• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA/PA NWC presents: Monstar's Monthlies March 20 Sovaman

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Monstar’s Monthlies and SGA(gaming committee) tournaments

Due to the relative success of Summer Smash, in which success is measured by feedback rather than turnout. I have decided to take your all advice and start a monthly (though most likely will be bi-monthly due to schedule restrictions.) tournament. So I am proud to present Monstar’s monthlies. Also look out for my free events (more details in a later section).

Sponsor(s)
I am obligated but also proud to announce that these events are sponsored by Ryan Deal of Pentester Technologies. For your entire computer repair, web design needs, and hosting desires see him. I mean it guys, he is a good friend of mine and he has single handedly built up his own company. Not to mention he was nice enough to sponsor these events. http://www.tekflash.com/

The free events at HCC are sponsored and run by the Student Government Association and Information Technology Association. http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/

Mission Statement

To increase and improve the local and regional competitive community.

Location(s)

North American Rod & Gun Club
12108 Belvedere Rd
Hagerstown, MD 21742
(301) 739-4440

It is right off of Jefferson. There should be a fairly big sign pointing the way. You will enter a gate. It will say private property but don't worry about that and keep going down the road. It is a fairly long road but it is straight so you shouldn't get lost. At the end of the road is the club.

HCC
11400 Robinwood Drive Hagerstown
Hagerstown, MD 21742
(301)790-2800

It is on Robinwood Drive. You can really miss it. This is where the free events are held. Usually they are held in the glass building (LRC) but sometimes are held in the classroom building (CLR).

Dates
TBA

HCC events
June 18th Call of Duty and Mario Kart

Schedule

11:00 registration
12:00 Brawl doubles/Melee Singles
2:30 Brawl doubles (if it didn’t already start)
4:30 Singles
7:30 Side Event
Tardiness will not be accepted.

Fees
Venue fee: 5
Melee Singles: 5(10)
Brawl singles: 5(10)
Brawl doubles: 10(20) per team
Side Event: 3-5
Two dollars off if you bring a wii+brawl/melee. Free if you bring a full setup.

Payout

Singles
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Doubles
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

IMPORTANT

* There is a bar for those over 21, however you are prohibited from getting alcohol until after the entire tournament is over and completed.

*Please do not bring any outside drinks or food into the club. You can order food at the clubs grill. Prices range from 3-7 dollars depending on what you order. It is your general bar food. Hamburgers, chicken tenders, fries, onion rings and so on.
*Don’t clog the toilets and please try to pick up after yourself. The club is kind enough to rent out their space to us. Should there be any property damage or large mess please see me, herfderf, or any of my other staff members immediately and we will take care of it.

Tantalus --------------------17
Waffle-----------------------14
genghis pot-----------------11
u-mos ----------------------08
honor -----------------------08
HerfDerf --------------------05
metalmonstar --------------05
relm -------------------------02
awedgy ---------------------02
neoimperfection------------00

Point System
We will be keeping track of how well you do by using a point system. Then next summer we will be awarding the person with the most points a slight bonus that has yet to be determined. By doing this we hope to ease bracket seeding, increase turnout, increase competition, and decreases forfeits/splits/so on.
Point system is as follow. It can be a little hard to follow but you will get it. We want it to be an equation so it isn’t some arbitrary thing.
Number of entrants * 2 (rounded up to the nearest 5) = Points possible
Points possible – ((Placing-1)*3)= points earned
For example say 16 people show up for a tournament. 16*2=32 ^ = 35. First place of course would get 35 points. Second place would get 35-((2-1)*3), 35-3= 32 points. Like I said you will get it.

Brawl Rules: (these are pretty standard)
* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* Sets best of 3
Finals will be played best of 5.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port or to save on time you could just agree to something on your own.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined by stock then percentage. If percentage is the same then a 1 stock tie breaker match will be played using the same characters and same stage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* Since Bowsercide is completely port dependent. Bowser automatically wins if he uses bowsercide to get the final KO regardless of port or who the game says to be the winner.

* You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

* Ganon/Dedede/Kirbyciding- these results in a one-stock run off, regardless of who the game says is the winner (unless the person broke out at the last second and kirby/d3 died first). Ganon losing/tieing is controller port dependent.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 200% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Players pick character. Double blind pick may be called
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned from counter picks or neutrals for the set
4. The first game is played on a stage that both players agree on. If agreement cannot be made then random stage from neutrals.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

Additional Rules

* Port slob picks: On a player's counter pick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.

* Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock then percentages. If the percentages are the same then a 1 stock tie breaker match will be played with same characters and same stage. At no time will sudden death be played.

Wiimotes and classic controllers are allowed but we would prefer if you used gamecube. You are responsible for your controller. Take any necessary actions to prevent interference such as removing batteries.

*Don't be a douche.

Stage Lists

Starter Stages: (each player may strike a stage for the first game of each set)

Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield

Counterpick stages:

Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island DS
Delfino
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon

Melee rules

Melee will be run slightly differently.

The matches will be 4 stocks instead of three.
The time limit will be 7 minutes instead of eight
Wobbling, rising pound, and peach bomb stall are all banned

Neutral
Final destination
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
DK 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi Melee

Counterpick
Pokefloats
Corneria
Majora Mask
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Kirby Melee
Mute City

Banned stages
Yoshi Island (64)
Hyrule Temple
Termina
Lylat System- Venom
Lylat System-Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom- Princess Peach's castle
Eagleland- Fourside
Planet Zebes Brinstar Depths
Infinite Glacier - Icicle Mountain
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Island
Eagleland Onett
F Zero Grand Prix - Big Blue
Superflat world - Flat Zone
Mushroom Kingdom
Mushroom Kingdom 2
DK Island Kongo Jungle

Housing
I may be able to do housing. It will be five bucks a person and I will be able to house five people. It will be on a first come first serve basis, but I reserve the right to refuse anyone. Also I reserve the right to kick you out at any time. I am a reasonable person, so I won’t kick you out without a good reason. So don’t give me a reason.

Survey Says
At each of our events I put out a survey asking you how you liked the tournament, what can we approve on, and what other games you would like to see played. At my free events I ask people how much they would be willing to pay to play at a tournament. This is because I want to increase the size of the competitive community, especially in the local area. If you get a survey that asks about payment ignore that question.

So far the results of the survey have been.
8 Call of duty
8 Halo
5 Melee
5 Rockband
4 Gears Of War
4 Brawl+
3 Madden 2010
3 Blazblue
3 Soul Calibur
2 Smash 64
2 Strikers Charged
1 DDR
1 Marvel versus Capcom 2
1 Pokemon
1 Street Fighter 4
1 Mario Kart
1 Tatsunoko vs Capcom
1 Mario Super sluggers
1 Star Craft
1 Star wars Battlefront
1 DBZ
1 Skate 2

If you see a game on that list that you like and would like to see a tournament for let us know. We are going to try to do a different side event at each tournament.

Past Events
September 18th: Wii sports Resort
October 4th: Singles only. Featuring Brawl singles, Melee singles, and Brawl+

Free Events
The Student Government Association, ITA, Gaming Committee and I run regular tournaments at the local college. These events are paid for and run by SGA staff, one of which being myself. These events are free to go to and generally people have a good time. There is free pizza and prizes for the winner. Last year it was 50/25/10/5 dollar gift cards. Rules will be explained at the event, though most times they are self explanatory. We would appreciate it if you could help bring setups.

We usually run events on the 3rd floor of the LRC towards the back. Sometimes we run them in the classroom building. The events are held on Fridays, they generally start at 12 and end at 6. So if things run smoothly you can still make it to Chu’s or C3.

Banned
No one and let’s keep it that way

Legal
Please read the above information carefully. By participating, you are agreeing to follow all rules. Any failure to do so can and will result in you being asked to leave (no refund). Also by participating you are agreeing not to hold us responsible for any property or personal loss or damage.

Contact
Email: metalmonstar-lv100@juno.com
AIM: Metalmonstar 100
YIM: Metal_monstarlv100
Cell phone: 240-291-2196

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Just to let you know we haven't come up with the full rockband rule set yet. We will probably run it the same as the guitar hero tournament we had. We are hoping to make it a 3 person team event. 1 person for Guitar, 1 for bass, and 1 for drums. Hopefully locally we will have about 2-4 teams.

hope herf post soon

Update: I made it a bit neater, added some color

reserved for future updates and new stuff.

Lobos

Smash Master
You should also add the location and games in the title so people know what this is. ^.^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm definitely down for Rock Band. Lobos I'm legit on bass, teamsies? :p

There must be +

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Singles only, sounds bad LOL

I will come every so often. Its a little far out to go every month for me.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Thanks for all your help Tant. We really appreciate it. Hopefully we can provide the same level of excellence. Certainly you and Lil B have to come to the event where we feature pokemon. Hopefully by then myself and some locals will have an awesome teams. Maybe see if Chibo wants to help out since he wanted to get that going a while back.

The locals are so going to own at rockband. Herf suggested we do full band so that I can do vocals and totally own, but we ultimately decided against it since few people like vocals.

Hopefully I can try a Halo one as well in which I am sure the locals would do well at.

We have a lot of good stuff planned and hopefully I can get a few more staff members to help me out.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
if melees there im a maybe but its a bit of a stretch for a mostly brawl event
You should come and participate. With Singles only in October 4th we are trying to spread it out and play each game.

Last time only G-reg entered. We were really disappointed and if it wasn't for the survey responses we would be hesistant to do Melee again. We are giving the game another chance and if it does well we will continue running it. The best way to support a game is through participation.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
no no, I was disappointed, just me. no one else had feelings of disappointment, everyone else had those feelings replaced with cowardice and shame. everyone in the building pulled a thumbs, obviously terrified at my video game prowess

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
no no, I was disappointed, just me. no one else had feelings of disappointment, everyone else had those feelings replaced with cowardice and shame. everyone in the building pulled a thumbs, obviously terrified at my video game prowess
Oh, it all makes sense now. When the other players saw that you had signed up for melee they were instantly consumed with fear and too afraid to sign up despite their desire to play melee.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
g-reg quint kneed me at FC

I was curled up in the fetal position for days before I could announce my counterpick.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
metalmonstar, you need to learn how to read rather then hang off his balls, that statement is completely untrue.
Someone's sarcasm detector is broken huh? I certainly have nothing better to do than meatride Greg.

Would you have rather I stated that MD/VA doesn't care enough about Melee to actually come to tournaments and would rather stay home and complain about it on smashboards?

Jove

Smash Journeyman
im almost certain md/va likes melee just as much if not more than brawl
i mean just look at chus melee/brawl biweekly numbers, both games had the same amount of entries

edit: actually, melee had more entries in singles AND doubles :)

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
im almost certain md/va likes melee just as much if not more than brawl
i mean just look at chus melee/brawl biweekly numbers, both games had the same amount of entries

edit: actually, melee had more entries in singles AND doubles :)
Then I better see more than 1 person signed up for Melee this time. Maybe we should have Greg signup last XD.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
hah yeah the only reason i wouldnt come to this is because it is an hour and 12 mins away from me and thats pretty far for me to go personally

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
hah yeah the only reason i wouldnt come to this is because it is an hour and 12 mins away from me and thats pretty far for me to go personally
Might be able to get a ride. Still have a month or so to go until the event with melee featured. Seriously that is how we feel for every tournament. Hopefully I will be able to go to more. I would like to increase the competitive community in our area. Especially since it is easier to justify driving 5 people to a tournament that is an 1 and 30 minutes away than just driving two people down to a tournament.

I am going to try to put up flyers locally and at Shepherd as well. Since this event is cheaper maybe more people will be able to cough up the money and come.

Herfderf

Smash Cadet
I'll be helping run these yet again.

Come on, get hyped people! To all the melee players- spread the word. If some people show up for melee I'll probably enter-- and it'll be easy money :3

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Thanks everyone for coming. I will update the first post so people know that the next event is on the 21st of November. This next tournament will feature Rockband two. People from Scorehero are coming so you guys need to practice.

Also there is a Smashfest in less than two weeks at the local community college. If you don't live too far away and don't have school or work on Friday, you should come down and hang play.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
i'd say hold a strikers or 64 event but i guarantee no one would come :<
I don't think a strikers tournament would ever work out. I am going to try to push for a 64 event though. The local players love that game more so than melee or Brawl.

Beta, I am sure we will end up doing blazblue sometime.

Herfderf

Smash Cadet
Come to one of our events and we'll think about it. You're welcom to bring it if you like.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
The Smashfest had about 22 people total with 18 of them entered into the tournament. All the food was eaten which was a first. Sorry to those who couldn't make it or didn't know about it. I wanted it to be a more local event which is why I didn't advertise it as much. All free events are listed in this thread.

Next is Madden 2010 on the 20th followed by our big brawl and Rockband tournament on the 21st. Everything you need to know is here. Well I do need to add that we have a greyhound station and that herf and I can pick people up but I don't think that is really necessary if or until we hold a regional event.

I think I should title our next event either "Learn to Read Noobs featuring reading comprehension lessons" or "Coney <3 our tournies but doesn't come."

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
So I will put you down as an unlikely. If there is a really slight chance of you coming then it may be a good idea for whoever you team with to have a backup partner.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yeah I get to share the date with C3 and Anime USA what joy. Maybe if we are really nice the rockband players will enter as pot fillers.

Top Bottom