• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics/Findings Compendium

Fortress

Smash Master
For anybody looking to post video proof of general mechanics in practice from the footage we have. Preferably try to capture bits from a tool like http://freegifmaker.me/youtube-to-gif/ or link a video and time. Feel free to post notes you feel are relevant. I'll start with a few that I gathered during work today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directional Airdodge Recovery: Armada and some others have discussed it, here are a couple of shots of the directional airdodge recovery in action. Though you can act out of it, for a lot of characters using it like this will probably get you killed. Edgeguarding is a much stronger strategy when compared to Smash 4.

airdodge_recovery1.gif

airdodge_recovery2.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When hit from behind, characters use a different animation than normal. I personally do not know if this occurs in the air (I don't believe so), or if it affects on-hit advantage in any meaningful way.

backhit.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dash Dance is much more reliable and flexible, and looks to be as effective as Melee dashdance. Characters seem to have much more control over the variation in distance they can utilize.

dashdance_tiltoutofrun.gif

Related: It appears that the initial dash animation does not send you off of a platform. I haven't heard this, and cannot personally confirm. It's possible that the initial dash will not let you off of a platform if you return the stick to neutral before reaching the platform. If anybody can confirm, I'd appreciate it. ZeRo is seen dashing to the right edge of the right platform, but not falling.

initialdash_nofall.gif

Glide Tossing appears to be much stronger in this title. Whether this was intended is unclear.

glidetoss.gif

Rage does not activate until 120%, and according to both ZeRo and Armada is not nearly as strong as in 4. Rage is visible in character portraits (Leffen's portrait as Zelda will steam while in Rage).

rage.gif

Regrab protection is visible (indicated by a yellow flash), and appears to affect players for roughly two seconds.

regrab_invuln.gif

Shield Breaks now dramatically zoom the camera and slow time, and also appear to render the shield-broken opponent invincible until they land and re-stand (possibly to prevent interference with the break by random hits).

shieldbreak2.gif

And, of course, overall the speed of the game seems to have been increased dramatically as changes compound on one another. This isn't necessarily due to mechanics in of themselves, but a combination of that and the reduced recovery on many actions.

speed.gif

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
If you want to use what's in my post in yours, feel free to edit and have a mod edit mine or notify me to edit mine to remove this stuff.

Perfect Shield

Dodge Decay

Dash Cancel Options

Grab Clashing

Simplified Short Hop With Attack

Waveland

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
That new back attack animation is serious attention to detail! Can't wait to BACKSLASH! :4shulk:

another small detail are the faces and steam effects in rage mode. DK looks pissed.

Fortress

Smash Master
That new back attack animation is serious attention to detail! Can't wait to BACKSLASH! :4shulk:

another small detail are the faces and steam effects in rage mode. DK looks pissed.
That's actually not Rage, it's specific to his Giant Punch. The more it's charged, the angrier he looks. Rage is actually only displayed on your character portrait near your percent now.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
That's actually not Rage, it's specific to his Giant Punch. The more it's charged, the angrier he looks. Rage is actually only displayed on your character portrait near your percent now.
oh shoot you're right. Suddenly i'm okay if they remove rage now.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really seen it in gameplay (maybe because it's weird to do without holding a direction), but regular air dodging is still in Smash Ultimate correct?

If so, is there a lag difference between regular air dodging and directional air dodging?

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Beefy Smash Doods talked about the new Mechanics, and if what they said is correct you can only air dodge once before landing and normal air dodges don't have any lag if you land with it, directional air dodges do have lag if you land with them just like in Smash 4.

Fortress

Smash Master
Beefy Smash Doods talked about the new Mechanics, and if what they said is correct you can only air dodge once before landing and normal air dodges don't have any lag if you land with it, directional air dodges do have lag if you land with them just like in Smash 4.

Either M2K, ZeRo, or Armada confirmed that about the airdodges, yeah. You just get the one, and the neutral one is the safest of them.

Top Bottom