• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega man combo/attack string thread

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Mega man is a pretty unique character in that he lacks many good, go-to true combos. However, he does have many useful attack strings and situational combos.

I can organize them all in this thread, but I would need the communities help (especially with at which %s they work). I know the old tech thread had many of these, but its almost too long to go through at this point.

I listed a few to get this started. Hopefully there are other useful ones I'm forgetting.

True combos

Z1MGA upper - diagonal down blade into utilt (or usmash)

Z-drop blade (any %) or dair (50-80%) on standing opponent causes them to fly in direction opposite the side they are hit on. Predict direction, and catch with utilt or usmash. You can also footstool prior to z-drop.

Standing next to opponent downward item throw blade into fsmash (20-90%? true combo?)

F-tilt lemons if point-blank, jump on last shot if you want nair for knock back, or use c-stick down after first shot to perform sliding jabs

Attack strings/Non-guaranteed combos

Rising full hop fair to landing uair

Landing uair into uair

Landing uair into grab if shielded (best on tall characters)

Down throw into fair/bair/uair, at lower percents you can try to string multiple fairs or bairs

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Depending on how you position yourself after Dthrow, you can go into a Point Blank Nair to knock the foe further away than Fair could hope.

Dtilt also goes under some projectiles and has some decent knockback for a tilt. It's no Utilt, but it lets you close in and also sends enemies far at +100%.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
My biggest combo strings come from Dthrow > Fair > MB up angled > Grab, repeat or mix it up.

Sometimes I go for Uthrow > Leaf Sheild > and gimp grab as they try to land. It depends if they jump away or not.

My favorite combo is MB > Bair or MB > Dair if over the ledge. Technically they aren't true combos, but in some cases they are inescapable.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
With customs I like doing
Tornado Hold > Uair/Fair/Bair/Danger Wrap.
Danger Wrap > Fullhop > Danger Wrap
Danger Wrap > Fair

As for the Fair to falling Uair or multiple Fairs, even though its listed as non-guaranteed already, I do not recommend it doing it most of the time. Fair has too much endlag on it and does not have enough hitstun to reliably link into something else, I'd only do it sparingly to mix things up and catch opponents offguard (and don't expect it to work more than like 3 times if he's competent). Otherwise I think it's only worth trying if you're facing if you're facing a character without a sex kick or any reliable combo breaker, and that includes like less than half of the roster.

In my experience I tried something like that yesterday in a tournament in a match against a :4link:, As soon as I hit him with Fair and planning to use Uair, he was able to mash Nair and hit me out of it. Not a very reliable string tbh.

I wonder what kind of combos you can do with Shadow Blades btw........ Haven't unlocked it yet and my game's confiscated, so I can't go to the lab.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
at percentages around 30 and under, if you land a Danger Wrap, you can true combo into another Danger Wrap right around where they would be lifted to after the first. Play around with predicting where your opponent will be after the Danger Wrap, because while they're in hit stun, the trajectory is really predictable.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
My favorite combo is MB > Bair or MB > Dair if over the ledge. Technically they aren't true combos, but in some cases they are inescapable.
Can you provide more details on how to pull this off? Seems tricky since mb causes opponents mostly to knock back horizontaly. Is it normal blade or item blade? What percentages? How far away? And I assume jump cancel toss forward?

PairODucks

Smash Rookie
JC down toss MB does true combo into bair at ~80%.

upair to bair is a true combo (according to training mode), seemingly regardless of %. It can be fairly tricky as the upair has to be released at the lowest possible point.

Also danger wrap to upair works up to about 45%

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Can you provide more details on how to pull this off? Seems tricky since mb causes opponents mostly to knock back horizontaly. Is it normal blade or item blade? What percentages? How far away? And I assume jump cancel toss forward?
No JCT. I'm only just learning to use that. It's mostly normal blades. High percentages work best. Works best on taller opponents(or if they're in the air). You throw MB > dash forward > RAR short hopped Bair. I couldn't find any vids I already uploaded so I make a small "combo" video which includes a few examples of that. Plus some other stuff.

I often hear people say Mega Man is slow, but I find him quite fast.

1. Jab > Jab > Bair from behind. This is good combo but after a few times your opponent will start to expect it.

2. Jab pressure. I use this a lot. Make use of MM's good horizontal movement and keep moving back to the right distance.

3. MB > Bair true combo? Short hop the blade so you get a bit of movement forward, then do the RAR as quick as possible. Some characters might have escapes if the player if ready for it, but most of the time they aren't. I haven't tested it with another person trying escape it. I land it pretty consistently.

4. MB > Grab. It's an all around good combo.

5. Down-angled MB Ledge Block > Dair. Not exactly a combo but if you follow up with a dair in this situation you will probably land it. Sometimes the player will accidentally do an air dodge or aerial attack and fall to their death. Some characters have better recovery from this than others.
Dair > Dair. Never give up on that spike.

6. By getting your opponent to bounce on Rush you are wasting their invincibility frames. Try and time your attack for when they run out. I usually go for a MB > Grab.

7. Utilt > Utilt. They always go for the attack but if they're % is high enough you have time to shield. The hard part is facing the right way for a follow up. They usually jump away after two, so it's good to mix it up after that. Obviously this gets harder to keep doing to the same person.

8. Dthrow > Fair > Fair. The second Fair pushed him away enough to be out of range for most followups. Still very risky but if this happens it's obviously a bit safer.

9. Jab pressure, look for an opening. My go to strategy.
Running underneath > short hopped retreating Bair > double jump Bair. A short hop is quicker and launches more often but a full hop is safer in case they block or dodge.
MB ledge block > Dair. This has been very reliable if the MB connects. You have to commit to the Dair right away. Aim a little in front of where the MB hit them.

10. Projectile pressure > keep away spacing. I make sure to cycle all my projectiles. I watch my opponent move and match his moves, rather than focusing my character(for a short time).
Double jab shield breaker. When you're in their face, Jab > immediately jump back/up while shooting second Jab. No third Jab. If the first Jab is shielded they will think they can grab you. Because you're in the air before they get a chance, they miss and your second jab almost always sweetspots and then you chase.
Any hit that makes opponent fall down and they don't tech > Dash Attack. You have to commit but after a surprise Jab sweetspot at low % they have little time to react and your Dash Attack will probably connect.

11. Not a combo, just an interesting thing that happened. While in Tumble bounce off the edge and DI off the stage.

12. When coming back from the stage, always give them a projectile to keep their attention or block an attack. If you can spare the double jump, come up short of the edge with Rush so you are out of range of some attacks > Double Jump behind > Bair.
When you knock them far away from the stage, always give them something to deal with. If they decide to recover low or airdodge, prepare for the Dair.

13. Ledge Roll > Utilt. Higher risk, even higher reward.

14. Leafshield chase > Grab. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Very safe option.

15. A failed attempt at MB > Bair. I came up short but kept the pressure on and found another opportunity that landed. It looks inescapable. They tumble a bit and hit the ground in a landing animation. I don't know if that can be acted out of or not but people are rarely ready for it. It provides a good mix up option for people who get used to you coming in for a grab after a MB. MB > Fmash is another good mixup. That can provide the same level of inescapability.

I'd write my own guide sometime with video examples if I wasn't a bit lazy ^.^; writing this turned out to be a chore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom