• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Chart Project 2015 - Calling Rosalina & Luma Mains!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Hello Rosalina boards,

I'm Zareidriel. Over in this thread a guy called Assassannerr made a matchup chart, and asked people to help fill it out. It seems like it would be a cool thing to have. With once glance you could have a rough idea of a matchup. It won't be perfect, but for our first go at it in 2015 we're aiming for "somewhat functional."

So here's what I'm going to do. Go to every Character Discussion board, and ask the folks there if they wouldn't mind contributing. To submit one vote, you'll have to fill out one of these:

////////////******
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Greninja
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Luigi
Mario
Dr. Mario
Marth
Lucina
Metaknight
Ness
Olimar
Palutena
Pikachu
Pit & Dark Pit
Peach
Zelda
R.O.B.
Robin
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zero Suit Samus
Megaman
Pacman
Sonic
Ryu
Roy
Mewtwo
Lucas
Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner
******//////////

Mark each character with a + for a match where Rosalina HAS THE ADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a - for a match where Rosalina HAS THE DISADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a number 0 for a match you feel is very even.

NOTE THAT I AM ONLY TAKING VOTES FROM MEMBERS WITH Rosalina IN THEIR PROFILE BAR. It can be as either "Wii U Main" or "3DS Main". But if Rosalina is in neither one of those slots when I count the votes on Friday, Nov 13, it won't be counted.

(Yes, for the avid democrats out there, that means you can vote for one other character as well.)

Like I said, they won't be perfect, and each board will probably be a little biased toward their own respective character. But the results should be interesting regardless.

If this thing is successful maybe we'll do a revised version in 2016.

Thanks very much for participating! We need as many votes as possible for each character so please submit a ballot!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Wow Rosalina players are very thorough! Thanks for pointing that out, but I'd rather all data from the Matchup Chart Project comes from the same sources.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Truthfully, the match-up analysis threads really don't get enough contributions, so a lot of the results are more from personal experiences, if anything.

I will tell you right now though, that the way the table is designed at the match-up analysis directory thread is more thorough, since it tries to give you a better idea on how good or how bad a match-up is for Rosalina; this is quite identical to how Melee's match-up table is handled.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
You're right. But right now we ALREADY have people saying how this is impossible, results are too arbitrary, etc. If we made it weighted advantage/disadvantage, those sentiments would only get worse. And there is such a colossal number of characters. I think we should go with a basic form for now, and consider weighted advantage/disadvantage for a future Matchup Chart -if- this one is successful.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Use some website where you can set up questionaire (or what it's called), and just ask about each character with a number of different alternatives, then get a number of players to fill it in and you've got some data. Sure might not be the most accurate but it's a start.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Sure that method could work. But this time around we'll go with this one, as long as we get participation we should see some interesting results.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You're right. But right now we ALREADY have people saying how this is impossible, results are too arbitrary, etc.
I tend to agree with these kind of sentiments. I don't see the point in match-up averages and what not right now, especially with the game still being updated by the development team. This chart will be out of date before long, and even without patches being a factor, I still think a lot of player bases for some characters (definitely Rosalina anyway) are underdeveloped.

With Rosalina specifically, I know there are a lot of wildly differing opinions on her MUs, mainly because this is a character that some people play in totally different ways, and sometimes only that way. For example, a Rosalina player who only plays defensively, is going to have a few troublesome MUs that another Rosalina player who covers more than just pure defense isn't going to have any problems with. For that reason, I don't see a point in making a chart, since right now, people seem to base it on how far their playstyle goes with that character, rather than how far the full potential of the character can go.

I might try to give a few MU ranks, but that would probably be against my better judgement, and I know I have a few seemingly unpopular opinions (mainly that I don't have a single MU that I consider bad or uphill for Rosalina right now, just evens and positives) that are going to get overshadowed either way..

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Well as of right now, we have no other votes, so yours would not get overshadowed! :grin:

I understand your sentiment. Everyone on Smashboards agrees with you. Things will change. Characters will be released. Sheik will get nerfed. It's kinda crazy but we're just doing it for fun, somewhat as an experiment, with just a tiny bit of hope that we might come out of all this with a handy little chart. Just don't treat it too seriously.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Not perfect, but hey, with enough knowledge and experience, some match ups are right.

Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong 0
Donkey Kong +
Duck Hunt +
Falco +
Fox +
Mr. Game & Watch 0
Ganondorf +
Greninja +
Ike +
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede +
Kirby +
Link 0
Little Mac 0
Lucario +
Luigi +
Mario +
Dr. Mario +
Marth 0
Lucina +
Metaknight -
Ness +
Olimar 0
Palutena +
Pikachu -
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach +
Zelda +
R.O.B. +
Robin +
Rosalina 0
Samus +
Sheik -
Shulk +
Toon Link +
Villager +
Wario 0
Wii Fit Trainer +
Yoshi 0
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman +
Pacman +
Sonic +
Ryu +
Roy +
Mewtwo +
Lucas 0
Brawler +
Swordfighter +
Gunner +

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Voting closes tomorrow at midnight. Get those ballots in!

You guys only have one vote! Are you gonna let Underhill hog all the glory?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i edited undrhills post except with my opinions

Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong 0
Donkey Kong +
Duck Hunt +
Falco +
Fox +
Mr. Game & Watch +
Ganondorf +
Greninja 0
Ike 0
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede +
Kirby +
Link 0
Little Mac 0
Lucario 0
Luigi +
Mario +
Dr. Mario +
Marth 0
Lucina +
Metaknight -
Ness +
Olimar 0
Palutena +
Pikachu -
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach 0
Zelda +
R.O.B. 0
Robin +
Rosalina 0
Samus +
Sheik -
Shulk +
Toon Link +
Villager +
Wario 0
Wii Fit Trainer +
Yoshi 0
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman +
Pacman +
Sonic +
Ryu +
Roy 0
Mewtwo +
Lucas +
Brawler +
Swordfighter +
Gunner +

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I know I have a few seemingly unpopular opinions
A few?

So Zareidriel Zareidriel
Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong +
Donkey Kong +
Duck Hunt +
Falco +
Fox +
Mr. Game & Watch +
Ganondorf +
Greninja 0
Ike -
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede 0
Kirby +
Link +
Little Mac 0
Lucario +
Luigi +
Mario +
Dr. Mario +
Marth 0
Lucina 0
Metaknight -
Ness +
Olimar -
Palutena +
Pikachu -
Pit & Dark Pit +
Peach -
Zelda +
R.O.B. 0
Robin +
Rosalina 0 (duh)
Samus +
Sheik -
Shulk +
Toon Link +
Villager +
Wario -
Wii Fit Trainer +
Yoshi +
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman 0
Pacman +
Sonic 0
Ryu -
Roy +
Mewtwo 0
Lucas +
Brawler +
Swordfighter +
Gunner +
(Miis are assumed 1111 default size. If otherwise, nullify those parts and pretend I didn't put anything)

Also I just realised how good Rosalina's matchup spread is. I always knew it was good, but a visual representation is crazy.

Easzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Easzy1
3DS FC
0361-8666-7175
Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong 0
Donkey Kong 0
Duck Hunt +
Falco 0
Fox 0
Mr. Game & Watch +
Ganondorf +
Greninja 0
Ike 0
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede +
Kirby +
Link +
Little Mac 0
Lucario +
Luigi +
Mario 0
Dr. Mario +
Marth +
Lucina +
Metaknight -
Ness +
Olimar 0
Palutena +
Pikachu 0
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach +
Zelda +
R.O.B. 0
Robin +
Samus +
Sheik -
Shulk +
Toon Link 0
Villager +
Wario +
Wii Fit Trainer 0
Yoshi 0
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman +
Pacman +
Sonic 0
Ryu 0
Roy +
Mewtwo +
Lucas +
Brawler 0
Swordfighter +
Gunner +

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
ThiS is considering the oppenent knows the rosa mu very very well and knows what all of his moves do to luma and how to get rid of him. I sometimes underestimate the rosa but this is my opinion I have been maining her since the 3ds version. The thing about rosa is that she has random bad and good match ups. It does not matter the tier, literally random.
Bowser Jr 0
Captain Falcon -
Charizard - almost all of his moves can easily put Luma into tumble
Diddy Kong +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong 0
Donkey Kong 0
Duck Hunt +
Falco 0
Fox 0
Mr. Game & Watch -
Ganondorf +
Greninja -
Ike -
Jigglypuff -
King Dedede - suprisngly hard for rosa
Kirby -
Link 0
Little Mac - hard versus one that knows fundamentals well
Lucario 0
Luigi +
Mario -
Dr. Mario 0
Marth -
Lucina 0
Metaknight - rosa worst match up
Ness +
Olimar - very very hard for rosa
Palutena - rosa can do nothing about her well spaced bair and it seperates luma and can out camp
Pikachu - rush down characters give her trouble
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach - rosa has to play offensive and is bad at that
Zelda +
R.O.B. - doesn't need to approach with lasers and gyro, can safely space out nair and it makes it very hard for rosa to do anything, his kill set ups kill rosa very early
Robin - levin sword slays luma, can force rosa to approach rosa can,t really shield anything because luma can still die, you also can't power shield most of Robin,s projectiles except for level 1 thunder
Samus- hard, force rosa to approach, kill rosa really early, separate luma easily
Sheik - fair fair
Shulk 0
Toon Link -
Villager +
Wario +
Wii Fit Trainer 0
Yoshi -
Zero Suit Samus -rosa dies at 40 every
Megaman 0
Pacman -
Sonic -
Ryu -