• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's grab game

penguinman

Smash Apprentice
those are some cool options. I never do that though, I just grab attack till he frees himself then folow it up with a jab. It normally tippers.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also for ideas sake...

Up throw will kill light characters like Lucas/MK at 180%. Who ever would let a light character get up those percentages? Eh. It happens if you're infiniting Lucas/Ness :p. (Oh, this is on Final Destination).

When it comes to grab game, I just use it to scare people, an fthrow to a one hit nair, fsmash/grab again etc can be done very fast and can scare the crap out of people.

IDK

Smash Lord
i think what i have to get used to better is that when someone is shielding and it's a little worn down and smaller, you can still hit them with aimed f-tilts, d tilts, and some other attacks. d-tilts usually hit after a small period of time spent shielding and can set you up well just like grabs. I only like this at low percentages though because at higher it will just hit too far and not actually do as much damage as a grab would, what with all the hits you get in.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
That's escapable though.. right?
Roy R seems to make it work on Metaknights no problem. But maybe thats just his pure skill?

Don't we also know of a F-throw chains -> Spike on Falco now? Its probably escapable, but most things in Brawl are. The key is making your opponent not expect it.

D-throw chains are highly escapable, but are completely mind-game based, just like U-throw chains. If you fool your opponent, you get a free grab.

Grab releases though, seem to be the most influential thing to be discovered in Marth's grab game lately. Free hits on Metaknight are always a good thing, especially when you tack on damage before you get that free hit...

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I was messing around today, and I realized something pretty neat. Marth is awesome at Edgeguarding, and he shines best when his opponent is recovering from low, due to his awesome spike and gimping.

That being said, I found that chain throwing the Fthrow, and then at the end of the stage, grab attacking to release for a low drop grab sets your opponent RIGHT where you want them for a really quick low damage gimp. It's highly effective on Spacies, because it stops them from using their phantasms/illusions/scars, since they have now fallen. From here their UpB's are easy to gimp/spike. I prefer falling off and reverse mid-air Dolphin Slashing back onto the stage to gimp them. If they fall back far enough (by DIing backward), then it's really awesome, because drop Fairing to Rising midair Nair almost never fails to kill. I'm optimistic on how this might work on Snake.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmmm. Not much to edit.

Well I took out one line about Marth's grab game not being great because that's just lies and slander. Other then that, this thread is made of good and win.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all these really helpful threads, Emblem Lord. I've been looking to work up my Marth a bit, since it is kind of... terrible.

But one thing strikes me as odd, all the threads you made cover a different category, couldn't you have made a one-thread guide? Just wondering.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Thanks for all these really helpful threads, Emblem Lord. I've been looking to work up my Marth a bit, since it is kind of... terrible.

But one thing strikes me as odd, all the threads you made cover a different category, couldn't you have made a one-thread guide? Just wondering.
People absorb a LOT more when things are covered one topic at a time. Not to mention if you recall Steel2nd's mammoth of a guide, not nearly enough people probably read that because it was almost intimidating to read. Even those that did probably only got about 25% of what was in there.

Not to mention making all of them would be a huge pain in the *** for him.

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
Marth's grabs actually help alot! All of hi grabs throw your opponent up or bounce him up off the ground which is really helpful. Marth is extremely beastmode in the air so if you get your opponent into the air using the grab its a great way to start off the ****.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
People absorb a LOT more when things are covered one topic at a time. Not to mention if you recall Steel2nd's mammoth of a guide, not nearly enough people probably read that because it was almost intimidating to read. Even those that did probably only got about 25% of what was in there.

Not to mention making all of them would be a huge pain in the *** for him.
Makes sense.

What doesn't is why people skim over walls of text that are important...

Life's little mysteries, I suppose.

TheOMGEffect

Smash Rookie
Marth's throws are terrible. I honestly never use them because so far I feel they weaken my fighting style. I believe the only useful throw he ever had was his up throw (I only know by watching Ken), but the physics have changed and that throw no longer has any use unless you some how manage to get your opponent up to 210% damage. At that point his upward throw will offer and instant kill.

The only useful throw I have found is his forward throw which can be chained up to 3 times and spiked afterwards, but it is very hard to master and plan something like that and in all my time of playing Marth I think I've gotten two kills like that. Other than that, I suppose random chain throwing to piss off your opponent is kind of fun. The idea is to make him feel like he is taking more damage than he is so again it's a mind game thing.

Other than that, I feel Marth's throws have no use. Maybe the occasional forward throw to a forward air, but that is really easy to dodge and is often avoided, so I got rid of that technique.

I assure you I am not bias to not throwing. I throw with EVERY other character I play but Marth. I think that Marth has the worst throws in the game and unless some random amazing thing is discovered, they should never be used regularly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
And that's EXACTLY why Marth nets grabs so easy.

The damage is trash duh.

No one ever contended that.

Come back when you learn what it means to cover your opponents options.

As of now you have displayed that you have no idea what throws are good for other then damage and out right kill set-ups.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
And that's EXACTLY why Marth nets grabs so easy.

The damage is trash duh.

No one ever contended that.

Come back when you learn what it means to cover your opponents options.

As of now you have displayed that you have no idea what throws are good for other then damage and out right kill set-ups.
I was about to get on him because he dissed Uthrow. Umm juggling traps anyone? And Dthrow... ah he'll figure it out.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Marth's throws are terrible. I honestly never use them because so far I feel they weaken my fighting style. I believe the only useful throw he ever had was his up throw (I only know by watching Ken), but the physics have changed and that throw no longer has any use unless you some how manage to get your opponent up to 210% damage. At that point his upward throw will offer and instant kill.

The only useful throw I have found is his forward throw which can be chained up to 3 times and spiked afterwards, but it is very hard to master and plan something like that and in all my time of playing Marth I think I've gotten two kills like that. Other than that, I suppose random chain throwing to piss off your opponent is kind of fun. The idea is to make him feel like he is taking more damage than he is so again it's a mind game thing.

Other than that, I feel Marth's throws have no use. Maybe the occasional forward throw to a forward air, but that is really easy to dodge and is often avoided, so I got rid of that technique.

I assure you I am not bias to not throwing. I throw with EVERY other character I play but Marth. I think that Marth has the worst throws in the game and unless some random amazing thing is discovered, they should never be used regularly.

Tell me, did you even read the original post?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, when will people learn. Marth has a great grab game in terms of positioning. Who cares if they're weak when all of them provide a spacing advantage for Marth.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As most of you know, I'm not fond of grabbing too much. If you're not doing it like Neo, you're doing it wrong. I consistently see Marth players yield less net damage then if they were to hit their opponent right away.

Villi

Smash Lord
What's illiteracy... :confused:

The more you grab, the better you get at it. There's only so much someone can do and if you know how to counter their options out of a throw, you can give them lots of trouble in the long run if you pay attention.

Edit: What's a run-on sentence...

TKD

Smash Lord
Marth's short-hop is big, and his tilts and jabs are only safe on shielding or dodging opponents at max range. Avoiding taking advantage of his own grab game will only get Marth cornered.

I'm an amateur at playing Marth, I've only played as him in friendlies once in a while. And I've found myself being cornered too often because of excessive use of retreating fairs, when Marth has a decent grab range. Grabbing is good to have as an option, even when Marth has dancing blade and shield breaker, because as much as you would like to prove me wrong, they're not always safer options than a grab.

Grabs in general are less of an impact in Brawl than in Melee overall, so I don't see how Marth's grabs not being as good as they were in Melee becomes an issue, since no character's grabs are as good in Brawl as they were in Melee.

This is a very good thread. It should be in the general thread finding section.

Top Bottom