• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Chart

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Hey all! I made a matchup chart for Puff based on my own personal experience and opinions. If you're interested, you can find it here: http://qldsmash.com/Blog/Article/33/matchup-chart-jigglypuff

I believe you need to be from Australia or NZ to sign up for QLDsmash, so if you want to comment on the article I'll check the comments here too.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Game and Watch and Yoshi definitely beat Jigglypuff.
I was tossing up between ±0 and -½ for both of these matchups. I reckon both are quite even, but I'd be more likely to put Puff as disadvantageous than advantageous.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
a majority of puffs believe yoshi to be our worst MU, and G&W is one of our worst, being our worst in brawl.
I did play the Puff v G&W matchup back in Brawl, and I understand how truly awful it was. In smash 4 I am somewhat inexperienced in this matchup as the the G&W main in my local scene is not at my skill level. There is a really good G&W player in another state, but I haven't had the chance to play him yet. It's entirely possible that the matchup is worse than what I have experienced so far.

As for Yoshi, I really don't see where you're coming from. Sure, it's not positive for Puff, but the characters at the bottom completely wall Puff out, something Yoshi can do a tiny bit, but not excessively. I've played various Yoshis of different skill levels (both above and below me) around the country, and I don't think the matchup is even close to being Puff's worst matchup.

Last edited:

Runemark

Smash Rookie
NNID
Runemark
3DS FC
1392-4574-8322
Very surprised that you'd say Greninja is a favorable matchup for Puff. On the Gren boards this is generally considered our best matchup. This is due to our aerials having similar range, if not Gren outranging Puff. Thanks to WS, we can force you to approach or simply camp you. Furthermore, our best kill option (Up-Smash) is not only a devastating high vertical KB move, but also an excellent anti-air, which makes it ideal for combating a light, floaty character that spends 80% of its time in the air.

Furret24

Smash Master
I was tossing up between ±0 and -½ for both of these matchups. I reckon both are quite even, but I'd be more likely to put Puff as disadvantageous than advantageous.
Jigglypuff is generally considered by us Game and Watch mains to be his (:4gaw:) best MU, easily being 6.5:3.5 in our favor.

The most notable thing is that Game and Watch's usmash now almost completely ruins Jigglypuff's aerial approach due to it's large amount of invincibility frames. I think that in itself makes it favorable for him. He also is virtually impossible to gimp with Puff, he kills her early, outranges her, and he nullifys her aerial approach with usmash and dtilt. These are just the main reasons he beats her.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Honestly, the :4megaman: MU isn't as bad as you think. Still mostly in his favor, but his ranged options arent that effective against puff (who can just duck under crash bomb and metal blade gives puff a shield break option and a rest setup). His close range options are fairly easy to bait & Punish as well as long as you mix up your baits.

:4sonic: as well doesn't have an advantage because of his speed, if anything that's a disadvantage as trying to take advantage of that against puff ends with either a rest "counter" or a nair to the face. His advantage comes from throws that can easily kill puff as well as better kill options and frame data.

:4mewtwo: has far from the best roll in the game, it's a bit in the middle. Nair easily punishes a M2 that rolls a lot. In all honesty, while M2 got a buff with the recent patch, I still place puff as having a very minor advantage against him due to him being about as light as puff but far easier to hit. Shadow Ball is very easy for puff to avoid if you are paying attention to your jump count and watching. His tilts, up air, and bair are his best strengths against puff.

A decent/goood :4lucario: can mess puff up, I'd say the MU is fairly even though.

:4duckhunt: is, imo, easy to handle as puff but that might be because I main both. Clay Pigeon and Wild Gunman are both easy to avoid for puff, and nair/fair knock the can away with ease, even airborn(often back into his face). His recovery is also easily gimpable by puff. On top of that, his smashes have a nasty flaw where they can knock puff out of range of the kill hit. The only real threats from the pooch are up air, which is also easy to avoid as long as you have jumps remaining, and up tilt, which you can avoid by just not approaching from above. DH just requires patience and paying attention to animations.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Runemark Runemark :
I was tossing up between +½ and ±0 for Greninja, and I'm not really confident in keeping him at +½ so I'll change that. That said, when I've played against Greninja I haven't felt particularly pressured by his anti-air options. Australia lacks a top level Greninja main however, so this is probably a contributing factor. (Though one of our best players plays him as a secondary, and I was beating his Greninja even though he bodies me with WFT).

Furret24 Furret24 :
The Australian G&W main is saying a similar thing to you in the comment section of the article, so I'll make sure to get some games in with him next time I'm in Melbourne!

Kalierdarke Kalierdarke :
My Megaman analysis is mostly theory. I played one tournament game against the Australian Megaman at the previous major, and it was about as bad as I expected; bad enough for me to switch to my extremely subpar Rosalina. Perhaps it gets a bit better with matchup experience though.

Sydney has local power ranked Sonic and Mewtwo mains; I am fairly confident my analysis of these matchups is correct based on my experience against these players.

I'm heading to a semi-major in a couple weeks that will have several Lucario players in attendance, so I'll rethink the matchup after that.

Sydney has a DHD player, but it's the secondary of a player who is a solo Sonic main so I haven't really played his DHD very much. I'll ask for some games to get a better idea of the matchup.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Sydney has local power ranked Sonic and Mewtwo mains; I am fairly confident my analysis of these matchups is correct based on my experience against these players.

I wasn't saying Sonic doesn't have an advantage against jigglypuff. I was saying the advantage is not because of his speed.

Last edited:

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I wasn't saying Sonic doesn't have an advantage against jigglypuff. I was saying the advantage is not because of his speed.
I was referring to the entirety of my analysis, including the reasoning behind the matchup ratings.

The core of Puff's problems against Sonic come from his speed allowing Sonic to completely dictate how the neutral game plays out. It completely takes away any pressure she has. His kill options are only better because he can get in to use them at any time he chooses thanks to his speed. His throws and frame data are above average, but would not obscene on a character with average speed. Again these weaknesses are exacerbated by his speed dictating the neutral game.

As for Mewtwo, I do find that his disjoints (particularly bair and uair) are problematic, but I'm used to dealing with disjoints. I'm not sure how his rolls compare to other characters in terms of frame data, but in terms of pure distance it is longer than other characters by a noticeable margin. This is what makes it so hard to space correctly for a rest (or other) punish.

Last edited:

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Very surprised that you'd say Greninja is a favorable matchup for Puff. On the Gren boards this is generally considered our best matchup. This is due to our aerials having similar range, if not Gren outranging Puff. Thanks to WS, we can force you to approach or simply camp you. Furthermore, our best kill option (Up-Smash) is not only a devastating high vertical KB move, but also an excellent anti-air, which makes it ideal for combating a light, floaty character that spends 80% of its time in the air.
B-but we can just jump over a Water Shuriken..

Also, there is absolutely NO WAY we beat Ness.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I was referring to the entirety of my analysis, including the reasoning behind the matchup ratings.

The core of Puff's problems against Sonic come from his speed allowing Sonic to completely dictate how the neutral game plays out. It completely takes away any pressure she has. His kill options are only better because he can get in to use them at any time he chooses thanks to his speed. His throws and frame data are above average, but would not obscene on a character with average speed. Again these weaknesses are exacerbated by his speed dictating the neutral game.

Like I said, it's not sonic's speed that was giving him the advantage in that match. the second game was much more in sonic's favor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom