recovery (Though both characters are pretty shabby in that respect), he is faster, he doesn't die as early as Falco percentage-wise, and Falco clearly isn't as strong a finisher as Marth.

Falco has his lasers which can be avoided or shielded by a jumping/dashing Marth. He has his chaingrab which isn't reliable at all since Marth can dolphin slash at low percents.

Even though Falco has all these disadvantages, I find the match-up to be surprisingly close. Possibly even 40-60.

When playing a skilled Marth, the Falco's laser game must be phenomenal.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
escajehubus: Try not to make fun of the Falco boards or Falco himself plz.

Also people remember that we are comparing raw data and evidence. So really think about what you are saying. Falco and Marth aren't equal in terms of close combat by any means. Although Falco is generally 1 or 2 frames faster on his moves, range goes to Marth and specifically Dancing Blade gives Marth an edge at close range due to it's combination of speed and range. Yes Falco has a CG, but again range is a factor and Falco isn't a fast runner by any means. He has to take a risk to run in and grab or try to capitalize on a mistake, but not many mistakes are made at a high level. More often then not a player is merely outplayed at this level.

What Falco DOES have is lasers and some very good evasive options like his roll and spot dodge. Also for the record, you really can't compare Falco's shine to Marth's F-smash. Falco's shine has high risk, but low reward. Marth's f-smash is the opposite. Higher risk, but a tipper yields very high reward. See even if Falco's shine hits, if his opponent doesn't trip they can close in on him and attack him if they are fast enough. At the very least they could get in his face and begin zoning him.

Just some stuff to keep in mind.

Continue with the debate.

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
Marth has the advantage in this match. He has range in close combat and he has the weaving and aerial maneuverability in the air to easily get pass Falco's lasers. Marth has many ways to get pass falco's lasers. He can SH airdodge his way to falco or even double jump easily covering the distance between him and falco. Also, falco's lasers can be mullified with marth's sword. So that renders them useless. Marth can approach with a fair, take a couple of hits but close the gap AND be offensive.Sure falco has the reflector but this is only one thing falco has in terms of range. What happens when marth in in range for a tipper? Trust me, ALOT of falco's don't incorporate reflectors into their gameplay. Otherwise opponents would be eating it whenever they got upclose. Instead we spot dodge and d smash but what's the point against a marth when his sword puts him out of range for a dsmash? Falco cannot chain spike Marth because of Marth's dolphin slash. Marth on the other hand can 0 death falco with a f throw dair off the ledge. Falco's firebird is far more gimpable than Marth's dolphin slash. Let's not forget Marth's dancing blade which can really put the pressure on your sheild. try spot dodging that. Falco has the advantage in the air without a doubt. An utilt to nair will destory a marth. A weak uair will keep him up there where is has no choice but to DI away. Other than that. Marth has more advantages. Falco can destroy marth in the air. off stage and on the ground marth will dominate with SHFF Nair and SHFF fair. If marth wants to be defensive or annoying, he can use his dtilt and B (sure its slow but i've seen pro marth's use it and it has the most range of his attacks on par with falco's reflector). not sure, but can someone check if dair and fair can gimp falco's phantasm. If so, a marth simply has to stay in a good enoguh distance to react to a falco's short hopped immediate phantasm. In my opinion marth has the advantage. 40:60

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure about this,but I thinkMarths fmash(non tip) kills Falco earlier that Falcos fsmash kills Marth.
Again,im not sure about this.Maybe someone can test this for me...
Anyhow,I think Marth has the advantage:
The laser is not very effective vs Marth because of his speed and range.Speaking about range,if the Marth spaces properly,Falco cant even think about the chaingrab.
Spiking Marth is algo very hard because of Marths upb.And finally:Dancing blade.It kills a lot of Falcos option.
Well I think is a 60:40 advantage for Marth.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Speaking from reaching the ground, marth has the hardest time landing because he is sort of a floaty. When falco is under marth, marth is most likely in trouble because his dair is difficult to tipper and the landing lag can be punished. Even if marth gets the chance to hit falco he would most likely send him away from marth like i said before which is something the marth doesn't want to do. Marth players always wants to stay in a close combat against falco to avoid lasers, so they won't space in the air as much in the ground, where even we notice if a marth walks away a f smash of DS is gonna come up.

Keeping marth in the air by around a SH range is more what falco is about. Any higher will put us as risk and can punish us and also our intentions will be to predictable. Despite marths range, if marth is at a short hop distance, lasers can punish him as long as we first approach from his fair reach, both lasers can hit him in order for a attack, even if he air dodge we would be close enough or under him to attack and punish his dodge since we reach the floor before marth does.

Edit: i still think falco has the advantage and approaching falco is diffucult second jumps put marth into a tougher position and falco can spae with his phantasm.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You brought up kill percents. I did the kill percents for Marth and Falco's smashes against one another already.

I did this awhile back when I was in a debate with a Falco main about a month ago about this match-up.

Here is the copy/paste.

Also just for the record let's get some kill percents for Marth's and Falco's Smashes on each other.

This is tested at the center of FD, with CPU's set to 9.

Falco's D-smash will kill Marth at 155%.
Falco's U-smash will kill Marth at 118%.
Falco's sweetspotted F-smash will kill Marth at 108%
Falco's unsweetspotted F-smash will kill Marth at 196%.

Let's compare damage while we are at shall we?

Falco's D-smash = 15%
Falco's U-smash = 14%
Falco's sweetspotted F-smash = 15%
Falco's unsweetspotted F-smash = 10%

Now for Marth.

F-smash kills Falco at 126% (Wow, Falco is really light)
D-smash kills Falco at 118%
U-smash kills Falco at about 114%

Tippered F-smash kills Falco at 70%
Tippered D-smash kills Falco at 99%
Tippered U-smash kills Falco at 114% (Knockback is the same, only damage increases)

F-smash = 14% and 19%
D-smash = 14% and 17%
U-smash = 18% and 21%

So this right here gives you a good idea as to how long Marth and Falco will be living vs one another.

Falco would be lucky to hit 140%

Marth could definitely hit 160% though since Falco's smashes have less range then his and he can outspace him.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
^Yeah I was talking about that.Falco is really light.Hes is going to have a hard time killing a Marth that knows what he is doing.

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
RoyR does. go look.
I assume you mean this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_Tsn4TZ84.

How could you possibly think that Marth is so much better than Falco judging by this match? First off, you can't judge a match-up from two players, and 3 games they play. You simply cannot. You need many match-ups, many players, examine them closely, see why X character lost, and whether or not it was the player's fault or the character's fault.

Again, even if you were to judge an entire match-up from this match, i don't see how could really say that Marth was better. In Game 1, until 2:15, they were even. Sethlon was even a few % ahead for the entire game. Then, when RoyR knocked him off, he forgot to use his double jump, and instead, used his Up B way out of range, gimping himself at 22%.

This is a very good example of the player's fault, and not the characters. Sure, Marth was able to edge hog quite easily, but even a Ganondorf or a Captain Falcon would be able to do that.

After knocking off RoyR's 2nd stock while at 64%, Sethlon takes advantage of Marth's ability to Up B out of a CG by doing it, staying back, then punishing him with another grab to a spike. Just proves that just because Marth can Up B out of a CG, doesn't mean he gets the upper hand in the entire match. Unfortunately, Sethlon got a bit too hasty in trying to get the early gimp, and ended up getting stage spiked by RoyR. A nice play indeed.

Because Sethlon made such a vital error in not double jumping at a very low percent, we really cannot judge that match in Marth's favor. Sure, the Marth player won, but in my opinion, they were both very even.

Game 2: Again, pretty even until about 3:40 where Sethlon shows that Falco can edgeguard Marth just as well as Marth can edgeguard falco. Next it's pretty even until something weird happens to RoyR at 4:25. I'm not sure what it was, but it seemed as if he rolled back onto the stage, but instead, went through it. This was not Marth's fault, and does not make Marth worse than Falco, it was the players fault, or some sort of glitch. After this, again it's pretty even, (minus the fact that Sethlon has an extra stock), until Sethlon lands the kill move before RoyR can. The Falco did win, but just like the first match, had the Marth player not gimped himself or fell through the map, it could have been a completely different ending. The Falco vs. Marth matchup cannot be decided based on this match either, because these events can happen to any character at any time, and it doesn't decide which character is better.

In my opinion, this match, much like the first one, was very even, and would have been very close had RoyR not fallen off.

Game 3: From the beginning to 6:48, it's all very even. Grabs and then follow ups, until Marth edge guards Falco well enough that his poor vertical recovery cannot save him, and then Sethlon returns the favor to Marth by edgeguarding and hogging so that he cannot recover. Sethlon does have 44% more, but overall, it was pretty even. RoyR then does a great job of punishing Sethlon's Phantasm with his dancing blade. He then procedes to rack up more damage, as does Sethlon, and then RoyR gets the kill move off first. A few more things happen, Sethlon gets knocked off the stage, and gets edgehogged for the win. A common result of many games and matches.

There is no doubt that RoyR played better than Sethlon in this match, but it doesn't mean that Marth will always beat Falco. The match-up is really quite even.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Beetle Juice: I'm sorry to say this, but pretty much everything you are saying indicates that you really lack understanding of this match at a high level. Saying things like Marth is vulnerable when he dairs or how Falco will try to keep Marth at bay with lasers when he is in SH distance doesn't make sense at all really.

A Marth won't dair in the air unless he is edgeguarding. Any Marth worth his salt knows that move has horrendous land lag. They won't take that risk. And if Marth is in within SH distance of Falco then the last thing Falco should do is SH laser, unless it's a SH back laser. Marth has too many options in this scenario to deal with lasers. If Falco SHed for a laser Marth could just dash in and grab or attack. If he is closer he could just f-smash him.

SHing when Marth is close enough to close in means Falco limits himself.

There were other things you stated that made me question your knowledge of this match.

For now might I suggest that you refrain from posting a bit, because it seems like you really don't know the match that well. Instead try reading some of the other things some people have said or maybe watching some vids of Roy.R vs Sethlon to increase your awareness of the match.

Also, it seems like the Marth boards are in all in agreement. 6/4 Marth's advantage. But the Falco boards seem to disagree. Some say it's Falco's advantage, some say it's Marth's, and others say it's even.

I think all of you should continue posting and talking about the match-up so you can come to an agreement as a community before you get back to debating us. Unless of course you all end up agreeing that it's Marth's advantage in which case there would be no debate.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Beetle Juice: I'm sorry to say this, but pretty much everything you are saying indicates that you really lack understanding of this match at a high level. Saying things like Marth is vulnerable when he dairs or how Falco will try to keep Marth at bay with lasers when he is in SH distance doesn't make sense at all really.

A Marth won't dair in the air unless he is edgeguarding. Any Marth worth his salt knows that move has horrendous land lag. They won't take that risk. And if Marth is in within SH distance of Falco then the last thing Falco should do is SH laser, unless it's a SH back laser. Marth has too many options in this scenario to deal with lasers. If Falco SHed for a laser Marth could just dash in and grab or attack. If he is closer he could just f-smash him.

SHing when Marth is close enough to close in means Falco limits himself.

There were other things you stated that made me question your knowledge of this match.

For now might I suggest that you refrain from posting a bit, because it seems like you really don't know the match that well. Instead try reading some of the other things some people have said or maybe watching some vids of Roy.R vs Sethlon to increase your awareness of the match.

Also, it seems like the Marth boards are in all in agreement. 6/4 Marth's advantage. But the Falco boards seem to disagree. Some say it's Falco's advantage, some say it's Marth's, and others say it's even.

I think all of you should continue posting and talking about the match-up so you can come to an agreement as a community before you get back to debating us. Unless of course you all end up agreeing that it's Marth's advantage in which case there would be no debate.
you misunderstood me emblem lord. when i mentioned the dair i know marth would never do it near the ground so falco can u tilt, nair, and up smash under marth. Again i know this match very well and i have played a lot of good players, including marth, which i beat with my falco. i know marth's metagame well and i know what he is capable of. i haven't been in tournament lately because i'm pretty tight with money and i have placed high in my last tournaments. and when i was speaking about short hop distance i am talking about when marth is falling trying to reach the ground. a spaced f smash beats fair btw, which is falcos few kill options which isn't as many as marth. And if you don't think falco has what it takes or proof on what I'm speaking of, maybe you should come by the Web2Zone bi-weeklies and we can have a match around september and see if i can show you what i mean.

EDIT: a little friendly request not a threat, but as proof.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm just going by your post. Us playing is meaningless to this debate.

Let's say I crush you.

Then what?

Would you say it's Marth's advantage 90/10?

That would be silly of course.

You said things like this...

falco can still hurt marth in the start of the game with the dashattack up smash. it's one of falcos little "combos" where he can dashupsmash>u tilt>u tilt>nair>nair>double laser>nair/upsmash/grab/dair/maybe something else to and it works pretty well onmarth and anyone else and to mention it can also start with the d throw
Someone who says something like this I really can't take seriously in a debate.

That is not a combo.

Marth would DI away after the U-smash and Falco has too much recovery time.

Do you really know the match-up?

And what Marth's are you beating?

D1 and NL's have decent Marth's but even they don't know him like I do.

I can't think of anyone in NYC who is on their level with Marth.

And yes Falco's spaced F-smash beats fair. Why exactly Marth would try to SH towards Falco at that kind of distance where he knows Falco could do that is beyond my comprehension. Also if the F-smash is spaced Falco wouldn't sweetspot it so what would be the point? He would do poor damage with less knockback. It would be better to just phantasm and reset his spacing or SH back and laser if he has the room. Why do poor damage and knockback when you can do something that allows you to keep control of the match? Plus the f-smash is slow to come out. So that decreases the likelihood that it would hit. It's nice that he has that up his sleeve, but as I said I think he has better options.

This is what it means to understand the game on a high level.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
well thats actualy works lol thats why i quote "combo" and i was talkin about like at 0% so then why won't accept my offer. whether i win or not its not gonna be easy and since you say so then show me how a "level" marth is since you may think i have a premature falco with no skills at all.

oo yea i did that "combo on a DDD but added a little more since he's heavier which he ended up 50+ damage and didn't escape it but i know if he could of.

whether you take me seriously or not does not make a difference since there will changes in the near future, these right now are only assumptions, not exact.

EDIT: you can TRY to crush me, i know bum can because he's too godly =)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's not a combo. A combo is a series of attacks that cannot be escaped or blocked once the first hit connects.

Do you...not know what a combo is?

Serious question.

Also I'm not saying you have no skill. I'm saying that you are posting incorrect information which indicates you lack high level awareness of this particular match-up and most likely this game in general.

Anyway, I don't even think there will be more weeklies from what I heard from some people.

For those that want to understand the Marth boards reasoning in this match-up here is our weekly match-up thread where we discussed Falco. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183545

And here is the post I made regarding the match-up.
Marth's advantages

- Heavier
- More range overall
- Greater knockback
- Slightly harder to gimp
- Has good damaging combos at low percents
- Has a death combo at low percents as well
- Faster running speed and greater mobility overall

Falco's advantages

- Camping tactics with lasers and shine
- Evasive tactics with Phantasm
- Possible CG (Can be escaped with up b)
- Possible Death combo ( Again, it can be escaped with up b)
- Good damaging combo at lower percents off of grab. ( Dash attack cancelled u-smash)
- Good Roll
- Good spot-dodge

Marth pretty much wins in all areas, except Falco has the ability to camp him. They both have grab combos on each other as well. Overall though Marth has better damage output and a better gimp game and he will generally outlive Falco.

Since Falco has lasers Marth has to approach. When Falco jumps for a SH laser dash in. You will go under the high laser and then Falco can still shoot another which most will do. If the second laser is too high you can keep closing in. Dash to shield will keep you safe from the second laser. If you block a laser you can go for a grab if you are close enough which can beat anything he tries other then rolling away. One strategy is to space yourself just outside the range of the shine. When Falco jumps for a SHL Marth can dash in and punish Falco before he can do anything after he shoots that first laser. And since the strat involves you just being outside shine range, if he DOES try to shine he will miss and he will then be at your mercy.

Speaking of shine, it's very annoying ,but not deadly or even threatening. It does a bit of damage and there is a chance it can trip, but Falco can't take advantage of it. If it's blocked Falco is screwed and you can easily get a tipper smash. Also if Falco does the shine at close range and it doesn't trip then he is at frame disadvantage so you can still punish him. Because of these reasons, good Falcos may not use shine that often, which is fine for you since the shine inhibits your approach and can be annoying. FYI you can't SH over the shine so don't try.

As far as CGing goes, it's been said before you can up b out of them. Try to wait till you see Falco run a bit for the re-grab before you up b since Falco's will try to wait that out then punish. Falco can do D-throw Dair on Marth near the ledge as a death combo. Situational yes, but it does exist. I don't think you can up b before the Dair, but you can meteor cancel it of course so if you are fast then you shouldn't die. Falco can also D-throw to DAC. That's not escapable as far as I know. Just try not to get grabbed which isn't even that hard since you outrange him.

Marth has very similar grab combos on Falco. F-throw to F-throw to Dancing Blade will do good damage. So will F-throw to F-smash. Marth can also F-throw to F-throw to Dair on Falco and there is no way Falco can survive it since his up b is terrible. Sethlon has said that Falco can't DI out of , but D1 has said it's possible. I will say that at 0%, F-throw to Dair definitely isn't escapable, but two F-throws to Dair might be.

Falco has a really good roll so when he is pressured expect him to try to get away from you. Falco is mostly going to be playing an evasive game and try to frustrate you into making stupid mistakes. Don't be fooled. Keep your calm. He has the laser, yes that is true, but Marth is the one who is in control of this fight. Marth has better options then Falco overall. Falco will also try to use his phantasm to get away. Again, keep your cool. When you see him wind up for it be ready to shield it, roll back, or f-smash him. If you shield it then close the distance quickly to reset your spacing. If you rolled back you can probably punish him.

As far as gimping him goes it's all about conditioning. You have to get him into the habit of doing something so you can take advantage of it. If he has a habit of going for the stage with Phantasm then you need to punish him repeatedly for it. Once he starts going for the ledge due to being punished you can edgehug him on recovery for easy gimps. Then he will most likely stop going for the ledge and the process repeats itself.

An easy way to punish phantasm on recovery is to just shield about three or four character lengths away from the ledge. When he goes through you release your shield and punish. It's a very safe way to punish Falco without taking any real risk.

All in all after doing alot research on the match and playing the match from both sides Marth definitely has the advantage.

The question is how much of an advantage?

60/40 sounds right, but it could even be 65/35.

Also Falco may try to approach with Nairs when you are close but you can up b him after you block since he can't outspace your range with that move.

Falco may also try SH single lasers and omit the first high laser but the dash in strategy still applies.

Overall Falco rally has no reliable close range options on Marth. Anything he tries is either outspaced or unsafe. And if he goes for a grab he takes the risk of being hit since once again Marth has the range advantage. Basically if Falco gets a hit off with a move it's because Marth screwed up his spacing or Falco just read him correctly. If Marth plays smart it's heard for Falco to get in good damage and even harder to get kills. Falco also has standing lasers but Marth can eat those while walking forward and when Falco puts his gun away Marth can close in or punish if he is close enough.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
sigh, ofcourse it i know what a combo is and it is possible to connect the dash attack cancel with up tilts, if not try it out yourself since you know the basics with falco.

again imma give you the thing to do again which you can't take me serious and do it in a match or training or whatever you feel like:

0%: dash attack, upsmash, u tilt, u tilt, nair, then whatever you feel like and tell me later if it connects or not.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
haha beetle juice

you cant win an argument against his guy trust me is
he the M2k of words
also rofl at marth mains in the falco thread its too good

i might have to lay a nest in here :colorful:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You don't seem to understand.

After the U-smash you can DI away from Falco. He gets no guaranteed hits after it, therefore it's not a combo.

I think that I'm done talking to you about this match-up.

Someone who doesn't understand what a combo is, is in no position to debate something that affects two communities.

I won't humor you any longer by listening to you.

Top Bottom