• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 15: The worst TO ever! PC Approved - April 18 and 19 - Framingham, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
It also seems like brawl people don't bring many set-ups. It's kind of unfair to all the melee people who bring set-ups, but being forced to use them for brawl. Someone suggested that maybe people should bring set-ups for what game they want, and it should be used exclusively for that game. But the problem is, if that were to be the case there would only be like 8 set-ups for 100+ brawl people. That says something about the brawl community.
I completely agree. I, for one, was pretty pissed to get kicked off my setup for 3 hours to let brawlers play on it when I'd come mostly for friendlies in the first place. I'm all for a purely-melee Mass Madness next time this rolls around; the brawl tourney took too much space and too much time.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Apparently KevinM doesn't love me anymore. :'(

:p

I forgot to plug Super Mass Bros before all the brawlers peaced out during Melee, that makes me sad, but all the Mass Brawl players should definatly travel to Greenfield this weekend for my tourney.
i really wish i could make that, but the drive is just too long... :<

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I had more fun playing Brawl friendlies than I did in the Melee tourney. <_<

Snow Striker

Smash Rookie
I completely agree. I, for one, was pretty pissed to get kicked off my setup for 3 hours to let brawlers play on it when I'd come mostly for friendlies in the first place. I'm all for a purely-melee Mass Madness next time this rolls around; the brawl tourney took too much space and too much time.

While it sucks you got kicked off your setup, I don't agree with a purely Melee Mass Madness next time. You say the Brawl tourney took too much space and time, well, there's a reason for that: Alot of people showed up because they wanted to play Brawl.

Axing something that a large amount of people showed up for wouldn't make sense IMO

Hopefully next time they let you keep your own setup if you wanted it to just do some friendlies :\

~Snow

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I had more fun playing Brawl friendlies than I did in the Melee tourney. <_<
false story

good **** Reno, I did too. Brawl is so awful it's not even fun when you win. I took NO pleasure in beating anyone in brawl. All I did was use snake and tilt. The sad thing is that brawlers consider that fun. I overheard a brawler say, and I quote, "I could spam projectiles with him for 7 minutes straight!" That kind of scrubby mentality goes hand in hand with the kind of people that don't bring set ups to a tourney.

On a lighter note, my favorite brawl moment was when Banks was standing near the entrance and 5 4-year old kids walked in and Banks says "5 more entrants for Brawl" and OBM and Jake heard him LOL

<3 OBM and Jake, but brawl still sucks

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Spruce: Although I can see why you disliked that, brawl is what's making the store money, and what a majority of the people there wanted to play. So the chances of an all melee MM are pretty small.

I'd say simply have 3-4 tvs next time (if we have the same number of set-ups) only friendlies...and up to the providers discretion what's allowed to be played...

Some organizational tips, though, while I'm thinking of them.

1. Make sure there is enough space around the tables, especially with chairs around. that slowed things down the most, especially by the entrance.

2. In the back section, having more tables, and placing them against the walls rather than in the center would actually let you fit more TVs. That might not be possible though, because of centralized outlets (?)

3. Even if you come late, have other responsible people labeling TVs, and arranging them. Also, for sake of finding the right TVs later, label them in some sort of order (whether from back front of the store doesn't really matter)

4. Spend less time telling people that you're gonna DQ them, and more time actually carrying out your threat--warning someone like 5+ times makes the TOs look bad, and as if they are playing favorites. Even if it's an "important" person, that means they should know how this works, and shouldn't be goofing off/breaking the rules.

5. Get volunteers ahead of time to help set up, make sure people aren't playing friendlies, and making sure match results are reported. Having other people doing this means it isn't just the people behind the computer trying to make it all happen themselves.

Overall, I thought this went much better than the last one I attended, especially given the number of people attending. Props to the organizers, even if it could have been better.

remember guys, even if they aren't doing a perfect (or even good) job, at least they have the balls to go and do it. Until you step it up and either start helping/running your own tourneys, your complaints are kinda pointless, even if based off of experiences from other tourneys.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
A solution could be to use the front of the store for tournament and the back (toward the ramp/door) for friendlies... Setting up like 4 tables in front with just tournament machines, and having 2 tables in back (one for melee friendlies and one for brawl) could be a good solution.

As a brawl player who did not bring a wii, in my defense I never felt safe enough to bring my wii into that store. Not after stuff being stolen before, and the ridiculous amounts of people just waiting to accidently break it.

One final note. Holding both brawl and melee events clearly got the largest amount of attendees at the store, which in theory should be what is most beneficial to the store. Just because the melee players are louder and have no shame does not mean that it is the more popular game. (not all of you obviously, but from experience it seems that if someone comes in and bashes brawl enough and gets a few rabid gamers to agree with him, the next MM turns into melee only.)

Props to the organizers and the store owners/workers. They are just too nice. I was sitting in the back looking through the pokemon calendar that has all their events planned and the tall guy with the glasses wanted to check something and apologized for getting in my way. I was like lol I don't even belong here why are you apologizing?!?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I know you guys don't like losing set ups, but at the time we took them there was at least 4 more set ups outside. We were running two games and Brawl was big. In 20 minutes those four set ups were taking over where the birthday party was and it was all yours.

I'm sorry that running two games and three events means a lack of set ups, but it's better than not being able to finish the tourney. During Melee Singles there were very very few set ups, I played very few friendlies that day, And I'm a brawl player. Sacrifices have to be made. I appreciate the people that brought set ups and didn't mind letting them be used for Brawl for the sake of the tourney. It sucks, but sometimes it has to happen.

Attendanece was huge and to get everything done sacrifices have to happen.

Buuman

Smash Ace
I know you guys don't like losing set ups, but at the time we took them there was at least 4 more set ups outside. We were running two games and Brawl was big. In 20 minutes those four set ups were taking over where the birthday party was and it was all yours.

I'm sorry that running two games and three events means a lack of set ups, but it's better than not being able to finish the tourney. During Melee Singles there were very very few set ups, I played very few friendlies that day, And I'm a brawl player. Sacrifices have to be made. I appreciate the people that brought set ups and didn't mind letting them be used for Brawl for the sake of the tourney. It sucks, but sometimes it has to happen.

Attendanece was huge and to get everything done sacrifices have to happen.
<3 ace

He knows what he's talking about. The B-day party is what ****ed it up IMO, and some of the tourney hosts showed up late I believe

Spife

Smash Master
I don't really care what my tv's are used for. I am kind of annoyed how ever that I bring set ups and then do nothing for about 6-7 hours. I could have just gone out side and found a wall outlet and ****ing played there.
I agree with what Yedi was saying, Europhoria (sp?) told us that what the canooks do is, your community brings your set ups. I mean, we're all apart of the smash community, and the more set ups to the tournament the better but hell...At least get friendly designated tv's plz. Maybe for the event that's not being run at the time (or opposite game that's being run).

Matt I think you should make a new rule: if you bring 50% of the setups used you get your entrance fee waived. >.> Call it "Spife's rule to get out of paying for things". I'll do it too and I'm sure Ace already knows this.

R3N0

Smash Lord
false story

good **** Reno, I did too. Brawl is so awful it's not even fun when you win. I took NO pleasure in beating anyone in brawl. All I did was use snake and tilt. The sad thing is that brawlers consider that fun. I overheard a brawler say, and I quote, "I could spam projectiles with him for 7 minutes straight!" That kind of scrubby mentality goes hand in hand with the kind of people that don't bring set ups to a tourney.

On a lighter note, my favorite brawl moment was when Banks was standing near the entrance and 5 4-year old kids walked in and Banks says "5 more entrants for Brawl" and OBM and Jake heard him LOL

<3 OBM and Jake, but brawl still sucks
hahahah yeah.. its like winning the special olympics... even if u win! you're still a brawler.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Actually banks, it was really in the bracket. matt.zeb had me and KDJ 1st round in the bracket(for whatever reason, i heard KDJ requested it) and everyone told me i had to fight him. I was kind of puzzled so i asked every one who is in charge of the bracket if this was true. they said yes you have to fight KDJ, so after realizing it wasn't a joke because the tournament organizers told me i had to play KDJ in a tournament match first round of singles. well anyway, i found KDJ and i fought KDJ and won. Then everyone complains to me to let him back in winners because it wouldn't be fair for the losers bracket? I'm sorry matt, You're a cool guy and all but you're the worst tournament host ever. For those who said" KDJ wanted to be disqualified" that's such BS else he wouldn't allow himself to go back into winners after i beat him first round 2-0. I know KDJ himself knows this because he's a man of pride that goes by the motto of no johns :p so you others should stop making johns for him too, he'd want it that way.

also wtf at seeding in teams i mean it didn't bother me too much because i was pretty confident me and cort would be able to win but still <_<. also in singles scar having to fight cactuar in losers pretty early after losing to KDJ in winners who shouldn't of even been in winners. then right after cactuar has to fight wife. i heard banks had to fight his bro relatively early. such terrible seeding but should we really expect more from matt.zebb?
Cactuar (IIRC it was cactuar, might have been reno or dazwa) was right next to me as I was seeding singles ._.

And Elen wanted to seed teams, so he did. Dazwa seeded Brawl. I didn't seed any of the tournaments by only myself.

Also this is still going to be quoted in the next MM's first post.

I should name the next MM after what I made larger.

MM15: Ran by the worst tournament host ever. PC approved

Snow Striker

Smash Rookie
Does there really need to be an elitest Melee view against Brawl? They're both good, DIFFERENT, games.

The amount of Melee elite-ism I heard there was astounding; didn't that get flushed out of everyone's system after a couple of months after release?

~Snow

Alukard

Smash Hero
kevM- love u bro ... i didn't get first hug but u get the first shout!! I kno thats ur gf and everything but u cannot let her use that modded controller shining people and using the invisible cheat ... =\ i mean we almost lost ... thank god magic cheats dont work on hyrule grounds HAHAHA <3333

zoso- we didn't play at ALL ... i kno its because u think i suck =[

raynex-there will not be any brawl at my tourney are u still coming ???

tuar- ur sexy ... but my samus is sexier when i recover ^_-

scar- i love you ... ur amazing case closed ... fun friendlies =D

wife- ur amazing definitely one of the old school smashers that i respect ur soo team smart =] thanks for the friendlies and letting us get the 2 out of 3 when banks and thorn tried to take over hahaha

banks- ur cute and hilarious ... but we didn't play yet again =[

th0rn- i didn't enter singles so we can play again ... we are 1-1 as of now hahaha ur my mass rival son!

darc- ur mad cool guy but **** ur gay in smash lol ... double rest ... wtf ... i didn't even kno where i was at that point in the match ... **** the words GO! were still in my face hahahaha ... next time ... no mercy =P

GUY THAT PLAYS BRAWL- i didn't place half bad at this and i used ike and snake a lot ... good **** in ur placing =]

cort- u dont ever want to play me either ... its cuz u think i suck too right =[

dj-pikachu ... wow ... random lol good **** tho n!gga

G$- we got this next **** son ... we gotta stop SD'ing

GWHIP... hazz and reno - hahaha get at me falling asleep mid sentance in the car ... i swear i didn't even know lmfaoooo

pc - good **** as always ... but next time invite the gWHIP to some practice too =\

kdj- ur amazing lol seriously ... =]

hayato- madddd cool peeps =]

ummm i can't remember anyone else lol remind me if i forgot u sons ...

o matt.zebb ... son ... u are failing at this TO **** ... have to take into account people are coming from far away and u can't have this about fun ... some people play to try to win and go + in the wallet man ... learn that then TO ...

but thanks for the housing =] u are a nice guy i guess too nice lol

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Why not run the tournaments separately on back-to-back weekends or something? That gets rid of the crowded store, the setup debate, and basically every other complaint about this tournament other than seeding, which would probably be cleared up by separating the two games anyways. Personally, I was annoyed that there were so few melee friendly TV's throughout the day, until after a couple rounds of melee singles had passed. I got to play maybe five or six matches in the span of eight hours. That's just crazy. If the next one is both brawl and melee, I'll probably show up around 7:00 once brawl is done so I can actually play what I came for.

About the seeding: KDJ and PC should never have been put together because it would basically destroy the bracket for everybody. I had my own seeding qualms, namely Elen and I playing first round, since he's basically the only person I play outside of tournaments, and it seems there were similar problems for others. There's no real excuse for that, Matt. Seed it right or just let someone else do it.

Also, I recorded a bunch of matches, like teams finals (Winners, Losers, Grand), and the KDJ vs PC match. I have a couple other miscellaneous matches as well. I'll try to get them up to youtube shortly, but my camera is a ***** to upload from.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Okay what the **** are people pissed about kdj and pc for now?

Yes. I put them against each other.
Then I put kdj at the OTHER END OF THE BRACKET.
WITH NO OTHER PART OF THE TOURNAMENT STARTED EXCEPT A FEW OTHER MATCHES.

IT DIDN'T CHANGE ****ING ANYTHING.

Jesus **** if you guys are going to be like this after EVERY ****ING TOURNAMENT I RUN why the HELL do people still attend?

TL;DR

EVERYONE SHUT THE **** UP

</rant>

I'm not even going to john out of this. If someone makes a good suggestion on how to improve MM I will, if not, don't bother

Alukard

Smash Hero
Okay what the **** are people pissed about kdj and pc for now?

Yes. I put them against each other.
Then I put kdj at the OTHER END OF THE BRACKET.
WITH NO OTHER PART OF THE TOURNAMENT STARTED EXCEPT A FEW OTHER MATCHES.

IT DIDN'T CHANGE ****ING ANYTHING.

Jesus **** if you guys are going to be like this after EVERY ****ING TOURNAMENT I RUN why the HELL do people still attend?

TL;DR

EVERYONE SHUT THE **** UP

</rant>

I'm not even going to john out of this. If someone makes a good suggestion on how to improve MM I will, if not, don't bother

HAHAHA are u serious ... or are u seriously a ****** ... "the seeding for teams was done by elen" ... and kevm did help with seedings for singles ....

THE PROBLEM IS ITS YOUR ****ING TOURNAMENT SO U SHOULD SEED SO WHEN SUMTHING GOES WRONG U ARE TO BLAME BECAUSE ITS U ON THE FIRST PAGE ISN'T IT ... GROW UP BRO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR UR ACTIONS

FIRST ROUND HAZZ AND RENO HAD A BYE ... NEXT ROUND ... THEY WOULD HAVE PLAYED US IF WE DIDN'T GO UP TO U AND CHANGE IT... ARE U SERIOUS ... SAME WAS FOR CATUAR AND WIFE TEAM I HAD TO TELL U THEY ALSO WERE TOGETHER ... CMON NOW ... STEP IT UP AND DO UR ****ING JOB

Spife

Smash Master
:(
ITT: Why can't you see that all of this fighting is tearing this family apart?!?!?!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Alright, so let me get this right,
I seed and people are fine.
The MM after that I seed again and people are pissed
So then I have someone who knows their **** seed and people are fine
The MM after that (This one) I have people who know their **** seed and people are pissed.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223824

Anyway I'd like to direct everybodys whining and *****ing here please.

Rainy

Smash Apprentice
It's kk Matt, I still lurve you :3

Honestly, considering there were SO many more people here than expected, couldn't we all take a moment to thank Matt for actually getting this Tourney finished within an Hour of the regularly scheduled time slot? Kid worked hard for that.

Cort

Apple Head
cort- u dont ever want to play me either ... its cuz u think i suck too right =[
precisely.

actually I think it's cause you never ever asked me to play.

I had a great time at this tournament, apart from not sleeping at all and having to sit through 7 hours of brawl singles.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Having your entry fee waived counts as compensation.

com·plain
intr.v.
1. to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault: He complained constantly about the noise in the corridor.
2. to tell of one's pains, ailments, etc.: to complain of a backache.
3. to make a formal accusation: If you think you've been swindled, complain to the police.

That's all well and good, but if I think your complaints are totally foundless, I'm going to pipe up.
whoops. you got me there. That said, I didn't mean for my post to exclusively be consisting of complaining. I hope something can be gained from this that can be applied to future events.

And I think that, given that they had already made the schedule for the day, they did fine in running them. Infact, they did great. Managing that many people is rough stuff in such relatively close quarters. Would things have been better if Brawl/Melee were held on different days?

Banks

Smash Hero
7 hours of brawl singles.
lololllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

(air conditioning would have made this much more bearable)

and yes, precisely orange soda man. brawl/melee tournaments being seperate events would help greatly for THREE event tournaments let alone the four events people were wanting. it just sucks for people like dazwa and probably others who play both games. they won't want to drive out two weekends in a row, but i dunno =/

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
lololllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

(air conditioning would have made this much more bearable)

and yes, precisely orange soda man. brawl/melee tournaments being seperate events would help greatly for THREE event tournaments let alone the four events people were wanting. it just sucks for people like dazwa and probably others who play both games. they won't want to drive out two weekends in a row, but i dunno =/
It doesn't even have to be b2b weekends; one can be Sat one can be Sun. Heck, there could be a warm-up event or doubles or something on friday too. If we can get those 3 events done in one day, one weekend should be easier. Has it been like this at MM ever since Brawl's release? [It was my first MassMadness.]

idea

Smash Master
lol. air conditioning. it's currently -6 degrees celsius in toronto. according to the internet, that's 21 degrees Fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit is a really weird word. looks german.

anyway, back to drama and discussion about how tournaments should be run.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
OSM: .zeb suggested a two day event earlier, but people didn't really want that then.

I simply want a tourney where people follow the rules, as it would save us much more time than anything.*

*giving us friendlies TVs would solve that *hint hint*

Seriously, at most the brawl singles should have taken 3 hours, if everyone played a full 3 game set of 8 minutes...

reposting for .zeb: easy, practical things that would make MM flow better
1. Make sure there is enough space around the tables, especially with chairs around. moving was really hard, especially by the entrance.

2. In the back section, having more tables, and placing them against the walls rather than in the center would actually let you fit more TVs. That might not be possible though, because of centralized outlets (?)

3. Even if you come late, have other responsible people labeling TVs, and arranging them. Also, for sake of finding the right TVs later, label them in some sort of order (whether from back front of the store doesn't really matter)

4. Spend less time telling people that you're gonna DQ them, and more time actually carrying out your threat--warning someone like 5+ times makes the TOs look bad, and as if they are playing favorites. Even if it's an "important" person, that means they should know how this works, and shouldn't be goofing off/breaking the rules.

5. Get volunteers ahead of time to help set up, make sure people aren't playing friendlies, and making sure match results are reported. Having other people doing this means it isn't just the people behind the computer trying to make it all happen themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom