• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashpockets

Smash Apprentice
Dudes and dudette, We should take a page from the bendigo scrub tourny.
2:00 Free for alls with items on =D

But seriously, I would want any of these:
4v4 crew battles
Low Tier tourny
Character specific tourny

But not items, becomes more like mario-kart with the high luck factor

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
You can probably still get a 50 depends on the results of others lol, teach me physics Cobalt i have my uni mid year next week.
Also im gonna start a crew, Cobalt, Jei and Earl you guys are in it

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
new rule
every crew has to go by my approval
i dont approve of this crew
ps cobalt is now in SNSD as the 5th member (snsd has 9 members :D )

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wow ant, your so lol, always coming in here **** talking us.

HERECY! If i can comfortably beat me bro's falco with dorfm he should be able to beat IC's. And who in Australia even knows the IC's infinites? If they did they would be instantly the best player in Aus, no contest. Seriously if u guys want to win, spend like 5 hours learning the infinite and u'll be able to 3 stock amaterasu, shaya, anyone even me!!111!1 lolzomg i r not arrogant
LOL, have you even played this game, Ic's have a 99 to 1 matchup with ganon how can anyone beat that,
whats falco got on ganon compared to that?
there are people in australia that know the IC's infinites, I can name a few but they arent 3 stocking anyone, go learn how to play smash properly.

And i thought i was extremely arrogant, u melbournians show me i still have a long, long way to go. I think u should let Ugly speak for himself.

Yeah Condog, im trying to contest that matchup, as i don't think it's that heavily favoured to falco. Falco's lasers can only hold back dorf for so long, he eventually catches up. It's dependant somewhat on the stage i think.
And about IC's chaingrab. It's extremely difficult to not get grabbed, 1 slip up and u lose a stock, and no one in australia is good enough as say Ally, who can avoid their grab.

IC's should definitely be s tier, i guess a 0-death chaingrab on every character except IC's isn't enough these days.
Melbourne arnt arrogant, they are just lol's and always forget how much they got schooled at dont come last year.
But if they **** at interstate tourneys like they just did, then they are allowed to **** talk, until you come here and beat them shut the hell up.

I'm not as good as ally but I can easily avoid the ic's chain, its called nade's and it works.
it works very very well.
also yes falco's lasers can only hold you back for so long, but when you get to him your at 150% and he's a 0%, 1 fsmash gg.

your pretty much proving to everyone that you have no idea what your talking about and as such everybody here thinks that ugly will dorf you, and they are probably right.

I could say vs tibs and aerial plank with MK for 7 minutes, i would win
$20 says you cant win. come down here and try it.

anyways all that aside you've contantly said ant that your better than us and will pwn us, well come down here and try it, dont keep telling us to come to you, you go to the olympics, the olympics dont come to you.

ant: "there's always someone better then you" yeah, this is truth and has been proven in sports talents and hobby's everywhere

however its also been proven that the better than you people are in the ocean so to speak, so until you leave the pond that is SA and come out to the ocean where all the better players gather, you have no leg to stand on.

dekar u failed once to get a reaction out of me, and ur trying again, sigh, children... Go back to school!
if dekar wanted a reaction out of you, he would kick a hole in you like his wall, and you would cry, clearly they dont have to go back to school because unlike you, they passed it.

ok I think I'm done venting, ripping your words apart and making stupid obscure comparisons.

Vermy

Smash Champion
After all that Luke, i have but one thing to point out that you are incorrect on.

LOL, have you even played this game, Ic's have a 99 to 1 matchup with ganon how can anyone beat that,
Its been motioned that its a 0-100 matchup now. :chuckle:

other than that, I'd like to award you this hug. ^_^

Gawd i cannot wait to pwn some interstate arse at Rocky.After Ant's rant a while back about Ivysaur being "the worst character in the game, i'd like to pit it vs his "Pro-S.A-0-Death-DJB's-Snake-Cos-That's-How-Pro-I-Am-Ganondorf".

Spotdodge, bulletseed, gg.

Ant1

Smash Ace
Everything i know about brawl is what i have been told by my brother. So saying i know nothing about brawl is basically saying he knows nothing about brawl. What i'm saying is basically his words. He's the one who told me that IC's chaingrab is a surefire way to win, and if someone knows how to do it they should've won by now.
And the only time's i've said im better than u guys, was probably in a joking sense and playing along with what someone else was saying. Im pretty sure i've never said 'im better than all the east coast' just out of the blue.

More importantly why do i feel the need to prove myself to everyone? when will i ever learn.
Ok starting now then. Plz stop feeding me :D Iit'll be nice if u guys can just leave this here.
On a side note, is there a general brawl discussion thread for Australia? I feel there should be, so as to discuss this and other topics, in a thread topic which it relates to.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
He's the one who told me that IC's chaingrab is a surefire way to win, and if someone knows how to do it they should've won by now.
Watch this. How is it "a surefire way to win" if it's possible to avoid getting grabbed? As far as I know, Lain is the best when it comes to playing the Ice Climbers and pulling off their chain grabs, so your argument isn't valid.

Also, way to put everything on your brother. :ohwell:

I'll give Melbourne its thread back now. Hello bylim. :chuckle:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
well there you go ant, that just goes to prove my point that sa is one tiny little corner of the world and that you guys need to stop being obscure and get out to the rest of the world for exp.

besides I think DJB knows a little more than that about the game, dont just pin it on him.

vermy's got my back. dw vermy at rocky me and toby will teach you how to outcamp snake with PT lol.

Vermy

Smash Champion
lots and lots and lots of watergun XD

i just need moar Snake vs parctice that isnt a cpu -_-;

lain

Smash Master
Or maybe people just get turned off by the steep learning curve involved with learning the Ice Climbers? Getting the chain grabs right with the Ice Climbers is only one part of learning them, and in my opinion, getting the basics right is more important than perfecting the grabs. Getting grabbed may seem hard to avoid, but it certainly isn't impossible. If an Ice Climbers player perfects the grabs, but ignores other important aspects, then they would have a very hard time winning against people who are excellent at avoiding grabs and eliminating Nana. As far as I know, the grab range for the Ice Climbers is tiny, so to say they should be in S tier simply because of their chain grabbing abilities is a bit ridiculous. The tier list is supposed to outline the potential of the characters at the highest level of play, and at that level, getting grabbed is something that shouldn't happen very often.

That said, after watching Lain against Mew2King at Apex, I realised how good the Ice Climbers were without their grabs, and how important it is to not focus on the grab aspect of their game too much.
The smartest words I've heard from someone on IC's metagame in NEVER. good ****.

Browny

Smash Hater
Spup, what makes you assume the IC player is horrible at all aspects of brawl?
theres nothing stopping an already good player picking up IC's and applying all their brawl offensive/defensive knowledge etc, with a free infinite chaingrab as a bonus. I really dont understand this whole notion of such a steep learning curve, for any character. I played the IC's for like the first time in ever yesterday and already can desynch with a 0-40 of the ICG, maybe 1 day of practice and Ill be able to take anyone to 100 reliably with the charged usmash at the end. all the other required knowledge of brawl is already there. hence why brawl is so ****, learning new characters techniques only takes a few days, no tech skill required at all lol

btw vermy, why do i get the feeling the only people who hate wifi are those who have never played it... If you want snake experience (and have a working internet) I can always help :)

swordsaint

Smash Master
I play Wi-fi. I still hate it though. Where else am I supposed to get my Smash practice though? lol

DJB is quite right though, I've been practicing the Ice Climbers chain grabs for a mere 3 days and I can comfortably, and reliably chain grab to 150% repeatedly. In other words- my chain grab in a mere 3 days can kill you.

Though saying that they're "S Tier" or "easy to learn" is still folly. I don't believe it so much as to the degree DJB and Ant do, however I'm not so stubborn as to completely neglect their opinion.

Smoking_Puppy is also right in the sense that their grab range is so small that getting the initial grab against a highly skilled opponent will be difficult in itself, not to mention the insane button mashing that can free you from a chain grab at reasonable percent.

Consider the fact you have both a primary and secondary climber now as well. Keeping them synced or being able to use them correctly desynced takes some sort of practice and skill.

Now I'll take you back to what I said about my chain grab being able to kill. I can kill with it, easily. However, putting that to good use in a match where it's highly likely
your secondary climber will be knocked away even just enough for about 1 single second of button mashing when your primary climber gets the grab. Meaning despite you've managed your grab, there are still means to escape it or avoid the CHAIN GRAB, even if you haven't managed to avoid a single grab. Now remember I said I "can" kill with it, but that's only if I get it and getting it is quite a task indeed, which should not be overlooked.

A few days practice may be enough to ensure sure-fire chain grabbing, but it's no where near enough to have an Ice Climbers which are tournament viable at all.

My rant has come to an end though, but DJB remember that having the theory and having the practical are entirely different, and your own skill doesn't ensure a win no matter how good you are, your mindset and your opponents skill and mindset are both things to consider.

Vermy

Smash Champion
btw vermy, why do i get the feeling the only people who hate wifi are those who have never played it... If you want snake experience (and have a working internet) I can always help :)
I've played wifi before, its not that i hate it, it's just that i cant stand that lag. 0.5 seconds makes all the difference in a game like brawl. I appreciate the offer though. =3
And as soon as i GET a decent internet connection, i may take you up on that.

And wow at Lain's post. I did NOT see that one coming.

@Toby: It can be hugz tiem nao? ^_^

swordsaint

Smash Master
Massive edit is massive. Just took some time to write up lol.

As long as you have a decent internet connection and play with people close-by, wi-fi isn't the devil it's cracked up to be. Using it for match-up experience and the like is what it's for, it was never meant to replace offline, just a tool to better yourself.

Just try to remember wifi is both for lols and experience, not entirely for competition or to win. (something i sometimes forget :p) You can still learn from it, just don't go overboard.

S.D

Smash Master
theres nothing stopping an already good player picking up IC's and applying all their brawl offensive/defensive knowledge etc, with a free infinite chaingrab as a bonus. I really dont understand this whole notion of such a steep learning curve, for any character. I played the IC's for like the first time in ever yesterday and already can desynch with a 0-40 of the ICG, maybe 1 day of practice and Ill be able to take anyone to 100 reliably with the charged usmash at the end. all the other required knowledge of brawl is already there. hence why brawl is so ****, learning new characters techniques only takes a few days, no tech skill required at all lol

I've played wifi and I hate it.

However I have come home at 4am drunk as **** and demand shaya play me on wifi.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lol, when will someone mention to DJB that ONE ice climber naturally cgs 0-40% like the entire cast... HAHAHAH.

It took me 2 and a half seconds to be able to cg 0-40% with ice climbers.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
What makes you assume that I'm making that assumption? :p I guess the main point I was trying to make is that the Ice Climbers' grab game isn't everything when it comes to playing them, and that claiming the Ice Climbers to be S tier material purely based on their grabs is not warranted. Of course, perfecting the chain grabs is very important in order to be a great Ice Climbers player, but it's not something that one should rely too much on.

I think there would be many more people maining the Ice Climbers if it's as easy to learn them as you say it is. It's a pretty big call to say that it's easy to pick up and apply the chain grabs to your game effectively. As far as I know, applying the chain grabs is different for all characters in one way or another, and to become familiar with that is something that must take a considerable amount of time. Then there's the issues of saving Nana from separation/gimps, being capable of playing effectively enough with a lone Ice Climber, and making use of various desync tactics. I think it's safe to say that dealing with all this and pulling it off in a high-level tournament effectively warrants a steep learning curve. But whatever, if you can pick up the Ice Climbers and use them effectively in a couple of days (especially when it took Lain several months to perfect one aspect of the Ice Climbers) then kudos to you.

I'm not even going to bother arguing against your "Brawl is **** because it's easy to pick up the characters" statement, lol.

lain said:
The smartest words I've heard from someone on IC's metagame in NEVER. good ****.
Well I didn't see that coming! Cheers for that. :)

On a completely unrelated note, Captain Falcon is all about the legs. inb4 Bjay

lain

Smash Master
theres nothing stopping an already good player picking up IC's and applying all their brawl offensive/defensive knowledge etc, with a free infinite chaingrab as a bonus.
That one sentence is wrong for so many reasons.

I played the IC's for like the first time in ever yesterday and already can desynch with a 0-40 of the ICG, maybe 1 day of practice and Ill be able to take anyone to 100 reliably with the charged usmash at the end.
1. I bet you can't desync and make it useful
2. 0-40 means nothing. You need 0-deaths. It's different to do for every character (although there is generalization between weights) in timing AND spacing. Also, try playing a good player with IC's. They OBVIOUSLY know 1 grab = death, but in this game it is disgustingly easy to run away and not get grabbbed by any agile character. IC vs MK is completely even because I can wreck him off of one grab, and if MK splits us up at all he can pretty much 0-death her.

Oh and it's ****ing NERVE-RACKING to chaingrab in tourney.

all the other required knowledge of brawl is already there. hence why brawl is so ****, learning new characters techniques only takes a few days, no tech skill required at all lol
Now see, because you're so homogenized on melee and how technical it was, you're lead to believe that Brawl has no depth to it. It's not about learning new character techniques and AT's or any other stupid crap. It's not about how technical someone is (ahem Diddy Kong) to play, it's about out smarting the other person.

Brawl is a wholly different game to play. Yes of course some of the same mechanics are utilized here, but the way to really play this are pretty different.

btw vermy, why do i get the feeling the only people who hate wifi are those who have never played it... If you want snake experience (and have a workin.
Wifi is terrible. :p

Btw, I played melee. And I loved it, still do. I just prefer Brawl because I think it has more depth (and it's way more fun).

Nixernator

Smash Ace
@Lain: I vaguely remember DJ saying he never played Melee competitively, he was stating that anyone who was an already decent (not scrub) brawl player could switch to IC. They could then apply their already existing skills (Zoning, Spacing, Timing, Mindgames etc etc) to IC, while learning the CG/Desynchs. Using their preexisting DECENT skills they would be able to probably land about 1 grab per stock and wreck their opponents of a similar skill level. (I think lol) I don't agree for personal reasons but I don't think you got his argument correctly.

Also Wifi is secks XD

Edit: I think I covered your answer in mine DJ, lol

Browny

Smash Hater
btw lain, i've never played melee properly lol, didnt even know what a wavedash or 'shine' was till 2008 :p Dont need any fighting game experience to know brawl is very easy to learn :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wow, great work guys, you spouted out so much **** that THE ice climbers player had to come and tell you how wrong you were.
get *****.

also wifi is very very bad, everyone I know (most of the smash scene) that hates it has played it at some point or another, we're not all just mindless teenage girls who go along with everyone else's opinion. (well maybe shaya...)

lain

Smash Master
For some reason it's just been hilarity in here.

btw I sigged that. But I can't show it right now for some reason. Oh well.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
wooo, well last night was fun ^_^. lawl i was a lil bit hyperactive at stages (nearly got hit by a tram 4 times and just went insane in the city in general) but the night was awesome xD

the brawl was fun, but i actually played alot of melee too XD even though i was pretty shocking at it (sorry dekar for dying too much, oh well got a couple of wins anyways yay) still was the funzors. you can teach me how to get betters Redact =P lolol since we played a good ammount of 1v1s

Anyways yeah epic times xD dammit i was supposed to take photos! naw well ill make sure to remember next time...

Conor portugasimed at nandos lmao
most awesome shop <3 Oh yeah i had mother and got really hyper lolol

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Awesome night last night dudes, thanks for coming everyone =D had lots of really fun matches, up until my controller broke ;_; thanks nicks and bryan for letting me use theirs hehe

Glad you could come redact, played melee for the lols, gawd i suck so much XD then theres earl and nicks who come along and **** at melee wtf lolol

@leish: seriously, i had to stop you getting hit twice O_o you were sooo hyper especially at melbourne central XDXDXD and yeah nandos is AWESOME i can t believe ive never had it before >_>

PS: Billy, Julian and Leisha are chibis <3

Ugly Man

Smash Apprentice
Wish I could have come. Unfortunately the big boss at work has been told to cut $4k of wages from the payroll a month. In essence, what this means is that if work is offered, I grab it and I do it.

Also, conversations about Melee in this thread make me want to kill puppies. Do you want me to kill puppies? DO YOU!?!

Condog: You've never had Nando's before?! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU BOY!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Condog: You've never had Nando's before?! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU BOY!
I know man, what the **** is wrong with me?! I mean seriously!!! Its like the best thing ive ever tasted!!! WHY DIDNT ANYBODY TELL ME????!!!

EDIT: Bowser plushie is win :3

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I know man, what the **** is wrong with me?! I mean seriously!!! Its like the best thing ive ever tasted!!! WHY DIDNT ANYBODY TELL ME????!!!
The food snob in me is raging! Actually come to think of it, the reason why I didn't turn up yesterday was because I didn't want to spoil the feeling and mood of being completely satisfied from a French Bistro with the BRoomers. I think I left Chez Olivier at about 11. Oh well, next time!

Ugly Man

Smash Apprentice
The food snob in me is raging! Actually come to think of it, the reason why I didn't turn up yesterday was because I didn't want to spoil the feeling and mood of being completely satisfied from a French Bistro with the BRoomers. I think I left Chez Olivier at about 11. Oh well, next time!
Settle Foodie. I like a nice night at Vlado's as much as the next guy, but half a chicken for $15-odd that tastes pretty good is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom