• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me or them?

razgriz127

Smash Rookie
I love playing online but I have been getting some pretty annoying lag lately. I have tried all the tricks found on the forums but it just doesn't seem to clear up. I was wondering if there was a way to tell if its my connection that is laggy or my opponents. I wouldn't mind buying a usb adaptor if it will make a difference but i dont want to buy one and still have to play with lag due to other peoples connections. thanks.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I love playing online but I have been getting some pretty annoying lag lately. I have tried all the tricks found on the forums but it just doesn't seem to clear up. I was wondering if there was a way to tell if its my connection that is laggy or my opponents. I wouldn't mind buying a usb adaptor if it will make a difference but i dont want to buy one and still have to play with lag due to other peoples connections. thanks.
You can somehow tell if it's them when a connection is cut off. Whenever you are in a wifi battle, sometimes the game would pause for a few seconds, then cuts you off. That means it is them. But if a message immediately appears and says Disconnected, then it is you. It isn't a reliable way to tell since it may not cut off at all, but if that ever happens then you will know who is at fault.

But sometimes distance doesnt even matter. My close friend lives only 15 minutes away from me and we still have the same amount of button lag as I do with a friend of mine in Mexico. It is the Brawl Wifi server. If you ever played MarioKart Wii, then you know that it is the Brawl server that has the technical problems. MKWii has absolutely NO lag, and I play with people from Japan, Germany, even Mars. There is no point getting a wifi adapter because the result will be the same no matter what. If you can't get accustomed to it, just remember that it is affecting THEM as well.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Heartz, why link to your signature instead of just putting image tags around it to display it in the thread?
Well that was way off topic. I am not able to add an image to my sig yet until I made the requirements to become an avid member. The IMG code is in there, it just is a link until it becomes available. Trust me, I know well enough about html tagging.

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
Mario Kart Wii has an entirely different approach to lag though that wouldn't work in a fighting game. Mario Kart Wii uses AI to predict your opponents path during lag. Then when it receives actual coordinates for them it updates accordingly (sometimes causing them to fly to the opposite side of the track). That's why you can throw a Green shell at someone and they won't take the hit at all even though it travels right through them. They weren't actually there, but 4 feet to the left of that spot. You'll notice a lot of bouncing around if you do a worldwide match when compared to regional. The games not actually lagless but goes about it in a different, less noticeable way.

Brawl forces the game to lag equally (most of the time) and slows framerate to compensate for lag on all players to keep it even. How fun would it be to take a swing at someone, only to find out they weren't actually there but behind you charging a forward smash. Brawl uses the system that works best for a fighting game. Every game uses a different way to compensate for lag.

I think the adapter helps though personally. I have noticed I haven't had as much input lag as I have had in the past. It's not a very big difference though, so I'd save your money if your trying to save for more important things.

Top Bottom