• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Top 10 sets of all time?
This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3RTOnbrZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-OHEdx1Bfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZVLOEumaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEBIRht3cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqM3rsJ7Sg

Also Ken vs Bombsoldier has to be in there too. And when PC Chris unseats Ken. And the M2k PC Chris Evo set(s).

There's probably too much important history remembered in sets (at this point) to really cover smash's needs in only 10. And that's ignoring other motivations like character diversity. Really going back, there's this ancient bit of smash play that is really remarkable we even have a relic like that.

Really good sets with character diversity?
Husband vs Isai at MLG Atlanta 2005 (First three are CF vs Marth, 4th is Link vs Marth, 5th is Sheik vs Marth)

PC Chris vs M2k MLG Long Island 2007 is remarkable too, although between the two sets, the second has a better story it tells.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
/v/ and /vg/ are filled with people who think we're all ****ing autistic that we play Smash competitively. (troll or not troll)

They can be as pissed as they want.

Who gives 2 ****s about them lol.

No one should care about a group of people who think you have a mental deficiency because you play a game like this competitively.

>implying /v/ isn't just tsundere
>implying they can pass the boundary of skill that separates them from the casuals that they complain about

:smirk:

LLDL

Smash Hero
Shiz vs falcomist was close, and hype, but I don't think it was that good...The only amazing thing about it was really amazing was the ending. It's not like shiz vs m2k where its never before seen every 10 seconds.

There's probably too much important history remembered in sets (at this point) to really cover smash's needs in only 10. And that's ignoring other motivations like character diversity. Really going back, there's this ancient bit of smash play that is really remarkable we even have a relic like that.
WTF. That's the first time I have ever seen anything older than like 2005. And it happens to be an '02 video. Wow.

Gea

Smash Master
Apparently at evo in 07, Some guys stole some stuff during the smash tourney?
No, the theft thing you're hearing about happened recently at Apex, a smash tournament in itself. No one knows if it was even smash players that did the theft and this community will likely donate to recoup the losses because we love our TOs.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
And blacklist the culprits should they be tourney goers and the authorities would be alerted should it be a student or any civilian. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it, however if I hear people in the FGC start labeling smashers as thieves (not that they have yet) I'd be sad faced.

There are a lot of misconceptions about smashers probably made by successful trolls. Things like apparently how melee specifically told CPU (the Evo brAwl champion) to pay his winnings out to ken for using items. Even I would hope people could see the flawed logic there.

:phone:

Spyro

Smash Ace
/v/ and /vg/ are filled with people who think we're all ****ing autistic that we play Smash competitively. (troll or not troll)
ALL COMPETITVE SMASH CHEAT AND USE GLITCHES BRAH, I COULD BEAT ALL OF THOSE ******* IF THEY DIDNT CHEAT BRAH!

/flawlesscasualplayerlogic

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
why are we talking about /v/ and /vg/

everybody in those boards (especially /v/) is ********

/r9k/ occasionally has smash threads and those threads are legitly fun

I feel somewhat privileged that I do not understand what any of this /(insert character)/ stuff means. Including that I am not familiar with such contents of the forward slash places.

Fletch

Smash Master
Linking other communities to our older games, unfortunately despite their relevance to Smash history, is probably not a good idea. The more recent the game, the more evident the decrease in skill. My favorite set of all time was probably the Isai/Ken set linked above, but after watching it, it is very apparent the difference in skill, speed, and tech that current smashers have over that. I have a feeling other communities would be more hype over more recent Melee.

Linking other communities to our older games, unfortunately despite their relevance to Smash history, is probably not a good idea. The more recent the game, the more evident the decrease in skill. My favorite set of all time was probably the Isai/Ken set linked above, but after watching it, it is very apparent the difference in skill, speed, and tech that current smashers have over that. I have a feeling other communities would be more hype over more recent Melee.
I sometimes wondered if it was the past that made some people so abstinent to melee because of how it was developed back then. Now, it may seem more fitting.

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068

They can be as pissed as they want.

Who gives 2 ****s about them lol.

No one should care about a group of people who think you have a mental deficiency because you play a game like this competitively.
/v/ is actually way more supportive of Smash than /vg/. The FG general on /vg/ has been an anti-smash circlejerk all week. "Autists fapping on couches", "stealing from their own event", "made the winner of Evo 2k8 give back his winnings", etc etc.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
lol come on guys, since when did v or vg become relevant to anything whatsoever <_<

Scar

#HarveyDent
I'm trying to get additional organization regarding this donation drive actually built into the boards - we'll see if we can make it happen.

In the meantime, there are several events coming up:
*MIOM Episode 5 on Sunday 1/27 (mark your calendars) - if anyone is waiting to make a big donation, it would be great if you could help fund another matching donation drive!
*Work with local TOs to host donation drives and donate funds to the drive
*Work with local tourney winners to get them to donate a portion of their winnings to the drive

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
(Accidentally posted this in the podcast thread)

Whoever donated, nice subtle reference.

Fletch

Smash Master
($8.95) The price those crazy Canadians wanted street fighter AE fans to pay to watch their stream of a tournament Major in 720 HD definition. It was totally unfair so people now use this as a troll reference.
So people stop asking.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
At 8 PM EST there will be a streamed episode of Show Me Your News that will touch on APEX 2013 and the EVO Donation Drive. You can check them out at http://www.livestream.com/showmeyournews

After they switched to a general video gaming news format, they've always taken time to mention big Smash news since that's what the podcast started on. I can't guarantee that they'll spend a large amount of time talking about APEX or EVO, and they definitely don't have anything planned for matching donations (you should save that for the next donation drive). But if you're in the mood for some video game-centric audio entertainment, giv'em a listen!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Might not be home to watch but sickkkkk

You know what'd be sick, if some started selling Erryday I'm Shffling shirts. Mostly cause I want one, and cause breast cancer too.

Gea

Smash Master
I miss that shirt that was like "Wavedashing is my anti-drug" and had the smash logo. We need an artist to make us some shirt designs that we can get printed on yetee or threadless. That would be so hype.

Edit: And Yetee worked with awesome games done quick to sell them for charity, we could always sponsor another charity event (BRING BACK SMASHAID) and sell them ontop of it.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, that's more for the GFAQs Smash community I'd think. I'd love to knock up some rough drafts or ideas if any artists wanted to stylize them or whatever. That's probably a better idea for another thread.

BrandX

Smash Ace
So away from the competitive aspect for a moment, I actually decided to count up all of the donations that all the communities have donated so far, and we have donated a total of $31,078 dollars

Let me repeat that

We have donated a total of $31,078.

Everyone, pat yourselves on the back. I'm predicting by the end of this drive, we will pass 50,000+ (or at least try)

Good job FGC!

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
So away from the competitive aspect for a moment, I actually decided to count up all of the donations that all the communities have donated so far, and we have donated a total of $31,078 dollars

Let me repeat that

We have donated a total of $31,078.

Everyone, pat yourselves on the back. I'm predicting by the end of this drive, we will pass 50,000+ (or at least try)

Good job FGC!
**** Walter junior raised more than that on the website he made for his dad lmao

:phone:

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
At 8 PM EST there will be a streamed episode of Show Me Your News that will touch on APEX 2013 and the EVO Donation Drive. You can check them out at http://www.livestream.com/showmeyournews

After they switched to a general video gaming news format, they've always taken time to mention big Smash news since that's what the podcast started on. I can't guarantee that they'll spend a large amount of time talking about APEX or EVO, and they definitely don't have anything planned for matching donations (you should save that for the next donation drive). But if you're in the mood for some video game-centric audio entertainment, giv'em a listen!
Pre-show has started if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom