• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Grab Game is Amazing

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Do I have to record a video with me voicing frame by frame everything?

At 0%, dthrow does not chaingrab, as Fox lands on the ground TOO EARLY for him not to be able to escape it with a spotdodge (he "feels the ground" around frame 43 at 0%).

After TWO FORWARD THROWS, i.e. SOMEWHERE ABOVE 4% (and in this case 7%), FOX WILL LAND ON THE GROUND FRAME 45, WHERE A SPOT DODGE WON'T COME OUT UNTIL FRAME 49.

Marth's down throw has him free frame 34, with an 8 frame dash grab, you have to start grabbing by frame 40. WHY IT STOPS AT 28%, IS BECAUSE AT THE LEVEL OF DECAY DTHROW HAS AFTER 5 THROWS, HE WILL BE ABLE TO AIR DODGE FRAME 26.

IF YOU HAD dthrow decayed more? Maybe you'd need to start cging him a couple of percent later and it would go longer, maybe not.

EXPLAINATION:
Marth's throws have a damage output increasing at yada yada speed per percent damage.
Marth's throws, once they reach a certain damage (it seems semi-dependant on character... or maybe just Fox got screwed over hard) the THROW you use will have it's PHYSICAL PROPERTIES CHANGED.
The start up throws have larger hit stun, and the trajectory an opponent moves is SET (i.e. no DI). YES, DI DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING WITH THE THROWS AT THESE PERCENTS.
The 'second' throws have considerably LESS hit stun and can be DI'D.

Hence with the use of decaying throws in certain ways, the "start up" throws can be extended longer, maintaining the awesome frame advantage they have.
e.g. A fresh fthrow will hit it's "second" part on Bowser at 8%, he will be able to start air dodging at frame 32, leaving you stunned until frame 38. If it was to return it's first part bowser wouldn't be able to airdodge until frame 48 (and will most likely land on the ground during this time, incurring further landing lag penalties).
If for some odd reason, you fthrow was completely decayed (9 times), you could fthrow cg Bowser from 0-18%.
So in a real occasion,
fthrow 1: 0-4%
fthrow 2: 4-7%
fthrow 3: 7-11%
Fthrow 4: Isn't a guaranteed cg.
So I can fthrow fthrow fthrow then d throw dtrhow dthrow dthrow dtrhow then tipper fsamsh? After the fifth through you can't do with d3 does? A video would be nice of you doing it I don't needs to hear your voice. :laugh:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ya, you can, but you gotta be super super good at buffering. About the same difficulty (maybe slightly harder) than doing release grab->spike on meta.

Maybe I'll record it... later...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
LMAO. :laugh:

I see that we have frame data for Marth, but is there any data on his throws at all? I can't seem to find any...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Really? Well, how come most character boards I've come come across have data for each throw then like this one:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202837

Oh, I'm not trying to be smart or anything like that. It's just I want to know why the frame data we have lacks it/doesn't include throws. Also, it doesn't look like it take character % into consideration for the throw frame data so IDK if it should really affect throws THAT much. Or is Marth an exception to this?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Becaue either Ike is a static and not very deep character, or the guy has his frame data completely wrong.

What don't you get about what I said Atria?

Marth's throws PHYSICAL PROPERTIES CHANGE AFTER CERTAIN PERCENTS
and
Marth's hitstun and end time on throws are different for EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Oh and a btw, that grab combo works on ALL spacies. Just tested =] And, it really sets them up bad off stage.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
so... grab releasing your opponent off the stage... better or worse then d throwing/f throwing off stage? i notice they fall quicker and have to suffer the lag giving tim to hop or finish, but are there advantages to use the actual throws that reign over those of the off-stage release?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Shaya, stop breaking this game with buffering.

10 frame buffer makes the game gay AND is probably the most technical thing in this game.

GG Sakurai. <____<

* Goes play a casual Kirby game *

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
vietgeek i couldn't help but notice your brawl+ sig and am curious: is it illegal? I reallly miss melee and lurve mai brawl characters.

*sorry to post off-topic*
*900th post in marth boards*

VietGeek

Smash Hero
vietgeek i couldn't help but notice your brawl+ sig and am curious: is it illegal? I reallly miss melee and lurve mai brawl characters.

*sorry to post off-topic*
*900th post in marth boards*
Brawl+ is not illegal, but the method to get it is in violation of Nintendo's EULA (which only really applies when you use its online services; so you're technically violating the EULA if you play Brawl+ online or cheat online). Still not illegal though. o_O

Simply put - Nope, join the rebellion. All hail Lelouch. yadayadayada

I feel you man. But you gotta revisit Melee every now and then so you can recall a decent Smash game that's extremely unbalanced.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Buffering dashes is stupid.

Maybe I didn't bother to test it on normal throws, but a grab release you only have a 2 frames to 'buffer' a dash before its considered a walk.

If its the same for normal throws, then yeah, 2 frames; gg.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The dumb leeway the buffer offers is one of the leading reasons for suicides, as well as messing up stupid stuff like platform drop to aerial.

But the fact that you have 1/6th of a second to buffer allows you to abuse it like hell;

see Dragonic Reverse, grab release stuff, JP spacie combo (because the Japanese like their combos), etc.

And you will regret saying that about smash 64.
We all know he's only still playing SSB64 because he dominates it.

Just like M2K is still playing Brawl because he dominates it.

Top Bottom