• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Ice Climbers Help

Tags

Smash Cadet
I tried to find a post of the Ice Climbers match up but I can't find anything recent. Can anyone help me with this match up? What should I generally be doing in neutral? What stages are good? How should I approach or defend or deal with projectiles? Etc etc. I'm so tired of losing to ICs =/

LL87

Smash Rookie
Basically, dtilt obliterates ics. Mix it up with some fairs. I think all stages are ok for this mu, but you should maybe consider getting rid of fod, because the platforms can mess up your neutral game.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
FD is actually the worst stage. No platforms mean no platform camping which is one of icies weaknesses.

lokt

Smash Cadet
I play ic's as a secondary so here's my view on the mu from both sides:

For marth the stages from best to worst are yoshis>battlefield>fountain>dreamland>fd>stadium
To keep it concise:
  • platforms are really safe
  • late fair and dtilt to keep ic's out and apply pressure
  • if you are aggressive and use platforms projectiles aren't a problem
  • mu is more zoning based than dash dance based because ic's wavedash is long
  • don't make it a habit of dashing back after hitting a fair on shield. ic's love to wd oos -->jab-->grab
  • ic's have a hard time edgeguarding marf; just sweetspot the edge and mix up early up-b's to combat edgehog
  • fair--> fsmash nana
  • if you get caught in a blizzard mash jump and sdi up which works most of the time
  • late fair to dash behind is a cool mixup
  • late fair/nair -->buffer roll is also good
  • if you hit a late fair on the back of their shield you can utilt to hit the wavedash out
  • easy juggles when ic's are on a platform or in the air
  • side-b-->utilt

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Be very careful about fighting Sopo. Even though you don't have to worry about the grab, wavedash down smash can still wreck you, especially if it catches you trying to down tilt. Just play smart and safe, and give him the same respect you'd give both climbers.

Also, when you separate the climbers, keep an eye on Popo. He will try to come after you while you're killing Nana, and sometimes you'll want to stop your pursuit to knock Popo away before you finish the kill on Nana.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
D-tilt & up throws. IC are TERRIBLE in the air and D-tilt shut's down their ground game. Just zone them into a corner with D-tilt. Then punish any reactions. Don't swing unless ur sure u wont get punished. IC is looking for a way to get in and they only get it when YOU mess up. Always be very deliberate with every move.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Is Dsmash a useful move for splitting the two ic's? I think so, but you know, who has any IC's to practice against?
No. Down smash is super situational and i only use it after a down tilt if i'm 110% sure it'll hit. The goal of marth isn't to split them up but to wall them out with good spacing (tho splinting them up is always nice) and once they're in a corner wait for a reaction. Down smash is just to big of a commitment. If you hit it you get some percent and maybe a combo set up, BUT if you miss your going to get wobbled on and lose a stock guaranteed.

Yokubou

Smash Rookie
lokt's post is pretty good, but I'll add my own comments anyway.

Separate them with fair or f-smash (make sure it hits), Ken combo the Nana and you should be golden. Dtilt at low percent to get some percent on them so you can separate them more easily. Well-spaced and well-timed fairs are the staple here - just don't jump into a shieldgrab.

Top Bottom