• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Ups | 3.5 Samus General MU Discussion

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Give KLit no heed, sboles, he's literally not worth the stains in his undies.

I'm curious, what match-ups does wolf struggle in that you feel Samus would do well in. I don't really know Wolf's strengths with regard to many other characters all that well.
I'm not sure. There is no local PM scene near me, so if I want to play PM at a higher level I have to go out of state. The only PM players I know are my 2 best friends. So really the only match ups I know are v. Roy and Lucas/Ness. On the wolf boards, the recommended secondary was "anyone with a projectile".

Not kidding.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sheik is probably a better secondary, easier to pick up and generally easier to understand MU's you win (Samus has some MU's that take a lot of patience, awareness, and tedious spacing to edge out a win. Sheik goes up and grabs)

Samus should be a person's main, not a secondary really imo

Reason Sheik comes to mind, is that the main characters I think Wolf might have trouble (of any kind, including 50-50's that might take some work) tend to get covered by her well. All Fire Emblem chars probably don't enjoy Sheik, someone ridic fast and wild-card like Captain Falcon or Sonic is probably covered better as Sheik (if you're not balls confident in your Samus), etc.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Sheik is probably a better secondary, easier to pick up and generally easier to understand MU's you win (Samus has some MU's that take a lot of patience, awareness, and tedious spacing to edge out a win. Sheik goes up and grabs)

Samus should be a person's main, not a secondary really imo

Reason Sheik comes to mind, is that the main characters I think Wolf might have trouble (of any kind, including 50-50's that might take some work) tend to get covered by her well. All Fire Emblem chars probably don't enjoy Sheik, someone ridic fast and wild-card like Captain Falcon or Sonic is probably covered better as Sheik (if you're not balls confident in your Samus), etc.
Thanks for the info. I'll start messing around with sheik to see what I can do.

To the sheik boards!

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
It's pretty free. I go back and forth with Octorok and Aki and I would say they both outclass me. Keep him out with missiles and be aggressive with ice fair and dair as edge guards.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Ness fair has incredible disjoint on it. You need to respect that his neutral is going to be a lot of DJC fair, dash attack, and PK fire. He has trouble moving through the air quickly, though, so you can bait out fairs and stuff and then punish hard with grabs or upsmash or anything of the sort.

Basically, you need to tread the neutral with caution, but you've got hard punishes on him, and he can't do much to combat missiles effectively, so you can keep him locked down (although Aki gets cheeky with bat now and again). You outspace him on the ground by a lot, and his piss poor shield pressure game doesn't do anything to you. Just keep moving around, separate and space, and then punish anything bad from the Ness. It's pretty straight forward.

Litt

Samus
Ness fair has incredible disjoint on it. You need to respect that his neutral is going to be a lot of DJC fair, dash attack, and PK fire. He has trouble moving through the air quickly, though, so you can bait out fairs and stuff and then punish hard with grabs or upsmash or anything of the sort.

Basically, you need to tread the neutral with caution, but you've got hard punishes on him, and he can't do much to combat missiles effectively, so you can keep him locked down (although Aki gets cheeky with bat now and again). You outspace him on the ground by a lot, and his piss poor shield pressure game doesn't do anything to you. Just keep moving around, separate and space, and then punish anything bad from the Ness. It's pretty straight forward.
His shield pressure game is anything but piss poor, played some pretty good nesses with strange ass shine like pressure that was redic and the match literally became Up B OoS for me, this MU is ass for samus because she has no guarentee kills, ness can just spam bair in neutral and go for a bthrow past like 130

Litt

Samus
Terrible, and awful, respectively.
It could definitely just be match-up inexperience for me though.
toon link is worse than zelda imo, just need to di out of up throw up B or d throw up b, cant remem which kills us, but we can up b out of it at higher percents, as for zelda, just hold a charge shot and bait out nyrules love over and over and space with zair to antagonize

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
toon link is worse than zelda imo, just need to di out of up throw up B or d throw up b, cant remem which kills us, but we can up b out of it at higher percents, as for zelda, just hold a charge shot and bait out nyrules love over and over and space with zair to antagonize
so maybe use homing missles on zelda? and for toon link i think there should be something to deal with his air game

Litt

Samus
so maybe use homing missles on zelda? and for toon link i think there should be something to deal with his air game
Thank you for your insightful comment on how to deal with the zelda MU... use side b... WOWW sucha good idea :/.... like dude thats one out of many options you need to be able to switch between... along with short hop zairs, smash missile cancels where you do them late so the missile doesnt come out but the animation does so it baits out neutral bs from zelda... ect

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
Thank you for your insightful comment on how to deal with the zelda MU... use side b... WOWW sucha good idea :/.... like dude thats one out of many options you need to be able to switch between... along with short hop zairs, smash missile cancels where you do them late so the missile doesnt come out but the animation does so it baits out neutral bs from zelda... ect
Thats kinda why im asking... to get a more detailed answer than " just hold a charge shot and bait out nyrules love over and over and space with zair to antagonize"

Litt

Samus
Thats kinda why im asking... to get a more detailed answer than " just hold a charge shot and bait out nyrules love over and over and space with zair to antagonize"
Honestly though, its the best way to approach the match up, individuals that like to use reflectors like docs cape, and zeldas neutral B.... will be more than willing to use it when you have a full charge shot in the tank, its a simple strategy of baiting out attacks without having to ever do anything or approach... but again this is just a basic strategy which you can think of all on your own, and is a way to approach the MU... i gave you my input and if you didnt like it or think it was enough, you could ask for more or private message me, instead of getting snippy or inspiring discussion with your sub par comments of what else to do in the MU

@ ph00tbag ph00tbag the kid joined tuesday..... cmon

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Which is exactly why you should be accommodating. If you might stop sucking your own **** long enough to actually read his question outside of the context where everyone just wants to talk **** about you (which, admittedly, is difficult for me as well), you'd realize he was demonstrating genuine curiosity--wide-eyed naïveté, even. He really, truly, actually wanted to know if his idea was good or not. And you didn't even actually answer his question, you just threw vile, vitriolic irony at him, because you assumed he spoke out of turn.

Not to mention the ramifications of using actual homing missiles that come out may actually be worth experimenting with. Although with Nayru's being landing cancelable, it may be a very limited option. Something to keep in the lapel pocket, at least.

Last edited:

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
Well see I thought that I might learn more by making an account and talking with those who know more but I think I might just stick with reading...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
KLit's just an asshole, dude. You're welcome to keep on posting; just ignore him when he gets like this.

Your idea's largest flaw is that Zelda has a reasonably safe reflector, meaning the missiles will often just be thrown back at you. It may be worthwhile, though, to look in to spacings where you could nair through the reflected missile and punish Nayru's love. I don't really have access to a low-lag set-up, and a partner who won't get bored just labbing out spacing and stuff, otherwise I'd do more research, but you should try that out.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
KLit's just an *******, dude. You're welcome to keep on posting; just ignore him when he gets like this.

Your idea's largest flaw is that Zelda has a reasonably safe reflector, meaning the missiles will often just be thrown back at you. It may be worthwhile, though, to look in to spacings where you could nair through the reflected missile and punish Nayru's love. I don't really have access to a low-lag set-up, and a partner who won't get bored just labbing out spacing and stuff, otherwise I'd do more research, but you should try that out.
its not something to try out... that works and you can easily deduce that yourself, stop writing off what I say and calling me KLit or we are going to have a problem... again... and no he is better off just reading to begin with until he gets to a point where he can contribute

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
KLit's just an *******, dude. You're welcome to keep on posting; just ignore him when he gets like this.

Well I really like what pooch was doing where he breaks down the whole matchup and analyses it. I feel that that information is very helpful for me and I'm sure there are others who can greatly benefit from it as well. Not to say that your strats aren't also helpful barbie, cause I like the way you simplify large amounts of experience and data into viable strategies.
I really just wanted to suggest more matchups to be discussed so that I can expand my knowledg. Wasnt sure how active this thread was. I'm not overly offended by barbie as I realize that people often times have inflated egos online and say things that they normally wouldn't due to there being minimal consequences.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
its not something to try out... that works and you can easily deduce that yourself, stop writing off what I say and calling me KLit or we are going to have a problem... again... and no he is better off just reading to begin with until he gets to a point where he can contribute
Or you can answer his questions without acting like he's a stain. Until you start treating people with respect here, I'm going to keep calling you KLit, because changing your name doesn't change who you are.

Litt

Samus
Or you can answer his questions without acting like he's a stain. Until you start treating people with respect here, I'm going to keep calling you KLit, because changing your name doesn't change who you are.
Ok **** face, ill start calling you that every time you call me KLit, you are a sub par player at best, and you have no right to question or curb my actions

Litt

Samus
Well I really like what pooch was doing where he breaks down the whole matchup and analyses it. I feel that that information is very helpful for me and I'm sure there are others who can greatly benefit from it as well. Not to say that your strats aren't also helpful barbie, cause I like the way you simplify large amounts of experience and data into viable strategies.
I really just wanted to suggest more matchups to be discussed so that I can expand my knowledg. Wasnt sure how active this thread was. I'm not overly offended by barbie as I realize that people often times have inflated egos online and say things that they normally wouldn't due to there being minimal consequences.
This thread isnt that active, mainly because PM is dead for now (yippie), go play melee if you want a fun game that you can actually improve in, instead of the game doing all the tech for you, if you need help with any specific match ups you are more than welcome to message me and ask, Phoot feels its his job to police me so I dont get too mean but really hes just making an enemy of myself by doing so... again.... Of course I have an inflated ego online, mainly because I know samus better than almost anyone else on an informational standpoint, but on a one on one, I am much more helpful and less condescending ^_^

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Ok **** face, ill start calling you that every time you call me KLit, you are a sub par player at best, and you have no right to question or curb my actions
What does my skill level have to do with you treating new players with something approaching tact? Like, at least a baseline level of respect for their basic dignity? You can call me what you want. You can think of me what you want. I've been called worse by people I have a lot more respect for than you, so I couldn't possibly care less. But anytime you treat new players like **** for literally no reason, I'm going to call you out on it, because that ****'s plain unacceptable.

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
This thread isnt that active, mainly because PM is dead for now (yippie), go play melee if you want a fun game that you can actually improve in, instead of the game doing all the tech for you, if you need help with any specific match ups you are more than welcome to message me and ask, Phoot feels its his job to police me so I dont get too mean but really hes just making an enemy of myself by doing so... again.... Of course I have an inflated ego online, mainly because I know samus better than almost anyone else on an informational standpoint, but on a one on one, I am much more helpful and less condescending ^_^
So you're clearly an intelligent person, and you aknowledge that you're an asshole online. Maybe you could change the way you say things in order to more accurately communicate. In this grass roots community its extremely vital to attract new players and give a warm welcome rather than make them feel like trash. For instance, I need a lot of help and practice with playing samus in smash bros, but I'm also a very intelligent person nonetheless and shouldn't be treated as though I'm incompetent just for my lack of skill in a game.
If the smash community is to grow (and more importantly I think the samus community) then you have to accommodate the skill gap an encourage improvement rather than discourage, else your further existence serve only to drag the community down as well as give it a bad rep.
I just want you to realize what your posts look like to new smashboard members and how it affects the desire to join this community which is not supposed to be exclusive to people who have mastered their gameplay.

You don't need to reply to this I just want to make sure you get the message, just food for thought...

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
So you're clearly an intelligent person, and you aknowledge that you're an ******* online. Maybe you could change the way you say things in order to more accurately communicate. In this grass roots community its extremely vital to attract new players and give a warm welcome rather than make them feel like trash. For instance, I need a lot of help and practice with playing samus in smash bros, but I'm also a very intelligent person nonetheless and shouldn't be treated as though I'm incompetent just for my lack of skill in a game.
If the smash community is to grow (and more importantly I think the samus community) then you have to accommodate the skill gap an encourage improvement rather than discourage, else your further existence serve only to drag the community down as well as give it a bad rep.
I just want you to realize what your posts look like to new smashboard members and how it affects the desire to join this community which is not supposed to be exclusive to people who have mastered their gameplay.

You don't need to reply to this I just want to make sure you get the message, just food for thought...
Im retired for the most part from competitive play, I had no one to hold my hand, but instead got similar comments when I first joined, I learned everything through research, you can do the same and having your hand held doesnt help you, the best way I can help you is to tell you.... to treat your game like a project for school you want a 100% on... think about strategy, what you want to accomplish, what you know your opponent wants to accomplish and how to construct a plan generally around your own character to fit each match up, that is really all it takes to be a good player, that and practice the execution of movement and spacing attacks, everything else can and should be done yourself...because this is your play style, your samus, and your experience in the community. This community is no longer grass roots, and the welcome I give is only present in person, online I could give a crap about every new player that asks and or wants help unless it is directed at me specifically and asked in a nice and polite way, as for you being an intelligent person, you very may well be... prove it by doing the research and understanding the game at the most fundamental level to construct what you deem to be a viable and adaptive strategy for your samus. I hate the majority of the community because they are stupid, unhygienic and very cliquey... I joined because I enjoy the game, I love my character and I got good because I wanted to win, if you work your ass off you can be just as good if not better than me in a year or less

Last edited:

Aksissilva

Smash Rookie
OK I think I see where you are coming from and that totally makes sense now. I think I totally misunderstood what smashboards was for. I can see how since you were treated unfairly its only fair to pass that on and it makes you angry to see people expecting to have everything handed to them.
On a side note(and my original intention in posting) I was wondering if more matchups could be discussed rather than trying to shorten and simplify the answer too much and have more of an open dialogue on each aspect.

Also barbie how the hell do you expect people to take you seriously when your profile pic is a barbie doll for god sake

Last edited:

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Alright kids, since you all can't keep a damn thread on topic, I need to type this whole thing out on my phone to keep stuff in order.

First, let's discuss Toon Link. In my opinion, Samus wins this MU due to crawl and ice mode. Every toon link I play seems to have trouble locking me down with projectiles, and I've learned how to manage my spacing and exchanges with Link via a lot of play against N1NJA. Basically, you obviously want to stay on the ground, and you want to smother Toon Link as much as possible. Grabs aren't too bad in this MU, because a lot of his kit is laggy to start up and end, so you can punish dumb boomerang play if you learn how to bait it out. Little bugger dies way faster than Link, also, so it's pretty easy to manage. I'll touch on this MU more when I get to a computer that's worth using.

Zelda is a character that I'll use both modes on. Fire fair is just so easy to put percent on, and I don't like the lag of ice fair in case I miss, because of Zelda's kicks. I space myself to be able to pull shield out against any Nayru's love plays, and I can power shield against that move pretty consistently now. Basically, if you're gonna throw a projectile down range, worry more about the spacing and being able to play defensively rather than using a homing missile and hoping it doesn't hit you.

Like Toon Link, once you close the gap this MU is an easy win. If she can't set up with Din's, it can be hard for most Zelda players to do anything. Once I get her to around like 75% or so, I'll go ice and start going for set ups to fair or upsmash.

Litt

Samus
OK I think I see where you are coming from and that totally makes sense now. I think I totally misunderstood what smashboards was for. I can see how since you were treated unfairly its only fair to pass that on and it makes you angry to see people expecting to have everything handed to them.
On a side note(and my original intention in posting) I was wondering if more matchups could be discussed rather than trying to shorten and simplify the answer too much and have more of an open dialogue on each aspect.

Also barbie how the hell do you expect people to take you seriously when your profile pic is a barbie doll for god sake
Its a barbie doll in the metroid zero suit samus suit.... Aka I am ken... and the character I play... Is barbie, its an ironic tag because the tag I originally used... KLit was not accepted by the majority of TOs and Streamers for offensive reasons.... despite my name being... Ken Litt. I think you have a poor understanding of what a match up really is, and I do not mean that in any negative way. The absoulte best way to define a match up is the pit falls, and benefits for each character, that constructs the neutral game of what to avoid, from your opponent, what your opponent to avoid from you, and your basic set of what you do best, fastest and has the longest range in the MU, work your way from long range to short range and see what works where and why. Some match ups you are going to lose the zoning game, and you need to have your close quarters combat ready to go and in top shape or you are going to get bopped, and some match ups you just need to understand that. HOWEVER... how you approach those match up and what execution you decide on... IS HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME, that is your strategy and something you should be doing on your own, because it is what seperates you from pooch, and pooch from chevy.... chevy from myself.... ECT...

HOWEVER going back to our own tool kit... there are a number of things that most samus's dont know about or use effectively, like the late L canceled Nair giving +1 on shield for jab pressure to follow, or HOW TO EVEN USE JAB pressure... because there is something called jab cancels which allow you to single jab much faster without letting the second one come out

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
nope, i do what i want
Hey, so Sonic gets f**ked by samus right? You should know, right? A good Samus f*cked you hard, amirite? I mean, we've already gone over the matchup, so this is common knowledge for all us samus mains, so you being here contributes nothing to matchup discussions.

But seriously... Samus is awesome. Few matchups really make a Samus main go "I need a secondary." As for characters who do, maybe... I only got Ike. Is Ike Samus's worst matchup?

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Geez, the Sonic:Samus MU isn't horrible, is it?
No. I was just a bit angry when I said that and then I blew up at that guy. The matchup is rather close but I think a bit in samus' s favor. Bomb is apparently really good for samus. Low land canceled missiles force sonic in the air to eat an aerial or somrthing if sonic spaces poorly. Nair can catch sonic since it lasts long and outprioritizes a lot of sonic's moves.

Sonic's spin dash goes under standing missiles and higher missiles, outspeeds samus in all regards, has a spring to mess up samus tether recoveries, can't be crouch canceled against, and I'm sure there are other things. There are posts elsewhere which go more in depth, but I'm on mobile so it is hard to do things.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Ike is bad, but barely, there are many more worse matchups for her.

Samuch

Smash Cadet
My buddy is keeping track of his Ike wins. 40 wins in a row so far. Most of those are me playing wolf and getting hit ONCE and not being able to make it back. I'm going to use Samus more, because I am actually doing better against him with her. All I got is missile spam though. hahhaha

**** Ike, and **** the rest of the swordies while we're at it!

With that said, it's totally my lack of patience that makes me lose and not the MU.

Last edited:

Orion Prime

Smash Cadet
Can I get some insights against ganon? I play against a ganon quite a bit, and he pretty much dominates me on a regular basis. We play each other a ton, so he knows my tendencies very well, but we always finish similar places at local tournaments so the skill gap between us isn't massive. In 3.5 it seems like many of the things samus excels at, ganon can not only counter them but flat out overwhelm. Things that stick out to me:
- Zoning - Samus has a a good jab and ftilt for quick hits and maintaining space. Ganon's jab and ftilt are stronger, longer, and quicker, so he can overcome this strength. Zair is also good for spacing, but he can just CC sideB/downB to punish even if he's hit at long range with the tip.
- OoS - Samus has good OoS options w upB, nair, WD. Ganon's crazy knockback on shield often pushes me out of upB range, his excellent jab/ftilt is great for pressure and can hit OoS nair attempts that aren't super crisp, and his sideB/downB can catch WD OoS as well.
- Aerials - Samus has pretty good aerials, especially nair, to intercept people with. Ganon's fair, bair, and dair out-range and utterly demolish all samus' aerials, except ice fair which can be successful w good spacing.
- Dthrow - Ganon's dthrow combos into 1 or more of his aerials up until pretty high percents against samus (100%ish maybe). Its just a free like 25-30% every dthrow. I haven't discovered a good DI option yet to get away from this, other than up at high percents.

Missiles def help, but ganon's that are proficient powershielders really piss on my parade. Comments?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Missiles are only good in the Ganon match-up while he's recovering. But it's not because of powershield, it's because of fair, which will go right through the missiles, and hit you in the face. Better to just waveland back.

The majority of the Ganon match-up comes down to footsies, and knowing what you can whiff punish with what. If he likes ftilts, anticipate the tilts, and punish with Fsmash. Fsmash is actually a big part of the match-up, because it's good for whiff punishing Ganon's entire arsenal. Obviously, you will want to poke occasionally to keep Ganon from getting to close with utilt, ftilt, etc.

If you can finagle it, try to bait Ganon into a bad spacing with your back to the ledge, and dsmash. Another good way to get dsmashes is to bait Gerudo Dragon and CC it, because that move is actually ass if you're not in the air. I don't recall the percents this works till, but your opponent shouldn't be using that move if you're on the ground. Don't do this. I am dumb. These strats are pretty strong because they can get Ganon offstage, where the match-up goes from 6:4 Ganon to 9:1 Samus.

For most of the reasons you gave, this isn't a very good match-up for Samus, but if you're patient, and pay very, very close attention to things like start-up animations and jumpsquat, you can make a lot of headway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom