• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics of Tripping

Ezurus

Smash Rookie
Looks to me like whoever you play, you have about a 1/100 chance of tripping everytime you dash. A larger sample size would really be necessary to say anything for sure though.

L__

Smash Master
Tripping blows,
it's random, it's stupid, that's all that needs to be said.
It's random, yes. It's stupid yes. But Sakurai put that "Mechanic" in just to remove another mechanic to ease Brawl down. Just like he has taken apart wavedashing, wavelanding, L-canceling, and has ruined the art of sweetspotting to the point where the ledge becomes a giant vacuum and if you actually look; it really looks like a giant fan sucks your body over. >_>
It's funny how Fox's body wiggles when he sucks on.

Hype

Smash Lord
I suggest that after every character you put in an average. I realize it wouldn't be 100% with the amount of tests done but,, it could give us a bit of an idea of who trips often and who doesn't.

Amide

Smash Lord
This answers a lot of questions, thanks. Some questions are left unanswered though.

Lied

Smash Rookie
Do you think you can post the average trip/dash for each character?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Of course we know Brawl characters trip, and we say it is do to initiating a dash and such.
This is completely false.
The truth is, since Brawl is such a chaotic game and characters never get a chance to rest, they cannot keep their shoes tied.
Thus they are always step on their shoe strings.
But, what about shoe less characters like DK? This is actually due to sore feet, the Wii overrides your command and gives DK a few seconds to rest his feet.
Also, this is why Mewtwo was removed from the game, he cannot trip and thus, would unbalance the game and make Sakurai cry.

L__

Smash Master
Of course we know Brawl characters trip, and we say it is do to initiating a dash and such.
This is completely false.
The truth is, since Brawl is such a chaotic game and characters never get a chance to rest, they cannot keep their shoes tied.
Thus they are always step on their shoe strings.
But, what about shoe less characters like DK? This is actually due to sore feet, the Wii overrides your command and gives DK a few seconds to rest his feet.
Also, this is why Mewtwo was removed from the game, he cannot trip and thus, would unbalance the game and make Sakurai cry.

now i understand quantum physics. if i don't rest, my shoelaces will trip me! POWER OF LEVITATION FTW!

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
you know, i bet that sakurai and his 'cronies" put that in as a joke, for humor. They're probably laughing at us. I mean, we're doing crazy intense researh, only to find pretty much lame results- tripping is just plain random, probably thrown in for a joke. We should just embrace it and move on.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
really big thing to add to this tripping averages. i am a diddy main and i use banannas a large amount of the time and it has always more than seemed to me that the person who i am playing seems to trip less than me, even if they are a gorund based character. the only thing i can think of is that since they are tripping alot because of me throwing banannas that they dont trip as often from dashiong etc? that is the only thing that i can think is happening becaase this doesnt happen like on a weekly basis or anything, i play mostly everday and every time it seems whatever character i play against trips \barley at all other than from banannas. jsut antoehr variable to add into this if you are furthering testing....

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I forgot this was around. *Subcribes* Thanks Hitaku--it is very appreciated.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
What about metaknight who floats, only merely dragging his feet along?
Dude, ROB has treads, F*CKING TREADS. If your heavy tank units trip on their own treads, just give up your country now and save yourself from further humiliation. I'm lookin at Poland.

If anything, Nintendo should have made ROB the only character UNABLE to trip. I guarantee actual ROB sales would go up just because he couldn't trip in Brawl. Talk about a missed marketing opportunity.

bioniclekid8

Smash Cadet
am i the only one who only trips about once or twice about every 10 matches?

kirby has no clue why i don't trip much

<(-_-)>

Reeffer

Smash Rookie
maybe the tripping is caused by lack of fluidity in your movement. i noticed, because i waz a sonic user,that i got used to fast input. then i switched to ike (big difference) and i tripped more often in my earlier matches oppossed to today. it maybe a simple matter of getting timeing of your movements instead of trying to be fast. any1 get what im saying?

