• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Yeah just because a file ends with .pac, doesn't mean that it behaves like Brawl's PAC files. For instance, TMNT: Smash-Up has PAC files, but they use an unknown compression method, instead of Brawl's LZ77 compression.
Oh thanks...
So it's just like Pikmin too, there is REG files O_O...

I have heard on a forum of game modification, which have a program called BMS something...
I want to ask how to extract BMZ compress type that Blaster Master Overdrive uses it (arc)...
Someone can link me?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh thanks...
So it's just like Pikmin too, there is REG files O_O...

I have heard on a forum of game modification, which have a program called BMS something...
I want to ask how to extract BMZ compress type that Blaster Master Overdrive uses it (arc)...
Someone can link me?
I'm actually in a similar scenario, but with Mario Sports Mix. While there is a script that can decompress (almost) any file in that ISO, it is not possible to recreate that kind of compression yet.

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually in a similar scenario, but with Mario Sports Mix. While there is a script that can decompress (almost) any file in that ISO, it is not possible to recreate that kind of compression yet.
Ah well, thanks...
Well, I think the forum is called xentak, for the game ripping stuff

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ah well, thanks...
Well, I think the forum is called xentak, for the game ripping stuff
I actually made a thread there on April 4th, but let's just say that no one has replied to it yet.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6355

I also did a conversation with RVLution forum member, Treeki, who explained to me the dilemma involving Mario Sports Mix's compression method. Now, Treeki doesn't know much about compression methods, but here's a quote that he gave me.

Treeki said:
No idea if that will happen -- I can't do it; I know very little about compression. The decompressor is just a direct translation from the game's decompression code.

It's more likely than you think, though -- it's not specific to this game. I don't know all the details; but it's one of the lesser-known compression formats supported by the Wii SDK. This is the first game we've found that uses it, but there are probably others.

There's a leaked version of the SDK out (from mid-2006) which doesn't include this format, so it must have been added afterwards. (Most games I've seen use LZ77 or Yaz0. The latter is not part of the SDK.) That might be why no one has managed to write a compressor yet...

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Sone random findings:
MegaMan Network Transmission has plain TGA textures outside of any container, and has some proprietary texture format and a converter for Windows that dosen't seem to do anything. It also has PAC files, but they seem to be unrelated to Brawl's PACs (the file header is different)
Zelda Collector's Edition has a couple of ARC files. Every menu option, whether games or movies, seems to be stored in "TGC" files.
Pokémon Box and Game Boy Player have ARC too. ARC is significant to us right? It could be different from the ARC we're used to though.
There's a model in SA2:B called "Terios". There's a car in the game that looks like the Daihatsu Terios. Lollery.

Now, I'm only guessing, but is it possible that Mario Sports Mix and TMNT: Smash-Up use the exact same compression method? I would hope not, seeing as the latter is also a PS2 title.
If other multiplatform games are an indication, the Wii and PS2 versions probably use different kinds of compression and models.

Ronaldmcdonald

Smash Apprentice
Hey RandomTBush I tried making the Garbage Dump stage from Smash-Up and did that 'Unknown2' fix and it was still wrong in-game. Everything was black except for the car which was like green. Any idea how to fix this? Do you know? Any help would be appreciated

Slashy

Smash Lord
Terios was the original name for Shadow.

If you guys do rip ToSDotW models, then could you get me that nude Marta model? *snickers*

Judas

Smash Apprentice
There are no nude Marta model... The model that is used when she takes a bath with Emil (great cinematic) doesn't show her completely nude, which is a great thing, same for Emil. And besides, the main problem with this model, and this is only for Marta, is that her legs are not connected to her body.

And, if you want a model of Marta like this, you'll be rather disappointed because it requires a lot of fix, that only RandomTBush seems to know perfectly how to do...

Slashy

Smash Lord
Thanks for the info I wasn't completely serious (at least with putting it in game) is it much harder than the TvC models to get viewing in BrawlBox?

I have the ISO, I can't get the models to view properly in Brawlbox even after using the automatic hexing program.

Where is her bath model located anyway.

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
Valahalla Knights: Eldar Saga, Another Code: R and Trauma Center: Second Opinion HAVE MDL0.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Valahalla Knights: Eldar Saga, Another Code: R and Trauma Center: Second Opinion HAVE MDL0.
And so does Penny Racers Party: Turbo-Q Speedway.

I'll go add those four games to the first post. (Although visual confirmation would definitely be nice to have, too.)

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
^Nice Graphics (laughing)
I will search more about the MDL0's...

Is there is some program to convert BMD into MDL0? There are many games with it

ForOhFor Error

Smash Cadet
Hey, RandomTBush... can you post how you manually hexed those TF2 models into MDL0s?

Tcll and I would both like to know.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Worthwhile double-post.

Wow. Even Trackmania: Build to Race / Trackmania Wii has MDL0.

And don't mind the tires -- the textures are stored in a separate file, and I forced the BRRESViewer to display the primary textures only.

...Too bad they didn't accidentally leave the MDL0 compiler in there along with everything else. That would have been awesome.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I...

Uh...

It's been so long since I've done so that I don't remember the exact process... And I never really wrote it down, either. ._.;
and that's who's fault :p
lol jk XD

anyways... I need this for the first 4 values in these:

^relocation group
(the 2nd value is not padding (old img is old))

as well as a bunch of other stuff...
if I'm ever gonna get my exporter working as it should >_>

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
by chance...
how many different MDL0 versions are there??

