• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuron_Panzer

Smash Rookie
Ultimately rules don't matter right now as Mr Wizard and the EVO organizers have said the community of whatever game wins can collectively pick the ruleset, they won't force anything on anyone - so the important thing right now is to win.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Lol yeah someone check that out I can't donate either, at the end of the process it doesn't go through. Are we the only ones? :troll:

:phone:

zmx

Smash Lord
I must say, I'm mainly a Brawl player that's gotten into Melee recently but I really want Melee to win. I feel it will do a lot to change the perception of Smash as a whole.

Also, I think Smash will bring much more to the table than Skullgirls at this years Evo. Skullgirls is a tradtional 2D fighter based off Marvel with a lot of it's mechanics in tact. Melee is something truly unique.

Not to mention, it's bound to get more entrants and viewers.

Life

Smash Hero
it's funnier because they're probably only donating like a few cents, incurring that 50-cent surcharge every time, they're probably paying more in processing fees than they are donating to Melee

borre619

Smash Rookie
Yes!!

in a common day I guess i'd be playing melee but not today, today i've been refreshing the skullgirls/melee donation pages so many times!! And i'm so happy of watching melees donations raising and skullgirls staying the same :awesome:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
By the way, I emailed Dean Harrington. He is the voice actor for the melee menu.

The one that says "MELEEEE!!!"

and all the other classic lines we've heard a million times because we played the game like crazy.

I asked him if he'd be interested in this charity for breast cancer by recording for our donations. I thought people might be willing to throw down some money for that.

I emailed him yesterday, no response yet. I didn't have my hopes too high, but since it's probably his work email he's more likely to respond tomorrow. If he doesn't, then that's that.

I was curious though if this was an idea that people actually like though?
We could get him to say player names like "Mango, Hungrybox, Mewtwoking" or maybe the brawl newcomers and have his voice in Project M. Or whatever.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it. Obviously I got the idea from Skullgirls...

Captain Falcon's voice actor is really famous btw, does Vegeta, and is from Japan. I think he is out of the question unfortunately.

If we could ask though, I'm sure he'd say "YES!!"
(Yeah, I just used that soundbite in another thread)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
it's funnier because they're probably only donating like a few cents, incurring that 50-cent surcharge every time, they're probably paying more in processing fees than they are donating to Melee
Haha I notice that it usually goes to .19.

Some people aren't covering their processing fee!

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Vulcan!

Dude, where have you been. It's been ages.

Smooth Criminal
Working my *** off, and then spending my subsequent earnings, creating a vicious cycle.
I just decided to drop by when I heard about this whole EVO thing. Depending on how this new job I've got works out, I may even get back into the game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Working my *** off, and then spending my subsequent earnings, creating a vicious cycle.
I just decided to drop by when I heard about this whole EVO thing. Depending on how this new job I've got works out, I may even get back into the game.
Sweet. It'd be great to see you around the forums again, man.

Smooth Criminal

Atlus8

Smash Master
Is there any particular reason that Skullgirls wants this? It seems to me that the 21k+ from this drive would do so much more good for the game going to Lab Zero rather than towards getting into EVO.

I mean, the 360 version doesn't have an official release of the current version, they've got 8 characters of a promised 10, and they are the indy-est of indy studios at this point.

There's so much work to be done, and this much money would be a phenominal help to the development of a still ongoing project
So...the community wants the unfinished game on the grand stage of EVO more than they want the game to be finished proper, and then further refined to be as good as it possibly can be?

This doesn't make any sense. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Is there any particular reason that Skullgirls wants this? It seems to me that the 21k+ from this drive would do so much more good for the game going to Lab Zero rather than towards getting into EVO.

I mean, the 360 version doesn't have an official release of the current version, they've got 8 characters of a promised 10, and they are the indy-est of indy studios at this point.

There's so much work to be done, and this much money would be a phenominal help to the development of a still ongoing project
So...the community wants the unfinished game on the grand stage of EVO more than they want the game to be finished proper, and then further refined to be as good as it possibly can be?

This doesn't make any sense. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?
idk
if we win, that's all their money wasted though

LLDL

Smash Hero
The money is not wasted, because they donated to breast cancer research out of the kindness of their hearts, with the possibility of evo on behalf of their donations being a bonus

:awesome:

Number 13

Smash Rookie
No, The $ That Mike Z and Lab Zero would need is MUCH MUCH more then what both of us combined has raised. To put things into Perspective it takes Roughly $200,000 Just to develop one dlc character thats on the backlog. There is like 30+ characters additional that are planned for the game. Thats not considering other content like New Stages,Music,VA, etc

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
They made a statement. They want to play the game on the big stage. This drive is nothing but good advertisement and 30k is nothing compared to people picking up the game. Besides, the same can be said for us, why didn't we just hold our own tournament with the money? Cause this is evo, we want it bad. So do they.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
They made a statement. They want to play the game on the big stage. This drive is nothing but good advertisement and 30k is nothing compared to people picking up the game. Besides, the same can be said for us, why didn't we just hold our own tournament with the money? Cause this is evo, we want it bad. So do they.
and this is why we better win this

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
If we win this, WHEN we win this, we're gonna have a lot of names to thank for their help. Ripple just put $200 in after Oddler finished Ocarina of Time on the Zelda stream. The number of awesome people this month is insane. This Spirit Bomb is gonna be beautiful.

Laijin

Smash Hero
No, The $ That Mike Z and Lab Zero would need is MUCH MUCH more then what both of us combined has raised. To put things into Perspective it takes Roughly $200,000 Just to develop one dlc character thats on the backlog. There is like 30+ characters additional that are planned for the game. Thats not considering other content like New Stages,Music,VA, etc
The ****.
Why would it take 200k to develop a character? What the hell are they paying the artists? In gold? Jesuschrist.

I'm calling complete bull**** on that price tag

I'd actually like to see some sort of breakdown on that, if you have it handy. It seems a little excessive, but I won't lie and say I'm not a tad ignorant on Skullgirls' design process and budget.

That's the thing, though. Our game isn't going to change. Our game is done. Our game is made by a multi-national corporation. Our game has never had an entry that wasn't among the best selling games on the console it was made for. Our community was in it's infancy back in '01.

Regardless of EVO, Smash will go on. We want this for our community, and for the future. And if we lose, we will still survive.

Skullgirls has the advantage of the developers being active in the community, but not a whole lot else. Their resources are very limited, and I feel that the community going all-in on this drive is a little...rash.

But hey, that's just me. If 21k truly wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for Lab Zero, I can see why the donation drive might seem like the best option.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
The ****.
Why would it take 200k to develop a character? What the hell are they paying the artists? In gold? Jesuschrist.

I'm calling complete bull**** on that price tag
No, there's a lot more to it than just paying the artists and the coders. Microsoft has some really stupid costs for DLC.

Number 13

Smash Rookie
200k per character is actually relatively cheap for fighting game standards...The Issue is the whole Autumn Games Lawsuit thing slowing Down SG progress alot. The 1st Dlc was 1/3 complete when it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom