• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mekos Doubles Critique Thread + Tips

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
@Delux - U did amazing my friend. U just need to learn how to better utilize your invincibility when u are coming back after u lose a stock(For example, wait until they run away from u. They will not wanna challenge u since u will be invincible. Then instead of going after them, go and heal me). Also, you were not under alot of hard pressure. I can better judge u playing with me if we are playing people at your level or better.
I am confused. T22 has been going around to people that he can **** in doubles, even win the upcoming tournament we're going to because of how well he does. According to him, he also bodied every team that I played with against him at the smashfest.

His lucario is clearly at my level or better (in doubles). Yes/No? :)

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
uhhh...I don't define someone's power level in doubles based on their results or how they do against other people. It's all about their individual actions(the options they choose during the match).

My critique stands. Does that make sense?
I couldn't really judge T22 individual doubles skills that much because he was teaming with me. I was controlling the matches with my team spacing(I positioned myself to basically make him play correctly). And he was lucario so as he gets messed up he just got stronger. He did make alot of mistakes, but the anubis strat made up for it extremely well. Remember that he stole alot of my stocks. I mostly played with 2 stocks those matches. The fact that he says he can't play snake in doubles is proof that the anubis helps him. A true doubles player can play in character in doubles because it is about applying the fundamentals.

Ask Texas. They wouldn't let me play lucas at their midtier hobo tourney. I only play lucas and have never played any other character before. I went Ness and still did extremely well. Not because of my skill with the character but because of my doubles smarts.

If I'm not making sense I'll explain it better in person when u come to my house.

DeLux

Oh so i'm coming to your house for sure? :)

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
;) yea u can come
What time are u trying to come over?

Delux, that is the mistake most people make. They will be like, "Well I beat this team or almost beat this team, so I must be good" or "I placed this at this national". That mentality is bad and is lowering your potential. It is not about your opponent or placings. It is about your team and what you guys do together.

For example, I don't think Esam and I's team is good because we are undefeated. I could care less. That means nothing. I think our team is good because of our synergy and current teamwork level. We won't stop there tho. We will continue to work hard and get better, no matter how many times we win...or lose. Believe in your team and judge your team based on your own actions. Not by your opponents.

DeLux

I was kidding lol

I was more making a joke about how T22's ego was getting out of control (because for some unknown reason the entire locality bases their accomplishments on being able to beat me even with my obvious physical limitations) despite you back packing him up the KC scene's current proverbial Mount Everest and stomping on my "team" minus a few exceptions. Although you put it much more nicely than I did.

I agree full heartedly agree with your sentiment though. It's kind of why I always insist that I'm bad despite having some tournament success locally (and sub regionally). I understand there's a whole new level that can be achieved in terms of decision making and execution that I haven't reached yet.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Awesome! That is the mentality to have man. We feel the same on the matter and that is probably why we are cool with each other :) haha
This mentality is also why I don't respect players who bash others. Especially when they don't have any first places.

We all have mountains to climb and it doesn't make sense to me why some people choose to lol at or talk down at someone who has not reached the top yet while they haven't either. Blows my mind. I believe in helping people up the hill not kicking them down it.

DeLux

Thanks for the doubles lesson today Mekos :D

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I see yer link Luigisama. I'll get to it after I'm done with these other guys.

For Player 1
I used the first match on sv.

Tips
:13 – You guys have to master your grab to followup team combos. This is very crucial. U should get this every time and be in sync for this. You guys come up with a team tactic that u will do. If the ZSS Fthrow sends the opponent in a consistent area maybe you can dair them. Figure this out.

1:30 – This was a good option. That is doubles. Don’t have tunnel vision towards 1v1 battles. You did good here.

1:58 – Things like this keep happening because you guys lack good team spacing. You guys need to focus on mastering the basics doubles fundamentals I teach in this thread.

Both teams are mainly fighting two separate 1v1 battles. This is not good.

Followups - 1 out of 5 – Very very few followups. U had many opportunities for followups but you guys ended up hitting each other because of poor team spacing.
Punishes – 0 out of 5 – I didn’t really see any. Learn how to use your bananas for an easy punish.
Team Tactics – 0 out 5 – I didn’t see any team tactics. You guys are diddy and ZSS! Be creative and develop something. I know you guys can create an infinite with yalls tool set or a team tactic that ***** the other team.
Stayed away from Unneeded 1v1 battles - 2 out of 5 – I saw that you were trying to not focus soley on 1v1 battles even though you ended up in this situation a lot. I gave you a 2 for effort.

Overall Score – 1.5 out of 5
Again this was basically two separate 1v1 battles. Focus on my doubles fundamentals. It will greatly enhance your team. Learn how to use your banana to cut off options and for easy punishes. Learn your partners spacing for her attacks. You ran into a lot of ZSS attacks when you went for followups. You guys both need to have an understanding of when each of you will go in for various situations. This comes with experience and communication (You guys would attack at the same time and that isn’t good. You guys should be attacking after each other for team combos).

Last Tip – ZSS and Diddy both can infinite nana lock characters. I expect you guys to develop some awesome infinite for final 2v1s (on character is dead for good). Also, for your general gameplay learn how to followup after ZSS has stunned the opponent. Figure out which of your moves are best for this. Finally, you guys must master following up after each other. This is crucial.

I understand you guys had a great set and may have had some amazing things happen in the other matches. That is not the point though. It is all about consistency. Hope these tips help you and your team becomes great!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Basically you guys are doing very very little of what makes a team good imo.

I suggest watching my three tips vids and trying to learn the fundamentals taught in them.
I was just giving small suggestions here and there. The basics are here. You guys need to master them and then be creative and make a unique doubles playstyle. Or you can continue to play like the majority and just play two separate singles matches. The decision is yours.

Sorry if your time was wasted.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Basically you guys are doing very very little of what makes a team good imo.

I suggest watching my three tips vids and trying to learn the fundamentals taught in them.
I was just giving small suggestions here and there. The basics are here. You guys need to master them and then be creative and make a unique doubles playstyle. Or you can continue to play like the majority and just play two separate singles matches. The decision is yours.

Sorry if your time was wasted.
Ok cool, I'll make sure to watch the tip videos w/ my teammate next week.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns1Yxlq0Oso I am GnW on the red team.

Me and Sadpanda are just starting to do doubles together, which probably shows in this video.

Aside from the skill gap, what are things we need to work on? I know that now is a good time to get the advise so that we can learn doubles correctly the first time. I am trying to get Panda better with using his bananas so that I can land my smashes on them, but that wasn't until after this video.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I'd show u some vids of me but the only reason we lost is cuz my teammate and i never practiced 2gether...

:sonic:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I also have a match to be critiqued (Separately from Meow's please)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9GBuRESYgs&feature=plcp

I picked this one out being that it's against the higher skilled team. Normally I am pretty terrible in doubles because I take a lot of risks but I finally teamed with someone I did FAIRLY decent with. During the set though, we experimented on who should take the more passive approach and who should go in and it sorta changes but the first match is just fine, the second one is too. This was our first time teaming, Lemme know things we can do as a team better although I'm not sure if we'll team again.

This is another match versus a team with IMO some pretty good chemistry if you would critique that too please http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJYYJ0mXZ4&list=UUwnhsWt3-73_qm_m89bBkfQ&index=5&feature=plcp

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Dude Imma be real with yall. Summer is over and I'm a senior in college. I don't have time to do the write ups anymore.

I want to transition the analysis part to skype.
My skype name is Carrie v. Dewberry

Post yer vid in here and your skype name. We will talk about the vid you post. I believe this will be better anyways.

Top Bottom