• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #34! Ness

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Before anyone asks, I did not read this whole topic. I only read some of it. So this match up is obviously bad on Ness' part but not impossible. So instead of making myself look more like a moron, I'll ask you people this.

1. Have you fought a good Ness?
  2. Does this Ness main have a name that is recognized by many?
  3. Are you recognized by many as Marth main?
  4. What were his strengths and weaknesses?
  5. What was your strengths and weaknesses?
  6. Did you use your deathgrab in order to win?

Questions one and two, though may not seem relevant, they are. Anyone can whoop a n00b.
1. I fought a Ness user that has the Brawl tag Duch/Duchock, and another one by the name RENTALINE (but he browses AiB). Both are pretty solid.

2. Umm, yes? I think only the random people on Youtube think I main Toon Link or something.

3. Both had PK Fire "mindgames," excellent use of PK Thunder to juggle Marth at his weak point (below him), both played defensively using Fair walls. Both of them know how to recovery, as well as stall using Down+B. Duchock also has a handmade hat resembling Ness's (this is very relevant).

4. Err...not sucking? That one is pretty tough to answer. But I won to Duchock after losing on Norfair. Rental beat me up, but that was my first tournament. I overused my kills moves on that one and couldn't kill him at 134% before dying to Bthrow.

My best asset is probably my mastery of pressing side + B x4. <_<

5. Yes, I used deathgrabs to win if I saw the opportunity.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I regularly play against levitas. Is he a good Ness with a name that is recognized by many?
I didn't know he played Ness. I thought he played Lucas lol.

Really does it matter? It's a disadvantageous matchup you probably won't experience that often cuz almost all of the Marth mains switched to gay(er) characters (at least in my area).

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Actually, Ness isn't even infinited. I think it's a 7-3. I mean, SBG...

:( No? WTH, 7-3 or 75-25 isn't that much of a dif.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
btw if you feel like being risky/suicidal/flashy you can actually spike Ness out of his PKT2. And by that I mean land a tipped dair as he's barreling at you at wtf miles per hour.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
now this is just my opinion

but i think this matchup would be like 60-40 or possibly even 55-45 marth favor no chaingrab and something like 75-25 with cg ness has a great air game and can combo with his pk fire marth is probably got a slight edge in the air

on the ground marth wins with grab release tipper d-smash (if they eidi) i think smashes are about even but marth has him at tilts and grab releases ness has him on grabs

so yea thats my input

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
ness cant combo with PK fire, sorry

^what steel said

On topic---> has the ness boards made and groundbreaking discoveries that could tilt the matchup more in their favor?

and more importantly, can the new awesome AT 3xSwords and co just found help us against them because it stops them from sweetspotting the edge when they recover?
I can see it working very situationally... but i want your guys input
*sad attempt to revive a dead thread*

KO M

Smash Apprentice
That really isn't fair.... I mean us Marth users have alot of advantage over Ness, and Lucas as is.. why do we need more.(infinite NinjaLinks Lucas) just kidding

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
infinate.. nuf said.
*Infinite. 'Nuff said.

I played a Ness recently... he was good, but with a little spacing, I punished all his attempts to kill me with PK Thunder (Rocketing). I normally just used Counter, but on the last kill, I hit him with an fsmash. Good times, gooooood times...

Levitas

the moon
Marth doesn't have an infinite against ness. Also, I haven't seen sufficient reason to believe that EIDI works/exists.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Marth doesn't have an infinite against ness. Also, I haven't seen sufficient reason to believe that EIDI works/exists.
uh, kinda he does, keep grabing and reliseing.. it works. some ness's, if good, can get out of it when marth is standing still but if marth dash grabs over and over ness cant get out of it till he is off the stage.

ark-angel

Smash Cadet
sidestep pk fire/thunder

i think its possible to sidestep fire but what about thunder? idk if i am doing it right but can you sidestep it or do the tail to it still get you?

Levitas

the moon
uh, kinda he does, keep grabing and reliseing.. it works. some ness's, if good, can get out of it when marth is standing still but if marth dash grabs over and over ness cant get out of it till he is off the stage.
That cannot be repeated indefinitely. Marth moves across the stage, meaning it has to end at some point.

Therefore, it is not an infinite.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
That cannot be repeated indefinitely. Marth moves across the stage, meaning it has to end at some point.

Therefore, it is not an infinite.
eh, i guess u got me there. but still it kinda is u know? and thats only if they know how to get out if it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
btw if you feel like being risky/suicidal/flashy you can actually spike Ness out of his PKT2. And by that I mean land a tipped dair as he's barreling at you at wtf miles per hour.
But really, what'd be the point of making Ness' recovery so obvious? Anyway, I have to agree with a lot of what ColinJF and Ref wrote. I'd say this match up in my opinion is either 65:35 or 60:40 without the chain grab. I believe he's got a better chance in Brawl than he did in Melee.

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
But really, what'd be the point of making Ness' recovery so obvious? Anyway, I have to agree with a lot of what ColinJF and Ref wrote. I'd say this match up in my opinion is either 65:35 or 60:40 without the chain grab. I believe he's got a better chance in Brawl than he did in Melee.
all marf's air moves beat out nesster's recovery, HAHA

VietGeek

Smash Hero
eh, i guess u got me there. but still it kinda is u know? and thats only if they know how to get out if it.
Even then, it's just a longass chaingrab.

Why do you even play Marth. We only know of one man who plays BARLW MARTH in GA.

Full Me-

oh wait he hates this game.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
People need to just forget the chaingrab nonsense. Marth doesnt even need it to **** Ness.

Also for the people saying its not an infinite...w/e lol. Its 0-death if they don't do that extra DI stuff (I forgot the name), which is just as good.

I never used the release grab on a Ness or Lucas as a 0-death in tournament...ever...why? Because I still want to learn the matchup. If I rely on this "chaingrab" I will be hurting myself in the end because its not even allowed in all tounaments. Marth just doesn't need it and it shouldnt even be considered in a matchup discussion.

Using it for a nice safe ko move is potent enough. (Oh and it gets Ness users mad as **** too :D)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
That's pretty much all I ever use it for lol

Not to mention the pummeling refreshes your other moves.
That too, you get 3-4 grabs (I use the c-stick to pummel here right into the smash attack).

The smash attack is usually always fully fresh...too good. I wish Marth had this on everyone <_<

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Marths Ariels out range Ness.
But a good Ness Rely's on spacing like an ok Marth does.
And any good Ness will know that they have to space out even more since that's their MU.

Marths Fair only has more range.
Ness' Fair has more priority. As does his Nair's Knockback.

Also the CG doesn't do much it's the grab release follow ups.
I've brawled Marths that CG'd the entire time. I just DI'd out and racked up more then their cg pulled of with just 2 tails of pkt. PKT can actually be the most mindraping projectile in the game (Which it is) for marth. Because marth starts to focus on hitting the head of the pkt mindlessly swinging his sword while Ness just stuns w/ the tail and then punishes w/ the head. If I were a Marth I'd watch out for the tail because a debuffed Bthrow is scary

feardragon64

Smash Champion
How does one disjointed aerial hitbox have more priority than another?
Who is advocating the cg over the grab release follow ups?
Aren't you assuming it's a bad marth when you say they're mindlessly swinging at the head of the pk thunder?
Why did you bump a 10 month old topic?
Why do I care that you bumped a 10 month old topic to say nothing new?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth ***** Ness.

Sorry it's true.
Marth doesn't just gay ness,
he counters his entire game.
Ness only has backthrow, fair and dash attack (lol not really even this), his nair is rare thing to be hitting Marth with, for any nair you could hit us with, we'd use our better aerial mobility and fast fall speed to uair you, or to shield then grab you, gg.

Ness' fair outranges/disjoints Marths. But who cares.
Pixel pixel, smash di, ff uair.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Marth ***** Ness.

Sorry it's true.
Marth doesn't just gay ness,
he counters his entire game.
Ness only has backthrow, fair and dash attack (lol not really even this), his nair is rare thing to be hitting Marth with, for any nair you could hit us with, we'd use our better aerial mobility and fast fall speed to uair you, or to shield then grab you, gg.

Ness' fair outranges/disjoints Marths. But who cares.
Pixel pixel, smash di, ff uair.
How does one disjointed aerial hitbox have more priority than another?
Who is advocating the cg over the grab release follow ups?
Aren't you assuming it's a bad marth when you say they're mindlessly swinging at the head of the pk thunder?
Why did you bump a 10 month old topic?
Why do I care that you bumped a 10 month old topic to say nothing new?

I didn't realize how old this thread was I'm sorry.
But after looking I felt like leaving input.
Bad marth or good marth hitting the head of pkt stops it. and any smart brawler would just hit the pkt. like others said before me a good ness won't get grabbed easily and pick up on marth not having a projectile. Because Ness and only a few other characters can control their projectiles this gives him the option of mindraping but your right you win gg

∫unk

Smash Master
i disagree shaya

mintyflesh' blog on aib covered marth vs ness as of recent (including top ness/marth's opinions) so look there for the detailed arguments

above average marth ***** above average ness. no marth will be fow easily.

the matchup is 60:40 (completely winnable for ness) even with the grab release

on wifi it's probably like 90:10 cause it's near impossible to break out correctly in lag

Top Bottom