• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Fair

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'd kinda appreciate it if more than just Veril and I would talk this over. 5ive I wish you didn't **** up so you can give me some back-up but... *shrug*

Veril all you know is that we all agree that Fair needs to be changed. You seem to be turning a blind-eye to the fact that not all of us agree to the change at hand; especially since the "happy compromise" got changed at the last minute.

I don't like the change on the table, and unless Cape and Corey have been distributing the fix to some other 3rd-parties there really hasn't been much feedback on it that came from the people that main Marth. He's removing both frame 7 [original plan] and frame 6 [sudden "unvoted" change], frame 6 being that "all-encompassing" hitbox that is not only one of the main culprits for the camping issue but it's kinda also you know...the most reliable approach option for Marth. No character is going to proactively go for grabs the whole game, or even as his or her main way of getting damage (especially not Marth since he can't JC grab and DC grabs are borderline useless due to his humorously long initial dash).

Before you took a combo tool away from Marth, yeah whine whine, but taking a approach tool away is just mean ROFL. His other two aerials (Nair and Bair) are not viable approach tools, especially not Bair since Brawl programmed it to change directions as one of its first events, so I can't even SHFF it to prevent the turnabout anymore (so every time i wanna approach with Bair i have to add unnecessary frames for turning/RAR). Nair just hits too high up and only works well against tall characters (and I do mean tall) as an approach.

If I take away two frames off the hitbox I can't immediately FF from a shorthop and expect to hit a short opponent. If I delay a bit from my apex and SH then I can get a graze in. If I expect to approach a short opponent that has the brains to probably not be in the air the same moment I am, it's either a predictable delay to SHFF hit them, or approach with SHDF...

No one approaches with SHDF...unless you're like sandbagging or have ridiculously bad habits or something. It just doesn't work, especially not with the severely decreased range of Fair.

The Falco match-up suddenly becomes gayer because my farthest reaching hitbox just doesn't exist anymore. Now instead of having a near-even but difficult match-up, I have to work harder to just approach (and getting the approach does not mean a whole lot in the Brawl games; in Brawl+ you just usually eat more damage at worst). Approaching and approaching successfully mean very little since if you're not in Falco's face and killing him then Falco is essentially "winning" the stage control battle.

And Sheik...yeah let's not talk too much about Sheik. Sheik has even an EASIER time getting into Marth's discomfort zone and intercept with a dash attack and bye-bye Marth. Apply the same situation to MetaKnight.

These are only a few examples of how much more of a gamechanger this change would be over the last one. Yes, 6.0 Rarth requires more strings and pressure traps. But at least he can confidently approach without feeling someone has screwed him over drastically. Oh, so 7.0 Rarth has more real combos? Great! What's the chance of landing them?!

What good does having more combos (and also being able to put the dumb gimmick of double aerials from short-hop) mean if you lose such a reliable approach tool (just so no one misinterprets, Fair doesn't need to be nerfed in its reliability as an approach tool and also it IS THE approach tool for Marth)? the "new" fair is basically the front range of Uair except you can do it twice from a short-hop good ****. We said we were gonna "change it," but that usually means do better, not comparatively worse.

We all agreed to take off frame 7 on the hitbox. This way if Marth is camping then if you can get in under or behind Marth on/after frame 7, he's a sitting duck for a few frames. That's good that we killed off the fail-safe hitbox, but now we wanna one-up the quality of this change so we go ahead and kill the one that's also the outermost horizontal hitbox; just to make sure that camping can never happen again.

That's mighty noble of us, however I'm not keen on a "floatier Roy" either (Roy has a bad approach game in Melee; and his saving grace was his good mobility off of his FF-esque physics [which Marth+ mains hate] and the potency of grabs [overall weakened in Brawl and Brawl+ but now there's more ways to just 'get' the grab], JC grabs, and reactive edgeguarding over Brawl and Brawl+'s proactive system). Yes every time we nerf something integral to Marth I pull a Roy comparison, but it just tells everyone how better off Marth was, and how worse off Roy was. Unfortunately Rarth doesn't quite benefit from "being stuck in the limbo between the two" as so might suggest. It's rather detrimental to him really.

Cape has been away for a while so I haven't been able to ask him any questions but the fix looks to be worse than the laggier Fair. Everyone will more or less appreciate the minor physic changes but it seems no matter how we slice it, we always seem to put on the most radical changes into Marth's Fair, which instead of writing a 5 page essay on it, is basically Marth himself.

Yeah, we don't like one-move-wonders, but it's how he works. Instead of getting rid of this trait through forcible means, tone it down in a way that is more likely to "make everyone happy."

As is, it seems like we're taking the easy way out and manipulating the Marth whiners' poor foresight on the subject and then keep our mouths shut about it until another ****storm comes about. I thought those kinds of politics are gone from the WBR now. Plus I'm sure we don't need another "rebellion" that's actually serious the next time around.

I've added one frame in Fair's animation between frame 1 and 2, so that when Fair's hitbox starts, it starts higher up on the swipe, so his frame 7 hitbox is the old frame 6 hitbox.

Basically I've moved the 'super' problem hitbox down one frame (so that it's the last frame now) and got rid of the fail-safe hitbox. The move keeps four-frames but is basically the original plan.

Download the MotionEtc.pac here, no need to change anything in the Marth.pac (except maybe revert IASA to default if oh so willing): http://www.mediafire.com/?udkda4m2wym

Suddenly getting rid of two-frames of a move (one of them being the KEY frame for anything and everything) is NOT the same compromise. I did not agree to literally SUDDENLY knock off one more frame of the move.

And yes I'm throwing a ****fit because I (and a few others) will have to live with this change for nearly half a year from its release. I don't have a lot of weight in this project but I'll be ****ed if I didn't try.

shanus

Smash Hero
It seems like people are taking a real lazy approach to the topic at hand, simply removing two frames of a hitbox instead of fixing the animation at hand. I'm not even sure a 1 frame insertion at the start is the proper method. Why not readjust the swing animation to cover slightly more ground at the start, and less towards the end while removing the end hitbox. Then terminate the hitbox on the problem end frame and he can still approach, and voila, the camping "problem" hitbox is gone.

The people leading the charge on this project are ignoring key tools to fix this whole mess and are simply taking the lazy man's fix which provides a huge disincentive to marth mains. I've kind of ignored speaking up till now, but people with more animation / coding experience really need to speak up more (and the leaders of the project need to listen more instead of simply ignoring it at whiny marth mains), because I know first hand that the majority of the B+ team simply ignores (or doesn't even know how the edit) the precise control a fitmotionetc.pac can afford.

Making this animation fix would take, like, 15 minutes since your editing like, 3 frames of a move.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't know why frame 6 was ever removed. I thought I voted to only remove frame 7.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Cape has been away for a while so I haven't been able to ask him any questions but the fix looks to be worse than the laggier Fair.
I can tell you exactly what he'd say to that. Well not exactly, but it'd be something along the line of the whine cycle never ending, 'Brawl+: whine till you get what you want', should've never listened to Marth mains in the first place, this is why he's quitting B+, Marth SHDF is useless ect.

Again, just a rough estimation to save you the trouble.

What I will say on the matter is that even with frame 6 missing, Marth his physics altercations is incredibly silly. I didn't even have that hard a time doing the good ol FHDF wall that we were supposed to be nerfing in the first place against our Ubermensch. To put back frame 6 while leaving his physics as is would make him obscene. I would be willing to try frame 6 put back in, but in exchange for his aerial stopping nerf re-added. Also we do need to get someone to alter his fair animation. That will get some raised eyebrows from people trying to SHDF.

As an aside, I did find SHFF nair and delayed SHFF fairs to be pretty good approach tools. Granted you are probably much more knowledgable about Marth than me, but working as effectively as it did on someone of Cape's stature has to count for something, right?

I don't know why frame 6 was ever removed. *I thought I voted to only remove frame 7.
Marth's fair hitbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdkQG7Y1OI

About 7:50.

You can see the four frames of the hitboxes and you should also see that frame 6 is down and in front of Marth and 7 is below him (contrary to my original thoughts). These are the troublesome hitboxes for the FHDF.

Edit: The more I look at this, the more I feel that frame 6 is the problem hitbox (being the third one).

shanus

Smash Hero
Basically, if you reengineered the animation, you can make frame 7 be the part that starts around halfway through frame 6. It's not an all or nothing thing compared to what they are doing now.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It was affecting his physics and was not longer needed assuming the laggier Fair stayed. I guess we all thought it's fine for it to return assuming we got the Fair change right.

I can't really say much else.

Was messing with Fair swipe animation for a while before I decided to watch a movie instead but it's somewhat confusing and getting animations to line up is largely the difficult part.

Veril

Frame Savant
Cause his aerial stopping nerf has no real value with a less functional fair wall.

Try not to jump to conclusions on the frame 6 thing, Cape wants it gone, that doesn't necessarily mean I also want it gone... and if that is gonna happen I'm not going to "slip a fast one" on you guys and put it in without a vote.

I'll definitely check out the animation adjustment you outlined in the OP.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You said you had no problem with it though and nearly gave me a stroke. =.=

I'll send you some other stuff later; all minor aesthetics I believe.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only

What you guys can do is take this image into MS Paint etc. and throw down some points for where you want the sword to be on the four frames and I can whip together a modification.

I've included the default vBrawl path in yellow, and just a quick suggestion in gray. (Ignore the numbers.) You'll notice that the range at 2-3 o'clock isn't actually as good as it could be due to the straight line interpolation of hitboxes. By placing a frame there you could improve the range there where it's supposed to be effective while reducing the lower hitbox area.

Go to it!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Cool. I'll give people a day to add their input before I code it up and post it for testing.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Looks like the proposed change will f-air well with the Marth mains huh?

don't shoot plz :048:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Bad puns can only be rewarded with death.

That looks fantastic Shell

Shell

Flute-Fox Only

I did a few things:

1) For frames 5 and 6, he held his sword at strange angle, limiting the horizontal range. I've fixed this.

2) I adjusted the sword positions to as close as possible to my proposition

3) I smoothed out a weird jerky movement in his right foot originally present in the brawl animation. I swear, bawrl designers/coders never cease to amaze me with their laziness.

I didn't think that he had any other MotionEtc changes so I used a vBrawl one as a base rather than DLing all of B+ on my currently ****ty connection. If you already have a FitMotionMarthEtc, I'll let you extract and paste the new Fair into it.

-->TEST ME<--

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Seems to look and work well from the perspective of the Marth player. More pronounced horizontal range like the olde glory days is good.

And therefore a more vulnerable underside for people to exploit. D=

Of course we have to see if this does its magic for the foe's sake too. :012:

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Has anyone played with the Fair yet? Impressions? Suggestions?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I've been playing with it and so far it feels..interesting.

Because it reaches out farther, I genuinely have an easier time keeping things from getting in and beating moves out simply through reach/disjointedness.

As for its walling potential, I can't say for sure atm how I'll get back to you on that when I go play some people tomorrow. I'll have a better chance to test it out.

The move does feel like it's more horizontal and less vertical, which is what I assume you wanted to do, so that's solid.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I think this nerf was done pretty well in that it'll take a while for anyone to evaluate if Marth has lost or gained more in "this rework."

Stuff:

- Since you added a frame (on start-up? BBox animation players seems to hint at this idk) it seems to begin to hit at where my ghetto fix hits. So Melee-style reverse fair hits are back. (Cue rejoice)

- non-SHFF Fair seems to still hit short people; unless they crouched or something. SHFF Fair seems to look and operate almost the same.

In that regard we may have buffed SHFF Fair's defensive and offensive properties; but it's inevitable as the animation now follows a more horizontal suit (SHFF) to rid of the all-wall of FHD Fair. Hard to see how that pans out.

- Losing the old frame 6 and 7 means you can't "scoop" people into a second Fair as consistently as you can before (in a SHDF) because the move no longer reaches down into the stage as much anymore. Likewise, you can't SH rising Fair on a opponent that is on the floor (missed a tech) and expect to hit them. Don't quite remember if you can scoop people with a SHFF Fair though.

- Crouching Sheik ***** my arteries. Just saying~ :048:

- These first impression lead to me saying Marth's juggle game has improved (new reverse hit on top instead of bottom [vB/old B+ frame 7] and looks to send in a way reminiscent to the days of Melee old) while his game on ground opponents has weakened (but wasn't eaten alive as the change proposed by Cape looked to be @_@).

I think Marth changes need to be tested extensively outside the WBR as well. I'm thinking of Vex, ChaosKnight, Lanstar (?), and BubeMarth (seems to be one of the main B+ PAL users).

Since Vex has a knack of abusing stuff well I'm particularly interested in him testing this.

I don't know much anything about Lanstar but I know CK and BM would be good in gauging how favorably this change is in terms of "feel" and "combo ability." Plus if Bube likes it I bet every other German Marth player will (obligatory 'xD' here).

Only problem here is that "unofficial" builds usually are never well-tested (if I just provide a Mediafire link), and I'm pretty sure treating these changes like the Samus/D3 changes is out of the question. If we however do go this way it's a good way to gain back the other Marth players' "trust" back as well as typical feedback ("it's great blah blah", or "it's horrible blah blah").

JCaesar can get in touch with CK though and if Vex isn't part of the WBR anymore (IDK if he was purged LOL) than I know someone here can get in touch with him. <_<

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I've double checked the animation in BBox, and it still has default startup, with the attack properly occurring on frames 4-7.

Check your FitMarth.pac to make sure that the hitbox is on the appropriate frames there. If it's hitting on frame 3 (above/behind him) then that was not my intention at all. Also make sure you have any fair speed mods removed from the .pac or .gct.

If people think the horizontal range increase was too much, that's easy to tone down. I await your further impressions.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
nvm it seems frame 4 just works better now due to its range being partially increased due to the animation fix

:048:?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Frame 4 is completely unmodified in any way... only frames 5, 6, and 7 were changed. Looks like I'm going to have to investigate this one myself. :p

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
this fix looks much, much better than pulling out the frame 6. I dont' have anyone to test it with, but for now you have my thumbs up on this

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
JCaesar can get in touch with CK though and if Vex isn't part of the WBR anymore (IDK if he was purged LOL) than I know someone here can get in touch with him. <_<
Thunderhorse would be better for getting in contact with CK. They live near each other and play together fairly often.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Testing it out, and the timing on the fair as a whole seems to be a little off. I'm trying setting the IASA to 31 frames (in PSA) and I can't tell if it's too much or not. Anyone else care to try that out?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm assuming that's a fix independent of SHeLL's Motion.pac? The Motion.pac already makes old frame 6 "basically" the new frame 7 so changing the duration timer in PSA would otherwise be unnecessary.

Yeah I probably answered my own question ROFL.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Testing it out, and the timing on the fair as a whole seems to be a little off. I'm trying setting the IASA to 31 frames (in PSA) and I can't tell if it's too much or not. Anyone else care to try that out?
I think the remade animation is playing with the duration of the move. I need someone to frame advance test it to see if it's working right. Both the hitbox and total duration actually, if anyone could be so kind.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Okay. I just tested the Fair and I was able to DJ out of it on frame 32. I counted the first frame of Fair as Frame 1 and counter from there and then on frame 32, I saw the little circle under marf's feet that says you DJ'd.

My overall impression of Fair though is good. I like it personally in combination with the new physics and rebuilt Fair. The original version is good to, but I like this better for obvious reasons. :V

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I'm glad that you like it.

With that said, how does your opponent like it? Did you notice a significant difference in his ability to break through your disjoint wall?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Um. Mixed. The horizontal range boost is throwing them off, but they've noted that they've been getting under far more consistently with like Dash Attacks and Ledge Attacks and Dtilts, and its easier to punish with the removal of frames (though not by much)

They can buffer stuff from shield even if I SHFFL my fairs unless I tip them.

SHDF is out of the question for walls if you opponent knows wtf they're doing.

It's like I'm using Marth again, all in all.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
frame 8 i guess. That's what they told me. They felt like it was easier to punish and im like, "lolk"

It might be a placebo effect wearing off.

For the longest time I thought sheik's tilts have more hitstun than what they did in actuality, and once I realized it, i was able to punish sheik's tilts more consistently and I learned the MU.

This is probably the same thing with me telling them, "fair had some frames removed" as a catalyst.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hitboxes on 4, 5, 6, 7 just like before. Just like Melee.

All four frames. No frame eight to be seen anywhere. ...?

But if they were developing more ways around it, I guess it doesn't matter that they understand how or why they're really doing it :p

Top Bottom