• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Shield Breaker

AeoreTroubadour

Smash Rookie
Why was the animation changed from the stab to the slash? I know Project M is trying to bring back the old Melee feel to Brawl graphics, but the fact that the devs from Project M made characters like Roy and Falco into clones of Marth and Fox makes me wonder a little bit, isn't it kind of pointless to have the clones of said characters when the original characters (Marth and Fox) are superior in terms of competitive play? It makes me a bit sad to see Falco's down special turn back into the same one Fox has, and Marth's Shield Breaker the same as now as Roy's flare blade.

There's probably some technical fighting hitbox mechanics behind me which I'm ignorant of, but I would like to know why the devs don't want to make characters more unique and keep certain aspects of the characters that made them so.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Ok, so I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but this idea is brought up a lot. There are threads all over general project m forums dealing with most of the questions you asked in more detail than I can explain. I highly suggest you go dig up those threads if you want comprehensive answers. I can give you some in short answers.

1. Why was Marth's shield breaker changed back to melee version?

The reason is that the stab really added nothing to marth's game that isn't covered by his aerials and ftilt. Aerial melee shield breaker is much more useful than aerial brawl shield breaker. Grounded melee shield breaker hits opponents on ledge, sends at a weird angle and is much harder to jump over. The aerial momentum from brawl shield breaker is meaningless now, because faster fall speeds mean you can't charge it anyway. Also it is too predictable.

2. Why is Roy just a Marth Clone?

He isn't. The change in sweetspot location, speed, falling speed and knock back angles make them play completely differently. Try playing a marth style spacing game with Roy and you will not kill ever. Try to play a more aggressive roy style game with marth and you will die in no time at all. Simply put, they are very different, if you actually look at the effects of their moves. Also, roy is very competitive in project m, just ask Sethlon.

3. Why are fox and falco the same?

Firstly, this is the marth board. You want to discuss the similarities between species here, you'd best be talking about chain grabs (and even those differ between the two). However, I will answer your question this one time.

Fox and falco play completely differently. Fox kills mostly off the top with up smash or up air. Falco kills off the side with the smash or the bottom with dair. Fox's shine sends opponents downward, falcos sends them upwards. Falco is a glass canon sort of character. Fox is not. If you watch high level foxes and falcos you will see the difference.

If you want to know the difference in detail, ask in the fox / falco boards or (ideally) in the general pm boards. If you ask nicely, I'm sure someone can give you a very detailed answer. The reason falcos shine was restored to melee was because the brawl version was almost completely useless from a competitive viewpoint.

Lastly, something I love bringing up from time to time. Project M has its origins in a hack to try to port melee falco into brawl. I know it's come a long way since then, but I still chuckle inside when people complain about falco or ask that he get some of his brawl moves restored.

Also, sorry for any grammar errors but it's 3:30 am right now. I'll come back after I've had a good sleep to clear up any points that I may have butchered.

Last edited:

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
Roy was reworked to have different animations and attacks from marth, and the cloned moves have different properties such as spikes with falco and up shine

AeoreTroubadour

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but this idea is brought up a lot. There are threads all over general project m forums dealing with most of the questions you asked in more detail than I can explain. I highly suggest you go dig up those threads if you want comprehensive answers. I can give you some in short answers.

1. Why was Marth's shield breaker changed back to melee version?

The reason is that the stab really added nothing to marth's game that isn't covered by his aerials and ftilt. Aerial melee shield breaker is much more useful than aerial brawl shield breaker. Grounded melee shield breaker hits opponents on ledge, sends at a weird angle and is much harder to jump over. The aerial momentum from brawl shield breaker is meaningless now, because faster fall speeds means you can't change it anyway. Also it is too predictable.

2. Why is Roy just a Marth Clone?

He isn't. The change in sweetspot location, speed, falling speed and knock back angles make them play completely differently. Try playing a marth style spacing game with Rot and you will not kill ever. Try to play a more aggressive roy style game with marth and you will die in no time at all. Simply put, they are very different, if you actually look at the effects of their moves. Also, roy is very competitive in project m, just ask Sethlon.

3. Why are fox and falco the same?

Firstly, this is the marth board. You want to discuss the similarities between species here, you'd best be talking about chain grabs (and even those differ between the two). However, I will answer your question this one time.

Fox and falco play completely differently. Fox kills mostly off the top with up smash or up air. Falco kills off the side with the smash or the bottom with dair. Fox's shine sends opponents downward, falcos sends them upwards. Falco is a glass canon sort of character. Fox is not. If you watch high level foxes and falcos you will see the difference.

If you want to know the difference in detail, ask in the fox / falco boards or (ideally) in the general pm boards. If you ask nicely, I'm sure someone can give you a very detailed answer. The reason falcos shine was restored to melee was because the brawl version was almost completely useless from a competitive viewpoint.

Lastly, something I love bringing up from time to time. Project M has its origins in a hack to try to port melee falco into brawl. I know it's come a long way since then, but I still chuckle inside when people complain about falco or ask that he get some of his brawl moves restored.

Also, sorry for any grammar errors but it's 3:30 am right now. I'll come back after I've had a good sleep to clear up any points that I may have butchered.
Answered my question perfectly thanks a lot.

I used Marth quite a bit before I discovered PM so, this old Melee styled Marth is something I wasn't used to.

Top Bottom