• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meatknight is not Broken! aka How to beat Sonic [WIP]

infomon

Smash Scientist
Up-B immediately from water; you needn't jump out first. I have tap-jump off. I don't even remember if up-B has to wait until the time at which you could jump out, which seems to be much later, I could be wrong tho.

And yeah, I get off Uair kills on ppl irl at smashfest, lol it doesn't happen that often (there's usually a defensive aerial duel but noone dies), but ppl get mad when their aerial/airdodge gets predicted and I Uair KO them. :)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Screw it, I usually get carried away by the water, and the Spring carries the momentum of the water, so it just delies (SP?) your imminent death.

It's either that, or I get caught under the platforms.

I hate Japes, If I could trade a banned stage to make it CP at the cost of Japes, I would get the Mushroomy Kingdom.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Screw it, I usually get carried away by the water, and the Spring carries the momentum of the water, so it just delies * your imminent death.
*delays

I hate Jungle *****. Never go there ever. Falco and ROB **** beyond all belief here too.

:093:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Uair juggling is easy on Japes because of the leveling of the platforms :p Roll off ASCs are too good. Sonic doesn't gain much, but fon't see him losing too much that other characters dont as well.

Didn't Espy beat Sethlon one match in japes? =P

Pictochat just totally kill Sonic's game. Not to mention characters that can outrange you and hit you through obstacles. Ugh.

I guess its just playstyle dependant.

I don't think Uair s Punishable if you know what you're doing -_-. Perhaps the inproper usage of it is, but not the move itself >_<

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The fact that we lose any possible vertical K.O. potential should be reason enough any Sonic player should hate Japes. We have enough trouble with killing as is, but unless you happen to perfectly space a killing blow to the side, you can @#$% well bet your opponents will be living past 200%.

I don't know how Espy happened to win that set, but dear God you either hate Japes or you love it, and that's only because you play a character that benefits from the stage. If you're Sonic, you HATE it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Espy must've been on some SERIOUS STEAK to beat SETHLON'S FALCO on JUNGLE JAPES.

If this match was recorded, PLEASE show me it. I might cry.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The fact that we lose any possible vertical K.O. potential should be reason enough any Sonic player should hate Japes. We have enough trouble with killing as is, but unless you happen to perfectly space a killing blow to the side, you can @#$% well bet your opponents will be living past 200%.

I don't know how Espy happened to win that set, but dear God you either hate Japes or you love it, and that's only because you play a character that benefits from the stage. If you're Sonic, you HATE it.
I Love it =P

Sonic doesn't kill with vertical KOs thatttt much. Since people don't usually expect me to follow up a Uthrow with an aerial as much on japes because you wont get vertical KOs, I find myself landing several uthrow to bair kills.

But then again, I love facing MK. Its probably my favorite matchup with Sonic nowadays.

Maybe I'm just a weird Sonic main >_>

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Straight from the Steakling himself:

Unfortunately, not a single drop of footage was recorded *sadface*. I really wish someone recorded. I was powershielding so many lasers during my Jungle Japes match that it was ********.

Then, after all that fighting to get to the Grand Finals (beating DMK on Luigi's Mansion :D):
1. Battlefield: I lost (I survived 'till 233%, and almost made a comback)
2. Green Greens: 2-stock him at moderate damage, somewhere from 30-70%. It was lulzy, I KOed him like, 20 seconds into the game using the bombs. Green Greens is now my favorite level to counterpick. DMK yelled to pick it, so I did.
3. Jungle Japes: Too close of a match, but I win. (No, I'm not kidding.)
4. Castle Siege: I got *****.
5. Rainbow Cruise: lol, just lol. I win, so I took a set off.
EDIT: Woops double post, thought someone woulda written =/

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Way to double post.

But yeah...that's a shame none of that was recorded...but still, way to go Puffy!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Lol, I miss KASR. Making fun of him and him not knowing I was doing it was the most entertaining thing I've ever done on this board.
the KASR2 was worse.

whether it was making fun of it, or discussing something related to game play, it was completely directionally lost, with no working radar for hostiles or friends.

-----------

anyway, just a hint for the U-air thing, since I'm sleepy now:
DI towards Sonic on the first hit.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
catinthehat nap and whoever else plays sonic and does the whole NYC thing....u should go to gametable on the 10th in long island...over 50 ppl....quite the chance to rep the blue blurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
GO FOR IT YOU BLACKS

I like Japes, the level just looks so good :O

I'm going to practice on the level. BTW, ASC on from the higher side- platforms aren't terrible at all. They're quite the coolieness.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
This thread needs to be bumped.

You know what sucks about Sonic? His side-taunt is the longest of them all in terms of frames, so it leaves you really punishable for your opponent to come up with something good if you're trying to spam it for the mindgames.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You know what sucks about Sonic?
Everything? jk

His side-taunt is the longest of them all in terms of frames, so it leaves you really punishable for your opponent to come up with something good if you're trying to spam it for the mindgames.
:sonic: is too slow?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Funny thing I've tried adding to my mindgams, is the taunting. But I only do the up taunt, obviously its the shortest on. usually its after a back throw off the stage.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nice bump Gf2? lol

I say we gather data on the Dthrow tech thing, and see what each character can do afterwords that Sonic CAN'T just powershield...stuff that would actually give us problems.

We also need a video of it.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'm like 95% sure that everyone can grab after teching. (Not sure about tether grabs).

But at higher percentages, teching it will place you to far to grab Sonic.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's not important to get frame data for the stupid tech.

A more simple solution would be to just F-Throw if they know about it, like seriously.

It's much easier than going over every character and every %age for such a gay tech against Sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It may SEEM unnecessary to collect it to you guys, but to ME, I see it as...well, let's make up a scenario.

1. MK gets Dthrowed, and techs.

2. MK has a slow tech, but thinks he can punish Sonic like "lulz, I teched *Dsmash*"

3. Sonic's ending lag from the Dthrow is now gone and he simply...

4. *powergrab Dsmash*

5. MK - "WHA-ZAH?!?"

6. Sonic - Sonic - "lol" *proceeds with another throw of choice*

It'd be like they teched to avoid a tech chase, just to set themselves up for an even EASIER one XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Here's the thing though Camal.

Say you're fighting somebody like... D'oh I dunno, SamPan (don't want to name-drop) for the very first time... you talk and all that jazz, blah blah blah... turns out, you two are going to be in a money match, make up your own reason, IDC. Anyway how will you know if he knows about the tech? Asking him? That's stupid, because if he already knew, he won't tell you if he wants to get more money, if he doesn't he will figure it out when you ask him that question/he can lie to you. -_-

So where does that put you? either way in an unfavorable position.

You start doing D-Throw when it counts, because SamPan isn't going to want to try to tech it at a low %age where it won't matter to keep the element of surprise. Because even if MK did have a frame advantage against you, anything DSmash and faster won't count, because it doen't get the job done/doesn't kill you at minus 100% just about.

You won't know everybody who does/doesn't know it, and you can't prepare for the fights that do.

You're just better off playing your matches like the tech didn't even exist... *sigh*, and when it happens, you know what to expect from there, and then just work with teched/unteched D-Throw shenanigans.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Meh, whatever. I've been using way less Dthrow anyway >_>

Uthrow for top tires.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's better then D-Throw when teh Tech is applied anyway, and for damaging racking, but it's not better than U-Throw.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I often times will only do down throws throughout an entire match. It is so fun to do. Back throw is another good one too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
TIP: Teching D-throw on Wifi does not work.
It's comparably easier to tech D-throw than it is to shield other people's moves on wifi.

If you have a feel for the lag, the startup gives away the timing.

I played orange-lag matches and ran into this GAW's moves forever, but I could still tech his D-throw somewhat consistently.
It may SEEM unnecessary to collect it to you guys, but to ME, I see it as...well, let's make up a scenario.

1. MK gets Dthrowed, and techs.

2. MK has a slow tech, but thinks he can punish Sonic like "lulz, I teched *Dsmash*"

3. Sonic's ending lag from the Dthrow is now gone and he simply...

4. *powergrab Dsmash*

5. MK - "WHA-ZAH?!?"

6. Sonic - Sonic - "lol" *proceeds with another throw of choice*

It'd be like they teched to avoid a tech chase, just to set themselves up for an even EASIER one XD

lol I actually quoted this because I thought you were implying MK can D-smash out of a D-throw tech.

but now, it's just a QFT.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Stupid double post...my apologies.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
When someone (Knee) D-throw techs, they do it to far away. Falcons pisspoor grab range cant get to me, neither can he jab. I just go ur 2slo while he tries to jab (I use hax, ur2slo in 10 frames).

Top Bottom