I currently have 9, 10, and 11

9 = brawl
10 = okami
11 = pokepark

if you don't know the version of the extracted (non-fixed) mdl0,
look at the third 32bit value:

4D 44 4C 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A FF FF FF FF
^(version 10)

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
by chance...
how many different MDL0 versions are there??
I'll look through the MDL0s I've got on my computer. Maybe it might be useful to know, and should be added to the first post? I feel like I should revamp that list a bit anyway.

And I'm not really sure about the relocation groups, as I've never really modified those before. And when I do, I think BrawlBox just fixed them anyway.

(EDIT: Here's what I've got so far.)

Code:
Version 8

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wii Play

Version 9

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Furu Furu Park
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Sports

Version 10

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
Okami
Space Invaders Get Even
Zack and Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros's Treasure

Version 11

Animal Crossing: City Folk
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Bit.Trip Beat
Bit.Trip Core
Bit.Trip Fate
Bit.Trip Flux
Bit.Trip Runner
Bit.Trip Void
Bleach: Versus Crusade
Bomberman
Bubble Bobble Plus
Castlevania Judgment
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Fullmetal Alchemist: Daughter of the Dusk
Fullmetal Alchemist: Prince of the Dawn
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes W
Klonoa
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Sports Mix
Metroid: Other M
Monster Hunter Tri
My Pokémon Ranch
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Pac-Man Party
Penny Racers Party: Turbo-Q Speedway
Pokémon Rumble
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure
Samba de Amigo
Samurai Warriors 3
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic Colours
Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekidou
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross-Generation of Heroes
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up
Tetris Party Deluxe
Trackmania: Build to Race
Wii Music
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Duel Transer
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers
So it's only 8-11 so far, with 11 being the most common.

(EDIT 2: Namco Museum Megamix seems to have MDL0s, but it has an odd LSZZ-type compression that I can't seem to get at. Also Tetris Party Deluxe has MDL0, but then again so did the original game.)

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
try to remember it and try then to write a tutorial :3

wanna export something in brawl manually, I know it takes time but it's worth it :3
Yeah, I'm gonna go through my old notes again, and fill in the blanks on everything you need to know/do.

Maybe I should try it out with the Portal Gun that I promised BigSharkZ a decade year ago.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Yeah, I'm gonna go through my old notes again, and fill in the blanks on everything you need to know/do.

Maybe I should try it out with the Portal Gun that I promised BigSharkZ a decade year ago.
that one was mine ;_;

Portal Brawl was my idea =3=

well at least someone's helping me... heh

EDIT:
so I just need to get specs for v8 and v10 so far >_>

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Portal Brawl was my idea =3=
It was originally planned for a replacement for Zero Suit Samus's gun, for his Chell hack.

But yeah, I'm revamping the first post right now, hopefully making it more convenient. Gonna need additional info for most of them, though.

Demonslayerx8

Smash Cadet
NNID
Demonslayerx8
It was originally planned for a replacement for Zero Suit Samus's gun, for his Chell hack.

But yeah, I'm revamping the first post right now, hopefully making it more convenient. Gonna need additional info for most of them, though.
for Monster Hunter Tri and Metroid Other M, u should put "Textures dont show up properly for stages in brawlbox"

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
hmm...
also:

Onechanbara Bikini Zombie Slayers to v11
Haruhi No Gekidou to v11

and Elebits to v8
Done. Also, the new list is up. Lemme know if it's better than it used to be -- I've mainly added in the version numbers, made the compression types more noticeable, and added in the programs that should decompress them at the top. It should be helpful, I hope.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
New Super Mario Bros. Wii doesn't use any compression methods, just in case you didn't know.
Yeah, I listed it as being "ARC", which is seems to be a common, compression-free container. Lemme just change it around a bit, though.

(EDIT: Changed it to say "ARC Container", since they don't use actual compression, they're just all stored in one file. Now to go double-check to see if I need to fix anything else.)

ForOhFor Error

Smash Cadet
So for the TF2 models you imported, did you convert the format to a more common type (3DS,DAE,etc.) then hex to a MDL0, or did you hex it directly?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
So for the TF2 models you imported, did you convert the format to a more common type (3DS,DAE,etc.) then hex to a MDL0, or did you hex it directly?
Took the hat, converted it from MDL to SMD to DAE, converted the triangles to tristrips, and hexed them in manually over Jigglypuff's sleep hat's MDL0 file, correcting the offsets afterwards. I'll get into more detail on that when I finally get around to making that tutorial.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
somebody work on a usable bone adder please :/

FW's method is only as useful as crap >_<

copying the mdl0 data to the end is not a good method and uses way too much space
not to mention I need bones added to the beginning, middle and end...

FW's method is a failure

we need to edit the bones properly

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
somebody work on a usable bone adder please :/

FW's method is only as useful as crap >_<

copying the mdl0 data to the end is not a good method and uses way too much space
not to mention I need bones added to the beginning, middle and end...

FW's method is a failure

we need to edit the bones properly

It was good back in the day when it was needed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably point out that Super Smash Bros. Brawl has an ARC file. However, unlike most ARC files, this one uses the LZ77 compression method.

I'm basically referring to adventure_common.arc.

Top Bottom