• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Back Room Reopening

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I read this and then look at your title and I feel a deep sadness within my heart.
you mean smash director? That just means I've hosted tourneys before >_>. All I know is someone said brawl players were ban happy, and to the contrary all I read about brawl was adding stages. When brawl started there were tons of stages banned and they kept making more tourney legal, like poke stadium. So I think my statement has a basis in fact.

posts like yours confuse me. I say something legitimate and then someone quotes me and says something about how sad they are that people say things like this. Like when I said people were wrong for saying cunning kitsune's fox faq had everything you needed to know, and I said it wasn't up to date because it was really old and didn't have any hitlag data for smash DI(something I had tried to find on SDM's faqs and wanted to know), and Sveet quotes me and says something about how people will see my post and think I'm smart because I was correct for the wrong reason and how that made him sad inside or something. I couldn't quite figure out what on earth was wrong about what I said. There IS no hitlag data in SDM's faq or kitsune's, because all of kitsune's data came from SDM, and therefore since the thread was made asking for some info, but was not specified and everyone seemed to think the OP was an idiot for not going straight to the faq, including Sveet, I posted saying why they were potentially wrong, and I get made fun of for it. Thankfully Eggz came to my defense before the thread closed. Similarly, the number of tourney legal stages in brawl have been increasing over time, and therefore people saying brawl players are ban happy are idiots.

Basically the summary of that is that Eggz is awesome and intelligent, and should be in the MBR.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I agree with everyone on that list.

EXPECIALLY PAKMAN

But too be honest shiz is barely active on SWF anymore

As for stages

You keep brinstar but remove corneria... : /

Brinstar is dumb

Vro

Smash Lord
I don't understand why regular members can't at least view things discussed by the MBR. Policy Review affects all of the melee community. Why can't we see the line of thinking of the MBR?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Because they want people to see their finished discussion: having a restricted forum cuts down on the large volume of noise that may or may not actually contain anything useful towards what they are saying. Observing/ working on a project where they have separate casual and developer (or in this case, SBR) subforums is a useful, as they don't have to deal w/ people who aren't gonna be helpful. Yes, that means that some insight may be overlooked, but if that's the case, it can be brought up when they release their discussion/decisions to the general public (Their tier list thread, or recommended rule list, zB)

EDIT for clarity: if we could see it (even if unable to post directly, it would undoubtedly increase the amount to PMs from people trying to indirectly affect their judgement/discussion), so the general gist of my above paragraph stands XD

Banks

Smash Hero
I would like to be in the SBR if not just for playing tournaments since 2005 and being/posting on smashboards since then. I'm not really sure of the qualifications you look at when accepting someone, but I think you could beef up the MBR populous just by inviting tournament placers who have consistently attended events for the past half decade...

Not saying that everyone of those people have 100% great informative posts or wonderful helpful threads, but they at least know a lot about the game and competitive scene to add something to MBR topics and discussions. I doubt anyone would spam the MBR with useless **** if they were invited, myself included..

summary: let me in *cries tears of sadness*

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i main dk now, and i havent been mean to any mods in a while, can i be in

also good stage list

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
you mean smash director? That just means I've hosted tourneys before >_>. All I know is someone said brawl players were ban happy, and to the contrary all I read about brawl was adding stages. When brawl started there were tons of stages banned and they kept making more tourney legal, like poke stadium. So I think my statement has a basis in fact.
I think bobson was referring to the fact that you seemed to ridicule people who believe that Pictochat is a fair stage, a sentiment that he (and I) agree with.

Anyway, my friends are telling me that I shouldn't worry about this lack of diversity in the new stage list because no one follows SBR anyway. I sure do hope they're right. Embrace diversity :)

As for making the SBR public for viewing, well, C-SPAN gives all of us here in America live feeds of Congress, so I'm not sure why we shouldn't do the same for SBR. If anything, it'd pre-empt arguments from the general body that the SBR already had to hear and discuss.

GofG

Smash Champion
I hope the MBR is nothing like congress. Ill-informed old people who aren't involved enough in being a citizen to actually think about the laws they're making.

Rappster

Smash Ace
with teams, it seems like there are different roles that are important: support, offense, etc.
i think it would be necessary to make at least two categories to make a valid tier list.

as an analogy, in RPGs you really can't say the best tank > best DPS or best DPS>Best healer.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
reposting.......

Even though I dislike Pokemon Stadium, I don't see why it was placed on the CP list over the other neutrals. I thought Pokemon Stadium was considered one of the more neutral stages because it was one of the few stages allowed in crews.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NeoAkira

Smash Apprentice
Well, extreme massive gay camping like this can happen. lol Very hard to play against super camping, especially when you can't really move as fast enough as your opponent to catch them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ8l-XQQ1Yg

Actually, thinking about it, I thought of a solution to relieve the problem.

When playing PokeFloats, the stock time limit is removed. This may sound stupid at first, but it works for two reasons:

1. Not that many people (and I mean very few) actually CP it at tournaments so the idea of people dragging on a tournament due to extreme camping at PokeFloats is a statistical anomaly to say the least.
2. Removing the time limit for the level takes away the strategy of extreme camping, since it gains the camper nothing since there's no time limit.

This would, then, effectively make PokeFloats a viable counterpick again.

This is assuming that the only complain against it is camping to waste time. If there are other reasons I'd like to hear them as I think it's a shame to get rid of a level as spectacularly fun to watch/play on as PokeFloats.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace

When playing PokeFloats, the stock time limit is removed. This may sound stupid at first, but it works for two reasons:

1. Not that many people (and I mean very few) actually CP it at tournaments so the idea of people dragging on a tournament due to extreme camping at PokeFloats is a statistical anomaly to say the least.
2. Removing the time limit for the level takes away the strategy of extreme camping, since it gains the camper nothing since there's no time limit.

This is assuming that the only complain against it is camping to waste time. If there are other reasons I'd like to hear them as I think it's a shame to get rid of a level as spectacularly fun to watch/play on as PokeFloats.
there are many reasons to argue its ban...i won't go into reasons because i'm lazy, but you can still camp with fox till you get the opponent to 120 percent and then hit with a nair and kill them...you don't HAVE to camp to time out...you can just camp to gain percentage on the opponent.

NeoAkira

Smash Apprentice
there are many reasons to argue its ban...i won't go into reasons because i'm lazy, but you can still camp with fox till you get the opponent to 120 percent and then hit with a nair and kill them...you don't HAVE to camp to time out...you can just camp to gain percentage on the opponent.
New rule: Fox is banned on PokeFloats.

Everyone's happy now :p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

posts like yours confuse me. I say something legitimate and then someone quotes me and says something about how sad they are that people say things like this. Like when I said people were wrong for saying cunning kitsune's fox faq had everything you needed to know, and I said it wasn't up to date because it was really old and didn't have any hitlag data for smash DI(something I had tried to find on SDM's faqs and wanted to know), and Sveet quotes me and says something about how people will see my post and think I'm smart because I was correct for the wrong reason and how that made him sad inside or something. I couldn't quite figure out what on earth was wrong about what I said. There IS no hitlag data in SDM's faq or kitsune's, because all of kitsune's data came from SDM, and therefore since the thread was made asking for some info, but was not specified and everyone seemed to think the OP was an idiot for not going straight to the faq, including Sveet, I posted saying why they were potentially wrong, and I get made fun of for it. Thankfully Eggz came to my defense before the thread closed. Similarly, the number of tourney legal stages in brawl have been increasing over time, and therefore people saying brawl players are ban happy are idiots.

Basically the summary of that is that Eggz is awesome and intelligent, and should be in the MBR.
LOL i remember that post... if you link me to it, i'll try to explain what i meant.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
ban metaknight.

done.
Guys, I have a great idea. Let's limit ledge grabs. Say, 40 per match.
Even better, let's just ban Meta Knight, that will solve all our problems.[/quote]

All Melee tournaments should definitely have "Metaknight Banned" somewhere in the rules.
MBR- The room with the balls to tackle the Metaknight issue.
Where the hell have you been?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master

except that although camping does work like that with a time limit, campers have to stay at a lower percentage than their opponent to be viable. Thus, if they are doing it correctly, a time limit is not needed, because they'll be able to kill first anyways. You could say that the person being camped then has no reason to approach, except if there is no time limit and no one approaches the match never ends and the tournament collapses XD.

Lovage

Smash Hero
can we organize a team to remake the advanced terms and techs glossary?

there's a lot of outdated and dumb terms as well as some new and needed terms.

Silk

Smash Apprentice
well theres stages that give them advantages, and then stages that give them ridiculous advantages. if you had a stage with only 1 or 2 of those features and not all of them, then it would be an advantageous stage. If you have all of them, you have a stage about on the same level as how good fox is on onett.

hey, neo's roy even got ken's fox down to one stock on onett, it must not be THAT broken of a stage....
I agree with this post.

I also support having Spider-Man make such posts.

I won't listen to most smashers.

But I will listen to Spider-Man.

Vro

Smash Lord
I still haven't seen a good reason as to why the general populace is BLIND to MBR discussion. I don't understand how all of us accept: 1) The MBR is a group of elitists/senior members/friends 2) They don't need to share a cent of anything to anyone until the decision is already made 3) They blindfold the community to any actions or plans they may have.

I can accept 1. The point of the MBR isn't to please everyone and to find the "best possible" members of each area. 2 is a little harder to accept because it's like taking a dish from a restaurant without a menu. Sure the chef knows what his specialty is, but we as customers (the general populace) shouldn't be forced fed something especially if 3 had anything to do with it. I don't understand how it could be beneficial to EXCLUDE viewing.

You guys aren't making secret schematics. Maybe not every post is worth reading back there. The simple matter of the fact is, you're putting down every single Melee player who still cares about the community. Why involve yourself actively if the backroom will only allow discussion after the fact? I have yet to see anything resolve after the fact.

I cannot believe this.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Vro i havent had it explained to me, but my guess is its for the better of the projects and the people.

For example, if a group of people were debating on an issue and everyone could read it, the posters might be more inclined to hold their tongue or actually be pressured by the public to change their opinion. Sort of how politicians have to vote for things because the people who give them money want them to. Like iggy might get pressured by the purdue kids, where with it private they have no idea whats going on there and the individuals' roles in the final product would be anonymous. IMO thats better than all the purdue people reading every post iggy makes and coming up to him and being like "hey dude, that thing you posted in MBR was totally bogus. How could you be with banning floats? That stage rocks!" and harassing him over it.

Then theres also the fact that nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Nobody needs to see every MBR's worst mistake post or idea. Its just embarrassing. I'd rather have them make all their mistakes while debating with other smart people and work them all out in private and announce their final decision to the public as a group effort.

While I would love to read and contribute as much as you, I think its overall better for the efficiency of their work and the privacy of the members that it works like this.

Vro

Smash Lord
At the very least, we should see thread titles in the MBR. That way the general populace can discuss it in Melee Discussion, which needs desperate resuscitation.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Someone already brought up the fact that having the backroom viewable would spawn a lot of unnessecary clutter in melee discussion. If that happened, basically the backroom would be open to everyone, and would no longer be a backroom. Everytime someone saw a post they didn't agree with, they would just quote it and put it in another thread and argue with it. If you really want an effective way to both have a legitimate uncluttered debate as well as community feedback, you result in this thread. The backroom came to a decision, and posted the results of the decision, as well as their reasoning behind the decision. Then discussion from the general populace follows. If change is necessitated by a non MBR member who brings up a valid point, the first post is changed to reflect it.

In general, the only reason to make the MBR viewable as its decisions are being made is if you want to actively comment and debate with the posts. In which case you should be IN the MBR or, like you're saying, the community should be free to discuss it, then why have a backroom at all? We all know how THAT would go. We'd have a thread filled with some sensible discussion and a million people who think they know what they're talking about but are really just spamming the thread, and possibly convincing other uninformed people that they're correct.

Leave things as they are, and discuss decisions after they're made. If enough people agree with you and other memebers of the community, changes will be made.

Not to mention it's not like backroom decisions have ANY influence at all. If a TO doesn't choose to use this ruleset, he can.

I think the best solution would be after a conclusion is reached, move the MBR topic to melee discussion so that people can see the entire though process behind the decision.

Lovage

Smash Hero
have they ever tried letting the backroom be viewable? (the active backroom, not that weird one)

ITS WORTH A SHOT

Rat

Smash Lord

I do think that the MBR should be viewable. If our peasant opinions don't contribute to the overall discussion, at least let us argue in the lowly Melee forum.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Making the backroom viewable would clutter up the Melee Discussion? This doesn't actually seem like it would be a bad thing, looking at the state of Melee Discussion. Seriously, most of the most recent threads I see besides the tier list discussion and the Q&A thread are random threads about Melee-related life or what button to use. At least making the BR viewable would spawn relevant, if cluttered, discussion rather than the latest treatise on the pros and cons of the jump buttons.

bobson

Smash Lord
My post was in reference to the fact that you seem to have some flawed idea that would lead you to believe that Pictochat is bannable and that Brawl players don't ban enough, and your title would imply that you have hosted tournaments to that effect. And that makes me sad.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Or you could do what they did with SSB4 and make discussion of it moddable outside of a specified thread

Like give people a thread to talk about what they think of the discussion but make it moddable elsewhere

Top Bottom