MaxThunder

PM Support
If tripping is random, do you kids think that maybe it was designed to take the thirst of competition out of the game? I can imagine how pissed off some people will get when they lose a ton of money because their character falls flat on their face.
yeah, this is probably the reason they added tripping. and i'm sure all here know that.... uh... they guy that made smash(i allways forget his name...) diddent like the competitive community that evolved around ssbm (lol=)i used the word evolved=) i've become smart!)

Edit: i suddenly discovered the lack of ...'s in this post... so her the come=)... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...(sorry about this one... i couldn't ressist...)

Edit: AHA!!! HIS NAME IS SAKURAI!!!... i found out... probably gonna forgett though... and i have to thank mariofanpm12 for the info...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
yeah, this is probably the reason they added tripping. and i'm sure all here know that.... uh... they guy that made smash(i allways forget his name...) diddent like the competitive community that evolved around ssbm (lol=)i used the word evolved=) i've become smart!)

Edit: i suddenly discovered the lack of ...'s in this post... so her the come=)... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...(sorry about this one... i couldn't ressist...)

Edit: AHA!!! HIS NAME IS SAKURAI!!!... i found out... probably gonna forgett though... and i have to thank mariofanpm12 for the info...
you're very welcome

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tripping was obviously added to make people get more involved in aerial battles. It doesn't happen way too much for me since I don't always dash around like crazy.

IDK

Smash Lord
Do u think its possible to find the input u did that caused u to trip? Tripping on purpose could b useful.
dash dancing and fox trotting seem to make you trip a lot. DD fastest.

also, thanks a lot for this list and the testing it must have taken a LOT of work.

IDK

Smash Lord
Tripping was obviously added to make people get more involved in aerial battles. It doesn't happen way too much for me since I don't always dash around like crazy.
actually, sakurai (the maker of brawl), said that he put in tripping to reduce the competitiveness of super smash bros because he didn't intend for it to be that way and believes that nintendo is a video game brand that is also, not meant for competitiveness.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Too bad moving around in the air is very slow, and that some character's games revolve completely on dashing in order to adjust their spacing (Sonic). We don't all play Wario or Jigglypuff you know.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
This seem to be a problem i Brawl. People shouldn't dash all the time. I think that aerial battles just makes the game better. I hope that the PAL-version has a better kind of tripping because according to reviews the online is better at PAL-version, it got less lag and also they fixed alot of bugs. No mention of tripping but maybe they saw alot of people complaining so they made tripping a better thing?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I dunno, maybe this is just a coincidence, but EVERY time I have ever tripped, I was doing some form of dashing. It happens when I am:

1. Standing still for a while (roughly 3 seconds or so) then dashing forward.
2. At some point during a dash dance.
3. Landing after an aerial or Smashing, and then dashing before the animation is complete.

I only play with 4 characters. Zelda, Sheik, Zamus, Samus.

It happens more often with Zelda, but I think that is because I main her, so I just remember it happening more times than the others. If not, though, I seemed to just accept that it was because she was wearing heels.

I mean, seriously, if women can't walk down the pavement in heels, how can they fight in them?

regorris

Smash Apprentice
I've tripped smashing before... that was special.

Have you tried to do a tripping test, and save the replay on your Wii? If tripping is part of the game, and replays are part of the game, then there must be some mechanic for reproducing tripping reliably.

I wonder if there's a way to hack the system and find where it's getting its 'random' number from. Anyone want to form a team with me to work on it?

JediMindTrix

Smash Rookie
My respect for your persistence, but there seem to be far too many factors involved in determining the chances of tripping. Type of controller used, perfect tilting, weight, damage, speed... the list goes on. Beyond having a large, dedicated team of trip testers, it seems tripping is best left as it is. Even then, I'm afraid the results may not be very conclusive.

Just found a video that may be of help in your testing. The person uses a wavebird to control 3 characters at once, which could disprove the "perfect dash" theory.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
actually, sakurai (the maker of brawl), said that he put in tripping to reduce the competitiveness of super smash bros because he didn't intend for it to be that way and believes that nintendo is a video game brand that is also, not meant for competitiveness.
Link or it didn't happen.

L__

Smash Master
o__O Everyone knows that Sakurai has a random trip button and is monitoring the world's play and trips everyone one at a time... o_____________O

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
It happens more often with Zelda, but I think that is because I main her, so I just remember it happening more times than the others. If not, though, I seemed to just accept that it was because she was wearing heels.

I mean, seriously, if women can't walk down the pavement in heels, how can they fight in them?
O.o Zelda wears boots not heels only Peach wears heels.

i think tripping is a bit more influenced on the winner than the current loser in a match. cause it seems that when i play FFA with my friends, the one who only wins once in a while and usually loses doesn't trip at all unless forced by an attack or something. While me, the almost consistent winner, seem to trip way more often than anyone else and it happens more when i start to really get ahead .

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
to say the truth ill just take a big buess that tripping is pure random.
plain as that.
all the testingwas impressive, but i think there's just no logical conclusion other than that tripping is random.

if perhaps somebody could hack the game and study its code, there could be a way to find out more about the chances, numbers,a nd mechanic sinvolve din tripping.

I read in an interview with sakurai in Nintendi Power that he wanted to more emphasive aerial combot, which is why the game is floatier. I'd say tripping is there to enhance aereial play even more.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
@bigmack209, way to misconstrue. Or, at least, take some liberties with the actual quotation.

@TheWii, as in... we don't trip enough? Has anyone really complained about that?

@regorris, the result of any such "h4xing" would be utterly unhelpful. It will never be possible to accurately predict in real time the result of whatever semi random function controls tripping.

@JediMindTrix, the list of possible tripping factors can be made as long as you want, you can make up as much stuff as you want to fill it out, even time of day could matter. The point is that controlled testing of one variable at a time HAS shown an absence of a notable change for most proposed variables. Testing IS worth the time. You can ignore conclusions drawn if you want, but don't pretend it's logical to do so. And that video has been around for-(quite literally)-ever.

@JigglyZelda003, I really, really, really doubt that such a thing would have really been taken into account. Circumstantial evidence here and there is great, but circumstantial evidence supports both possibilities here, depending on where you get your circumstantial evidence. I think that's an unfounded and implausible theory that I'd be very surprised to see validated. It's just unlikely.

@mariofanpm12, we're not really trying to demonstrate that... tripping is anything but random. Of course it's random. There is no action you can take that will produce a trip 100% of the time. That's pretty definitively random.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@JigglyZelda003, I really, really, really doubt that such a thing would have really been taken into account. Circumstantial evidence here and there is great, but circumstantial evidence supports both possibilities here, depending on where you get your circumstantial evidence. I think that's an unfounded and implausible theory that I'd be very surprised to see validated. It's just unlikely.
i guess your right. but it just seems to happen so much to me :ohwell:

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Needed some practice with Excel =)

I know it's all random and all, but I thought some people might want to see the averages for the tests:

TLv1 - 79.06452
TLv2 - 92
TLavg - 85.53226
Ike - 107.3871
Pit - 109.9459
Lucario - 92.09677
Sonic - 133.4
Olimar - 89.1667
Mario - 194.9032
DK - 139.8
Link - 96.2333
Samus - 100.6667
ZSS - 188.3333
Kirby - 117.4667
Fox - 128.1333
Pikachu - 115.8387
Marth - 85.96552

--

Avg of Avgs - 112.5251
High - Mario
Low - TL
Median - 112.8923 ([Pit+Pikachu]/2)

List from most trips to least:

TLavg - 85.53226
Marth - 85.96552
Olimar - 89.1667
Lucario - 92.09677
Link - 96.2333
Samus - 100.6667
Ike - 107.3871
Pit - 109.9459
Pikachu - 115.8387
Kirby - 117.4667
Fox - 128.1333
Sonic - 133.4
DK - 139.8
ZSS - 188.3333
Mario - 194.9032

3mbl3m l0rd

Smash Rookie
Thnx this is very helpful; I h8 it when Marth trips(he's my main) esp. when I throw some1 then try to follow up with another grab, dash attack, or SH.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it was said above, but I've noticed that Lucas tend to trip way more often than any of the other characters in the game. But maybe I'm just unluck :/

Top Bottom