• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

Milesgboy

Smash Rookie
I hope that sometime the files for Colo(u)rs can be figured out. Love to see that be ported to brawl.
Anways PacMan has a bit of a new look now, I kinda like it.

Camonsters

Smash Apprentice
I will port him to brawl if I can get the model.
If you mean pac-man I have the model for him and I have been trying to get fortwaffles model resizer to work with him since he is so tiny. I had to make him 15 times his normal size but his bones are so hard to animate due to that. It would be much easier if the resizer worked.

NintendoShadowMario

Smash Journeyman
If you mean pac-man I have the model for him and I have been trying to get fortwaffles model resizer to work with him since he is so tiny. I had to make him 15 times his normal size but his bones are so hard to animate due to that. It would be much easier if the resizer worked.
Just do some good old fashioned manual scaling.

Ronaldmcdonald

Smash Apprentice
To get the .brres files out of mrg files just open them in hex editor and search bres (Control f also I do mean search bres not brres) Now delete everything above that. Now save the file as .brres and you are done. There may be multiple files but usually the files are just graphic effects and stuff after the first .brres file. Also the mrgc file is just useless. Don't even bother extracting those. Lastly Pac-Man doesn't resize at all for me. Manually or with the program.

scorcher9910

Smash Cadet
To get the .brres files out of mrg files just open them in hex editor and search bres (Control f also I do mean search bres not brres) Now delete everything above that. Now save the file as .brres and you are done. There may be multiple files but usually the files are just graphic effects and stuff after the first .brres file. Also the mrgc file is just useless. Don't even bother extracting those. Lastly Pac-Man doesn't resize at all for me. Manually or with the program.
Thanks a lot, it worked perfectly!

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Ooooooooooh man... I'm afraid I'm gonna have to eat my own words. But first... WHO'S THAT POKÉMON?!? *gets clobbered*

Emulated on my younger brother's computer right now, since mine is not working too well at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out why he's completely invisible... Also pay no attention to the HUD. I just put him on Lucas for testing. :V

(EDIT: Hrm. He's even invisible in the other BRRES viewer I have, but not BrawlBox. What gives?)

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
You got TMNT smash up to work? Awesome!!
Yeah. After being able to emulate TMNT: Smash-Up on my brother's computer (never worked on mine), I did a memory dump, and wouldn't you know it, it DOES use MDL0 after all! So that makes it the only game so far to break the "Japanese franchise" MDL0 rule.

I'm gonna take a look at the models tomorrow, and see if I can figure out how to fix the "cloak" problem with all of the models.

ds22

Smash Lord
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up is a 2009 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighting game for the Wii and PlayStation 2 video game consoles. The game was developed by a Japanese game developer, Game Arts, who had previously worked on Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and several former members of Team Ninja[3], who previously worked on Ninja Gaiden II.
Not so surprising after all, since they were both developed by Game Arts.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Not so surprising after all, since they were both developed by Game Arts.
It was surprising to me, because of the fact that I've looked through the files beforehand and saw no trace of them ever being BRRES/MDL0. Mainly because they've got a really complex compression to the files.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
YES! TMNT FOR BRAWL!
Someone really needs to make full PSA and animations now. xD
Well, you'd be able to get a lot of animations from the game itself, since it uses CHR0 for that. So there's about half of the work done for ya already. And you don't have to worry about scaling the characters up to proper size, since they are already.

OmegaExDominus

Smash Rookie
If anyone could help...

I managed to get the sonic colors stages into OBJ format (after CPK and ARC expanding) by using a program called BRRES Model Viewer and exporting as a .PSK file. I took the .PSK file and ran it through a program called Milkshape 3d (free trial), turning it into an OBJ file. Then I read this guide http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279756 on bringing OBJs into brawl, but I keep getting an error in the SZS program talking about complexity and arithmetic overflow. Anyone else care to give it a try?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
If anyone could help...

I managed to get the sonic colors stages into OBJ format (after CPK and ARC expanding) by using a program called BRRES Model Viewer and exporting as a .PSK file. I took the .PSK file and ran it through a program called Milkshape 3d (free trial), turning it into an OBJ file. Then I read this guide http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279756 on bringing OBJs into brawl, but I keep getting an error in the SZS program talking about complexity and arithmetic overflow. Anyone else care to give it a try?
That's, uh... kinda redundant. It would probably be better off just to correct the problems with the original MDL0 files instead of going through the process of exporting them into OBJ just to convert them back to MDL0. Besides, the OBJ method is extremely flawed, and doesn't allow for complex replacements (only polygon groups smaller than the polygon sections in the model itself).

OmegaExDominus

Smash Rookie
That's, uh... kinda redundant. It would probably be better off just to correct the problems with the original MDL0 files instead of going through the process of exporting them into OBJ just to convert them back to MDL0. Besides, the OBJ method is extremely flawed, and doesn't allow for complex replacements (only polygon groups smaller than the polygon sections in the model itself).
Yeah I came across that problem, hence I gave up lul...

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for BRAWL!!!

fudge yeah!!

i plan on working on ken the eagle when i'm done. but the problem is, that i don't have he animatinos, and i got joe the condor instead of Ken the eagle... <_<

i need to get a data dump. or get the game myself.

but yes TMNT for brawl will be the highlight of my brawlness

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Ok Last Time Im Going To Do This But... Does Bomberman Land Use Mdl0?
Just checked it, and it doesn't seem to...

Anyway, I think I might've found a temporary fix for the models from Smash-Up.

Problem is, although the models may not be transparent anymore, they've now got a weird form of improper lighting at certain camera angles and distances.

I'm gonna try a few more things tomorrow to try to fix that problem.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
i still want TMNT.

if you get that done. then i'll love you forever.
If I knew how PSA works (and if I didn't have a billion other things that I have to work on), I'd personally work on Leonardo.

And I kinda had an idea for the Rabbids... If possible, it would be great for them to replace the Pokémon Trainer. Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard for the Raving Rabbid, Ninja Rabbid and Splinter Cell Rabbid. I'd like to see that happen someday, but wasn't there a file size limit for them, or something along those lines that makes it difficult to modify them?

Ronaldmcdonald

Smash Apprentice
How did you get that Rabbit in brawl???????
Which Rayman Raving Rabbids game uses .mdl0 files and how can I extract them? If you tell me how I will do my best to make your idea come true and more. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is one of my favourite games and the other ones are good too. Basically I am a huge fan.

ds22

Smash Lord
How did you get that Rabbit in brawl???????
Which Rayman Raving Rabbids game uses .mdl0 files and how can I extract them? If you tell me how I will do my best to make your idea come true and more. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 is one of my favourite games and the other ones are good too. Basically I am a huge fan.
TMNT Smash Up has the Rabbit in it's roster.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
Just checked it, and it doesn't seem to...

Anyway, I think I might've found a temporary fix for the models from Smash-Up.

*IMG*

Problem is, although the models may not be transparent anymore, they've now got a weird form of improper lighting at certain camera angles and distances.

*IMG*

I'm gonna try a few more things tomorrow to try to fix that problem.
Oh Jesus, you're awesome. I cannot wait. TMNT are my childhood.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I THINK that the PT Pokemon have a cumulative file size limit like Zelda and Sheik.

In other words, the file size limit might be a number combined and when one file causes the sum of the files to exceed the limit, all of the forms will freeze.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Rabbids are in TMNT Smash Up?
That makes no sense :urg:
Yeah, a lot of fans were in a bit of an uproar about that when Ubisoft had announced the Rabbid as a playable character. And then moreso when they revealed the Splinter Cell Rabbid (and the secret Ninja Rabbid). Enough that there was a boycott of the game, if I remember correctly.

scorcher9910

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a lot of fans were in a bit of an uproar about that when Ubisoft had announced the Rabbid as a playable character. And then moreso when they revealed the Splinter Cell Rabbid (and the secret Ninja Rabbid). Enough that there was a boycott of the game, if I remember correctly.
People must really hate Rabbids xD

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I read on GameFAQs how people didn't want too many useless characters in the game lol

Top Bottom