• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee at EVO 2014? Vote here!

Handorin

Smash Hero
Time to jump on it, guys. We didn't raise $90000 for nothing.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Time to jump on it, guys. We didn't raise $90000 for nothing.

Exactly! I was quite shocked to find out that no-one had posted this link on smashboards

Copy and paste:

@EvilMrWizard
Super Smash Bros. Melee to Evo!

E: I guess no one cares, nvm

If Smash4 happened to not suck and relase before EVO 2014, I'd like to see it there. The Smash scene could phenomenally explode in popularity. That happened when SF4 launched. We have the well established community and stuff to support a flood of newcomers and stuff

Yobolight

Smash Lord
If Smash4 happened to not suck and relase before EVO 2014, I'd like to see it there. The Smash scene could phenomenally explode in popularity. That happened when SF4 launched. We have the well established community and stuff to support a flood of newcomers and stuff
Let me let you in on something you should know by now.

SMASH 4 WILL NOT HAVE A LIVE TOURNAMENT SCENE.

This is because the WiiU has no WIRED controllers. The wireless controllers will INTERFERE with one another and thus massive tournaments like EVO are IMPOSSIBLE for the WiiU.

EVEN IF SMASH 4 is GODLIKE it CANNOT have a LIVE Tournament scene.

Melee is really the ONLY Smash game with a CHANCE of getting into EVO.

Let me let you in on something you should know by now.

SMASH 4 WILL NOT HAVE A LIVE TOURNAMENT SCENE.

This is because the WiiU has no WIRED controllers. The wireless controllers will INTERFERE with one another and thus massive tournaments like EVO are IMPOSSIBLE for the WiiU.

EVEN IF SMASH 4 is GODLIKE it CANNOT have a LIVE Tournament scene.

Melee is really the ONLY Smash game with a CHANCE of getting into EVO.

I heard the Wii U pro controller uses a wired connection

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you don't tweet Mr Wizard, you're a ***** that wants Melee to die. It only takes 3,600 frames to get on twitter and type some variation of "Super Smash Bros. Melee".

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Why the **** are people voting Smash U? -_-
Any Brawl players would vote for it as chances are they would prefer it over Melee. Other could be people who seem Melee at evo and enjoyed watching it but are not smash players and thus don't know the games well enough to be savvy about the differences and what Makes Brawl and likely SmashU a worse spectator game. These people would vote SmashU because it will be the new one and the FGC is all about the newest version of the games even if they are not the best.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Please don't vote for smash u guys. The last time we tried to put the newest smash game at evo we got removed from its line up for 5 years

Yobolight

Smash Lord
If you want Melee at EVO you have to communicate to people that EVEN if SMASH 4 is Jesus Christ on Disk it CANNOT be a large scale tournament game because the WiiU does not support any form of WIRED CONTROLLER.

GAME OVER for Smash4 tournaments (Even if the game is incredible).

If people knew that it was impossible, they wouldn't be wasting their vote like this.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
If you want Melee at EVO you have to communicate to people that EVEN if SMASH 4 is Jesus Christ on Disk it CANNOT be a large scale tournament game because the WiiU does not support any form of WIRED CONTROLLER.

GAME OVER for Smash4 tournaments (Even if the game is incredible).

If people knew that it was impossible, they wouldn't be wasting their vote like this.
it may not be impossible, we don't know, maybe Nintendo will release a wired controller.

stelzig

Smash Lord
It has a USB cord but it's only for charging.
Can you really connect the wii u controllers with USB and use it on a different console at the same time? That sounds so weird to me lol. You'd think it'd automatically sync to that console or something...

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
^^^
The USB cord that the Pro controller comes with is literally only for charging. You can plug it into an Xbox for all I care and it won't do anything beyond charge it :p
It's a bluetooth device, basically the same as a Wiimote. You sync it to your console, and it will work for that console. If you sync it to a different console it won't work on yours. That should be pretty self explanatory.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
hey srs question

why did smashboards raise 90k to have smash at evo? wouldn't it have been better to use that 90k to host a potentially better tournament?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
hey srs question

why did smashboards raise 90k to have smash at evo? wouldn't it have been better to use that 90k to host a potentially better tournament?
Because EVO is a big name and easier to get people to raise money for than a tourney that is "promised" to be better. Also it's EVO

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Because EVO is a big name and easier to get people to raise money for than a tourney that is "promised" to be better. Also it's EVO
how could you not throw a better tournament with a 90k budget o_O

Is EVO really that big of a name? Does the smash community actually care about being associated with EVO to pay 90k?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
how could you not throw a better tournament with a 90k budget o_O

Is EVO really that big of a name? Does the smash community actually care about being associated with EVO to pay 90k?
It's the biggest fighting game tourney in the world. Every fighting game wants to be associated with it

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I suppose. It's still not that big. It has 15k likes on Facebook while MLG has nearly 400k.
Facebook likes isn't really a great judge. EVO happens 3 days out of the year while MLG has long season so it gets more exposure. Also, smash did break the record for most people on a stream for a fighting game (UMvC3 broke it later.)

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
It's also an established name, which is why it got the donations it did. If you have some person saying "Hey, give me 90k so I can host the best melee tournament in history", you don't really know where exactly the money is going to go, if it's in fact going to be a good tournament, etc.

On the other hand, we know EVO is a great tournament, and not only that, but it was also a charity event to raise money for breast cancer. Most charities get at least a couple of thousand bucks because most people genuinely want to help, and this was a great way to do that and also support something you really love getting the recognition it deserves.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pretty sure smash4 will be a 2014 holiday release at best.

No known wired controls means not worth trying to figure out for evo 2014. 2015 maybe for smash4

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure that there was a Brawl tournament that was on because I accidentally left up ClashTournaments on twitch where they demonstrated using Gamecube controllers on the WiiU with a converter of some sort (for Brawl). I kept watching it because I was bored. Apparently Zero couldn't really find any lag if I remember correctly. If that is a viable option, probably not, then Smash U could be at EVO. I would rather see Melee personally, but I guess Smash U would be pretty alright if we had wired controllers.

In any case, does Melee for EVO 2014 mean we need to start communicating with Nintendo right now so we don't have something as big as a pregnancy scare three days before the tournament?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
You can use a GC controller, but it still isn't wired because its wired to another wireless controller

Max?

Smash Champion
Just stating this here and now so I can reference it in a year or so. Smash 4 will suck 100%, no chance of it being good. The trailer with Sonic more or less showed it's Brawl 2.0.

I'd like to be proving wrong, but probably not gonna happen

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The problem with wireless controllers is not the lag, etc.

It's the fact that wireless controllers emit wireless signals, and when too many are in one room it causes a huge amount of interferences which are impossible to deal with in a tournament/competitive environment.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
If it's impossible to have a tournament with wireless controllers how on earth does the FPS crowed hold them? Don't they use your standard wireless 360/PS3 controller?

Top Bottom