• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 2A - After Apex Hype Train! SHIRTS OFF

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Mass Madness 2A - Apex Hype Shirts Off

February 11th 2012
Framingham, MA
If you need to contact either myself or the venue call one of these numbers:

Game Underground - 508-283-1503

KevinM Cell Phone - 401-330-7036
My phone is okay to text

Or Email

MassMadnessSSBM@Gmail.com

Pools will be run strictly for seeding! Those who make it out will be placed in a Pro Bracket. Those who do not have an option to buy back into an amateur bracket to compete in.

Setups, for those who are unaware, consist of a Gamecube/Wii, a Super Smash Bros Melee game disk, and a Cathode Ray Tube Television (CRT TV).

Setups are always very needed.

1251 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701

SCHEDULE

11:00am - Store Opens
11:30am - Sign ups for Melee Doubles
1pm - Melee Doubles sign ups end and seeding begins
1:30pm - Melee Doubles Starts
2pm - Melee Singles sign ups
3pm- Melee Singles Signups Ends
315PM- Melee Singles Start
7:45- Optional Event Signups
8PM- Optional Event Start
11:00 PM - Get out

Schedule is here as a guideline, and subject to change at the event itself

ENTRY FEE AND PRIZES:
(All prizes will be paid in cash.)

Venue - $5 Dollars

Singles - $10 per entrant

Doubles - $10 per team / $5 per person

Optional Event - $1-5 Dollars

Prize Pool for doubles - 1st/2nd/3rd - 55%/30%/15%

Prize Pool for Pro bracket - 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/5th - 48%/22%/14%/8%/4%

Prize Pool for Amateur bracket - 1st/2nd/3rd - 60%/30%/10%

Stage Selection:

Singles Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick Stages: Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64, Pokemon Stadium, Rainbow Cruise.

Teams Random List: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium.

Counterpick Stages: Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Kongo Jungle 64

Stage strike is 1 - 2 - 1

Rules

1. 4 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Pause is set to “Off” (Non of that quick reset bull****!)
4. Items set to “Off” and “None”
5. Wobbling / Blizzobbling is legal.
6. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., Ice Climbers’ Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner., etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
7. Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick the stage he or she last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
8. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as continuing infinite’s (wobbling/blizzobbling) past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Peach’s wall-bombing, or Jigglypuff’s rising pound can be only be used as recovery tactics.
9. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
10. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
11. In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by:

o Who ever has more remaining stock left.
o If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by who ever has less percent.
o If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters, and same stage.

Doubles Modified Rules

1. Team Attack set to “On”
2. Items set to “Off”
3. Pause is set to “Off”
4. Life stealing is allowed.
5. In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by which ever team has more remaining stock.
6. In the event of a game going to time and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Set Procedure Advanced Slob Picks

1. Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Player/Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Player/Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the 5(five) Neutral Stage List by the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Player/Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Player/Team 2 striking two stages, with Player/Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The Player/Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
7. The Player/Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Neutral Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Player/Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Player/Team that has already won on that Stage in this set unless agreed upon but both parties. (Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule)
8. The Player/Team that won the previous match chooses their character(s).
9. The Player/Team that lost the previous match chooses their character(s).
10. The next match is played.
11. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches until a winner is determined.

Conduct

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag and equipment. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO’s discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player’s ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
11. Although a rarity in melee (regarding textures and other game hacks):

o Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
o Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the MY discretion!!!!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Reserving First post

Edit:

As for the optional event I would like to have the community that we love in New England decide what we want for each mass madness! Each tournament we'll give you an opportunity to pick an event that you want to see ran and try and mix them up for people that want different tournament experiences!

This events options are as follows!!!:

-Low Tier Tournament

-Amateur Bracket

-Random Draft Bracket

-Random Draft Crew Battle

Event Description

Low Tier Tournament: A bracket involving only the lower tiers of SSBM, $5 Dollar Entry Fee

Amateur Bracket: For those of you who didn't make it out the pool (there's always next time no worries) you can be entered into a bracket with other players who suffered the same fate and play in a tournament bracket! $5 Dollar Entry Fee

Random Draft Crews Bracket: A One Dollar Entry Fee old school fun style tournament where for one dollar your name gets thrown in a hat and you and another person become a two person crew. Each Set will be run as a crew battle with the team who has the remaining stocks moving on in the bracket!

Random Draft Crew Battle: A Crew Battle of two equal sized teams drafted out of a hat 1 dollar.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
AlSO FIRST FIVE PEOPLE TO BRING IN A FULL SET-UP GET THEIR VENUE FEE WAIVED THE TOURNAMENT WENT GREAT LAST TIME AND WITH A LARGER AMOUNT OF SET-UPS IT CAN BE A PERFECT TOURNAMENT!! :) :)

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
banned stages only tourney is ****

or a "play your opponent's main" tourney

and wtfIthoughtyouguysalreadyhavehoggoingonthismonth??

. . .ec is cool sometimes. . .

Nabo

Smash Rookie
Omg. Definitely want to go to this. Hype.

I'm a little confused though--so there won't necessarily be an amateur bracket?
The random crews bracket sounds really cool.

Also, MDZ said I would get free entry for something because he forgot to pay me--is that the next MDZ tourney or can it count for this one? haha

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Omg. Definitely want to go to this. Hype.

I'm a little confused though--so there won't necessarily be an amateur bracket?
The random crews bracket sounds really cool.

Also, MDZ said I would get free entry for something because he forgot to pay me--is that the next MDZ tourney or can it count for this one? haha
This doesn't count, unless they let it.
I'll be assisting them, but it'd be unfair for them to be down one entry for my mistake because it is mainly their tournament.

Regarding amateur bracket;
The ama bracket at KevElenMadness is different from a MattMadness. In this you have to pay $5 extra to get into ama, at mine it's just auto-entry and I take 15% out of the main pot for payouts.

Elen

Smash Lord
I am more than fine with adding a Falcon only tournament to the list. I think it would be a good idea to elaborate a bit more on some of the extra events, such as how we plan to pay each out (which we can talk about later today).

Also, I just wanted to make it clear that we will be running only ONE of the extra events at this tournament. Make sure to make it clear which you are in favor of if you want your vote to be counted!

Unless the tournament took place at Game Underground, and they kept your payment, I don't think we will be able to do this. Sorry about that!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I believe it's a legitimate technique that involves even more set-up then allowed infinites such as Fox's wallshines on stadium transformations.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I believe it's a legitimate technique that involves even more set-up then allowed infinites such as Fox's wallshines on stadium transformations.
You don't think IC's numerous other chain-grabs that can just as easily end in death are enough?

I'm just curious. I'm rather indifferent since wobbling hasn't effected me personally yet, but I've always leaned against it.

Elen

Smash Lord
You don't think IC's numerous other chain-grabs that can just as easily end in death are enough?

I'm just curious. I'm rather indifferent since wobbling hasn't effected me personally yet, but I've always leaned against it.
It's really not that they don't have other equally effective options, as much as wobbling is basically as difficult to get a proper setup for as any of the chain grabs, and isn't worth limiting in terms of power. It's just not that strong, especially compared to the options and abilities other characters have.

Diesel

Smash Journeyman
My vote is for Random Crews Bracket, fellas! Really excited for this. I'm going to lift like so many weights in preparation.

Elen

Smash Lord
Random draft crews getting some attention :O

My vote also goes to random draft crews by the way. You don't know NE tournaments until you've experienced KDJ style random draft.

Kevin and I are going to go through the events more tonight and elaborate on the details, so there's no questions later on about the optional events.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
*rubs chin thoughtfully*

well i have interest and i'm sure that most of the springfield crew (small as it is) will too.

As for a side event, i'm torn between the draft crews and the low tier tournament lol

:phone:

crush

Smash Master
me and the 5 people i was gonna bring to this tournament are no longer going because wobbling is legal.

wobbling also indirectly killed 3 of my family members. if wobbling is going to be legal we should make up for it by banning samus or link or zelda.

does sheik count as a low tier?

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
draft crew bracket is stupid ... whoever teams with KDJ wins

I vote Low tier

MDZ we should team and win :)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i now cast my vote for a low tier tournament. Tho it means i'd actually have practice with mewtwo to get that character back in "shape" :urg:

:phone:

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
draft crew bracket is stupid ... whoever teams with KDJ wins

I vote Low tier

MDZ we should team and win :)
th0rn and I were planning to team at the next local we were both at.

BUT, if you're here I'll have to go with you obviously.

Top Bottom