• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
I think it would be saying that there is barely any top level Marth players that can actually destroy everyone with ease like Top Fox/Falco players can. It means Marth is not a character that is used in general which is true, he is much more underused when comparing it to spacies.

Edit: Riot, I don't know who the arrogant one is right now, but it's probably you demanding **** like that. No one is obligated to do anything.
It's arrogant to ask for reasoning behind ideas in a forum?

Fine I won't post on this board anymore.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Seeing that two of the best Marths are considering retirement and the character isn't popular to begin with, Marth is disappearing. While he's still definitely one of the best characters in the game, he doesn't hold up against other top characters quite as well as before. Marth used to be a Fox/Falco slayer, but both match-ups are much closer since techniques like DI have been discovered and used at higher levels, while Marth hasn't gained much back.

/opinion

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
Nah, this isn't discussion. This is some random people posting stuff online with no direction. Moderators don't keep us on discussing. If i asked how armada did at some tournament or started chatting i probably wouldn't even get an infraction. People do that **** all the time. Nobody monitors terminology or requires a certain word count or an amount of elaboration. People troll this area all the time (mostly good players) because 80% of smashers don't even fully understand the game and of those only like 5% are any good XD
Best post of all time.

The real discussion is in the fawks boards.

In all seriousness, Fox vs Marth is so even it's stupid. Definitely boils down to the stage. It feels kind of like Falcon vs Marth except Fox get's punished harder from earlier percents. The trade off being Fox has a little more flexibility.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It's arrogant to ask for reasoning behind ideas in a forum?

Fine I won't post on this board anymore.
you are obviously more knowledgeable than anyone and we as a community need you to keep us in line. your incredibly accurate analysis of our posts is mind blowingly refreshing.

please stay and bless us with your presence.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I guess Kage has a point. The usage of character and the levels of high playing with Fox and Marth are different in 2010. I mean what is the ratio to of Fox to Marth players in the Melee community 5-1 easily. Probably more like 10-1. Fox and Marth at high levels is pretty close throughout smash-history every time I've seen the best Fox vs the best Marth in a set Marth usually wins. I'd say at least 80% of the time. That's from 2004-present.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
whats funny is that had a non-pro player made that same post, and Riot made that same response, no one would have said anything.

Mahone

Smash Champion
whats funny is that had a non-pro player made that same post, and Riot made that same response, no one would have said anything.
ya, thats probably true lol, but i think riot wouldn't have made that kind of post if it wasn't a pro he would have just ignored it :p

Armada

Smash Lord
TheManaLord: This thread is about Ntsc so ofc i am referencing to NTSC.

Let It Riot: Look at page 475 and there can you see i have write a post why i think Marth>Fox
"It's like saying I know better than you guys and I don't have to prove it, so just accept it. I don't like that kind of attitude"

If i have wrote post so you seeing at me like that i will give you a apologize because i am not like that and i never wanna be like that =(.

Composeur: If i am saying like this.
(i am not American but i guess this will be true if that's not i will give you another example)

Compare Marth duing Ken/M2k prime and now.
Thats not that many Marth players anymore.

m2k (Strawhat have quit) is the only top player with Marth.
If i remember right people like Cort/PC (examples) use to play Marths like secondaries but not people playing spacies like seconds (dosen't matter if they are Fox/Falco/Marth players).

That i said at page 475 is why i wanna say Marth have advantage.
I don't know how i will "prove,show" it better.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
@Armada Don't apologize to that guy. It's his fault for not reading the god**** thread:laugh:

Anyway You bring up another point about top level Marths. There is only one highest level Marth player being M2K(whom barely plays :() Then there are a few decent players and thats it. Fox has so many people who play him at a pretty high level. All you have to do is learn to shffl and do 06 dair>shine>repeat to be considered good with Fox. The standard for being a good Marth use to be Spacing tippers and ken combos. Now it requires much more work to be a good top level Marth that most don't bother with it anymore. Even with such disparity Marth players still beat Fox's 80% of the time.

When Im feeling less lazy I'll post examples:chuckle:

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Idk, marth can be pretty straightforward depending on the stage. This isn't honestly my opinion, but if all you have to do with fox to be considered "good" is apparently shffl dairs and shine 06 style, then I can just as easily say that all you have to do with marth is dashdance until you get a grab. While both are obviously prominent in the character's styles, it is entirely accurate to say that this makes the marth/fox "good".

Though on a note on dashdancing, marths need to do it more. CC grab anything under 40, DI out of foxes dairs into grabs, and dash to the end of your range into a pivot grab which covers half of FD :D :D Proceed to chainthrow 0-80 and edgeguard; hmm, talk about simplification of characters

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Falcon is not Marth's worst match-up. It's not even in Falcon's favor.
Sheik is.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm starting to think that it might not be like unwinnable **** if Falcon plays correctly but no Falcons do except maybe like Hax.

Long, avoidable combos bad. Short combo that sets up inescapable edgeguard loop = good.

Still really good for Sheik though.

edit: I heard S2J is like okay at it too except he can't edgeguard consistently at all.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
shiek is obviously marths worst match up and if your a marth main u could always switch to shiek to fight falcon and ganon w/e your comfortable with.

shehehe11

Smash Apprentice
is pikachu really low tier anymore?

axe was really impressive at apex and i don't think all of pika's matchups are as bad as they're said to be

of course, this statement has no reasoning behind it... just a thought

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'd say Pikachu is mid-tier. He has impressive combos and edge guarding/gimp.s Also Upsmash to thunder is just too ****.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
There are alot of Character that should be rated higher but people are to lazy/intimidated to explore them. I put Pika at bottom of High on some random list I made and people laughed. Nobody laughed at my boi Axe though. I was starting to regret not driving up for Day 3. Then I saw Finals and was glad I didn't. I might have stabbed someone.

spam_arrows was really acting like a scrub ******* on the stream

therefore his statements hold no value in them

get at my logic

pika is mid tier at best though

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
@KK, Hbox just proved why puff>>peach =D

Do any apex results call for any particular reworkings of the matchups?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
spam_arrows was really acting like a scrub ******* on the stream

therefore his statements hold no value in them

get at my logic

pika is mid tier at best though
For the record I wasn't acting like a scrub. I am a scrub. No acting involved.

Second of all Pika is Mid-tier based on AXE results alone :chuckle: Look at the past year of results if u don't believe me.

@KK, Hbox just proved why puff>>peach =D

Do any apex results call for any particular reworkings of the matchups?
Talk to AXE

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I', starting to think Pikachu vs Spacies isn't that bad. Pikachu is so good at getting them off the stage and gimping them, he can chain grab them combo the **** out of them and he can even keep up with fox's speed and run circles around Falco.

I think it should be
Fox > Pikachu
Falco > Pikachu

then peach should be top tier then

you guys are overestimating Pikachu's abilities

everyone can gimp spaces if they're as good as predicting their recoveries as AXE is.

almost everyone can chaingrab spacies too but the problem is how in the world to get that grab. AXE is just really good at getting grabs, but that doesn't change the fact that Pikachu's grab range is the smallest in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom