• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marths Death Grab DI

PsychoNess

Smash Cadet
I was practicing with my friend how to escape the gay death grab from Marth with Refs tactic. I got nothing :( I wonder if im doing it right. I got a Pic of a GC controller with the points on the stick. Can you tell me if im pressing the buttons in the fight direction?

Corner Analog stick and Slightly tilted corner C stick

I held them both when i got grabed. I held away from marth but I always end up in grab range. Am i supposed to keep taping them over and over?

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
that thread turned out to be a joke
LOL.

anyways yea thats pretty much correct. hold the direction down and keep taping the c-stick, i find it better that way. you can just tap both though. It's not an easy tactic, and its quite useless, because if its a knowledgable marth, they can just dsmash right after and it will still hit.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Some believe, some don't. As for me, I'm neutral on this subject. I want to say it's real and at the same time I don't want to say a word of it since the only person who really knows of this would be "Ref". Levitas has asked numerous times for Ref to show that this does in fact work in an actual match. I have done this probably about two to three times in actual matches.

I'm positive I have a replay of me pulling off the EIDI method. Unfortunately the Wii doesn't work, so I can't send the replay to anybody via Brawl.

Levitas

the moon
I've done extensive testing and have no evidence of EIDI existing. moreover, if it did exist, with how popular it was to be brought up, you'd think that someone would have a good replay to circulate as proof.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Redundant question, but what was the explanation for Marth missing the regrab in the original video? The only fabrication I can come up with on my own is that Ness was somehow out of range at a certain frame for the regrab to happen. Just wanna know that, thanks.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Regardless of if it actually exists, you should always try to use it. The further you are from marth the better, so if he screws up in just the slighest way , you have a better chance of getting away. Oppose to falling right in front of him.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Believe or die. This is true.

Just believe.

Joke? I am that.

What I create however is far greater.

But to those sticks in the mud who would like to cross before my tactic, will not succeed those with steady hands that block intersections are swallowed by knowledge.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
If you really must fight marth with a ness, stay by the edges, and don't let him pivot grab you. this way, even if he does grab you, the damage you will recieve will be at the minimum since he can't go all the way across the stage.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
Redundant question, but what was the explanation for Marth missing the regrab in the original video? The only fabrication I can come up with on my own is that Ness was somehow out of range at a certain frame for the regrab to happen. Just wanna know that, thanks.
Either EIDI really exists, or Marth forced a longer regular ground break, instead of a shorter pummel ground break, which I think is needed to keep Ness in range for a regrab.

Levitas

the moon
The long break and short break are both in range. marth has a 6 frame window to get the regrab before ness can do stuff.

I don't know what happened with the video, there are a number of things that could have happened so w/e, including manipulation of the rules of the game (gravity and whatnot).

A replay would prove it, or someone reproducing it in frame time or w/e. Neither of those exist to my knowledge.

I'm sick and tired of repeating this to people who aren't listening, so if someone new asks, I'll answer. If people who've been around question it, it's no longer worth my time. I don't really care, because playing the voice of reason for months isn't really in my nature.

PsychoNess

Smash Cadet
I have actually done this. I cant get it to work all the time though. I would do it 1 time but then idk if im messing up or what. If the Marth tries to grab me I can grab him because its off timed. My friend told me Hold R so i can shield. The Marth grabbed me and released. I slide to far away for him to grab again. He tried to grab missed but I was still lagged from the long grab animations. Since his hand was pushed foward he was in MY range to grab. Since i held R and Pressed A soon as i got released with the C stick and Analog commands I grabbed him and did what ever i wanted to him. If you don't get it ill make it easier. His hand missed and his grab animation frames were long enough for his hand to be near me to grab his hand or completely grabbed him.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Believe or die. This is true.

Just believe.

Joke? I am that.

What I create however is far greater.

But to those sticks in the mud who would like to cross before my tactic, will not succeed those with steady hands that block intersections are swallowed by knowledge.
Can't say I blame you. You made us Ness mains really happy. But lies beget more lies.
In the end, it ended up hurting us more than helping us.

PsychoNess

Smash Cadet
I just really want to know if it was true. When ever I see Marth these days I always see a sign of death. I just cant stand Marth

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
If you really must fight marth with a ness, stay by the edges, and don't let him pivot grab you. this way, even if he does grab you, the damage you will recieve will be at the minimum since he can't go all the way across the stage.
Stay by the edges? Your kidding right?

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's OmegaXF!~ :D It's been a looong time since we've played. The Wii never really works, though. :S OmegaXF, everybody!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I've done extensive testing and have no evidence of EIDI existing. moreover, if it did exist, with how popular it was to be brought up, you'd think that someone would have a good replay to circulate as proof.
Can't remember if I posted in this topic. But this.

I've tested and have found no evidence. It is simply a matter of when you break out during Marth's grab. AFAIK there are 2-3 frames (maybe even only 1) that you break just slightly further because you are pushed away during the pummel very slightly then you are released and if you were holding away to break further (much like Lucas does) you will escape it.

tl;dr It's luck

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Yeah... Edges = not that great... Just cp norfair, mah favrit for nearly everyone who won't die on brinstar.

supercow247

Smash Rookie
i am not a smash noob im quite the oppisite kick your butt any day! Uffe my freind code is 0603-1258-1287

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Can't say I blame you. You made us Ness mains really happy. But lies beget more lies.
In the end, it ended up hurting us more than helping us.
This.

Sweet merciful implacable Ganondorf, 10 000 times this.

In other news though, I think I've got the guaranteed dtilt trip. You'd think we could do something with that. Close range Ness now threatens a trip -> Fsmash, stopped only by a shield or a faster attack, and also grab -> ****, stopped only by a dodge or faster attack.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Stay by the edges? Your kidding right?
this may sound stupid as marth can easily gimp you, but if you know how to fight marths in general, but just can't handle the infinate, this is the way to go. This is how I beat a marth at a tourney with my ness :p. PhantomX is a betch though, he took first in our tourney. Too good his wario, my ness doesn't stand a chance :3

Top Bottom