• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager amiibo discontinued - deconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lustersold

Smash Rookie
I hope this is true sorry. I have all 3 and wouldn't mind some cash money lol

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
With this information, I have acted and managed to reserve a Marth Amiibo at the store I work in. Forgive me for putting him straight on eBay or keeping him for the sake of collection, I haven't really decided yet.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
A week later...
Nintendo discontinues everything they own, sells themselves to EA

Next week...
EA lays off all Nintendo employees

After that...
Sony and Microsoft discontinue their consoles and shut down their companies

The following week...
EA only major game company left. Currently making a game that will rob everyone of their money.

What happened next...
EA shuts down. Only bootleg game devs are left.

The week after...
Bootleg companies are bankrupt. All gaming sites close down, as there is no video game news left.

Two months later...
NinsegonysoftEAyongcapvio Dog is formed. Super Smash Bros. 5 is confirmed to have all-stars like Tails, Master Chief, Sack Boy, and Peashooter.
And there will still be no new Marth, WFT, or Villager amiibos. :troll:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Nintendo, do you even want people to support the wii U? You're not trying hard enough. Furthermore, why the hell did you have new CG commercials made for OLD 3DS GAMES!? MAKE SOME WII U COMMERCIALS, SERIOUSLY
I have seen a commercial for Smash Wii U on Comedy Central before back at Thanksgiving, but that was it. I wouldn't be too surprised that discontinuing some of their Amiibos is another one of Nintendo's stunts to not promote the Wii U all that much while giving it a bad name. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow.... It's a good thing I've got both the Villager and Marth Amiibo's then. Not sure if I'm too interested in the Wii Fit Trainer one though.....

TheVoc

Smash Rookie
This is terrible. I was looking forward to collecting all the amiibo, and was specifically eager to get WFT. Hopefully eventually they'll re-release them down the line but at this point (especially with so many people buying them for Xmas) it's doubtful.

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
Why wouldn't these just come out again in a few months? I don't see any reason why Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager would be gone forever; they'll probably just come back into rotation later. I think people are being a little reactionary here.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
This is probably also part in due for the fact retailers have no space for the Amiibo's meanwhile Skylander's takes an entire gondola shelf. It's annoying, but Skylanders are more popular than even Mario, Pikachu and Link somehow. Until retailers can make space (Which they can't because they have limited space to begin with) we won't be seeing niche Amiibo characters. By the time all Amiibo's get released of all 51 characters, where the f*** is any retailer going to have space for 2-3 rows of 51 characters? No one is that's who.
LUCKILY! Amiibo's are not region locked, so start importing lads.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I live in the UK, and prices have skyrocketed. On Amazon, Villager has gone up to around £24.99 last time I checked, and GAME has them at £14.99.

I have two Marth's, who was the one I immediately went for when they released, and I tried to get my hands on a Villager, Samus, Peach, and Pikachu. I could only get Samus and Pikachu. Luckily, Smyth Toy Store has them at £10.99, but they are only available online until December 16th.

Ooeck.

EDIT: Ayup. Just checked Amiibo prices on Amazon again. Villager is the most expensive at £30.70. Marth is around £20.22. Wii Fit Trainer is around £19.88.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Nintendo must not want my money. If this falls through and I can't get simple things like an adapter or certain action figures, I'm going to give my money to Sony.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Lol, those tweeters can die for all I care. They're just spreading more of the rumors. "The GC adapter is also discontinued."

Why the hell would Nintendo discontinue the Amiibos a MONTH after their release?! I don't even think it's been a month. These tweeters are sheep that need to go die or get some actual real news and not spread rumors that are around.

Also, I just checked my gamestore 1 day or two ago. They have WFT and Marth and Villager. Now I don't believe that Nintendo is discontinuing those but Just in-case I'm getting them soon. I don't want it to end up like the adapter.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it was just the announcement that spooked people or if they're actually not being reordered, but I searched all the Gamestop in my area, and none of them had WFT or Villager in stock, and no Target had Villager either (although one had WFT). It's kind of annoying since Villager and Fox were the next two I wanted to get before the December characters came out.

I was originally planning on getting one or two Amiibo every pay period, but it looks like Nintendo's strange strategy of discontinuing them weeks after release might not work with that. I'm just glad I bought a Marth Amiibo last week before they became really hard to find.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I was really under the impression that the discontinuation was due to possible manufacturer issues, something like a recall to make sure the models were up to snuff (since we've seen a variety of defects upon release as it is.) rather than Nintendo discontinuing the line in an attempt to urge more sales. If that was the case, the entire initial line would have been in jeopardy.

In addition, you have to remember that stores stock things based on demand. Link was the most demanded Amiibo, having sold out before the things were released a few months ago. As popular as these three characters are, it could be possible that, universally they weren't in as high demand as the others, and therefore stores cut back their resupply for the sake of making room for more popular products.

I'm still going to get that Marth Amiibo, just in case, and it would be pretty sweet as a collectors item, but I don't think it's worth putting much stock in this sort of thing until Nintendo makes an official statement themselves.

Edit:

Then a wild @ Nekoo Nekoo appeared and shared a thread to let us know it's just a stock issue, at least in regards to the adapters.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think this is just a rumor based around the fact that there's always 100+ Mario amiibos on the shelves while the less popular characters only get a couple.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Take this with a grain of salt folks. Unless we hear any official word from Nintendo about actually discontinuing them, these tweets from VideoGamesPlus are nothing more than clickbait.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I find this bulls**** Nintendo. I was gonna buy a Villager Amiibo, Now you get nothing. I got a friend who is gonna get too a WFT Amiibo too. And you lose that one too.

I gonna pre-order is Olimar Amiibo come out.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Warning Received
Shulk, Meta Knight, and Lucario are retailer exclusive (Gamestop, Best Buy, and Toys r Us (U.S. only, no idea what equivalent for other regions would be)
If they are retailer exclusives, wouldn't those retailers make special space for them, because it is the only place to get them?

Luigi, Zelda, Pit, Toon Link, Bowser, Sonic, and Rosalina are the only ones that I think are definitely in the clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
There Really people who trust it...? That's juste dope bull**** , even the MR.prince leak was mord realistic Than This ...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I was really under the impression that the discontinuation was due to possible manufacturer issues, something like a recall to make sure the models were up to snuff (since we've seen a variety of defects upon release as it is.) rather than Nintendo discontinuing the line in an attempt to urge more sales. If that was the case, the entire initial line would have been in jeopardy.

In addition, you have to remember that stores stock things based on demand. Link was the most demanded Amiibo, having sold out before the things were released a few months ago. As popular as these three characters are, it could be possible that, universally they weren't in as high demand as the others, and therefore stores cut back their resupply for the sake of making room for more popular products.

I'm still going to get that Marth Amiibo, just in case, and it would be pretty sweet as a collectors item, but I don't think it's worth putting much stock in this sort of thing until Nintendo makes an official statement themselves.

Edit:

Then a wild @ Nekoo Nekoo appeared and shared a thread to let us know it's just a stock issue, at least in regards to the adapters.

Thread link please?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Wow. I better save up money for other amiibos in the next waves. Captain Falcon is a must.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Luigi, Zelda, Pit, Toon Link, Bowser, Sonic, and Rosalina are the only ones that I think are definitely in the clear.
Rosalina is actually gonna be rare.

All of the Wave 3 and 4 Amiibos are up for pre-order already on Amazon US - except for Shulk, Meta Knight, Lucario, and Rosalina.

Shulk is GameStop exclusive, Meta Knight is Best Buy exclusive, Lucario is Toys R Us exclusive - so Rosalina is gonna be exclusive to one particular retailer too. People are speculating she will be Target exclusive.

-----

Also, does anybody know how Europe is handling exclusive Amiibos? If for whatever reason I cannot get the Rosalina Amiibo here, a friend of mine in New York is willing to buy one for me and I give him the money back.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Rosalina is actually gonna be rare.

All of the Wave 3 and 4 Amiibos are up for pre-order already on Amazon - except for Shulk, Meta Knight, Lucario, and Rosalina.

Shulk is GameStop exclusive, Meta Knight is Best Buy exclusive, Lucario is Toys R Us exclusive - so Rosalina is gonna be exclusive to one particular retailer too. People are speculating she will be Target exclusive.

-----

Also, does anybody know how Europe is handling exclusive Amiibos? If for whatever reason I cannot get the Rosalina Amiibo here, a friend of mine in New York is willing to buy one for me and I give him the money back.
Amazon.co.uk is doing ALL the amiibos in the UK. No exclusive nonsense this side of the pond.

Edit: Although there is a lot or skyrocketing price BS at the moment, so that's a factor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Freakin' Nintendo...they wonder why their net loss is so damn high, then they pull this ****. It's like they're trying to go out of business.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Amazon.co.uk is doing ALL the amiibos in the UK. No exclusive nonsense this side of the pond.

Edit: Although there is a lot or skyrocketing price BS at the moment, so that's a factor.
I was just looking at Amazon UK just now and the prices are oddly varied.

Rosalina is £13.99.
Link is about £16.
Luigi and Captain Falcon are just above £10.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I was just looking at Amazon UK just now and the prices are oddly varied.

Rosalina is £13.99.
Link is about £16.
Luigi and Captain Falcon are just above £10.
Yeah; Wave 2 was available for pre-order before this occurred so their prices have remained steady.
Wave 3 came in the midst of the boost(nearer the beginning) so I presume that's why their prices are only slightly higher.

Wave 1 is open season due to retailers not being forced to stick to a proper pricing structure. It's bedlam.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
This is a stupid marketing decision.

How are you supposed to make a profit if you take it off the shelves? People are making triple the money you would've made by buying them at the original price early.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
This is a stupid marketing decision.

How are you supposed to make a profit if you take it off the shelves? People are making triple the money you would've made by buying them at the original price early.
What is stupid is the people who trust some random video game store before JUST WAIT and BE PATIENT for an official annonce .

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Maybe they will re-release them with an updated look

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What is stupid is the people who trust some random video game store before JUST WAIT and BE PATIENT for an official annonce .
When people who work in retail say that the store isn't ordering any more of them, then yes, it's reason to worry.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Maybe they will re-release them with an updated look
Like how they looked in the prototype stage? That would be excellent.

Anyways I went to Nintendo World to check what they had.

They didn't have Marth and Villager but had 9 Wii Fit Trainers. Guy I talked to didn't know any information about getting more of them although he also didn't know about any discontinues either.

I should mention that Nintendo World also didn't have any Link or Kirby amiibos either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When people who work in retail say that the store isn't ordering any more of them, then yes, it's reason to worry.
It is a cause for concern, but I don't think it means anything big just yet. It could easily be a case that Nintendo simply has not been in contact with them yet.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Wasn't a shop who say " NO GAMECUB CONTROL K BYE "
And then i have the prove who conter it . Director Of Nintendo France . He say it was just a stock issue . They wasn't ready for the popularity Of the controller , maybe it's the same for the Amiibo . Go see the thread i Make with official sources before blindly trust some Bull**** retail

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wasn't a shop who say " NO GAMECUB CONTROL K BYE "
And then i have the prove who conter it . Director Of Nintendo France . He say it was just a stock issue . They wasn't ready for the popularity Of the controller , maybe it's the same for the Amiibo . Go see the thread i Make with official sources before blindly trust some Bull**** retail
The issue was that it was more than one retai.. And IIRC, it was a different place that claimed the controller issue. I'm just saying to err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom