• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion: Ice Climbers

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Excuse me for the lack of match-up discussions, I kinda... forgot :psycho: I've had a lot on my mind lately ;p. Here it is anywaaay

Ice Climbers

Yeah I miss Melee Dsmash

EDIT: Thank you very much Xyless =3

:053:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Ooooooof page stretch much? :(

Do any Peach's actually play decent IC's anymore?
I play Smoom (an Ice Climber who took Tyrant to game three as well as Dphat) like at least once a week. We live right down the street from each other.

I wanna hear what he has to say about this matchup, then I'll put in my two cents.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I play with Hylian and Future all the time. MO is the land of Ice Climbers :/

I think this MU is pretty good for Peach, at least 55:45 if not 6:4 for her. Nana hates shielding. Peach can pressure their shield like no other character and although they do have a few options (like Usmash OOS) to stop her from doing this, she ultimately handles them better than they can handle her. Once Nana is hit away from Popo, you just have to keep them separated. It's better to go after Popo initially and then work on Nana. Popo usually will chase you down and smack you away if you don't address him first.

Peach can actually kill in this MU because Nana is ******** and doesn't DI. You can gimp them rather well too. You can also nair out of Squall Hammer if they ever recover with it or do it for whatever reason. Turnips go through blizzard (everyone knows this at this piont in the game).

You have to be quite good with your spacing and float - you don't want to land much unless you know its safe, and make sure to pull turnips SAFELY. once you get the lead on them you can camp and there's not a ton they can do about it. Conversely, if they have the lead on Peach, Peach is actually able to approach them and she can make comebacks.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i wish i could tell u how i play against climbers but....its more player specific than character specific, like when i played hylian it really threw me off cuz he plays waaaay different than lain or skizm, so i just took the entire match just reading him, and then spending the next 2 matches gettin beat up by his G&W.

the only constant thing that doesn't change vs different climbers for me is spacing. i just stay at medium range, and poke at their shields and retreat. if there are platforms i will stay on them most of the match just poking at them with Dairs or Bairs if they approach.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I've played Lain's ICs in a full set on one occasion and Cheese at MLG Columbus, two stocking the former on Battlefield and going 1-1 with the latter before he switched to MK. Lain also doesn't go ICs on me anymore in favor of DDD and MK.

Nicole broke the matchup down well enough, so I don't really have much to add. I've been saying this for a while, but I believe that Peach handles the ICs better than any other character in the game (the exceptions being Snake and MK, but many of their players don't particularly play the matchup well aside from like...Ally).

So yeah, I'll just agree with what Nicole said. No point in repeating it.

Xyless

Smash Master
Lain rarely goes ICs against Peach, and when he does, it's generally to see if he can do it. Once he loses, he switches.

z00ted

Nicole really hit it spot on.

I actually rarely pull turnips in this matchup. Only under three circumstances, (1. If my opponent is using blizzard, 2. If my opponent is offstage or 3. If I'm on a platform)

I do this because turnips can leave you with too much ending lag and I've been caught in too many situations where I trip immediately after pulling a turnip and I get grabbed soon after, of a slight bad habit of forward glidetossing in any circumstances which can allow me to get grabbed, and the moving platform on Smashville just begs for you to get on it and camp the **** out of the DEMONS.

A Peach that can space well will strive in this matchup. Groundfloating usually isn't ever a good option against Ice Climbers because if they powershield they are just sitting right there ready for a grab.

Unless they are offstage: DON'T BE AGGRESSIVE

55:45 Peach

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I dont have enough experiance in this MU at all to really say anything of note :>

Only tricks I have vs ICs are extremely obvious or risky. [ie gimmicks]

Bair facing towards them still has a hitbox on the front [abeilt weaker] but you can drop float FF it right after whiff/block for space.

If they try to CG you while holding bob-omb they blow up if you have port 4 LOL, so I play hella risky with float aerials when I managed to pull one.

Retreating Free Pulls and Bonewalks are amazinnnnnnnnnnnng [except when you mess up], and canceling it at the ledge of platforms into any air option is hella ****.

And a question...

I know you can manually drop items after getting hit and they have a hitbox at times (hit A as you get hit) [idk if turnips do tho, pretttttttttty sure saturns and swords do tho.

Does it work during the ICs CG or after you get upsmashed? lol? im pretty confident it might work on the latter, idk about the former.

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I've never played a good ICs offline, so my only experience is on wifi, but even so, this matchup is pretty easy

My approach to most matchups is get the lead and camp, which works in this matchup, but ICs are pretty simple anyways. It's not a great idea to try to cancel aerials while they're shielding, because there's a good chance that if the aerial isn't fair, you'll get shield grabbed. Floating above their shield with float dairs, landing behind them/running away if you have to get your float back, and making them approach is what I do. It's kinda simple, and I guess it works

I think it's like 57.5:42.5, or I guess 60:40. There isn't much ICs can do if they don't get a grab, and avoiding the grab is easy because of Peach's float

This is one of her good matchups :D

ch33s3

Smash Lord
65:35 ICs, 6:4 if the Peach bone-walks every pull, every time.

Nana hates shielding. Peach can pressure their shield like no other character and although they do have a few options (like Usmash OOS) to stop her from doing this, she ultimately handles them better than they can handle her.
ICs can evade shield pressure by rolling to your further side and tilting (ie: if you're on the back on their head with dair, we roll to your back side) and ftilt angled up or utilt or just nair to end the pressure.

Once Nana is hit away from Popo, you just have to keep them separated. It's better to go after Popo initially and then work on Nana. Popo usually will chase you down and smack you away if you don't address him first.
True, :(. However, if Peach lets Popo get close to Nana, you will be in for a few surprises ranging from synchporting away to eating a belay through your aerial, though.

Peach can actually kill in this MU because Nana is ******** and doesn't DI.
Pretty much Peach's only real advantage in this MU.

You can gimp them rather well too.
Yes and no. If you hit squall with a turnip from the top or bottom, you have a 50-50 shot of hitting Nana, which forces Popo into freefall, and that's the stock. Peach has no answer to belay or descending squall, though.

You can also nair out of Squall Hammer if they ever recover with it or do it for whatever reason.
Only if the IC does it wrong. It's exactly like tornado in that regard

Turnips go through blizzard (everyone knows this at this piont in the game).
ICs can grab most turnip throws (all but retreating and lagless) with the climber that doesn't get hit. If you're out of range though, definitely take the free damage through the ice.

You have to be quite good with your spacing and float - you don't want to land much unless you know its safe
This is the only reason ICs beat Peach. We can, using our aerials, force you to use your entire float time, then when you're landing, use a desynch to prevent it, and then move in slowly while you're out of jumps/float.

make sure to pull turnips SAFELY. once you get the lead on them you can camp and there's not a ton they can do about it. Conversely, if they have the lead on Peach, Peach is actually able to approach them and she can make comebacks.
Safe turnips are Peach's best tool here, especially if the ICs are already holding one. They're VERY hard to deal with while desynched, which is how good ICs will spend most of their time with Peach. Peach has a few approach gimmicks, but outside of that, I'm not sure how Peach can hope to approach. All of her aerials but dair get pivot grabbed. She cannot land anywhere near the ICs without getting grabbed, because her usual lag-free tricks like jab after fair don't work (Nana grab armors it). Peach has a very hard time dealing with desynched bair (which, at perfect range trades or beats Peach's fair)/blizzard wall camping.

i just stay at medium range, and poke at their shields and retreat. if there are platforms i will stay on them most of the match just poking at them with Dairs or Bairs if they approach.
Peach should try to stay out of medium range against the climbers. It's in there where blizzard setups and the like can eat a stock off a silly mistake. Up close, Peach has a good chance to outbox the climbers, and at long range, she's got turnips.

I actually rarely pull turnips in this matchup. Only under three circumstances, (1. If my opponent is using blizzard, 2. If my opponent is offstage or 3. If I'm on a platform)
You're a smart guy.

Bair facing towards them still has a hitbox on the front [abeilt weaker] but you can drop float FF it right after whiff/block for space.
Never bair the climbers unless they are in the air. Seriously.

Retreating Free Pulls and Bonewalks are amazinnnnnnnnnnnng [except when you mess up], and canceling it at the ledge of platforms into any air option is hella ****.
Yepp. This is all true, as long as "any air option" is "float dair at platform height".

Take ICs to Norfair or Brinstar (though we all have pocket somethings for those stages), the less flat, the better.

Do not take ICs to Delfino.

Ban FD, assuming NY/NJ ruleset: strike FD and BF. If the neutral list is larger, get rid of the static stages (FD, SV, BF, PS1, YI, LC in this order by my preference, though other ICs like YI a lot.).

Look for ICs to either be boring and CP a neutral, or take you somewhere like Delfino, Castle Siege, Halberd, or Frigate.

Hope this helps.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
ehhh

50:50 IMO, yeah peach can keep the ics out and really evade stuff buttttt to do real damage she's gonna need to put herself in a position to be pivotgrabbed or damage ***** by uairs, blizzs, etc.

desyncs work incredibly well against peach, you just need to be smart and avoid getting hit by turnips, also i've pivot grabbed peaches out of fair....a lot of people say that you can perfectly space it but ive yet to meet one that does it every single time 100%(hell i've never met one that does it even close to 100%)

also you can pressure our shield but that puts you in a nasty position if you let us get away with a hit or two.

peach is decent at gimping ics i guess, but isnt everyone? i'd rather just side b way high and take the guaranteed damage peach can do(like....30 percent maybe LOL)

z00ted

so Cheese thinks this matchup is in the Ice Climbers' favor?

Interesting.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
people wanna me to share my input on this. But after what I am reading in here so far, I'm gonna sit this one out. I don't feel like having my head hurt or get into a fight.

I will say that I don't agree with what Ceese or this dude above me said at all.

60:40 Peach.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Why the heck is Ally posting here?

I have a few comments.

When you guys are dairing us during a float, as Ill knows, I can belay oos if you space it wrong, or nair oos. I can have Nana only nair oos and Popo can follow Peach into something else.

Basically camp. That's a lot of what you got. Our bair is faster than your fair I think.

Never float ABOVE platforms. That's mega dumb. Upairupairupair.

And I agree with what Cheese said about squall. It's exactly like nado cause if we do it falling, you could punish with like upair even LOL. If we do it rising there's nothing you can do.

I think it's slightly in favor of Peach, if not even.

Any questions or objections?

Nicole

Smash Champion
wow. we're getting celebrities in here

65:35 ICs, 6:4 if the Peach bone-walks every pull, every time.

ICs can evade shield pressure by rolling to your further side and tilting (ie: if you're on the back on their head with dair, we roll to your back side) and ftilt angled up or utilt or just nair to end the pressure.

I agree, they have alot of ways to deal with shield pressure. But it doesn't take too much wear and tear on the shield for Nana to get poked. And Peach shouldn't stay on their shield, if you know what I mean. She should retreating dair and react to what they do - if you retreat dair sometimes the ICs wil try to do something OOS and you can do another dair. But yeah, they certainly have ways of dealing with her, and she can't pressure them as well as she would like because she can get grabbed.

True, :(. However, if Peach lets Popo get close to Nana, you will be in for a few surprises ranging from synchporting away to eating a belay through your aerial, though.

Right. Peach should lay off Nana after a couple hits. Even so, if Peach takes a hit or two it isn't the end of the world. Percent hardly matters against ICs, you can be at 0 and lose your entire stock or at 90 and keep it.

Pretty much Peach's only real advantage in this MU.

Yes and no. If you hit squall with a turnip from the top or bottom, you have a 50-50 shot of hitting Nana, which forces Popo into freefall, and that's the stock. Peach has no answer to belay or descending squall, though.

That's why I said "rather" well ;) She can also just win the race to Nana and hit her with a nair or fair. Typically if Nana gets hit offstage Popo has to chase after her and Peach is already pretty much there. If they're both offstage and squall-ing she can fair them as well, it trades hits (if she doesnt space well) but that would be a small price to pay...kinda depends on where they're doing squall though, obviously she isn't that mobile offstage and she can't hit them at every angle. I agree with you though, she wont be gimping the ICs that easily - she shouldnt depend on beating them that way.

Only if the IC does it wrong. It's exactly like tornado in that regard

It's still SDI-able, so Peach can probably just sdi and punish with a bair or something before the IC's are even done with their move.

This is the only reason ICs beat Peach. We can, using our aerials, force you to use your entire float time, then when you're landing, use a desynch to prevent it, and then move in slowly while you're out of jumps/float.

But Peach's fair outranges all their aerials. It's not like Peach has one linear pattern she can follow either. She can fullhop dair on any aerial ICs choose to do ('cept uair). I agree their aerials are pretty decent against her but they aren't Marth's aerials - Peach outspaces them and beats them pretty easily - she can float and wait for them to make a move as well. I'm not saying your theory wouldn't work, I'm just saying it wouldn't work on a good Peach who actually uses mixups. Of course if the Peach just floats directly at you, you can do this.

Safe turnips are Peach's best tool here, especially if the ICs are already holding one. They're VERY hard to deal with while desynched, which is how good ICs will spend most of their time with Peach. Peach has a few approach gimmicks, but outside of that, I'm not sure how Peach can hope to approach. All of her aerials but dair get pivot grabbed. She cannot land anywhere near the ICs without getting grabbed, because her usual lag-free tricks like jab after fair don't work (Nana grab armors it). Peach has a very hard time dealing with desynched bair (which, at perfect range trades or beats Peach's fair)/blizzard wall camping.

It is hard to approach a campy IC player but it certainly can be done, Peach is one of the characters in this game that has something of an approach game. It's not like she can't pull a turnip from a long way away, hang onto it, and bring it up to you. Turnips are good at pressuring shields as well, Peach can float above the ICs, throw the turnip down at their shields, and dair (if they're using blizzard, she can just use the turnip to get through that) - if this doesn't shieldpoke, the ICs roll away and the process starts again, except this time the ICs might be in the air, trying to keep Peach away because their shields are low, and that's where Peach wants them, imo. I play with IC's all the time, Nana gets shieldpoked, there's no 2 ways around that. So the ICs HAVE to blizzard or take to the air, and yeah they can desynch bair, but what if I fullhop dair? What if I float back and avoid the bair, and hit them with something else?

This is all theorycraft, which is fine. However I think you underestimate the amount of tricks Peach has (you're from the EC so I'm not surprised - no offense to the EC, they're just the most notorious group who's like, "if your char isn't A tier or better, they're trash and every A tier beats every other tier at least 4:6"). That's just the mentality. In any case, you must realize that Peach won't just try doing the same things over and over, and she doesn't have to. Just like the ICs can choose a variety of things to defend against her approaches (blizzard, aerials, shield), Peach can choose a variety of ways to approach (dair, turnips, float). This at least says the MU is 50:50, which I could agree to (although in my heart I'd still think it in Peach's favor).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for contributing Cheese, you made alot of good points. We hardly ever get any knowledgeable players of the other character to contribute to these discussions so we really do appreciate it. I agreed with alot of your points and you agreed with alot of mine, I just don't know how you can call ICs nearly unwinnable (65:35) for Peach where I can call it at least 55:45 (maybe 6:4) in Peach's favor. :psycho: Ratios are gay.

@piggyman, yeah you can pivot grab peach out of fair, but it is pretty hard, and she shouldn't really be approaching a grounded ICs with fair anyways.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
i wouldnt really know anything about this matchup, i got ***** by dark peach in friendlies when i was bad, beat adhds sandbagging peach g1 of a tourny set, and got ***** by nicole when i was drunk/sober and pissed off.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Nicole:

IC bair has almost EXACTLY the same range as Peach fair. You have a few extra pixels on fair past bair, but its definitely close enough where we can space you out with bair because of its speed. We also have some really cool tricks out of bair for fighting Peach, which you'll see Jordan using soon, I'm sure.

65:35 isn't unwinnable. I have MK v ICs at 65:35 or even 7:3 on neutrals in MKs favor, for example. 6:4 is a SLIGHT advantage, 9:1 is unwinnable.

Writing "how to beat ICs" is fun, it helps my game :)

Nicole

Smash Champion
^yeah, but Peach's fair protects her - she has no hurtbox on the entire range of the move. Does ICs bair have that? If not then her fair should hit them out of it no prob. and jordan doesnt need any tricks against me, lol, he just has to let me have a 70% lead with 30 seconds left and i'll be sure to throw it away with unnecessary unsafe approaches :/

prawn why is your name piggyman....? oh yeah you got banned, nvm

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Yea, bair is disjointed just as much if not more than Peach's fair. And if an IC gets this new trick down, this matchup just might become downright unwinnable :3

Nicole

Smash Champion
^lol are you gonna tell me what it is or do i have to get ***** by jordan first? (or can i just go on your char boards haha)

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Well, we hide stuff pretty well on our boards, but it's there, and there's a video, so have fun.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Nicole said:
I agreed with alot of your points and you agreed with alot of mine, I just don't know how you can call ICs nearly unwinnable (65:35) for Peach where I can call it at least 55:45 (maybe 6:4) in Peach's favor. :psycho: Ratios are gay.
Agreed.

I mean, the basic character concepts solidifies at worst a 50:50. The character who flies is gonna beat the character who's grounded.

Maybe disadvantageous on FD. But that's FD. If there are platforms, the Peach always has the option to float away and double jump back on.

Oh, and I always forget about footstooling to safety! Though getting that close to them scares the **** out of me.

Teh Future

Smash Master
so Cheese thinks this matchup is in the Ice Climbers' favor?

Interesting.
cheese also thinks that mk is ics only bad matchup at 75-35.

lol cheese.

anyways most ics play this matchup stupid its not really that bad bc we do have an answer for everything peach does. it mostly comes down to whether peach gets grabbed or kills nana at 60 from fair (****ing *****). if that doesnt happen ics will usually win bc upsmash/bair kills and are pretty easy to hit with. idk prob slightly in peaches favor or even. i dont really think its 6-4 tho

gantrain05

Smash Master
ok first off. Bair is not disjointed just to clear that up, its only good if they are chasing u in the air, never ever ever Bair someones shield, your just asking to get grabbed.

second, you really overrate float in this MU, u DO NOT want to float around all day and think your safe, in fact, it actually leaves u open to blizzards and whatever creative combos the IC's are gonna do, once u get hit by a Desynched blizzard while your floating, you are probably either gonna get grabbed, or at the minimum suffer more damage than you should have. You have to pick your floats very carefully and learn how to apply SAFE shield pressure.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I seriously doubt it's 60/40.

The fact that if ICs get ONE grab in, we lose a stock. It's not impossible to get grabbed, really.

I will have to go with 55/45 Peach.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ Agreed. 55/45 is such a stupid and vague ratio.

Strong advantage (equivalent of a hard counter/impossible matchup, although the latter would be stretching it in almost all cases)
Advantage (self explanatory, a general 60-40 advantage)
Even (dur)
Disadvantage (opposite of above)
Strong disadvantage (opposite of above)

That's what I generally use, anyway.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet

Ok, so I found this really easy and fast way to grab break. First of off, you need set your d-pad to anything that helps you grab break. I set mines to shield and jump. When you get grabbed all you gotta do is use your index finger to hold the control stick in a direction like down, then start rotating the d-pad with your thumb and rapidly hit the c-stick with your other thumb. The direction you're hitting the c-stick must be different than the direction you're holding the control stick. This alone will break out of grabs almost instantly. You don't even need to rotate the control stick, just holding it makes hitting the c-stick count as 3 inputs every time. Doing this method also leaves a lot of your fingers free to hit other buttons like L+R and the face buttons to break out even faster!

This is really effective against the IC's and Olimar! Makes it really hard for IC's to cg at lower percents and makes it impossible for Olimar to throw after a grab at low percents. TRY THIS!!!
And there's also this

Video demonstrating how fast this method is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pHZUJGG0k

I grab break at 200% in less than a second.
I was thinking of doing this ages ago but never got round to it cause I didn't think it was that important

After watching this though, it looks like it could be very powerful stuff
Obviously very handy for breaking out of IC's chaingrabs and there's no reason to not alter your control setup because honestly, who uses the D Pad for anything other than taunting which is unimportant?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I refuse to give up "Lalalalalala" on principle. Might as well play that hoe Zelda.

dun get grabbed nugguh

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Oh Meno you -

You know what. Insert your own ruddy B Stick joke here. I'm tired of doing it for you for myself

WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME MENO AHHHUHUHUHHHH
And now I can't find any squid Pokemon to go after this post to compliment your love of Blooper. This day just gets worse and worse

Xyless

Smash Master
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet

And there's also this

I was thinking of doing this ages ago but never got round to it cause I didn't think it was that important

After watching this though, it looks like it could be very powerful stuff
Obviously very handy for breaking out of IC's chaingrabs and there's no reason to not alter your control setup because honestly, who uses the D Pad for anything other than taunting which is unimportant?
Guess I'll have to add that to my arsenal. I already have B-stick, after all.

Top Bottom