• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion #3- King DeDeDe (Lord of Gordos and CGs)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, so this week is DDD, let's start out with any opening comments?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
He is really annoying because of his U-tilt and Waddles Dees. His F-smash is deadly before 50% and you really have to be careful not to fall into all his grabs. However, his B-up can be punished using rest.

PND

Smash Champion
His bair is vicious. He also doesn't like to die. Tough match, but winnable. Take him the edge with bairs and fair him off the killzone. It's the most effective way to kill him, otherwise he's living to ridiculous percents.

His dair and uair are ridiculously disjoint. Don't let him be in a position to use them, as they will trump your approaches.

As mentioned above, you can Rest him out of his Up B upon landing. Also, if for whatever reason he charges a move, rollout.

rinoH

Smash Lord
watch out for utilt and they are probably be gonna play defensivly so its really annoying so.. yeah

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
Once King Dedede is off-stage and he's facing towards the stage trying to recover, bair him like tomorrow! There's almost nothing he can do to stop a barrage of bairs if spaced correctly.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Exactly what Alex said, and also watch out for his Dair. He will come down on top of you jump, and then use Dair. Dodge this and punish him with some Fairs, or an Fsmash.

Also this is a good match to make use of the DACUS.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Exactly what Alex said, and also watch out for his Dair. He will come down on top of you jump, and then use Dair. Dodge this and punish him with some Fairs, or an Fsmash.

Also this is a good match to make use of the DACUS.
Yeah, also be away from him when he gets off the ledge. Every DDD just jumps and dairs so you will get hurt if you try to attack him coming off the ledge.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This is copied straight from my guide which can be found here.

You want to jump up immediately at the start of this battle, since he will be throwing Waddle Dees and you do not want to get hit with a spikey thing. However, a Pound approach leaves you fairly vulnerable against his F-smash and you do not want to start it if you see it charging, just wait until it is finished and fair him the second afterward (time it and come in right before the attack). His U-tilt (it can kill you in your 70’s) is his best KO option, it comes out straight after a shield and is very fast with little ending lag and low damage is needed on Jigglypuff to die. Therefore, you want to use the Wall of Pain to go in and out and punish his shield without going over him. Therefore, you should stay not too close to him but not too far. Also, try off-stage Wall of Paining him if he does not go above you immediately. If he is at or above 93 damage and he uses his B-up, rest him when he comes down, it will hit if you do it right (this is if he does not cancel it or cancels it right before hitting the ground). Rollout works great on this, because once he successfully starts the B-up, it cannot be hit through, so rollout and rest are your best options (release rollout so you will not be hit by the shockwaves, but still will hit him when he is immobile). Pound goes through his Neutral B amazingly, just remember you will go through him. Use grabs and dash attacks sparingly, use your f-tilt moderately. Avoid his bair and dair and uair, his fair can be hit through before he starts it, since it takes a while to use. Drill resting is your best KO option, but do not use an open rest (for his B-up) before 93% and drill resting with all the hits (it does 16%, do no rest if it does not say 93% when you are about to rest) before 77%. This is because otherwise he will F-smash and kill you while you are immobile.

Glick

Smash Lord
I love vsing D3's. Fun matchup. not extremly hard if you can read them. I don't feel like talking about this matchup I already talked about it somewhere else.

PND

Smash Champion
That is risky thing to do because DDD users can hit Jiggly while in her rollout with a well timed charged hammer attack (and that Down B move) if you're careless.
Not as risky as you'd think. Your Rollout can be charged indefinitely, he's smashes can't. Wait for the move, then punish the endlag. It he pulls up Jet Hammer, he can charge that indefinitely, but he'll take damage. If we waddles near you, Rollout the opposite way.

I mean, DeDeDe shouldn't randomly charge moves, but I've seen them do that to try and inspire fear into the opponent. I laugh at their attempts to do so.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Not as risky as you'd think. Your Rollout can be charged indefinitely, he's smashes can't. Wait for the move, then punish the endlag. It he pulls up Jet Hammer, he can charge that indefinitely, but he'll take damage. If we waddles near you, Rollout the opposite way.

I mean, DeDeDe shouldn't randomly charge moves, but I've seen them do that to try and inspire fear into the opponent. I laugh at their attempts to do so.
Yeah, a well timed rollout is his death wish. Trust me on this, if timed right, he cant do ****. Its safe with good timing, which I have been able to do even on bad wifi. So anyone should be able to do it.

PND

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, Watch our for Dees / Doos if you attempt that. I kept doing it to one DeDeDe, so he tossed a Dee right in front of me. Knowing I'd have to release rollout or get hit by his approach, I had to Rollout the Dee instead. Had he been closer he probably could have killed me after the hitlag. :(

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, Watch our for Dees / Doos if you attempt that. I kept doing it to one DeDeDe, so he tossed a Dee right in front of me. Knowing I'd have to release rollout or get hit by his approach, I had to Rollout the Dee instead. Had he been closer he probably could have killed me after the hitlag. :(
Yeah, never hold rollout. If you do, they will toss a dee in front of you and then go behind it and charge F-smash. Your dead then.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The first thing you need to realize about DDD is that his bair is better than yours. It's faster, does more damage, is faster, does more knockback, and is also faster. Luckily, Jigglypuff's nair is fast too, and you can throw those out to win aerial standoffs.

Otherwise don't miss rests, and remember that rest isn't going to kill until roughly infinity percent.

I'm gonna have to mess around with the roll to rest out of grab release Glick. It sounds crazy enough to work, since most DDDs would do a f-tilt or d-smash in that situation...

Glick

Smash Lord
The first thing you need to realize about DDD is that his bair is better than yours. It's faster, does more damage, is faster, does more knockback, and is also faster. Luckily, Jigglypuff's nair is fast too, and you can throw those out to win aerial standoffs.

Otherwise don't miss rests, and remember that rest isn't going to kill until roughly infinity percent.

I'm gonna have to mess around with the roll to rest out of grab release Glick. It sounds crazy enough to work, since most DDDs would do a f-tilt or d-smash in that situation...
I KNEW IT WOULD COME IN HANDY TO SOMEONE SOME DAY. But seriously, If you think your about to get punished just shield that *****, son.

Amide

Smash Lord
It's not that the thread died, it's just that I gave up on puff lol. I main Snake now =D

Hoser

Smash Ace
Yeah, almost as sad as my grammar and failure to close the color tag in the last post. >.>

I wish I had something to contribute to this match-up, but I'm still fairly new to Jiggs, and I've yet to face a good DDD :(

PND

Smash Champion
Hey. . . I play Jiggs and Snake. And Wario. And Falco. And Metaknight. And DK. And Captain Falcon.

I take offense to that!

Hoser

Smash Ace
Awesome, I'll make sure to read it. Considering I haven't really read anything, I think I'm doing pretty good with her. I'll probably upload videos and stuff within the next week.

Hey. . . I play Jiggs and Snake. And Wario. And Falco. And Metaknight. And DK. And Captain Falcon.

I take offense to that!
And I take offense to that. XD

illinialex24

Smash Hero

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
What should we do in the air? His fair is somewhat laggy but its hitbox is huge. I'm not sure how Jiggly's fair does against D3's, but I think D3's reaches further and has more priority. His bair is quicker, like Thinkaman said. I'm still thinking that if the D3 player is good enough he should be able to space himself out well enough that you cant really hit him with an nair with ease. I used to main D3 and MK but I haven't played any good D3's in my area. I dunno what to say honestly, all my experience has been on Wi-Fi.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
What should we do in the air? His fair is somewhat laggy but its hitbox is huge. I'm not sure how Jiggly's fair does against D3's, but I think D3's reaches further and has more priority. His bair is quicker, like Thinkaman said. I'm still thinking that if the D3 player is good enough he should be able to space himself out well enough that you cant really hit him with an nair with ease. I used to main D3 and MK but I haven't played any good D3's in my area. I dunno what to say honestly, all my experience has been on Wi-Fi.
If you see him backwards, get out, but frontwise, Jigglypuff *****. She has better speed if not priority which is key here. And DDD's fair is easy to avoid.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If you see him backwards, get out, but frontwise, Jigglypuff *****. She has better speed if not priority which is key here. And DDD's fair is easy to avoid.
The problem is, you can't treat characters with multiple second jumps like that at all, since they can freely turn around in the air. ROB is infamous for his "blind spot" below and behind him... but no one would claim that DDD has a "blind spot" in front of him. If you approach DDD from the front in the air, he's just going to spin around and whip out that blasted bair.

Bluffing approach and baiting the bair to gain positional advantage is a huge part of fighting DDD as Jigglypuff, and makes the matchup really annoying.

Edit: That doesn't mean his slow fair doesn't matter though. For example, if you hit DDD with an uair and don't want to stay below him because he is going to dair you, you need to move to the side in front of him. If he knows what you are doing, he will still reverse and do a fast-falled bair (if above the stage), but since he has to jump you will be below enough to avoid it and get away with the uair you did.

Double Edit: Conceptually, DDD is one of Jigglypuff's absolute worst matchups. The mentality is that you can't really combo this thing much, so you are continuously trying to make tiny hit-and-runs without being punished. If DDD trades hits, he easily wins since he's heavy, you're light, and he generally does a good bit more damage. In practice making hits on DDD is a little easier than it sounds, but not much... He still has a healthy advantage.

Glick

Smash Lord
I don't know about you, but I combo the **** out of d3's. Mad up air up tilts and and bair strings offstage. your bair is faster then his fair.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If a DDD is coming back to the stage facing forwards, he is trivial. The moment he realizes he can turn around though, everything changes.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
If a DDD is coming back to the stage facing forwards, he is trivial. The moment he realizes he can turn around though, everything changes.
Yeah, its a scary moment. The good thing is if you get two sex-kicks on him (very hard to do but if he tries to Waddle Dee you its definitely possible) and force him to B-up, then you have a chance.

Glick

Smash Lord
Just the fact that you can rest him out of his up b (weather he cancels it or not) makes the match up that much better for jiggz.

Glick

Smash Lord
I cant explain it in words. but hes going to keep jumping if hes below you. swing around his body and jump nair him and keep grabbing the ledge. Try footstooling him. Thats how a lot of people gimp jiggz these days. If they spike them and they survive, the jigglypuff is just slamming jump or jump + pound to get back up on stage. A quick character (like wario) can jump off and footstool you before you can do something about it.

Top Bottom