• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Re-Discussion: Wario

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Don't forget about our gimmicky chaingrab!!!

It works on

For sure:
BF (All platforms)
Brinstar (Top platform only IIRC)
Norfair (Every platform)
Delfino (Not sure...somebody test?)

Not sure:
Frigate
RC
PS1 (Neutral and all transformations)

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Wow, every platform on norfair? Craaaazy. I would want to counterpick that stage now if I wasn't sure wario would just jump around moar.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
One of, if not my favorite matchup. I find it easy to waft Pikas... you guys gotta really expect it when coming. I've found playing on PS1 easy against Pika... you guys might wanna cp a flatter stage against us.

Oh, and you guys could probably kill us easiest with nair. Get that uair to nair combo down, it's a pain against us. D:

But everything I said you guys probably already mentioned. From my experience, 40:60 Wario's favor. I gotta play PikaPika to get some real info on the matchup, tho. Hopefully I'll MM him next tourney I see him.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know that much about this mu. But I definitely think its in Wario's favor.

55:45 minimum 60:40 maximum.

Fairs work pretty well, but they can air dodge threw them to grab or some bs like jab or something. If wario comes at you with bike from the ground, f smash, you'll hit through the bike and hit him before he hits you, if your a little late, you'll trade hits and sweet spot him (I think, not sure about the sweet spotting part) or you can just back air him. Thats all I know. =\

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I feel like thunder is pretty useless in this matchup. Wario's aerial mobility is just too good to get hit by it and we might get punished for using it. Given that, I think we are really limited to three moves to kill him with until really high percents: fsmash, usmash, and nair. Like Kaylo already said, usmash is pretty risky because if Wario blocks it, he'll probably fsmash or grab us.

Warios always try to get behind me with fsmashes for some reason (maybe because of that darn good mobility they have). I've gotten to the point where if I'm about to space and fsmash to punish a Wario coming back to the stage, I turn around and smash the other direction in anticipation of him landing behind me.

Against dair camping I think our dsmash wins out. Someone will have to confirm or reject that because I'm not entirely sure.

That's all I can think to say that hasn't already been said. I think this matchup is annoying but winnable for sure. I know Wario has trouble killing us as well, but considering that we only have like 2 or 3 usable kill moves against him, I think he has an easier time. Maybe that's just the Pika bias in me. It's probably even considering we can knock him off the bike and gimp him.

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
if he recovers low with bike you can gimp him with well aimed thunder jolts lol

just really a lot of careful spacing and not getting hit by dumb stuff can win us this i think

a bit in his advantage 45:55 sounds good

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I know the down air grab works on wario on ps1 platforms for the nuetral part. not sure about the others though.

Roller

Smash Legend
I know the down air grab works on wario on ps1 platforms for the nuetral part. not sure about the others though.
Downair grab? Could you clarify? Do you mean grabbing him out of his Downair? Out of ours? Or are you referring to the extended dthrow platform cg?

*disclaimer* Honest question. Not trying to troll or w/e.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I have a video where it works...somewhere on my channel.

I think this matchup is even now, if anything slight in his favor. jab is amazing in this match when wario is off the level. Remember his up-b only sweetspots in a VERY SMALL AREA and if he doesn't get that you can jab him and then quick grab the edge and he dies :3 That's how I killed Malcolm at 220% at Pound.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Has anyone looked into grab release follow ups on Wario?

@ESAM - Trixie fits you so well. lol.

PZ

Smash Lord
Has anyone looked into grab release follow ups on Wario?

@ESAM - Trixie fits you so well. lol.
Why? I was told back then that we dont have auto air grab release on wario and im guessing here but...all our aerials obviously, ftilt angled up, utilt, and usmash.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can get an auto air release if you grab him over an edge and maybe on slants.

Roller

Smash Legend
We can get footstool which leads to QAL.
That is good to know. Except as Prime said it's only guaranteed if you catch him over a ledge. So to QAL them you'd have to hope that they hit jump during their mashing. Which enough people normally do, but most top warios are conscious of doing that. If I catch them off the ledge I usually nair them.

Top Bottom